• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My little brother beats me up what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

This thread also reminds me of the bully threads we get where the only "real" solution is to fight back, looool.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ultimoo said:
This thread also reminds me of the bully threads we get where the only "real" solution is to fight back, looool.

Sure it's possibly not the 'only' solution, but sometimes in certain cases the only real solution is to fight back.

Neki

Laughing Banana said:
Sure it's possibly not the 'only' solution, but sometimes in certain cases the only real solution is to fight back.
And sometimes the only real solution is to report it to the authority, one solution doesn't invalidate all the other solutions. Physical violence in most cases should be your last resort, not your first.

Oreoleo

Okay I skipped everything past the first page, but seriously OP, if you want your bro to get a clue call the cops. BUT LISTEN

CALLING THE COPS DOESNT MEAN HE HAS TO BE ARRESTED.

If you can't talk sense into him, have an officer do it. Hopefully he'll get the clue that what he's doing is fucking WRONG.

You don't have to put up with that shit.

Simplet said:
Bolded the parts that make you look like a psychopath

I did say if he absolutely has to fight back, as in - if its fight or flee and fleeing leads to a beating anyway.

It should absolutely be a last resort but yes, essentially I was suggesting the OP make himself look like a psychopath. When you can't win with brawn, there is still every chance you can really put the frightners on a more conventional fighter / bully. Nobody wants to go into a fight with an unpredictable lunatic and risk getting very badly hurt, even if they're going to win in the end.

Shaka said:
Didn't we just have a thread about someone dying from a single punch?

Yup, which makes threads like this all the more concerning. He has to put an end to it somehow. Either by removing himself from the situation or finding a way to practically deal with it.

Tence said:
I'm really impressed with the amount of hardcore badass hooligans we have on this videogame forum.

I love how fighting back is now considered being a hardcore badass hooligan. Listen, going to the cops and telling your parents will only make matters worse, he won't magically stop cause of that. He'll fucking get mad at you, beat your scrawny ass, and laugh at you running to mommy. If you fight back, even if you don't win, he'll know you're not some punk ass bitch and will think twice before starting a fight with you.

Most bullies get off on the fact that they can control another human being, when you fight back you show him that he doesn't own you. So he won't have anything to gain from hitting you all the time.

Neki

KaotikMind said:
I love how fighting back is now considered being a hardcore badass hooligan. Listen, going to the cops and telling your parents will only make matters worse, he won't magically stop cause of that. He'll fucking get mad at you, beat your scrawny ass, and laugh at you running to mommy. If you fight back, even if you don't win, he'll know you're not some punk ass bitch and will think twice before starting a fight with you.

Most bullies get off on the fact that they can control another human being, when you fight back you show him that he doesn't own you. So he won't have anything to gain from hitting you all the time.

And if you fight back and you get your ass kicked, he'll know that you're a weakling and he'll continue doing it. See what I did there? It's just as easy to conjure up solutions where fighting doesn't do anything just as it's easy enough to conjure up a solution where authority or your parents can't do anything. All I'm saying is that trying to fight back should be his last option, and not his first. Not all people are the same, not everyone will respond to physical violence, just as everyone doesn't respond to authority.

Chuckie

KaotikMind said:

I love how some peeps here are like: Beat that fucker up! Like it's some easy task. The guy is much larger and stronger than his brother. He posted this topic BECAUSE that fucker is stronger.
So yeah... all these so called 'hard-asses' here would IRL probably receive an assbeating. It is generally not good advice to try and beat somebody up who is all buffed.

I know sometimes the answer to bullying is indeed standing up and fight back... but I seriously doubt that is the case now, with the big young brother. He appears to be an unstable psycho. Not some bully on the schoolyard.

Reactions like: 'Stab that motherfucker you goddamn pussy' are reactions from what we in Holland like to refer to as internet-hooligans. People with a filthy and big mouth who in real life are often the biggest pussies themselves. And even if they're not... stabbing your brother or beating him up with a baseball bat is ill advice in any case.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ultimoo said:
And sometimes the only real solution is to report it to the authority, one solution doesn't invalidate all the other solutions. Physical violence in most cases should be your last resort, not your first.

