• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MvsC3: Mike Haggar & (Jean Grey) Phoenix confirmed.

ElyrionX

Monocle said:
What's so special about Haggar? His character design is unremarkable and his fighting style is completely uninteresting. He just screams generic wrestler character. Looks like a waste of a slot to me.

Characters like Vergil got booted out of the initial roster so we could have this shit?

My thoughts exactly. I really really don't understand why so many people are rooting for him. Is it really nostalgia here?

Monocle

dankir said:
LOL Vergil....
What a persuasive argument! Are you some sort of scholar?

ElyrionX said:
My thoughts exactly. I really really don't understand why so many people are rooting for him. Is it really nostalgia here?
It has to be. I really wish someone would clue me in about how this bizarre cultlike reverence developed for a character that seems so thoroughly bland.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Monocle said:
What's so special about Haggar? His character design is unremarkable and his fighting style is completely uninteresting. He just screams generic wrestler character. Looks like a waste of a slot to me.

Characters like Vergil got booted out of the initial roster so we could have this shit?
QFT.

LiK

ElyrionX said:
He hasn't been in any traditional fighting game evar and yes, he's a classic Capcom character. They've had almost every other major Final Fight character in a fighter except him. So yes, I'm excited. Hate all you want, I'm happy.

Four surprises in two trailers.

Phoenix honestly looks and plays stunningly well. Her theme is amazing and her voice actress really believes she has destroyed planets. Haggar is surprisingly catching my interest. I didn't expect much out of him, but I find myself wanting to pile drive someone now. His theme is also very cool in a retro kind of way. I had not seen any gameplay videos of zero so I had no idea he was even in the game. I'll go and hunt his videos down. Last, but not least... Amateratsu's alternate color looks pretty cool.

NICE

Skilletor

Monocle said:

Why would you assume Vergil would replace Haggar? I would think they would want a certain number of a specific archetype, i.e. Haggar is a grappler, Vergil would be more like Dante. Haggar, then, would probably be more accurate to say, "We got Haggar instead of Zangief?"

ElyrionX

Skilletor said:
Why would you assume Vergil would replace Haggar? I would think they would want a certain number of a specific archetype, i.e. Haggar is a grappler, Vergil would be more like Dante. Haggar, then, would probably be more accurate to say, "We got Haggar instead of Zangief?"

If they wanted a grappler, Nero could have been adapted as such. And even Nero would be vastly more interesting than Haggar.

Nemesis_

dankir said:
LOL Vergil....

He may not be anymore interesting as Haggar but he definitely has abilities and such that fit in a Versus game much more than Haggar. I fucking hate grapplers in Versus games and with She-Hulk already in, it seems stupid to put him in.

Bah.

Thank god for DLC >_>

Skilletor said:

B-But using the cliche Vergil argument, "They don't play anything alike."

Relax, Vergil-boys. There's still a chance he could be DLC. Of course he won't be part of the initial roster, but at least its something.

Monocle

LiK said:
He hasn't been in any traditional fighting game evar and yes, he's a classic Capcom character. They've had almost every other major Final Fight character in a fighter except him. So yes, I'm excited. Hate all you want, I'm happy.
Oh, so his appeal is sort of the same flavor as Mr. Game and Watch's in Super Smash Bros. Melee? Jeez, at least G&W has some sort of personality to catch the interest of people who aren't familiar with his origin.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You cannot bitch that Haggar is "generic" without acknowledging that "classic" characters like Captain America and honest, even Wolverine, are not just as generic. Those guys have visually unremarkable fighting styles if pure special effects and contortions is all you care about, especially in context of MvC3's cast with outrageous entries like Super Skrull and Sir Arthur.

Even nostalgia aside (Haggar is major Capcom rep), you need a variety of characters to ground the cast. Would people REALLY have preferred seeing Zangief copypasted again to fill in the grappler spot on Capcom's side? He sure is more unique than Mike Haggar :lol

ElyrionX said:
If they wanted a grappler, Nero could have been adapted as such. And even Nero would be vastly more interesting than Haggar.
Or they would have lifted Alex from TvC with minimal effort considering his moveset was already done for them

LiK

Monocle said:
Oh, so his appeal is sort of the same flavor as Mr. Game and Watch's in Super Smash Bros. Melee? Jeez, at least G&W has some sort of personality to catch the interest of people who aren't familiar with his origin.
Sure, this is for the old school fans. Nothing wrong with it, imo.

entremet

ElyrionX said:
We don't need more silvered hair bishonens in Marvel. One is enough.

