• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 7 |OT| Is this still a fad?

And we see that Starlight truly has integrated herself into the main cast: she's now nerfed enough to be completely ineffective against a random monster!

What was with the music during the ending credits? Why a random vocal song? If it wasn't something added by the uploader, maybe it was a song planned for this episode that they had to cut.

Like seriously, they couldn't throw in a line there about the creature being immune/resistant to magic or something? Or have Starlight decide not to take out the monster herself since the Changelings need to be able to defend themselves and needing someone else to come in to save them would look bad and would shake confidence in Thorax's leadership.

The YouTube upload was just a direct rip from some guy's stream and the streamer throws in his own music during the credits

Starlight was way too much of a fuck up in this episode. Pharynx of all people is too far gone? Jesus Starlight, if you and Discord can be saved you should probably be more critical of your capability to turn him good than his capacity to be good.

Again I'm fine with Starlight just being wrong there but it should have been handled way better. There should have been a scene where Starlight owned up to what she did and gave a heartfelt apology to Pharynx so it could be used as a learning experience. That's usualky what ends up happening when she screws up like that. Instead she just gives a weak apology and instantly tries to change the subject. Definitely feel like this is her weakest appearance so far, and not just from a power level.

I loved having an episode that doesn't involve Ponyville, the Mane Six, or even the CMC. I'm also glad we can see the new Changeling society and how even the hive has physically changed. What I don't like is how the problem essentially took care of itself.

Pharynx sounds like Strong Bad.

Now that you say it, I think so too.

Speaking of the episode... I really enjoyed this one. I found the interactions to be pretty amusing (Starlight + Trixie, Thorax calling out the two for their actions..., and the Changeling reactions were pretty good imo). Really, there were too many interactions to really choose one.

I liked the whole feeling forum (so what, they are hippie changelings now?). Don't know what, but the soup changeling at the forum made me chuckle).

Yeah, there were some good character interactions, and the soup changeling was funny.

So, it looks like Pharynx looks more like Thorax than the other Changelings now. IIRC he has two "antlers" like Thorax, but he seems to lack the center horn.

The only thing is that I don't really see the point was in having Pharynx look different than all other changelings (uh pre change that is). Even Thorax looked the same...

That and the young Changelings looked almost as bad as the baby cakes to me...

I also wonder how changing works. Young Pharynx was able to transform into a pretty large form... He is the only other changeling we've seen other than Thorax turn into an inanimate object, I wonder if that's something all Changelings can do or just those two?

They said that Pharynx was the squad leader or something; maybe that's how they are justifying his unique design. And maybe he was made leader because of his stronger transformation skills.

Had to see it in bits and pieces so that definitely had an impact on my experience. It was written by Kevin Lappin who previously did Honest Apple which I don't remember very well.

Wait, he wrote that? Well, at least we know he can write better than what I consider the most aggravating episode since "Mare Do Well".

The interactions were definitely really strong here. As pre usual seeing Trixie and Starlight play off each other was a delight. One concern is that going forward I feel like Trixie runs the risk of becoming one-note. Her behavior in this episode works because the writing is funny but I can imagine Trixie becoming insufferable when the writing doesn't back it up. As for the actual story was a bit iffy for me for a couple reasons though. Despite having a perspective that I feel would be useful Starlight and Trixie don't feel like they contribute much to the solution. Everything works out in the end but it comes off as Starlight being lucky rather then it being because of anything she actually did. What if Pharanx stopped the monster by himself and the rest of the hive decided that he was a better leader then Thorax because he could actually protect them? There was a lot of stuff that she screwed up in the episode and I feel like it wasn't addressed very well. I'm fine with her doing stupid stuff as long as she's learning from it but I didn't feel like that was the case here.

Phalanx was pretty cool. And I liked Thorax a lot here too. Overall it was pretty fun despite a couple nitpicks I had.