Well of course: that's why cases should be evaluated on a case per case basis. One solution maybe more suitable than the other when viewing the overall circumstances. No one solution is entirely applicable to all situations.

Sometimes, when the situation warrants, fighting back can become the most viable solution, is all I'm saying.

Ultimoo said:
And if you fight back and you get your ass kicked, he'll know that you're a weakling and he'll continue doing it. See what I did there? It's just as easy to conjure up solutions where fighting doesn't do anything just as it's easy enough to conjure up a solution where authority or your parents can't do anything. All I'm saying is that trying to fight back should be his last option, and not his first. Not all people are the same, not everyone will respond to physical violence, just as everyone doesn't respond to authority.

You don't have to be physically strong you have to be brave enough to keep fighting, no one wants to fight all the time and if OP fights him and acts like a lunatic like said before, he'd both scare him and tire him in not wanting to fight him ever again.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
If someone has not mentioned it yet..

Challenge him to a swim competition and win.. then you will show him that his "better" genes does not matter...
gattaca.jpg

EDIT:
On a more serious note...
was he always hot tempered? Probably someone has mentioned this also but.. has he grown "much" thanks to his training? Could be steriods that makes him like this (if he was not like this before)..

Orellio said:
CALLING THE COPS DOESNT MEAN HE HAS TO BE ARRESTED.

Just out of curiosity, baring in mind the OPs bruises etc, what charges could he bring in the US? (I assume this is the US?)

In the UK, the brother could be charged with Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH) or Assault occasioning Actual Bodily Harm (ABH).

GBH under section 20 carries a sentence of up to 5 years, and under section 18 can carry a life sentence. Grievous bodily harm refers to an attack / assault intended to cause serious injury, carried out with that intention (malice). This is typically handed down for attacks that intentionally spill blood (even small amounts can suffice in some cases).

ABH is a charge that can actually include non-physical harm - although I mean lasting harm, rather than distressed emotions at the time or whatever. It also covers assault and battery. The Crown Prosecution Service would look to charge ABH for:
  • The loss of or breaking of teeth
  • Temporary loss of sensory function / concussion / knocking someone out
  • Extensive or multiple bruising
  • A displaced or broken nose
  • Minor fractures of bones
  • Minor (but not superficial) cuts requiring medical treatment (ie. stitches)
  • A recognised psychiatric disorder - ie PTSD etc.

ABH can carry a sentence of upto 5 years although rarely does, sentences can typically go up to 6 months, and/or the aggressor may be fined or ordered to pay compensation.

Tence said:
I love how some peeps here are like: Beat that fucker up! Like it's some easy task. The guy is much larger and stronger than his brother. He posted this topic BECAUSE that fucker is stronger.
So yeah... all these so called 'hard-asses' here would IRL probably receive an assbeating. It is generally not good advice to try and beat somebody up who is all buffed.

I know sometimes the answer to bullying is indeed standing up and fight back... but I seriously doubt that is the case now, with the big young brother. He appears to be an unstable psycho. Not some bully on the schoolyard.

Reactions like: 'Stab that motherfucker you goddamn pussy' are reactions from what we in Holland like to refer to as internet-hooligans. People with a filthy and big mouth who in real life are often the biggest pussies themselves. And even if they're not... stabbing your brother or beating him up with a baseball bat is ill advice in any case.

I never told him to stab his brother, all I said was fightback, and I wouldn't be surprised if OP was exaggerating to save face, most of the time a younger sibling does this is to try and prove dominance, all this "HE'S A PSYCHOPATH OHMYGOD" is not something I believe. Fight back, show him you're not just going to sit there like a punk ass bitch, he'll back off. Let's face it, sitting there and doing nothing other than calling the cops or for mommy to save you is a bitch move. Its not being a tough guy, it's being a man.

Sneds

People who have suggest that the OP physically fight back and even use a weapon against his brother - would you feel guilty if this backfired and the OP got seriously injured?

It seems to me that people are very quick to offer simple solutions without really thinking through the potential consequences. I would never feel comfortable suggesting that the OP physically attack his brother because if he took my advice and ended up getting hurt I'd feel terrible.

