• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

shockdude

Here's a post claiming that all of Cave's SH-3 games (including Mushihimesama) ran at 60Hz: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=24484

After mucking with GeDoSaTo and custom GPU resolutions for like 2 days, I've finally settled on a bizarre config that renders the game at pixel-perfect 4:3 1280x960, and correctly scales to both landscape and portrait desktop rotations.
Works extremely well, aside from having to rotate the desktop to play in landscape mode, and the black bars being sometimes filled with graphical garbage from the Steam overlay.

Config: http://pastebin.com/UBKcryc6
Better updated config: http://pastebin.com/jHQ5pN9J

Man I haven't played a shmup in a while. Pretty sure I did better at Original Maniac than at Novice Maniac, lol.

I've edited this post like 50 times, whoops.

jonjonaug

>tfw you do better on arrange mode than normal original

I don't understand, was it the increased firepower?

Arrange mode has auto-bomb and the increased firepower makes the first three stages quite a bit easier. The difficulty jump from Original->Maniac (the base bullet patterns for Arrange mode) is also smaller than you might expect. There's a lot more bullets, but most of the bullets are slower than in Original mode.

Shaneus

Here's a post claiming that all of Cave's SH-3 games (including Mushihimesama) ran at 60Hz: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=24484

After mucking with GeDoSaTo and custom GPU resolutions for like 2 days, I've finally settled on a bizarre config that renders the game at pixel-perfect 1280x960 and correctly scales to both landscape and portrait desktop rotations.
Works extremely well, aside from the black bars being sometimes filled with graphical garbage from the Steam overlay.

Config: http://pastebin.com/UBKcryc6
The 1920x1080 screenshot was actually rendered at 1080x1080 resolution lol. I edited it to provide a better representation of what it looks like on a monitor.

Man I haven't played a shmup in a while. Pretty sure I did better at Original Maniac than at Novice Maniac, lol.

I've edited this post like 50 times, whoops.
It's beautiful <3

LiK

finally played some of it and it's pretty good port. was testing out my mini Hori stick and it worked fine with it.

btw, how do i exit out of the game without the ol' Alt1+Tab method?

Arrange mode feels easier mainly due to automatically using a bomb if you get hit (although if you let the game do it you lose your entire stock of bombs, not sure if this is a glitch) and you have a smaller hitbox. Enemies fire more bullets at you, but with a smaller hit box and somewhat slower bullets (at least compared to Normal Original) it kind of tones it down.

I finally got past Stage 4 in Arranged mode without using a continue, but it gets chaotic even before the mid-boss of Stage 5...and I start freaking out. =S

I'm not very good at this game but I've been having a lot of fun trying to get better on Original Maniac mode. Can do the first two stages without dying so that's progress at least.

Llyranor

Yeah, this game is pretty awesome. I'm only at the point of going through the levels just to test it out (1cc comes later), and so far my very early impression is that 1.5 might be the way to go for me? There seems to be more slowdown (via more bullets on screen), which makes evading them manageable

Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering why the game just bombed for me sometimes, and I figure "maybe this is the game telling me I suck?"

A-at least I can make it to the stage 3 boss before using a continue ;__;

finally played some of it and it's pretty good port. was testing out my mini Hori stick and it worked fine with it.

btw, how do i exit out of the game without the ol' Alt1+Tab method?
There's an exit option at the bottom of the main menu.

Yeah, this game is pretty awesome. I'm only at the point of going through the levels just to test it out (1cc comes later), and so far my very early impression is that 1.5 might be the way to go for me? There seems to be more slowdown (via more bullets on screen), which makes evading them manageable

Yeah, 1.5 is definitely an easier mode. I'm having a lot of trouble getting used to the original game's fast bullet speed, and 1.5 is a lot more comfortable for me right now too.

japtor

Arrange mode feels easier mainly due to automatically using a bomb if you get hit (although if you let the game do it you lose your entire stock of bombs, not sure if this is a glitch) and you have a smaller hitbox. Enemies fire more bullets at you, but with a smaller hit box and somewhat slower bullets (at least compared to Normal Original) it kind of tones it down.

I finally got past Stage 4 in Arranged mode without using a continue, but it gets chaotic even before the mid-boss of Stage 5...and I start freaking out. =S
Haven't messed with it in this, but that's how the auto bombs work in the other games they've implemented it. It's the cost of auto bombing basically, instead of dying you lose your whole bomb stock. If you bomb properly (and don't get hit) you still get to use them up normally.

