• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

caliph95

Just shows how OFA is strong, even with all the training Deku can't handle it.
I mean he is still a kid and i not sure if spoilers or not
IIRC All might was gym junkie before he got it.
It also seems partly due to his mentality

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Is it odd that I feel the most hype moments of this show are when Deku becomes Batman? Those moments of quick thinking, analyzing areas, and strategic moves just seem way better than when he is using or relying on his quirk, because he is proving time after time you don't really need one to win.

Is it odd that I feel the most hype moments of this show are when Deku becomes Batman? Those moments of quick thinking, analyzing areas, and strategic moves just seem way better than when he is using or relying on his quirk, because he is proving time after time you don't really need one to win.

I do recall reading somewhere that the original plan for the manga was for Deku to not gain a quirk at all and just rely on what you mentioned above. The emphasis played on his analysing of heroes and his note books in the first episode seemed to hint he'd rely on knowledge of heroes and quirks to overcome them.

Would be grateful if someone could post receipts.

tirminyl

I agree with you. I love those moments where he reflects back on the hero analysis he's done or the quick strategic thinking.

So sad to see the episode end 😢

I do recall reading somewhere that the original plan for the manga was for Deku to not gain a quirk at all and just rely on what you mentioned above. The emphasis played on his analysing of heroes and his note books in the first episode seemed to hint he'd rely on knowledge of heroes and quirks to overcome them.

You're right, his editor I believe told him to give him a quirk otherwise kids wouldn't like him or some shit. I don't feel like looking it up or fact checking it so there.

Sou Da

Yeah you got it exactly right but with the rules for OfA the mangaka gets to have his cake and eat it too.

Kaizer

Banned
Episode was fucking awesome, that sequence ended up being way more hype in the show than it was in the manga - and I was HYPEEEEE when I read that chapter. The anime is really visually striking & colorful, everything looked great.

The scene were Deku search for All Might after he won the race, looking for his approval, saying *Look I did it!* gets me so hard, the level of emotions at that time hits a peak for me. I love these 2 so much. I know some people think Deku cries too much, but it's really that honest truthful side of him that I like so much. He know he succeeded.
tCLY9rX.jpg
tzw8m88.jpg
JTLBG1m.jpg
iFQzN0i.jpg

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

I agree with you. I love those moments where he reflects back on the hero analysis he's done or the quick strategic thinking.

So sad to see the episode end 😢

You're right, his editor I believe told him to give him a quirk otherwise kids wouldn't like him or some shit. I don't feel like looking it up or fact checking it so there.

Yeah you got it exactly right but with the rules for OfA the mangaka gets to have his cake and eat it too.

That is unfortunate. Did the editor not think that a Batman-esque hero would not sell well with kids? I thought underdog heroes always become more popular with fans than overpowered ones. Back when I watched Justice League growing up the coolest thing to me and others was how cunning Batman was every time he faced an opponent greater than him. He always seemed like he was constantly playing chess with his enemies, always a step ahead and most of the time coming up with a backup plan if caught off guard.

It's not necessarily always about having power or being powerless either. I enjoyed Sasuke's fights in Naruto Shippuden because he fought opponents more skilled than him and somehow came out of most battles winning(or managing to escape if he was running) because he outsmarted them in combat. Same goes for Goku's fights from original DB all the way up until the Android Saga in DBZ. A part of me actually thought he might have defeated Frieza without going SS if he kept using all of his different techniques the way he did.

I'm hoping they take their time on Deku mastering his powers because it's going to bum me out once he relies on it too much to solve his problems.

This awesome episode + I'm getting a $400 tax refund = great Saturday morning.

This show is so damn colorful and it looks so good. Also I'll agree with everyone else that Midoriya winning without his quirk was great. The hardening kid and the steel kid having the exact same lines was hilarious.

I think my favorite moment of the episode was when Eraserhead looked at Present Mic and said "You don't need me here do you."

NSESN

This show is so damn colorful and it looks so good.

What I love about MHA style is that while heroes and the places they go are super colorful and vibrant, villains are despicted in a much darker and grotesque manner. It's like 2 different works.

This was a fun episode, and kudos for Deku for being so resourceful.

Last scene with the Calvary Battle rules was hilarious. Such is the price of being first.

I'm really loving the gadget girl.