I think in general, I'm wary of people who give advice seemingly without much thought.

Sneds said:
People who have suggest that the OP physically fight back and even use a weapon against his brother - would you feel guilty if this backfired and the OP got seriously injured?

It seems to me that people are very quick to offer simple solutions without really thinking through the potential consequences. I would never feel comfortable suggesting that the OP physically attack his brother because if he took my advice and ended up getting hurt I'd feel terrible.

I think in general, I'm wary of people who give advice seemingly without much thought.

I think many of us who have given the advice like that feel as if the OP is going to get beat up good and proper anyway. By actively fighting back, maybe with a baseball bat, he raises his chances of not getting beat up.

The alternative is to get down the gym everyday for the next few months and do so some kind of self-defence classes like Karate. I saw a fight at university where a guy who was 5'4" took down a guy over 6' because he was a black belt.

Chuckie

KaotikMind said:
I never told him to stab his brother, all I said was fightback, and I wouldn't be surprised if OP was exaggerating to save face, most of the time a younger sibling does this is to try and prove dominance, all this "HE'S A PSYCHOPATH OHMYGOD" is not something I believe. Fight back, show him you're not just going to sit there like a punk ass bitch, he'll back off. Let's face it, sitting there and doing nothing other than calling the cops or for mommy to save you is a bitch move. Its not being a tough guy, it's being a man.

I wasn't talking to you specifically but about some of the trends in this topic.

A brother who is already 18 and is trying to prove dominance is fucking pathetic btw. Jesus Christ they are supposed to be adults. The fact he still wants to fight his big bro regularly means something is wrong with him anyway.
Brothers often fight when they are young. It's part of being brothers. If he was 16 en his little bro 14 I would have said: Smack that fool. But we are talking adults now. Which means that little bro has some serious issues.
A bro-fight between some youngsters ends up in some bruises. Some psycho 18 year old who feels the need to punch his older bro seems to be something else entirely.

SeigO

Banned
I agree with fighting back~ I was involved with a similar situation when I was much younger. I used to beat up my older brother when I was about 11-13 years old (he's 8 years older than me and he ended up moving out)

I was immature at that age obviously, but his attitude and unwillingness to fight back just made me angrier.

Just stand up for yourself unless your brothers a real psycho where you fear that he may put you in the hospital if you fight back.

m3k

wow gaf is retarded, call the cops on your brother

shit maybe you should walk away, tell your parents, or fight back... it sucks man, i can understand but calling the cops is last resort

Tence said:
I wasn't talking to you specifically but about some of the trends in this topic.

A brother who is already 18 and is trying to prove dominance is fucking pathetic btw. Jesus Christ they are supposed to be adults. The fact he still wants to fight his big bro regularly means something is wrong with him anyway.
Brothers often fight when they are young. It's part of being brothers. If he was 16 en his little bro 14 I would have said: Smack that fool. But we are talking adults now. Which means that little bro has some serious issues.
A bro-fight between some youngsters ends up in some bruises. Some psycho 18 year old who feels the need to punch his older bro seems to be something else entirely.

Not everyone matures fast, and lets be honest 18 is hardly an adult. Have you seen 18 year olds lately?

Kusagari

KaotikMind said:
Not everyone matures fast, and lets be honest 18 is hardly an adult. Have you seen 18 year olds lately?

There's a difference between being immature and being a psychopath giving your brother black eyes and bruises over his body. If he did that to someone in a bar at 18 he's getting arrested.

Finaika

SeigO said:
I agree with fighting back~ I was involved with a similar situation when I was much younger. I used to beat up my older brother when I was about 11-13 years old (he's 8 years older than me and he ended up moving out)

I was immature at that age obviously, but his attitude and unwillingness to fight back just made me angrier.

Just stand up for yourself unless your brothers a real psycho where you fear that he may put you in the hospital if you fight back.
Wow, I can't imagine a 21-year old man getting beaten up regularly by his 13-year old brother.

alekth

zomgbbqftw said:
I think many of us who have given the advice like that feel as if the OP is going to get beat up good and proper anyway. By actively fighting back, maybe with a baseball bat, he raises his chances of not getting beat up.

