• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MvsC3: Mike Haggar & (Jean Grey) Phoenix confirmed.

HaggarSharkPink.jpg

P.S. The shark is Vergil.

Barrage said:
But I realized it would leave the Weeaboos and 90's Kids weeping about the lack of Dante siblings and 1992 Gambit, so i'm back on the team again.

:lol :lol :lol Fuck, but ... I love 1992 Gambit. Can I still be on that team?

Haggar is fine. Would you rather it be Gief again? I mean they were going to include a grappler if some of you liked it or not.

Duckroll said:
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY LEI LEI? :(

She'll probably be revealed next. There isn't that much characters left to reveal if we go by Lupinko's list, right?
I'm still hoping for some random additions not on the list. Such as a form of MegaMan...

ElyrionX said:
Exactly. There are *many* characters that I don't particularly fancy. Tron Bonne, MODOK, Shuma Gorath, She-Hulk, X-23, etc. But out of everyone, Haggar is the biggest waste of a slot. Not only is he aesthetically bland and generic but his play style is just as uninteresting.

You'd think with how much Capcom and Marvel are stressing that the game has a story that some of the character choices would have been more thought out. Then again, Capcom thought Rad Spencer would be a better choice/fit than someone like Doc Ock. And now we have the magical man who's bionic arm switches sides during the match for some unknown reason. :lol

Lothars

ElyrionX said:
Vergil and Nero are not Dante 2.0, for fucks sake.

Vergil uses the katana far more extensively than Dante, which leads to a remarkably different fighting style. He also uses spirit swords offensively and defensively and the way it's implemented in DMC3SE was quite different in application than Dante's guns.

Nero uses the demon arm and could have been some sort of semi-grappler character. His devil form is also significantly different from Dante/Vergil and it would have been awesome to see it in MvC3.

Aesthetically, both characters' moves would look fantastic and would fit very well in MvC3 and they would hardly be Dante clones. At the very least, they wouldn't be anywhere close to what Haggar is to Zangief and what Ken is to Ryu.

I disagree, I think that it's a better fit to have Haggar in the game compared to both Vergil or Nero because there's already two DMC characters in the game and we don't need anymore but I would be fine if they were DLC just not in the main game.

It's gonna be interesting to see how Haggar works out but from his videos he looks interesting and I wanna try him at least.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Way Haggar Fits:
- A classic Capcom Rep making into a VS game.
- A VS Game Grappler.
- Able to go things character in non-VS games can't do (combo into air throw)
- Simple abilities, now over the top! (Atomic Pile drive leads to mini Atomic explosion!)
- Extra-exaggerated normals (Looks like Lead pipe for fierce attacks?)

They've (and this is only based off what we've seen so far) done a good job making him be "the normal guy who puts fear into super heroes/villans", I say. Marvel's allowed to have those. It's not all about huge fire effects and ramped-to-11 Ki/Mutant attacks.

Best rule in these kinda games ends up being "Do you like Character X? No? Well that's fine, as long as there's an A, Y, and Z that you DO like!"

As an SNK fan, I'm always happy to see a "dynamic" grappler anywho. Haggar looks like he can keep up with the momentum of the combo-crazy style of the game, while still bringing the slower, powerful style of combat into the mix. I don't really LIKE playing Gief in SF, personally, but I can already see Haggar as a possible favorite. Good show, Capcom.

Takuan

I don't like a lot of the character choices, but the ones I do warrant a day one.

I would've rather had Vergil, too, but meh.

corrosivefrost said:
You'd think with how much Capcom and Marvel are stressing that the game has a story that some of the character choices would have been more thought out. Then again, Capcom thought Rad Spencer would be a better choice/fit than someone like Doc Ock. And now we have the magical man who's bionic arm switches sides during the match for some unknown reason. :lol

uhh...Spencer is from capcom and Doctor Octopus is from marvel

ElyrionX

SonOfABeep said:
Fortunately there are going to be like 40 characters by the time they're done so even if 10 of them annoy you you'll have plenty to choose from.

Oh, definitely. I mean, this game is confirmed day one for me a long time ago and I suck at fighting games.

Kimosabae

Banned
People are so idiotic and childish, it's sickening.