(And I have no clue how the hell scoring works in this, but in SDOJ the auto bomb broke your chain, while a manual bomb just reduced the chain)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I can't stop smiling while playing this. I hope we get more Cave games on Steam soon. =)

Just popped up on Steam:

v1.1.2.5 &#12463;&#12521;&#12483;&#12471;&#12517;&#20462;&#27491;&#12501;&#12524;&#12540;&#12512;&#12524;&#12540;&#12488;&#25913;&#21892;&#12288;/ Crash correction + Better Framerate
9 NOVEMBER - RM DEV
&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12399;&#19979;&#35352;&#12395;&#32154;&#12365;&#12414;&#12377;
v1.1.2.5 Patch Details

- Title Screen Crash Corrected the problem caused by a big friend list.
- Crash in offline mode Corrected the problem causing crash when Steam is in Offline mode.
- Framerate Linked the framerate to the monitor refresh screen, while supporting gamer's display with refresh rates higher than 60Hz.
- Leaderboard Removed the button to show the user profile.
- Stage Music Removed the Sound Pack option that should not have been displayed

We keep looking for fixes for all your reports. (Steam)

OmegaDL50

Can someone check whether the game saves settings/replays with Steam Cloud disabled?

I turned off Steam Cloud yesterday as that was one of the workarounds to prevent the start up crashes.

I can confirm as long as Steam Cloud was turned off none of my settings saved. In fact every time I switched screens in the main menu it repeatedly asked me to create a system file despite confirming it to do so.

Does this mean that this game only saves when entirely online? If that be the case that's kind of crappy.

epmode

Just popped up on Steam:

I picked up an update before I left for work, loaded Mushi with only the resolution fix enabled in GeDoSaTo and Fraps still saw 57 frames. I'll try again tonight.

I can confirm as long as Steam Cloud was turned off none of my settings saved. In fact every time I switched screens in the main menu it repeatedly asked me to create a system file despite confirming it to do so.

Does this mean that this game only saves when entirely online?

Yeesh, I hope that was just an oversight.

shockdude

The latest update broke in-game aspect ratio switching for me; it won't change the screen resolution until after restarting the game. Reported the issue in the Steam error thread.
It also didn't fix the framerate on my end.

Oh well, GeDoSaTo & RivaTuner still work.

SOME-MIST

it's not a glitch - that's how arrange was reworked for the xbox 360 HD port... which makes it harder than the ps2 version since it only expended one bomb item instead of your full stock.

Momentary

Banned
Just tried the new patch without GeDoSaTo at all. I even deleted the .ini and had Steam redownload the file. The game isn't crashing anymore, but the framerate is still fluctuating between 56-57 FPS. I didn't check out the music in 1.5 yet since I had to get to class. I'll check it out during a lunch break.

I was going to continue using GeDoSaTo for the res bump anyways, I'll just keep using the framerate solution offered through there.

epmode

Not even sure how to use GeDoSaTo, I'm just a scrub

The latest release works with the game automatically. It'll scale everything to your desktop resolution and will force 60 FPS. Just make sure it's running in the background before starting Mushihimesama.

Shane

1cc'd Novice. Now onto Novice Maniac.

Blowing the arms and then the head from the big beast was required (to grant that extra life).

TGMIII

Just tried the new patch without GeDoSaTo at all. I even deleted the .ini and had Steam redownload the file. The game isn't crashing anymore, but the framerate is still fluctuating between 56-57 FPS. I didn't check out the music in 1.5 yet since I had to get to class. I'll check it out during a lunch break.

I was going to continue using GeDoSaTo for the res bump anyways, I'll just keep using the framerate solution offered through there.

1.5 music is still horribly low quality.

Getting 60 solid after the patch. Saw some people say that the patch forced vsync for them on fullscreen and added notable input lag but from the quick testing I don't seem to have any and I'm usually fairly perspective to those things.

Obviously that's far from a technical analysis of if there is input lag being added and if the update did just apply VSYNC but I'd say that's probably not the case seeing how some people are still having framerate issues. Is there anyone here who's having framerate issues on a 120hz monitor?

Jazz573

1.5 music is still horribly low quality.

Getting 60 solid after the patch. Saw some people say that the patch forced vsync for them on fullscreen and added notable input lag but from the quick testing I don't seem to have any and I'm usually fairly perspective to those things.

Obviously that's far from a technical analysis of if there is input lag being added and if the update did just apply VSYNC but I'd say that's probably not the case seeing how some people are still having framerate issues. Is there anyone here who's having framerate issues on a 120hz monitor?

The music is like that in the 360 version too.

Has there been any word on if the controller support will be improved? It's quite the step down from other recent niche games on Steam. Having Start on the face buttons and being unable to properly remap is a big deal breaker for now. Also, is there a way to get the original OST in Arrange mode?

jonjonaug

Has there been any word on if the controller support will be improved? It's quite the step down from other recent niche games on Steam. Having Start on the face buttons and being unable to properly remap is a big deal breaker for now. Also, is there a way to get the original OST in Arrange mode?
You can remap buttons.