The alternative is to get down the gym everyday for the next few months and do so some kind of self-defence classes like Karate. I saw a fight at university where a guy who was 5'4" took down a guy over 6' because he was a black belt.

It's a black belt, not a few months of classes. Seriously, as a reasonably fit 5'7" girl who has done some aikido (though currently doing Iaido, and I wouldn't recommend pulling out a katana for the type of self-defence), I'll say it takes A LOT to make up for the fewer muscles and sheer mass difference if it's going to be an actual fight. A lot of skill as well as a lot of practice. Self-defence classes are mostly about reacting appropriately to free yourself, putting in some element of surprise and then getting the hell out.

We don't live in a damn jungle to need to make the sort of adjustments just to not be beaten up at home. And maybe fear to fall asleep in your own house. Cops, domestic abuse hotline or whatever is available is there for a reason.

m3k said:
wow gaf is retarded, call the cops on your brother

shit maybe you should walk away, tell your parents, or fight back... it sucks man, i can understand but calling the cops is last resort

The cops are not the last resort, they're the principle manifestation of the law, and the brother is breaking it every time he lays a finger on the OP. It is only by the good grace of the OP, through some misplaced sense of family loyalty or brotherhood, that the brother hasn't been charged already.

The police are an ideal source of support and protection for people who otherwise don't have any -- if he can't stop the assaults and abuse any other way, this is exactly what the police are for. Contrary to what people have said, they're not going to laugh at him if he calls them. If he called them and said he'd been assaulted and wanted to press charges, they'd definitely be interested.

Kusagari said:
There's a difference between being immature and being a psychopath giving your brother black eyes and bruises over his body. If he did that to someone in a bar at 18 he's getting arrested.

Jesus fucking christ with this psychopath thing. Injuries happen in fights, jeez. An immature kid thinking he can prove his dominance through physical confrontation is not psychopathic, there are 18 year old kids like that all over.

Chuckie

KaotikMind said:

Hardly an adult? When I was 17 I was fighting of Jerries in the trenches.

But seriously, one would think a guy that age was over that phase. If not, yeah maybe the solution might be to punch him back although I think talking to the parents could be a wise solution too (if OP thinks there is really something 'wrong' with his brother).

If the brother truely has issues, beating him up might not be the best solution, talking to the parents might be a better one.

If he is just an immature cunt who wants to prove himself, punching him back might work (or get you some more immature assbeatings)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Kick his ass, its really not hard to kick someones ass, just keep punching him in the face, over and over again till he stops hitting you.

edit i heard he works out, mainly insecure people workout, so go for his nose, break the nose and ruin the look of his face.

this will give a crippling blow to his self self esteem.

edit, also go for the Teeth, ruin they fuckers use a ring when you punch his mouth

Tenck

sazabirules said:
He is an adult...

Some sort of authority figure has to step in. And I know he's an adult, but who else is supposed to get involved, a child?

"Hey you kid, can you come over here. No no, I'm not trying to have my way with you. I just want you to tell me little bro to stop picking on me. It really hurts when he punches me. I just think you're the right person to solve this problem."

m3k

radioheadrule83 said:
The cops are not the last resort, they're the principle manifestation of the law, and the brother is breaking it every time he lays a finger on the OP. It is only by the good grace of the OP, through some misplaced sense of family loyalty or brotherhood, that the brother hasn't been charged already.

The police are an ideal source of support and protection for people who otherwise don't have any -- if he can't stop the assaults and abuse any other way, this is exactly what the police are for. Contrary to what people have said, they're not going to laugh at him if he calls them. If he called them and said he'd been assaulted and wanted to press charges, they'd definitely be interested.

yeah that nice and all but he needs to be willing to go the whole way if hes going to the cops... whats he going to do, get an avo on his brother when both live at home?

what are the parents doing/going to do? what will happen once the police are involved... granted i dont know how bad it is but it sounded like the wording of the op, it sounded like a fight that escalated out of control for the older brother and thats not cool that the younger brothers like that but if it was the younger or older they are still brothers and they can sort things out verbally

i say walk away if hes going to college soon

shit sucks though

Vagabundo

Tough decisions.