Starlight's actions here are pretty similar to those in "A Royal Problem", with her just going with her gut, but unlike then, she's called out for being reckless even after things worked out. Oddly, it feels like she got it more at the end of "A Royal Problem" than here.

I thought Thorax himself was handled well here, especially with him making active attempts to improve the lives of his hive now that they don't have a violent outlet. Pharynx was fun, but he worried me for a bit, since I wasn't sure where they were going with him. I imagine I'll like him more on a rewatch.

I didn't really care for the overall story — I thought the resolution could've been something more like they find a place for Pharynx and his destructive tendencies — but Trixie's attitude made up for it.

Starlight was way too much of a fuck up in this episode. Pharynx of all people is too far gone? Jesus Starlight, if you and Discord can be saved you should probably be more critical of your capability to turn him good than his capacity to be good.

I thought that's what the resolution did. The changelings realized that they still needed to be able to defend themselves, and Pharynx seems to have become a second king with that in mind. As for him going around wrecking things, I don't think that was necessarily something he was driven to do, but him venting frustration at the others not seeing things the way he was.

To be fair to Starlight, she changed her mind after hearing what Pharynx did in the past, but yeah, it did feel like an impulsive decision, especially since they actually did seem to be hitting it off well before Starlight talked about how it was better to change. She didn't take the time to understand what his real issue was.

Though the episode did address this at the end, I feel like it would have been better if they explicitly talked about how no one took the time to understand what Pharynx's real problem was and why he was lashing out, even if he wasn't expressing himself well. Maybe also the idea that even if most people don't think something is important, that doesn't mean it's unimportant.

Like seriously, they couldn't throw in a line there about the creature being immune/resistant to magic or something? Or have Starlight decide not to take out the monster herself since the Changelings need to be able to defend themselves and needing someone else to come in to save them would look bad and would shake confidence in Thorax's leadership.

When Thorax said he forgot to mention something, I thought for sure that it would be that the mole monster is magic resistant. But then again, maybe that's just a given for creatures in Equestria.

The YouTube upload was just a direct rip from some guy's stream and the streamer throws in his own music during the credits

Ah, that explains it.

Again I'm fine with Starlight just being wrong there but it should have been handled way better. There should have been a scene where Starlight owned up to what she did and gave a heartfelt apology to Pharynx so it could be used as a learning experience. That's usualky what ends up happening when she screws up like that. Instead she just gives a weak apology and instantly tries to change the subject. Definitely feel like this is her weakest appearance so far, and not just from a power level.

Yeah, this ends the pattern of Starlight-centered episodes bringing their A-game this season.

I loved having an episode that doesn't involve Ponyville, the Mane Six, or even the CMC. I'm also glad we can see the new Changeling society and how even the hive has physically changed. What I don't like is how the problem essentially took care of itself.

To be fair, Starlight's plan did largely work out, albeit further away from the hive than intended. But yeah, the significance of the main characters in the story is pretty close to "Over a Barrel", which also had them just stand by during the final battle as things resolved themselves. I was about to say that at least the heroes here didn't force a fight that wasn't going to happen, but that's exactly what Starlight did. Well, at least the fight here was... needed(?) to resolve things quickly, as opposed to having a pie fight when both sides were perfectly willing to talk before the Main Six interfered.

At some point they needed to let some less experienced or skilled writers be able to make Starlight episodes. I don't think it's feasible for them to just have only top tier writers do episodes for her til the end of the show so it was inevitable that someone like Lappin wrote one for her. And although I feel like her portrayal was a bit sketchy I feel like it was still a pretty good episode so I feel like her perfect episode streak still continues for me.

Also Starlight in the background of "A Changeling can Change" had more character growth then this episode.

I thought that's what the resolution did. The changelings realized that they still needed to be able to defend themselves, and Pharynx seems to have become a second king with that in mind. As for him going around wrecking things, I don't think that was necessarily something he was driven to do, but him venting frustration at the others not seeing things the way he was.