ElyrionX said:
Yeah, lets replace the MANLIEST major in the world with some Bishonen femboy. Idol Master might be more to your liking.

webrunner

I'm sure everyone would like to have a roster of all characters they like.

But any game is overall ideally going to be made of characters that SOMEONE likes so that the most people can have characters that they like.

Haggar's inclusion doesn't hurt you. The game isn't 40 copies of haggar.

webrunner said:
I'm sure everyone would like to have a roster of all characters they like.

But any game is overall ideally going to be made of characters that SOMEONE likes so that the most people can have characters that they like.

Haggar's inclusion doesn't hurt you. The game isn't 40 copies of haggar.

Quoted for truth. This is exactly how I feel. They cannot cater to the whim of every fanboy, so they're including as many different flavors of characters as they can.

Ezalc

Damn all these people hating on Haggar suggesting shittier characters take his place. Like Vergil and Nero. You say Haggar is generic and ask for fucking Dante 2.0? You serious with this shit?

Kusagari

Vergil isn't going to happen fanboys. His chances were 0 after they announced Trish. I really doubt he's even made DLC.

Monocle said:

Were people this opposed to Arthur and Rad Spencer being included for nostalgia's sake? He's a classic character, the game is short on grapplers. Most people would view Nero and Vergil as shoto-clones of Dante.

Monocle

Kaijima said:
You cannot bitch that Haggar is "generic" without acknowledging that "classic" characters like Captain America and honest, even Wolverine, are not just as generic. Those guys have visually unremarkable fighting styles if pure special effects and contortions is all you care about, especially in context of MvC3's cast with outrageous entries like Super Skrull and Sir Arthur.

Even nostalgia aside (Haggar is major Capcom rep), you need a variety of characters to ground the cast. Would people REALLY have preferred seeing Zangief copypasted again to fill in the grappler spot on Capcom's side? He sure is more unique than Mike Haggar :lol
But Wolverine and Captain America are iconic characters, longstanding members of the pantheon of popular culture. Haggar doesn't enjoy the same status, and from where I'm sitting, he doesn't have the charisma to compensate for it.

Skilletor said:
Oh, I don't. I mentioned Vergil because he's a natural choice for a character in a MvC game, and every slot filled is one less available for other candidates. Naturally, I'd rather slots not be wasted on dull characters. A lot of people have a more favorable opinion about Haggar, but I'm here to represent my own view.

Edit:
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Were people this opposed to Arthur and Rad Spencer being included for nostalgia's sake? He's a classic character, the game is short on grapplers. Most people would view Nero and Vergil as shoto-clones of Dante.
Arthur and Rad Spencer bring unique abilities and attributes to the roster. As far as I can tell, Haggar is remarkable only in his freakish uniformity.

Anyone who knows anything about Devil May Cry is aware that Vergil is the polar opposite of Dante in nearly every way, especially in terms of fighting style.

LiK

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The last time I saw such venom was for MODOK.

Ezalc

Sho_Nuff82 said:

People were pissed it was the new shitty bionic commando and not the old school one.

LiK

_dementia said:
This really perplexed me because MODOK looks like the most interesting character to play as in this game.
I think people hated him for his design and they didn't know who he was. But yea, I wanna see how he plays.

Monocle said:
Oh, I don't. I mentioned Vergil because he's a natural choice for a character in a MvC game, and every slot filled is one less available for other candidates. Naturally, I'd rather slots not be wasted on dull characters. A lot of people have a more favorable opinion about Haggar, but I'm here to represent my own view.

you're pretty charming with the foam coming out of your mouth.

Kusagari

_dementia said:
This really perplexed me because MODOK looks like the most interesting character to play as in this game.

He's 'ugly'. We need more bishounen silver haired pretty boys in the game instead of ugly interesting characters.

_dementia said:

Yeah, seriously. He'll probably be one of the characters that I'll use and I'm not familiar with his character at all.

Kusagari said:
He's 'ugly'. We need more bishounen silver haired pretty boys in the game instead of ugly interesting characters.

MCPhoto_20100629_213104.png

MCPhoto_20100629_213153.png

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Well its not that MvC3 is drowning in grapplers.
Haggar is welcome.

ElyrionX

Ezalc said:
Damn all these people hating on Haggar suggesting shittier characters take his place. Like Vergil and Nero. You say Haggar is generic and ask for fucking Dante 2.0? You serious with this shit?

Vergil and Nero are not Dante 2.0, for fucks sake.

Vergil uses the katana far more extensively than Dante, which leads to a remarkably different fighting style. He also uses spirit swords offensively and defensively and the way it's implemented in DMC3SE was quite different in application than Dante's guns.

Nero uses the demon arm and could have been some sort of semi-grappler character. His devil form is also significantly different from Dante/Vergil and it would have been awesome to see it in MvC3.

Aesthetically, both characters' moves would look fantastic and would fit very well in MvC3 and they would hardly be Dante clones. At the very least, they wouldn't be anywhere close to what Haggar is to Zangief and what Ken is to Ryu.

dankir

LiK said:

Thank you!!!

QFT!!!

Monocle

DryEyeRelief said:
you're pretty charming with the foam coming out of your mouth.
You'll be shocked to learn that individual people have personal preferences. If that's too much for you to swallow all at once, I recommend you take a few deep breaths and then tackle this message again one word at a time. Pace yourself and remember to take regular breaks.

We all know who Capcom's stories are in Fighting Games. They are horrible. I'm surprised that they are attempting to make a story here, but where does Akuma fits in this game? Also, is Jean Grey another villain or hero?

ElyrionX said:
Vergil and Nero are not Dante 2.0, for fucks sake.

Vergil uses the katana far more extensively than Dante, which leads to a remarkably different fighting style. He also uses spirit swords offensively and defensively and the way it's implemented in DMC3SE was quite different in application than Dante's guns.

Nero uses the demon arm and could have been some sort of semi-grappler character. His devil form is also significantly different from Dante/Vergil and it would have been awesome to see it in MvC3.

Aesthetically, both characters' move would look fantastic and would fit very well in MvC3 and they would hardly be Dante clones. At the very least, they wouldn't be anywhere close to what Haggar is to Zangief and what Ken is to Ryu.

But Zangief and Haggar are not in the game at the same time. Nor is Ken and Ryu. So, Haggar and Ryu are fine.

Honestly, the less characters from the same series, the better. It gives more of a chance for other characters to appear. Jin Saotome? Strider?

You guys have to keep in mind, like I said, the game developers cannot cater to your every whim. They're trying to branch out and include favorites from as many spots as they can. Everyone has their own opinions on who is "bland", "stupid", "ugly", etc. If you don't like the Haggar inclusion so much, no one said you had to play as him. I mean, I love Haggar's inclusion, but you don't see me rushing to play as him. There are other characters...

Edit: But Akuma's in. *sigh.*

ElyrionX

Kusagari said:

MODOK is ugly and that's part of the reason why I don't like him as well. But at least I can see the inclusion of him in MvC3 as being somewhat logical and he certainly looks interesting.

Haggar is the fucking blandest of character they could have included. I watched his trailer with an open mind and still found it to be extremely underwhelming.

Monocle said:
You'll be shocked to learn that individual people have personal preferences. If that's too much for you to swallow all at once, I recommend you take a few deep breaths and then tackle this message again one word at a time. Pace yourself and remember to take regular breaks.

coming from the dude trying to shove "haggar haz no charizma wah wah" down everyone's throats.

V_Arnold

You know what is real funny about this?
This character discussion is like this in every single thread of every single fighting game ever announced.

Then, if the game is truly a touch of genius like SFIV was last time, people will stop bitching at one point and will TRY that hated character. And then realize it plays godlike, and it feels just right.

Most notable SFIV characters to do that for ME: Viper, Rufus, Hakan, Abel. You can only comment the looks, but not really the feels. And sooner or later, people will try out Haggar, MODOK, and all the "ugly" ones, and decide if they play well or play bad.

Skilletor

ElyrionX said:

I imagine Nero's arm mechanic being used more like Rad Spencer than a grappler, and, still, he wouldn't replace a Zangief/Haggar character.

ElyrionX

Also, people who've never played Nero or Vergil in the DMC games need to shut the fuck up about those two being Dante clones.

Monocle

DryEyeRelief said:
coming from the dude trying to shove "haggar haz no charizma wah wah" down everyone's throats.
So what you're trying to tell me here is that my opinion is wrong? I'll take that under advisement.

ShinAmano

spindashing said:
Quoted for truth. This is exactly how I feel. They cannot cater to the whim of every fanboy, so they're including as many different flavors of characters as they can.
Exactly...I am happy to have Haggar...I could go on about how lame Modok, Amaterasu, Tron Bonne, Viewtiful Joe and Zero are, but you don't hear me bitching I will just ignore them...I might give Amaterasu and Modok a chance but the others I feel are waste of space.

Top Bottom