You'll know what's best though, but he is not your "little" brother anymore. He is both taller and stronger than you and obviously has no love or respect for you at the moment. Fighting back might gain some measure of respect or it just just cause more trouble.

There is no shame in going to your parents and telling them. Advise them and him that you will call the cops next time he does something and press charges. He will be fully warned. You should not be expected to live under the threat of violence, that is unacceptable.

You could ignore the situation and hope that he goes away to college, but I sugest you do deal with this in an d assertive manner, because he will always be your brother and you may have to deal with him in the future.

Tence said:
Hardly an adult? When I was 17 I was fighting of Jerries in the trenches.

But seriously, one would think a guy that age was over that phase. If not, yeah maybe the solution might be to punch him back although I think talking to the parents could be a wise solution too (if OP thinks there is really something 'wrong' with his brother).

If the brother truely has issues, beating him up might not be the best solution, talking to the parents might be a better one.

If he is just an immature cunt who wants to prove himself, punching him back might work (or get you some more immature assbeatings)

Yes hardly an adult, I don't know what you were like when you were 17 but most don't mature fast. Best solution is an assbeating.

MYE

AlimNassor said:
I'm 21, he's 18, he works out, he's taller than me, much taller i'm 5'6, he's 6'0 and buff. I don't see how I could possibly win. I suppose next time he hits me I'll call, but, I can't bare myself to do it...it's humiliating

Kick in the balls or a fist to the nose.
He could be fucking King Kong he will still go down after one of these two options.

Chuckie

KaotikMind said:
Yes hardly an adult, I don't know what you were like when you were 17 but most don't mature fast. Best solution is an assbeating.

I was fighting of Jerries in the trenches. You quoted it yourself.

Kusagari

KaotikMind said:
Jesus fucking christ with this psychopath thing. Injuries happen in fights, jeez. An immature kid thinking he can prove his dominance through physical confrontation is not psychopathic, there are 18 year old kids like that all over.

But they're not fighting. The OP suggests he's never punched his brother back. An 18 year old beating up a defenseless person, sibling or not, to the extent the OP says is a psychopath in my book. There's clearly something wrong with him beyond simply wanting to 'prove his dominance'.

Pharmat

Banned
Report him to the police? How fucking pathetic is that, he STILL is your brother, the one and only.
Me and my little bro would fight like psychos when we were young (and I mean it - with sticks, rocks, even knives, to scare one another off). That was between us and it was entertaining, both of us did sports, but we would unite and fuck up anybody who thought he could handle us.
Now he is my best friend, man.

Man up, kick him in the balls, fight until he realizes that his older brother is not a pussy.

Tence said:
I was fighting of Jerries in the trenches. You quoted it yourself.

Like I said, doesn't mean everyone else suddenly feels a rush of maturity through their system at 17, most are still kids. Hell some are 26 and still kids.

Kusagari said:
But they're not fighting. The OP suggests he's never punched his brother back. An 18 year old beating up a defenseless person, sibling or not, to the extent the OP says is a psychopath in my book. There's clearly something wrong with him beyond simply wanting to 'prove his dominance'.

So a bully? You're making that big of a deal over a bully? You are only defenseless if you don't defend yourself, and that is why OP should fight back.

Chuckie

KaotikMind said:
Like I said, doesn't mean everyone else suddenly feels a rush of maturity through their system at 17, most are still kids. Hell some are 26 and still kids.

I was not actually fighting jerries in the trenches you know... considering I would have to be around 110 to have actually done that.

It was a lighthearted reply to your 'Have you seen 18 year olds these days'.

quickwhips

Time to get revenge. Duct tape his ass to the bed when he is sleeping and piss on him. Leave him their over night and tell him never to touch you again. If he does next time take a shit on him.

Tence said:
I was not actually fighting jerries in the trenches you know... considering I would have to be around 110 to have actually done that.

It was a lighthearted reply to your 'Have you seen 18 year olds these days'.

Eh, sorry. I see it now.

bangai-o said:
Q1vDl.jpg

OP stop being such a god damn pussy. Beat the shit out of him. That's all there is to it.