Character you personally don't care for = Character that doesn't fit = Capcom is trying to screw your tastes/is making bad decisions.

You have to be a maternal basement dweller with Transformers linings covering your bunk bed.

Have to be.

SAB CA said:
Way Haggar Fits:
- A classic Capcom Rep making into a VS game.
- A VS Game Grappler.
- Able to go things character in non-VS games can't do (combo into air throw)
- Simple abilities, now over the top! (Atomic Pile drive leads to mini Atomic explosion!)
- Extra-exaggerated normals (Looks like Lead pipe for fierce attacks?)

They've (and this is only based off what we've seen so far) done a good job making him be "the normal guy who puts fear into super heroes/villans", I say. Marvel's allowed to have those. It's not all about huge fire effects and ramped-to-11 Ki/Mutant attacks.

Best rule in these kinda games ends up being "Do you like Character X? No? Well that's fine, as long as there's an A, Y, and Z that you DO like!"

As an SNK fan, I'm always happy to see a "dynamic" grappler anywho. Haggar looks like he can keep up with the momentum of the combo-crazy style of the game, while still bringing the slower, powerful style of combat into the mix. I don't really LIKE playing Gief in SF, personally, but I can already see Haggar as a possible favorite. Good show, Capcom.

Thank you. I still can't wrap my head around someone saying Haggar does not "fit" into the game. Bolded is what I've been saying for awhile now. If some of you do not like any of the characters chosen, then by all means, don't buy the game.

Kaldea

So happy with Phoenix. :D Probably the top Marvel female I wanted in.

EDIT:
What is Phoenix saying that the end of her trailer exactly?
I hear "I destroyed whole planets, so what chance have you got?". :lol

Monocle

DryEyeRelief said:
I never said you were wrong. I suggested with "foam coming out of your mouth" that for someone trying to only express his opinion, you're going a mile and a half with it. i don't like felicia and x-23 but i can live without the nerd rage. can you?
Sure. I hope you aren't interpreting strongly worded posts as signs of profound emotional turmoil or whatever. I like to think most of GAF, myself included, have a healthy sense of proportion. It's hard to stumble this far into nerd territory on accident. We're discussing video games on the internet: it's an engaging but often trivial pastime. With this common understanding in place, it's unnecessary and even absurd to deny ourselves the full range and depth and intensity of expression when we're exchanging views.

dankir said:
I can blame you, and you can be sure I'll make a frowny face while I do it.

shagg_187 said:
Dark Pheonix is the worst idea ever. What the fuck is this resurrection bullshit?
considering her health and the fact you need five stocks to activate it, it probably won't be a super viable tactic.

People hating on Haggar's aesthetic musta not noticed that 'stache. The only crime here is that that moustache hasn't been in more games.

ElyrionX

Monocle said:
Sure. I hope you aren't interpreting strongly worded posts as signs of profound emotional turmoil or whatever. I like to think most of GAF, myself included, have a healthy sense of proportion. It's hard to stumble this far into nerd territory on accident. We're discussing video games on the internet: it's an engaging but often trivial pastime. With this common understanding in place, it's unnecessary and even absurd to deny ourselves the full range and depth and intensity of expression when we're exchanging views.

I can blame you, and you can be sure I'll make a frowny face while I do it.

I seem to keep agreeing with you but yeah :lol. Spot on again.

I honestly couldn't care less whether Haggar was included or not outside of this board.

voodoopanda said:
People hating on Haggar's aesthetic musta not noticed that 'stache. The only crime here is that that moustache hasn't been in more games.

It's not a spikey hairstyle that's blonde or white. Nor does he own a sword and have "troubled emotions" so he's not kawaii desu ne *.*

Kusagari

voodoopanda said:

Bishounen's don't wear staches. They have smooth faces and lips made of cherry blossoms.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
lupinko said:
Hey do I get a super special tag that shows the awesomeness of my leaks?

If not then that's fine too. :lol

not that I doubt your list, but just wait until they announce Hsien-Ko and Sentinel.

other reason is that n3ss said otherwise about your list. Who will win at the end.

lupinko

IntelliHeath said:
not that I doubt your list, but just wait until they announce Hsien-Ko and Sentinel.

other reason is that n3ss said otherwise about your list. Who will win at the end.

Fair enough.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
LiK said:
What's the story behind your leaks? Did you happen to come upon a secret meeting?
Lupinko is S-Kill.

Wheres my CvS3 Lupinko? What about the Capcom/SNK CES 2011 flyer? SPILL IT.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/06/marvel-vs-capcom-3-preview/

lol @

Another broken newcomer is Arthur. His limitless well of projectiles (seen in the video above) ensures that most characters can't get near him.

Some of the new fighters, on the other hand, aren't working quite so well. Resident Evil's Wesker is entirely broken in the preview build I played and needs to be balanced in the final game. He could instantly punish any opponent, no matter where the character was on the screen. He could even punish characters that were off-screen, too. In one match, when Storm missed her Super as she stood two screen lengths above me, I easily found her with Wesker's Super, a generous application of his custom shiatsu massage of punches and kicks.

Lothars

lupinko said:
Fair enough.

I am not doubting your leaks but I think ultimately what will confirm is Hsien-Ko if she gets announced than I would say that confirms your list fully but I do hope there's characters that will be announced that we don't know about yet.

zlatko

Banned
Kimosabae said:
People are so idiotic and childish, it's sickening.

Character you personally don't care for = Character that doesn't fit = Capcom is trying to screw your tastes/is making bad decisions.

You have to be a maternal basement dweller with Transformers linings covering your bunk bed.

Have to be.

Woah woah woah woah....you hating on Transformers?

tumblr_left4tCTPB1qf8yek.gif

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I never followed comics anymore after what, 2001, but Phoenix is perfect - she looks incredible style-wise AND art-wise where lots of the characters look ugly as hell in this game.

Takes damage like a wet paper bag, but Regeneration super works super-fast, and that Level 5 Dark Phoenix basically gives you 4 characters, especially if X-Factor will save her red life like it does for everyone else.

Haggar looks awesome, that's just Capcom keeping him old-school with the moves ala Arthur - what matters is that he can combo into big damage.

People should just forget about Vergil and whoever, I've only known that he's from DMC, and in fact, I've heard more about him NOW for MvC3 wishing more than I did back then.

Especially wishing for Phoenix Wright - man that got old the first week already. Just stop it.

Major props to lupinko yet again for someone who actually brought up that he had info and actually said it and not be like "I heard something but I can't tell, tee hee", "my secret sources said something but I won't say it, but I just had to let you all know that I know something - bye". You're better off saying nothing.

All we need now are the usual exhibition matches that come with the announcement trailers for each new character.

Magnalon

Neo Member
I can only hope Bass will come someday as DLC. Otherwise, I'm pretty much set with Wesker, Dante, and Zero.

Haggar and Phoenix are pretty good additions IMO - Phoenix looks like she might be broken, but Shoryuken said everyone is pretty much balanced, so I'm stoked. Anything is better than playing Doom/Sent/Mag or/Storm teams over and over for 10 years.

notworksafe

_dementia said:
:lol Either the author is trolling, or he's not a good source for fighting game coverage.
After reading the whole article, I honestly can't tell which it is. Either way, I can't take him seriously.

He says the game is both too slow and too chaotic. Which is it, sir?

First and foremost, I've noticed that MvC3 is a lot slower than the previous game. The fights seem to creep along at a more mundane pace this time around. It just doesn't feel like Marvel vs Capcom.
In my preview of Marvel vs Capcom 3, however, it seemed like each match was a toss-up, a coin flipping in the air to determine who's going to win the match. It's just too chaotic: Sometimes I mash buttons and win; other times I try to play it technical and get crushed. I can't strike a consistent balance, and that's extremely frustrating for someone who has been playing fighting games since the genre came to be.
I'm not sure how much you know about fighting games (he's an expert)...

CPS2

It's always great when reviewers/previewers talk about balance and strategies after like a couple of hours of playing :lol

Like that review that leaked Akuma, they said mvc3 has an easier learning curve than sf4... i don't know if it does or not (though I'd bet it doesn't), he's probably just thinking that easier inputs for specials and supers, and all the chain combos means it won't be as technical or something.

Top Bottom