• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

caliph95

interesting that eraserhead can turn off toga's shapeshifting power.

I wonder if that implies he would be able to cancel all might's transform power or not
Don't see why he can turn off OFA and he probably needs it for his buff regardless of whether you would call it a transformation or not

caliph95

The story of how Bakugo becomes the world's greatest hero
I do like the extra Endeavors scenes
Wqm7ou8.gif

OGv6y6M.gif

NSESN

Aizawa can cancel OFA,, but he can't stop the transformation because we saw All Might transforming even after he lost his powers.

I love how the Noumu's legs just give up. I am very confident now about the filler fights that they are going to add to the end of term arc.

caliph95

Aizawa can cancel OFA,, but he can't stop the transformation because we saw All Might transforming even after he lost his powers.
I thought he still has it he just only uses it to be dramatic since he only can use seconds now since he has so little now

Lunar15

yeah like ochako is only moderately shy blushing girl and if she had a power like mt lady's i could see it really negatively affecting her psyche. as it is she's fairly well balanced

I dunno about the psyche stuff, but it's such a specific quirk that would be hard to write a variety of situations for. Take the curent arc, for example, where people are trapped in a building. Ochako would be useless there.

caliph95

I dunno about the psyche stuff, but it's such a specific quirk that would be hard to write a variety of situations for. Take the curent arc, for example, where people are trapped in a building. Ochako would be useless there.
Even Mt Lady who's a pro got stuck in a chase and mostly seems good for carrying people and brute force

Lunar15

Weird double post. Anyway, I'd still like to see how Ochako's personality would play out with that power, so they should do a "what if" one shot lol.

it would be interesting if she could learn to control the growth though

like only grow twice as large instead of 50m every time

or only make a fist bigger as she's punching, or her foot as she's kicking or whatever

i really want to see more creativity from these quirks that are supposedly physical traits that you can train and control

caliph95

It would made Kendou's quirk look even more useless.
Why Horikosho made the best character from class b have the weakes quirk is beyond my comprehension.
There's a guy in B whose power is scales and besides she seems to be a martial artist and possibly the "leader" so a decent strategist I guess

Lunar15

I've found this arc a little boring, but damn if there isn't some amazing parallelism going on between the heroes and the villains. I feel like the author has done this in nearly every arc, putting Deku and Shiragaki on similar trajectories. The whole arc seems to be about the importance of planning for the future - Deku enters an internship with Sir Knight Eye who is famed for his ability to see events before they happen, and Shiragaki enters into a partnership with Overhaul who tells the League of Villains that they lack any kind of planning or organization. But underneath that, there's a struggle that exists in both storylines: the conflict between the rigid inflexibility of meticulous strategy vs. the ability to trust your instincts and rush in blind.

This struggle has shown up in all of the fights so far; it was particularly evident in the Kirishima fight where the villians had boiled down the fight to "sword and shield vs. shield and shield", only to get fooled by the fact that they were fighting a hero that was both sword & shield, as well as Kirishima's ability to shield more than anyone thought. Both Sir Knight Eye and Overhaul are meticulous planners, but their plans are getting foiled by the sheer drive and instinct of their opponents. It makes perfect sense that we'd get both Toga and Twice in this arc, because both of those characters have deceptive powers. You can't plan against them because they can both mimic their enemies and make doubles. At a certain point you have to trust your gut against them rather than rely on an overarching plan.

The conflict became super obvious when Overhaul begins explaining shogi to Shiragaki: you can see the difference in how the two behave and, more importantly, how they see their comrades. Overhaul sees Toga and Twice as unpredictable and difficult, while Shiragaki thinks their unpredictability is a strength. Either way, it's clear that Shiragaki is learning from Overhaul, and this whole experience is bound to make his group stronger. I mean, heck, Toga even treats the whole thing like an internship, which is a pretty obvious parallel to what the kids at UA are going through.

But where does this all lead in the end, especially for Deku? It's hard to tell, but the entire arc seems bookended by the the conflict between Sir Knight Eye and All Might. Again it's Sir's meticulous planning vs. All Might's reliance on gut and instinct. If everything went according to Sir's plans, All Might would have gone with Mirio as his successor instead of Deku. Instead, All Might went with his gut and chose Deku. And really, this is a broader theme that applies to the whole series - the idea that society can plan for an ideal, optimistic future all it wants, but in the end, there are an infinite number of unpredictable problems that can happen. The future generations have to figure out how to balance planning ahead while also developing their instincts. It's a good setup: there's not a right or wrong to it, it's just an awareness of that struggle. MHA has always shined at showing societal problems as they are, not necessarily as a "good or bad" situation with an easy solution

NSESN

I think it has to do with the kids trying to look cool. The heroes have more traditional and functional designs.
Just compare the initial costumes from Shoto and Deku to the more recent ones.

Jintor

It would made Kendou's quirk look even more useless.
Why Horikoshi made the best character from class b have the weakest quirk is beyond my comprehension.

isn't half the point of the academy kids that you make your quirk work for you and aren't shackled by them?

like in the forest fight the gas kid was like hah your ability sucks and she was like nuh uh check out my giant fan hands

Sitting her trying to figure out that final Toga panel, did she just teleport somewhere or something, or flashback, odd transition.

In any case, nice for Midoriya to be back in this, hoping to see what he can do here. His one smash was decent.

You know, I wonder - now that Deku has seen Toga's quirk in action, will he connect the dots to realise that was her at the provisional license tests? Or do you think it'll take her blurting out about the last time they met, and she winds up describing the test instead of the forest?

caliph95

You know, I wonder - now that Deku has seen Toga's quirk in action, will he connect the dots to realise that was her at the provisional license tests? Or do you think it'll take her blurting out about the last time they met, and she winds up describing the test instead of the forest?
Are similar quirks uncommon like Dabi AKAIK has the same as endvour and there's Tetsutetsu

But yeah

He has have her blurt it out since this is manga and readers are forgetful.

Moaradin

Seems like episode 19 will be an anime original episode called "Everyone's workplace experience". Definitely sounds like something I wanted to see more of in the manga, so it's cool Bones is expanding on it.

NSESN

All filler scenes that bones did so far were really good, so I am not worried.
Hope they show some class B students beyond Tetsu*4 and Kendou.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You know what scene I want to see get animated?

That dumb as fuck hilarious panel at the summer camp where they are all trying to push their quirk to the limit.

caliph95

That dumb as fuck hilarious panel at the summer camp where they are all trying to push their quirk to the limit.
Let me find that panel

What the hell was invisible girl was doing being more invisible besides being the traitor or probably her light powers which I really want to see

NSESN

I want them to animate the novels. Specially the one where they study for the exams.

Trojita

Let me find that panel

What the hell was invisible girl was doing being more invisible besides being the traitor or probably her light powers which I really want to see

CQYtSvC.png

m440Ya9.png

Who the fuck was in the cave? lol

lmao I didn't realize what Ochako was doing when I had first seen this and it took me a second to get it. She isn't in a quirk made bubble, she was put in one of those rubber balls you can get into and she was thrown down the cliff. She's supposed to control her gravitational power while the ball is rolling down the cliff so she doesn't hit anything.

Jintor

Seems like episode 19 will be an anime original episode called "Everyone's workplace experience". Definitely sounds like something I wanted to see more of in the manga, so it's cool Bones is expanding on it.

i'm into it.

really excited to see more of froppy's time and to see what exactly traumatised mineta so much. as well as more combat ochako

/edit i really don't know what bakugou is doing there

caliph95

i'm into it.

really excited to see more of froppy's time and to see what exactly traumatised mineta so much. as well as more combat ochako

/edit i really don't know what bakugou is doing there
Something do with his sweat I'm guessing

Also there was an omake that kinda answered that

Trojita

It looks like Bakugou is getting his arms boiled in water.

Remember that Class B arrives and are like "WTF"

MrCinos

Missing from the pic did we see tape guy, invisible girl, alien queen and froppy

I assume invisible girl in the background doing light ray/reflection stuff. I don't remember Aoyama firing (or scattering) several lasers at once.

EDIT: Or maybe it's him considering the sparks around the rays and the scale, yeah.

caliph95

I assume invisible girl in the background doing light ray/reflection stuff. I don't remember Aoyama firing (or scattering) several lasers at once.

EDIT: Or maybe it's him considering the sparks around the rays and the scale, yeah.
I thought that was kaminari building up endurance

Top Bottom