Can't take him head on? wait till he is asleep and then beat the living shit out of him. I promise you he will not mess with you if you do something like that.

Know what happens when you sneak attack and beat up someone who's much bigger and stronger than you that also lives with you?

A few hours later they beat you up again, how the fuck do you people think domestic abuse works?

I know I've already posted my advice to the OP this morning, but reading this thread at work has actually made me angry enough to post during my break, something I never ever do.

OP is a victim of domestic violence and he has been immasuclated, mocked and told that calling for police help is completely unacceptable. I'd love to have read and contrast the responses if the OP was female. It's no wonder there is such a stigma for male DV victims to seek help when attitudes like this are so commonplace.

When people say that the OP should meet violence with violence, why should he stoop to the offender's level not to mention increase risk of escalation of force? And for those saying that police involvement will absolutely intensify the offender's violence, how much more intense must the incidents get until it becomes acceptable to inform law enforcement?

People who are saying that it's completely unacceptable to report ones own brother for repeated assault - how do you define domestic violence? At what point does if become acceptable to involve the police?

Finally, read the OP as an older sister being assaulted. Does your response change?

This thread really makes me despair at times.

radioheadrule83 said:
Just out of curiosity, baring in mind the OPs bruises etc, what charges could he bring in the US? (I assume this is the US?)

In the UK, the brother could be charged with Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH) or Assault occasioning Actual Bodily Harm (ABH).

GBH under section 20 carries a sentence of up to 5 years, and under section 18 can carry a life sentence. Grievous bodily harm refers to an attack / assault intended to cause serious injury, carried out with that intention (malice). This is typically handed down for attacks that intentionally spill blood (even small amounts can suffice in some cases).

ABH is a charge that can actually include non-physical harm - although I mean lasting harm, rather than distressed emotions at the time or whatever. It also covers assault and battery. The Crown Prosecution Service would look to charge ABH for:
  • The loss of or breaking of teeth
  • Temporary loss of sensory function / concussion / knocking someone out
  • Extensive or multiple bruising
  • A displaced or broken nose
  • Minor fractures of bones
  • Minor (but not superficial) cuts requiring medical treatment (ie. stitches)
  • A recognised psychiatric disorder - ie PTSD etc.

ABH can carry a sentence of upto 5 years although rarely does, sentences can typically go up to 6 months, and/or the aggressor may be fined or ordered to pay compensation.

Yeah, in the UK he would be arrested for ABH (as that's the minimum they can arrest you for) but when it comes time to charge they may bump it up to GBH. At least that's the way my solicitor explained it at the time.

Mama Robotnik said:
I know I've already posted my advice to the OP this morning, but reading this thread at work has actually made me angry enough to post during my break, something I never ever do.

OP is a victim of domestic violence and he has been immasuclated, mocked and told that calling for police help is completely unacceptable. I'd love to have read and contrast the responses if the OP was female. It's no wonder there is such a stigma for male DV victims to seek help when attitudes like this are so commonplace.

When people say that the OP should meet violence with violence, why should he stoop to the offender's level not to mention increase risk of escalation of force? And for those saying that police involvement will absolutely intensify the offender's violence, how much more intense must the incidents get until it becomes acceptable to inform law enforcement?

People who are saying that it's completely unacceptable to report ones own brother for repeated assault - how do you define domestic violence? At what point does if become acceptable to involve the police?

Finally, read the OP as an older sister being assaulted. Does your response change?

This thread really makes me despair at times.

What's worse is that I'm almost certain that the police will brush this off as "brothers being brothers" and not do anything about it. I think the family intervention is probably the better choice at this point, only proceeding to police intervention if that fails and the mother can go to the police as well ("My son is abusing my other son to the point of physical danger" instead of "My brother is beating the shit out of me").

Dave Inc. said:
What's worse is that I'm almost certain that the police will brush this off as "brothers being brothers" and not do anything about it. I think the family intervention is probably the better choice at this point, only proceeding to police intervention if that fails and the mother can go to the police as well ("My son is abusing my other son to the point of physical danger" instead of "My brother is beating the shit out of me").
Wording has a lot to do with it. You wouldn't actually say "my brother is beating the shit outta me"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom