• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, Pop-Step's costume is still a weak link. It's at semi-justified in that she's really more of a wannabe idol than a hero, but still; pure fanservice isn't a great look here.

There was a minor discussion back in the overwatch thread about Widowmaker's outfit being very sexualized and I argued that while it was very sexualized, it was also a throwback to the Noir/Femme Fatale archtype.

The basic logic is that you're not directly going for sexual objectification, but rather trying to be a tribute to some other genre or concept that itself had sexual objectification going on. While this didn't get it off the hook, it gives the idea the design some legitimacy. Not a clear pass, but...maybe it's something, because you want to honor the stuff that influences you, even if it wasn't perfect. But when I look at this design, and it's supposed to be a dedication to a genre/concept that I basically have no attachment to, this feels a lot more flimsy. It's basically trying to pass the buck. "I'm not sexually objectifying the character, I'm just building it based on a genre that sexually objectified characters."

I don't know. We can't just abandon cultural history, but we should be smarter about how we honor it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Her costume reminds me most of Shadow Lady

qUxB2C1.jpg

caliph95

She's done pretty much nothing of note thus far into the series, so yeah, she's the worst of the main trio.

It's a damn shame. It's also about what I expected. C'est la vie.
She's easily the worst and her character focus chapter is her being a cliche tsundere and crush on our almost vanilla protagonist

caliph95

Vigilante's continues to sound like what MHA would be if you stripped away everything that was good about it.
I'm being harsh and it's getting better not as good as mha but still decent nothing special though my favorite chapters are those involved mha characters like the instructors and ingenium
and stain

SalvaPot

Vigilante's continues to sound like what MHA would be if you stripped away everything that was good about it.

The story is serviceable, and when characters from the main story appear they are usually given good moments that flesh-out their characters, not glorified cameos.

Honestly its pretty good... as an extra.

Lunar15

There's been some surprisingly good stories in there. It fleshes out the world in a cool way without dragging down the main story. When I saw the early chapters I rolled my eyes, but it's evolved into a bit of an endearing thing.

I don't want to overhype it, but it's also not worth trashing at this stage. I genuinely like that it's this street level view of the world of heroes outside of the prestegious schools and mega celebs.

It's a fine extra thing. The chapter where the crawler meets iida's brother was good, as well as pop-step's origin story.

Nightbird

You're not wrong.

Vigilante had to prove that it doesn't suck, and even this is something it didn't managed to do right off the bat.

Considering that its just a side story it does actually work pretty good, but there's no denying that basically all of it's "quality" comes from stuff that was etablished in the main series first.

I mean, Vigilante gave us fake wolverine and cyclops, it's worth it for that reason (hilarious though).

I don't know, i feel like i've seen really really worse shit so i can't go that hard against it. I enjoy it because i'm craving for more of Horikoshi's created universe, and the guy in charge of illegals delivers on that front.

caliph95

Who besides all might went to ua because unless the exam change or were very creative some of the pro heroes or teachers wouldn't be able to enter due to the exam

I blazed through all 148 chapters and am all caught up.

Didn't like Bakugo at first but he won me over especially after the last battle between him and Deku.

Deku has been developing nicely but he needs more control along with his classmates. Also I don't like the idea of All for One being so limited in percentages. I mean he is using less than 10% of the power each time? That kind of power scaling can be very scary and difficult to pull off for the author.

I'm not talking 50% or anything but having 20% at this point isn't out of the question if he plans to become the new symbol of peace and 1/5 of All Might's power would be very interesting to see instead of 5/8%

The rest of the class is getting pretty well developed. I expect a Uraraka arc soon now that Deku, Todoroki, Bakugo, Ingenium and even Red Riot of all people got to develop so much.

Its cool how the minor characters have all developed so much as well.

The only let downs have been the villains imo because Shigaraki was such a brat and hasn't done much to improve from that point. Stain was the best villain in the series so far. I'm waiting for another to surpass him and I dunno if these Yakuza guys will do it.

NSESN

I blazed through all 148 chapters and am all caught up.

Didn't like Bakugo at first but he won me over especially after the last battle between him and Deku.

Deku has been developing nicely but he needs more control along with his classmates. Also I don't like the idea of All for One being so limited in percentages. I mean he is using less than 10% of the power each time? That kind of power scaling can be very scary and difficult to pull off for the author.

I'm not talking 50% or anything but having 20% at this point isn't out of the question if he plans to become the new symbol of peace and 1/5 of All Might's power would be very interesting to see instead of 5/8%

The rest of the class is getting pretty well developed. I expect a Uraraka arc soon now that Deku, Todoroki, Bakugo, Ingenium and even Red Riot of all people got to develop so much.

Its cool how the minor characters have all developed so much as well.

The only let downs have been the villains imo because Shigaraki was such a brat and hasn't done much to improve from that point. Stain was the best villain in the series so far. I'm waiting for another to surpass him and I dunno if these Yakuza guys will do it.

Deku's version of OFA is stronger than All Might's version. There's also the fact that we never saw prime All Might, so I think that even 1/5 is too much and would make Deku stronger than most pros.

Deku only having ~10% even at this point fits well with the notion that this is supposed to be a loooong runner. Post-highschool life long. Gotta give him plenty of room to grow into his powers.

HiResDes

Just finished the show just want to say Frog Girl is probably my character of, she's just super efficient, funny.

Sticky ball guy is second.

We do know all might was buff as a kid which made ofa easy for him

I think that's not true. If i remember correctly, in one of his flashbacks we can see he was kind of similar to his sick form, in terms of buffness.

I might be wrong though.

Endeavor on the other hand, has always been shown buff.

kirblar

I think that's not true. If i remember correctly, in one of his flashbacks we can see he was kind of similar to his sick form, in terms of buffness.

I might be wrong though.

His "pool pose" analogy he makes at one point about the powers coming easy to him suggests he was big into bodybuilding prior to getting OFA.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I might be wrong though.

He was halfway to All Might form at this point

8cIMUWl.png

Oh ok, my bad.

Still is more of a body-type thing i guess. Both todoroki and deku are more "ectomorph" in their constitution imo. They are kinda ripped but not that big as Mirio or Toshinori from those panels.

Top Bottom