Durante

The patch does fix the startup crash problem completely. I removed the workaround from the game config in GeDoSaTo.

Which tool is the best to use? I already use DS4Windows for all other XInput-only games, but I'm not sure how or if that would work with a PS3 stick.

ChryZ

I use x360ce and it works like a charm with Mushihimesama. It emulates a 360 controller and comes with its own GUI for button mapping, etc http://www.x360ce.com/

Shaneus

I use x360ce and it works like a charm with Mushihimesama. It emulates a 360 controller and comes with its own GUI for button mapping, etc http://www.x360ce.com/
I think this is the game that will make me cave (pun unintended) and work on my arcade stick. I think it'll feel a lot better with that than any kind of pad solution.

It's going to be an iCade core dual-modded with the bluetooth PCB so I can still use it with my iPad.

Shane

Tried GeDoSaTo to improve the resolution. Made the change to the .ini file and now I have the constant crash when booting the game. Reverted it back and it's still crashing. Ugh.

Edit: Deleted the .ini file. Restarted. Crash fixed.

-Gozer-

I'm getting a solid smooth 60fps now with the new patch. I'm not experiencing any input lag as well which is a plus.

Framerate is the same for me after the patch. Bouncing around 56-58. The only thing as far as input lag I have noticed is swearing that I hit the bomb button before dying.

At least that is what I tell myself to feel better.

mdsfx

So after 1CCing Novice Original fairly easily and then getting my ass handed to me in Normal Original, I found the sweet spot at Novice Maniac. So f*cking glorious. Right at my skill level and great bullet patterns. Died at stage 5. So fun.

Up to date with all reported bugs and feature requests now.

Let me know if you're still running into any errors that should be fixed on V1.1.2.5.

It sounds like some users still aren't seeing 60 FPS yet, and VSync is causing some input lag. We'll keep working on optimizing the FPS and polishing the game in general.

Thanks for your patience and support so far.

linid0t

Damn the snake bug patterns in stage 4 are brutal! Trying to clear original, but if I mess up my rout at all and don't kill all the segments the bullets are too fast to dodge. I think I got a decent route going in though. Stage 5 is probably going to mess me up -_-

Also I still can't do the 1up segment in stage 3, and it's super annoying that there isn't an option to start halfway through the stage in training mode.

shockdude

1CC'd Novice Original. However the game didn't prompt me to save a replay. Not sure if I accidentally skipped the replay prompt or if that's a glitch; all I did was skip the credits by pressing 1, though it also didn't prompt me to save a high score.
Edit: didn't give me an achievement either. Will try again later.

Also Arrange mode is absurd and incredible. Impossible mad dashes through walls of bullets are always funny.
Up to date with all reported bugs and feature requests now.

Let me know if you're still running into any errors that should be fixed on V1.1.2.5.

It sounds like some users still aren't seeing 60 FPS yet, and VSync is causing some input lag. We'll keep working on optimizing the FPS and polishing the game in general.

Thanks for your patience and support so far.
For me the game doesn't use VSync, but it runs in borderless fullscreen even though it changes the resolution to 720p. It's easy to notice it when minimizing the game then reopening it; you can briefly see the desktop before the game refills the window.
Ideally the game should run in exclusive fullscreen, for minimal input latency.
But this might be a quirk with my laptop so I dunno.

Knurek

Just 2cced Novice Maniac.

Could have easily been a 1cc, but lost two lives to first boss and it was just not possible to handle the rest of the game on a single bomb stock.

Oh yeah, I've bombed like hell. Still not at a level to manage no bomb run, definitely not on Easy difficulty.

So, is my understanding of difficulties correct?

Novice Original -> Novice Maniac -> Novice Ultra == Normal Original -> Arrange -> Normal Maniac -> v1.5 -> Normal Ultra?

//EDIT
Bah, another almost 1cc, died on the last sliver of health of the last boss this time. FML...

So, is my understanding of difficulties correct?

Novice Original -> Novice Maniac -> Novice Ultra == Normal Original -> Arrange -> Normal Maniac -> v1.5 -> Normal Ultra?

1.5 is oversimplified; there are -six- modes within the 1.5 banner, from Original to Ultra MAX. I'd also slot the difficulty of Novice Ultra significantly lower than Normal Original. I also personally think Normal Maniac is easier than Normal Original, but that's mainly because I can deal with dense, slow patterns better than speedy bullets out of nowhere.

Top Bottom