• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

Knurek

I 1cc'ed the game on second try, I don't know what you guys are talking about in regards to supposed difficulty of CAVE shooters.

Novice Original, obviously. Other modes... Well, maybe in a few months

Is this the same as the PS2 port (aside from the HD assets)?

It is based on the 360 port and has the Ver 1.5 mode as DLC which the PS2 version did not have. I believe the arrange mode is similar but had some changes but I've never played the PS2 version.

E: Giveaway is done. Thanks for all who entered and congrats to the winners!

I remember when I was a kid I searched up "hardest video game boss" on YouTube, and a clip from the Japanese version of this game came up. It was the first time that I saw a bullet hell game, so I was amazed and almost scared in a way. I wanna get it now.

japtor

The arcade board was, but this port uses much higher definition sprites than what were present on the original hardware. You could force the game down to 240x320 to try to approximate the original if you really wanted to.
And even then it'd look off cause the score displays and stuff were pixel perfect at 240p. Best case might be like the SDOJ port where it seems nice at 480i (where as the other ports I've tried seem a bit off/blurry without a bunch of adjustment). Yeah you'll get interlacing and won't be arcade perfect, but if it looks sharp and clear it's generally better than the mess you might end up with trying to scale down to 240p...which I guess would be displaying at 480i anyway unless you have one of those arcade card outputs or a converter.
Pulling up sources again, seems it's off, but not quite -that- off: the arcade board was measured to run at 59.17Hz output, putting it at around the same neighborhood as Capcom CPS2. This still results in a noticeable speed difference, as cited in this side by side comparison.
I've never played them side by side, but from when I played the 360 my impression wasn't so much that it was faster as much as just smoother (granted part of that is probably from the speed difference if it's there). The PCB has a distinct look and feel cause it seems to just straight up drop frames, it gets noticeably choppy at times. It also has the whole sprite limit glitching thing but that's another issue.

Knurek

Is it me, or are there ridiculous levels of slowdown?

I mean, I'm aware both the arcade and x360 versions had one, buy I've just watched a replay from the xbox port and PC version seems to run terrible in comparison. :(

Tain

I've never heard of a 56 Hz arcade game. Then again, anything is possible in arcade machines :p

Still, it's a port of the 360 version, and that was most definitely 60 FPS.

R-Type of all games is 55hz. So are the Raiden Fighters games (edit: beaten there).

Arcade hardware is weird.

OmegaDL50

Most Arcade STGs have intentional levels of slowdown by design.

Which is why I still consider the Dot Emu port of Raiden Legacy to be terrible. They removed all of the intentional slowdown which meant bullets moved faster than they should which ultimately affects the playability of the game due to inability to properly react because of the game running faster than intended.

If the game slows down but it's STILL challenging to dodge enemy bullets, then it's probably an intended effect, just consider if that slowdown didn't exist and it makes dodging impossible then that would answer your question.

Especially when Arcade games on the PCB had odd frame timings.

In the case for Mushihimesama on Steam however, Degica has acknowledged there are some framerate issues that they are working on fix according to a post over at Shmups forums.

MrDoctor

I remember when I was a kid I searched up "hardest video game boss" on YouTube, and a clip from the Japanese version of this game came up. It was the first time that I saw a bullet hell game, so I was amazed and almost scared in a way. I wanna get it now.
that isn't right man. i saw that vid when i was in middle school and you're making me feel way too old.

Tried installing SCP PS3 drivers? Should make your PS3 controller show as a 360 pad and might get things going for you.

I use a PS4 controller for all other PC gaming, so I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it. The controller support in this game is quite the step down from recent shmups like Crimzon Clover and Raiden 4.

Accoun

I've never heard of a 56 Hz arcade game. Then again, anything is possible in arcade machines :p

Apparently VF2 runs at... 57.5 FPS or something. According to the VF Wikia, the PS2 port has an option to enable it. I think it's the same with other Model 2 games.

Anne

People keep saying the original arcade hardware was 60 Hz exact, in this thread and in the Steam community hub.

What I've learned over a few years of messing with older arcade hardware, nothing actually runs at the speed people claim until you test it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
*lol* Ok, I'm not the only one then feeling that way..
I'm right with you.

Actually, I've always felt that shmups skew older. Lots of 90s Japanese arcade DNA in there, so the people who were around back then embrace it the most.

OK!

Locking down the giveaway. Thanks for all that entered. Invites/emails going out momentarily.

Edit: and they are off. Congrats to the winners.

God damn it. Missed my Normal Original PB by 1000 points. I no missed up until Stage 4 boss where I died because I pressed the bomb button too late. Then I died like 3 times during Stage 5 for no reason whatsoever. Sigh. This game :p

OmegaDL50

OK!

Locking down the giveaway. Thanks for all that entered. Invites/emails going out momentarily.

Edit: and they are off. Congrats to the winners.

Cool giveaway. Good Luck everyone

Is there a list of who won? Because this was done differently compared to the normal thing with Modbot.

linid0t

hmmm, online leaderboards seem a little messed up?
There are quite a few very low scores that are on. Glitch or hax maybe?

I guess I should have added a GAF name option since I am not sure how people feel about putting their steam name out there. I guess I can throw out the avatar descriptions for the winners since those are dumb and fun anyway. People are, of course, free to announce themselves.

Winner Avatar Descriptions
White cat paws
green circle
a waving cat with cape
Guy with stripped shirt and is adjusting his hat
Bolo from the Shantae series
Saitama (bald guy)

OmegaDL50

I guess I should have added a GAF name option since I am not sure how people feel about putting their steam name out there. I guess I can throw out the avatar descriptions for the winners since those are dumb and fun anyway. People are, of course, free to announce themselves.

White cat paws
green circle
a waving cat with cape
Saitama (bald guy)

Cool. Thanks again for your generosity.

schwupp

White cat paws
green circle
a waving cat with cape
Saitama (bald guy)

big thanks - from the cat with cape :)

Shaneus

Holy shit, I have a weekend away from GAF and this thread grows exponentially. Cave/Degica may well have a hit on their hands!

Also, I just opened that "give mushi" link because I thought it might've been for collating friends lists/scores, not as an actual giveaway. So don't count "Shaneus2k2" if that username wins!

jonjonaug

It is based on the 360 port and has the Ver 1.5 mode as DLC which the PS2 version did not have. I believe the arrange mode is similar but had some changes but I've never played the PS2 version.

E: Giveaway is done. Thanks for all who entered and congrats to the winners!

I think the arrange mode in the PS2 version only used one bomb when you auto-bombed, so it was easier to finish. This version uses your entire bomb stock if you auto-bomb.

OmegaDL50

Anyone familiar with PuyoPuyo?

You know that puzzle game with the multi-colored blobs and when you made combos it dropped more objects on your opponents side of the field like those clear blobs for example.

Well playing that today gave me an interesting idea.

I don't believe any developer such as Cave or whoever else ever made a competitive STG.

The premise is similar to Puyo Puyo.

Both players play in split screen and control their ships with an identical setup, with a same spawn pattern of enemies that approach and fire. However the gimmick in this is the player who has the higher score chain causes more enemies and more curtain fire patterns to appear on the opposing player's side.

However with the additional risk with more enemies on screen means it's counter attack potential for opposing player to get a big combo chain with the additional enemy spawn. This causes a direct seesaw effect of more and more enemies spawning to a point in which one side is completely overwhelmed.

I guess Fighting game rules of 2 out of 3 could apply, or the first player to lose their 3 lives.

Of course this sort of mode would probably only as an optional to a normal game with a 5 or 6 stage standard completion.

In fact there could also be bonus mini-challenges in the middle of a match in which a Boss Enemy will spawn and both players would need to defeat the boss as quickly as possible, the winner gets a power up, providing a incentive more doing better.

It's an interesting idea, no? I don't believe I ever played a competitive split-screen shooter like my idea, if I had any sort of developer talent, I would try to make it, but maybe the idea would be appealing to someone and they would give it a try.

I'm right with you.

Actually, I've always felt that shmups skew older. Lots of 90s Japanese arcade DNA in there, so the people who were around back then embrace it the most.

Very true, but it's great to see the younger crowd embrace it and not brush it off as something that's just "old school" and "obsolete" as well.

Holy shit, I have a weekend away from GAF and this thread grows exponentially. Cave/Degica may well have a hit on their hands!

Also, I just opened that "give mushi" link because I thought it might've been for collating friends lists/scores, not as an actual giveaway. So don't count "Shaneus2k2" if that username wins!

We did put together a GAF STG group. Probably the best way to track people down for friending for leaderboards. I am still hopeful that things like Group leaderboards will become a thing in Steam shmups but until then it will have to do.

Created a Steam group. Not sure if there are any guidelines to follow for this sort of thing but will make adjustments as needed. It is bare bones at the moment. Will get it fixed up over the next few days. To my knowledge not many shmups support group features but maybe this will help things along. Like I said, group leaderboards as a common feature would be crazy nice.

Currently invite only so if you want to join either reply here or send me a PM and I'll get an invite out to you. Make sure to include your Steam Profile Name (Click here to confirm you are sending over the right name.) Once any kinks are worked out I'll post in the more general shmup threads.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NeoSTG

(Quick little aside about the Steam group. Anyone have any idea why I can't recommend games? I did the setup to become a curator but when I try to do the actual recommendation it says I need to Select a product to recommend, but typing anything in the box does nothing. I figured Steam is just acting up, but might as well ask.)

OmegaDL50

We did put together a GAF STG group. Probably the best way to track people down for friending for leaderboards. I am still hopeful that things like Group leaderboards will become a thing in Steam shmups but until then it will have to do.

Can I have an invite please?

I am definitely a big time STG fan.

Steam name is Professor Prinny.

Steam Avatar is the same as the one as my NeoGAF Avatar.

Ah...

Twinkle Star Sprites is a Neo Geo game. Didn't know that was a competitive STG, and I didn't know there was a Touhou Curtain Fire game that was similar, even though my experience was only with Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil and Perfect Cherry Blossom.

Durante

Phantasmagoria of Flower View is great fun, but you need to bring together people locally who are into shmups and roughly equally skilled.

Nontrivial.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone tried this through Steam Link? I'm really curious how much lag there is, and if it's playable.

Miff

Wooooooooo just cleared Novice Original without losing a life, there's some furious air fisting going down over here. Novice Maniac is the one to move to next, right?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ah...

Twinkle Star Sprites is a Neo Geo game. Didn't know that was a competitive STG, and I didn't know there was a Touhou Curtain Fire game that was similar, even though my experience was only with Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil and Perfect Cherry Blossom.

twinkle star sprites is one of my favorite games ever. when i can actually coax people into playing we end up going for hours and have a blast. the dreamcast has the best port of the original, and there's a sequel on ps2 that's pretty ugly, but still really fun.
you can also cheap out and play it on mame

jonjonaug

Wooooooooo just cleared Novice Original without losing a life, there's some furious air fisting going down over here. Novice Maniac is the one to move to next, right?

If you're totally new to this stuff, I'd recommend Novice Original->Novice Maniac->either Novice Ultra/regular Original (about equal in difficulty, although they play very differently)->regular Maniac/Arrange mode->wherever you want.

Has anyone tried this through Steam Link? I'm really curious how much lag there is, and if it's playable.

No but I'd say forget it. Any amount of input lag is way too much input lag. This genre is probably the most sensitive one around when it comes to latency along with fighting games.

Justinh

Congrats to winners!

I just bought this game earlier today, but I haven't gone about to turning my screen yet. My monitor does rotate, just, cables and stuff, you know...

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Decided to take the plunge and get this the day it came out, and while I'm terrible at bullet hell shmups this has been a ton of fun. I have a long way to go before I can hope to memorize everything here, but in the meantime there are a lot of glorious explosions to take in and I really like the soundtrack. Also, Arrange Mode = Weeeeeeeeeee! \(^_^)/

OmegaDL50

Oh wow, this game is crazy addicting.

I don't think I've ever been this immersed in a STG since Crimzon Clover or maybe Dodonpachi Daioujou.

Ah...

There's also Touhou 3: Phantasmagoria of Dim Dream, the grandaddy of Flower View. It hates you and wants you to die.

You might try it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

yMK9ymp.gif

This asshole. Right here.

Should be cited. For a traffic violation.

For speeding.

Shaneus

FWIW, Pinball Arcade is nearly unplayable on Steam Link, and I'd say that has a far greater tolerance for lag than any bullet-hell shmup. On the bright side, whatever you're Steam Linking to I suspect could probably handle Mushihimesama natively.

Top Bottom