NEO0MJ

I like Deku having a quirk. Even when using it he's always strategic about it, due to the high cost of using OFA in his current state.
Plus, it helps in avoiding the Batman problem with things come off as too perfect/Deus ex machina for him.

PixelatedBookake

I think Deku's more interesting with a quirk because that whole "I want to be special" part of his character, which I didn't really like, is gone and now him using his destructive super strength in interesting ways is better (to me) than another Batman prep-time God character winning because they did something smart off-screen.

Primus

That episode, right there, is how you PLUS ULTRA the hell out of things. The end of the race was so hype I was jumping up and down and yelling at the TV.

Gonna be interesting to see how he deals with being
Public Enemy #1
in the Cavalry Battle next week.

Grexeno

Quirkless Deku would get destroyed, wasn't a viable option.
You might remember that the vast majority of Batman's villain line-up has no superpowers, and when he is in a setting with those, he tends to be "prep time" Batman, who basically does have superpowers.

caliph95

Quirkless Deku would get destroyed, wasn't a viable option.
I imagine the power levels and such will be adjusted to make it more belivable, it would still probably go into Batgod bullshit

At this level yeah, especially against characters like Nomu it would be ridoclous, becuase Deku would have to have gadgets or right amount of bullshit to compete.

caliph95

You might remember that the vast majority of Batman's villain line-up has no superpowers, and when he is in a setting with those, he tends to be "prep time" Batman, who basically does have superpowers.
It also helps he is the richest superhero evet.

It's why Batgod is a thing

The issue with Deku having no quirk is that the series has established multiple characters that have to rely on planning and hand-to-hand combat because they can't rely solely on their quirks for combat. I feel like a quirk-less Deku wouldn't offer much if this alternate version of the series still had other characters like that.

Jintor

jesus nearly 3 minutes of footage from the previous episode. good thing it's going straight into good shit afterwards

mugwhump

That's what I thought the series would be about. I was surprised as fuck when he punched the robot in episode 3, haha.

Don't regret it turning out that way though. Deku still uses his brain a lot.

The idea of Deku having no quirk seems flawed to me, I have to imagine they'd have to do some mega stretching even by shonen standards to have him keep up with the rest of the cast.
The batman-ing could only go so far in this case as a wee kid with presumably mere pocket money going up against full blown superpowers.

He'd probably go from underdog to what I could best describe as "lol Cena wins" where we're told the odds are against him but he always wins anyway and not convincingly.
Having a really potent yet limited quirk seems to fit perfectly in that it allows him to fall back of the analysis and clever thinking angle but also having that extra factor that would allow him to properly hold his own in a proper fight.

But that's just my musings on that angle anyway, basically I think the setup they have currently just makes more sense.

trejo

All Might: "Midoriya, dude, you really should work on not being such a fucking crybaby."

I feel ya All Might, I feel ya. But hey, it took almost three whole episodes. Progress!

I was not expecting him to get 1st, like maybe top 5. He's truly a madman. Bakugo needs to chill, his face is becoming repulsive to look at.

cntr

Banned
Specifically, Horikoshi said that proto-MHA was set in university, had a taser-using quirkless Deku, the power level was way lower, All Might was a side character, and that the relationship they have now didn't exist.

The editor was also doing Horikoshi a favor, MHA was his last chance for a successful serialization, or Shueisha would write him off.

I'd say the series is way better and more interesting with One for All.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Can someone tell me why anime hates real dad? They're always gone or are the villain or something.

Japanese dads are never around, so a lot of the times they get subbed with people like teachers or coaches as father figures.

cntr

Banned
that always reminds me of Earthbound, and how you only ever talk to Ness's dad over the phone. Itoi based that on his own dad.

in Deku's case, the character profile for Deku's mom
implies she and Deku's dad separated, maybe even actually got divorced
. (this isn't a spoiler for anything, but in case you don't want to know or something)

C9jmrBOXYAAkf0b.jpg:small
C9jnRLTXoAQoKwh.jpg:small

Perfect Kaminari shots all over. Im glad this season he's already off to having speaking lines. Too bad he keeps getting bad mouthed, unfair.

Other than that, decent start. Ochako could have had a less vain motive than personal fame and fortune for being a hero. Why not just go into being a business tycoon if she doesnt care about saving people and more about money?

Ojiro also had lines. Hoping he continues to be a bigger presence.

Still, show is adapting stuff I hadnt read.

OP and ED are not good songwise or visually. I want a massive change midseason.

2 - 3

I think Im current. Pretty great to see this content animated. Todoroki reconfirmed as the best in the class. I love how the writer clearly loves him so much that he got all the really epic moments in the obstacle course, though I cant forgive his mistake in making Midoriya win in an unbelievable way. No way could the armor plating be that durable for massive explosions. I was as dissapointed as Todoroki.
C9j4O7dWsAAB4YQ.jpg:small

Hero A was used which was phenomenal. I love that song the most.

Monoma could have scored higher, same for Kaminari, apart from Todoroki my favs underperform :(
C9j7UYGWsAAjzaf.jpg:small
C9j4rBzXUAAMzCk.jpg:small

I could've done without the flashback shit in the beginning but this was actually a really good episode. Got the whole first trial done, gave a lot of classmates some shine, really developed Madman Deku and showing that he was willing to go that far to win and make All Might proud and a really good moment between All Might and Deku where he acknowledges him and Deku is so happy at being able to prove to everyone that he has arrived.

Good shit.

The humor still misses me a lot and I think it's just the direction of it as in the manga it never bothered me.

I did enjoy the posing Mt. Lady was doing in the background for the cameras. Hell, she's probably gotten more development in the anime than the manga (up to this point).

Ashido Levels: Acceptable, as she got more screen time than in the manga, but still not enough Ashido.

Lucent

I think it's weird how that one guy with the bird head just gets described as having his quirk be that he has a shadow living inside him but it mentions nothing about his head. Like why? Lol. Just think it's weird it's never brought up/explained. I guess it's just a normal thing in their world and it's better for the characters to act as such instead of making a big deal out of each character that doesn't have a human head.

Fave girl is frog girl so far.

caliph95

I think it's weird how that one guy with the bird head just gets described as having his quirk be that he has a shadow living inside him but it mentions nothing about his head. Like why? Lol. Just think it's weird it's never brought up/explained. I guess it's just a normal thing in their world and it's better for the characters to act as such instead of making a big deal out of each character that doesn't have a human head.

Fave girl is frog girl so far.
Probably not a spoiler but whatever, how it works is that the the kid tends to inherit the physical charestic of the parents while the quirk is something different. A lot of charcters inherit weird limbs and body characteristics from their parents but have thier own quirks. Bird guy IIRC parent's are bird people so he inherits that but his actual quirk would be something else.

Raxus

Probably not a spoiler but whatever, how it works is that the the kid tends to inherit the physical charestic of the parents while the quirk is something different. A lot of charcters inherit weird limbs and body characteristics from their parents but have thier own quirks. Bird guy IIRC parent's are bird people so he inherits that but his actual quirk would be something else.

We haven't met birdman's (Tokoyami) parents yet but in a little extra chapter we meet Froppy's parents and they are indeed all frog based so you probably aren't far off. Considering how many shark headed, giant and other weird characteristics some people have in this universe I think a lot of people just write off weird looks.

caliph95

We haven't met birdman's (Tokoyami) parents yet but in a little extra chapter we meet Froppy's parents and they are indeed all frog based so you probably aren't far off. Considering how many shark headed, giant and other weird characteristics some people have in this universe I think a lot of people just write off weird looks.
I thought we did like a promotional art or something but could have been a fanrt or something,
there is also snakegirl, whose quirk has nothing to with her being a sanke and probaly had snake parents.
There is also part how quirks tend to be a mutation of your parent quriks that probaly comes into play.
As well as invisible girl which is implied that her invisibilty be a side effect or a weird physical thing not her actual quirk.
Also people like Acid girl and arms guy having weird charetrics that seems to have nothing to with their qurik

Since I've been sick all weekend, I watched the first 3 episodes...

This is the good shit.

The pacing is so much better this season than last. Even the recap episode was quick and to the point. Considering what's on deck story wise, this season might turn into something special.

theWB27

I'm gonna have to go with Todoroki as my favorite character. Dude's power potential feels like it should be second to, I'm assuming Deku will be most powerful, Deku just like pops was to All Mighta!

Top Bottom