Yeah for some reason I completely missed the lines that addressed what I thought was a problem with the episode.

Fairly solid episode with an awful, kid friendly generic fight scene at the end. Twilight DBZ fights Tyrek a few seasons ago and we get a "stop hitting yourself."

But Glim Glam and Trixie were a lot of fun--especially Trixie--and while I don't care for the Changlings anymore since they went from cool to the lamest motherfuckers in Equestria, the jokes were fairly solid and it was a nice break from the norm.

It's nice to see at least one of their party still has a goddamn backbone.

But really, Trixie was great. I'm really glad they've paired her with Starlight. The two just really work well together.

It's weird how good these movie concession stand figures are
3.JPG

Fairly solid episode with an awful, kid friendly generic fight scene at the end. Twilight DBZ fights Tyrek a few seasons ago and we get a "stop hitting yourself."

But Glim Glam and Trixie were a lot of fun--especially Trixie--and while I don't care for the Changlings anymore since they went from cool to the lamest motherfuckers in Equestria, the jokes were fairly solid and it was a nice break from the norm.

It's nice to see at least one of their party still has a goddamn backbone.

But really, Trixie was great. I'm really glad they've paired her with Starlight. The two just really work well together.

Pharynx saying, "Stop hitting yourself," was a bit much, but I thought the fight was fine for what it was. Besides, it's a middle of the season episode, not the finale. As for the other changelings, I saw a theory that even beyond following orders, changelings naturally emulate whoever is leading them. They were innately more ferocious under Chrysalis, and when they accepted Thorax as leader, they became more like him even though they weren't being forced to. It makes sense, if you assume Pharynx didn't really accept Thorax as his leader.

And yeah, Starlight and Trixie as a couple duo couple was a stroke of genius. It's almost hard to imagine that Trixie became popular without having Starlight to bounce off of.

Also, felt the need to post these now.
The Question Bearer
medium.jpeg

The future
small.jpeg

So uh, Daring Done was released early. Apparently Hasbro leaked it out early on accident?

Yeah, the official upload of "To Change a Changeling" on YouTube (that you have to pay to watch) has the correct title, description, etc. But the actual video is "Daring Done".

Everyone, if you watch it, go ahead and discuss it with spoiler tags. I'll wait until next week.

I feel like the most interesting part of the leaked episode is that Josh Haber was listed as a story editor alongside Lewis and Songco. The one nice thing about the episode is that it wasn't what I thought it would be. The bad news it that what we got instead was absolutely horrible. Easily the worst episode of the season for me.
The story about Sonambula was pretty cool but it was extremely poorly integrated into the main story even though I'm pretty sure the whole point of the episode was to tell that story. Rainbow's freaking out over Daring Do is even worse here then it was in Daring Don't. Pinkie does almost nothing and could have easily been written out of the story. And Ak Yearling has zero agency and never disagrees with Rainbow even when her ideas are clearly terrible. And the overall plot is horrid too.

Berrow wrote the episode btw. Pretty much all of her strengths as a writer are completely missing here. It's basically Fluttershy Leans in but infuriating rather then boring.

Also yeah that MLP movie stuff looks crazy good. Definitely going to have to track down a Rarity figure.

Daring Done

I do like having a change of scenery and having a desert environment (yes, I remember seeing them before), as well as some more lore here. This episode was pretty "meh" otherwise. I'll even start from the beginning, since Pinkie reads the Ponyville Chronicle, and not the Ponyville Express (unless this small town has competing newspapers). I was half-expecting a Changeling story out of this, even though we just had one and a Changeling would have nothing to gain out of it). The biggest problem is this blatant message of not giving up hope...even though I'm sure as an archaeologist who deals with peril on a regular basis, hope would be a basic tenement of Daring Do's philosophy. Then there's the "I'm quitting because I screwed up" storyline, which OK, a little kid will probably be experiencing for the first time, but I've seen it a lot and I'm not a fan to begin with, though I'll admit I Am The Night from Batman: TAS does it well.

I ultimately don't care much for this episode. In fact, I don't think much of Daring Do period. The best episode she was in was Read It And Weep (gosh, that was a Season 2 episode?), and that was before Rainbow Dash found out Daring Do was real.

Can we just talk about how good Read it and Weep and Daring Do was/used to be instead of how bad Daring Done was?
DD and RD in this are just completely awful. DD starts off in this pitiful slump, which, okay, seemed like a decent conflict to explore at first. I mean, it makes sense there'd be some people out there that don't fully appreciate what she's doing. However, the problem is that as soon as it's obvious she's been had by Cabaleron (aka the moment he started talking), I'd expect her to figure out and come up with a brilliant plan to reveal the truth to everybody. This is the pony that figured out how to escape a quick sand, tied-to-a-table-while-spikes-are-coming-from-both-sides trap with her hat, but RD has to pull the weight for her.

And can we talk about RD now? Just shut up, Rainbow Dash. SHUT UP. You're a nuisance to everyone around you. The WHOLE problem is that everyone in this town thinks Daring Do is the one that is stealing the gems and broke the statue. So what is the very first thing she does? Walks up to someone and talks about how awesome DD is. Where is that supposed to get you? And it continues. And continues. And continues until I want to blow my brains out at how annoying and one-dimensional she is about this entire thing.

But can I really blame her? The conflict is inherently one-dimensional. So much so that DD feels more like a dispenser for feel-good lines to the two main characters and morals. "Thanks for reminding me to never give up hope, Pinkie!" JFC

Read it and Weep was so smart. The way the two situations mirror each other in clever ways. The way RD gets kicked out of the hospital at the most perilous part of the story. The way they show how much RD is into the book by self-sabotaging herself in her favorite board game that she never loses at but still can't bring herself to express it to Twilight. Everything works so perfectly with the characters. You can feel RD's plight when she's been chased all the way across town by the doctors and finds herself having to admit to Twilight that she tried reading and she likes it even though she was so sure of herself that reading was dumb at the beginning.

There was nothing like that in this episode. And it all goes back to freakin' Daring Don't and the stupid development of Daring Do being real. That episode on its own is actually pretty good, but that ruined so much that could've been cool with RD and DD's relationship. Ironically, it was so much better when they didn't know each other at all.

Ogodei

I liked this episode despite everyone getting nerfed against the Molwurv. Starlight/Trixie is probably the smoothest chemistry of any duo in the show at this point.

Not touching the spoilers, but making Daring Do real was undoubtedly one of the show's unambiguous mistakes. The only good thing that brought was "Stranger Than Fanfiction". Things like the ponies visiting new locations and getting caught up in an adventure could have easily been done without it.

But the main reason I'm posting ahead of my roundup is to announce an avatar change! I was going to shift to that official Twilight art I pointed out earlier once the movie got closer, but this Pirate Rarity art by tcn1205 was just too good to pass up. Plus, it sort of ties into the upcoming Magic the Gathering set.
thumb.png

Old avatar:
mlpfim__rarity_s_kitsune_cosplay_by_dsp2003-db8jakc.png

Also, here are all of the movie pirate vectors. It's a shame that this is for merchandise only and not the actual movie. Pinkie, Rarity, Fluttershy + Angel, Applejack, Twilight, Rainbow
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg

Mainly posting because, holy crap, that Applejack! Can she just stay a pirate? Fluttershy and Angel are looking pretty intense too.

EDIT: Spent way too much time messing around with my new avatar to make it not look so blurry at a small size. Ultimately, I roughly cut out Rarity, darkened the background, and darkened her smile a bit.

"To Change a Changeling" follow up.

NOTES
So the creature's name, maulwurf, is just the German word for mole. One wonders how the German dub will handle this.

In Ancient Sparta, two kings ruled at the same time with equal power. That seems to be what they're evoking by making Pharynx a second king, but many people are going with the idea that his new title is Prince.

SCREENSHOTS
Changeling hive outside
Comic - Starlight had better aim when she was evil
Unicorn pile (embedded)
Edit - Unicorn pile flipped - See comments for relevant Inconvenient Trixie art.
New changeling throne
Edit - Changelings shipping Startrix
Changeling food 1
Changeling food 2
Beetle food close up
Comparison - Luna and Pharynx
Trixie making a cute face to Thorax
small.png

YouTube captions are back!
Alternate source of food - Probably easier to find in Equestria.
Trixie's ex - Trixie's expression says everything.
Rarity's nightmare
Not exactly straight - And popping all around Equestria is definitely innuendo.
Fearsome s'more
Trixie's true form

GIFS
Edit - Pikachu Pharynx
Starlight waving hooves (embedded)
Trixie fireworks
Bagging unicorns
Theater changelings
Swing dancing changelings
Why Startrix is adorable in one GIF (embedded)
Pharynx ripping apart vines
Edit - Meme hippie changeling - With corresponding video
Happy soup changeling
Grubs fighting pony dummbies
Trixie making faces before saying "Maybe" (embedded)
Trixie throwing a rock (embedded)
Comic with animated panel - I threw a rock at him!

thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Campfire Tales - Reversed - Rockhoof loses his mushroom

FAN CONTENT
Video - Plushie Starlight watches a bit of the episode

Pharynx by mysticalpha
Burrowed Change by AssasinMonkey
Pharynx by OwlVortex
Pharynxbymysticalpha1504387914268.jpg
BurrowedChangebyAssasinMonkey1504470591048.png
PharynxbyOwlVortex1504470591214.jpg

Brothers by rossmaniteanzu
Pharynx by neonmaible
Some Things Never Change by trail-grazer
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png
thumb.png

Pharynx by hazardous-jackdawze
Pharynx by fanaticpanda
Pharynx by kana-the-drifter
thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.png

Attack on Maulwurf by JonFawkes
Pharynx by usagi-zakura
I love Pharynx by silverknight27 - Yes, this is an OC being shipped with Pharynx, but the art is nice.
small.png
small.png
small.png

I've Changed by mr100dragon100
Change a Changeling by kana-the-drifter
Pharynx and Thorax by vector-brony
small.png
thumb.png
small.png

Thorax and Pharynx by kuroneko
Changeling Brothers
thumb.jpeg
small.png

Comic - Prediction - Actually surprised this episode didn't go the map route. It even fits the pattern of those on map missions barely doing anything to help.

Campfire Tales
Sable Spirit by Francusfri - Surprised she actually got solo art.
A sticky situation by thediscorded
Legends of Equestria by InuHoshi-to-DarkPen
SableSpiritbyFrancusfri1504387913903.png
Astickysituationbythediscorded1504387914105.png
LegendsofEquestriabyInuHoshitoDarkPen1504470590823.png

The Perfect Pear
Applejack and parents by dstears
~ a perfect pear ~ by FeatherShine1
thumb.jpeg
aperfectpearbyFeatherShine11504470591969.png

A Royal Problem
Night vs Day by djspark3
Angry Princesses by MomoMistress
thumb.jpeg
AngryPrincessesbyMomoMistress1504470590730.png

Movie
Air Superiority by Shamanguli
Enemies Over the Horizon by InuHoshi-to-DarkPen
AirSuperioritybyShamanguli1504387913557.png
EnemiesOvertheHorizonbyInuHoshitoDarkPen1504470590669.png

Other
Parental Glideance - Better than the Best by twidasher - TwiDash art, and based on an old post season 3 fic I guess? You know, it's weird calling a post season 3 fic old.
thumb.png

A Flurry of Emotions - Horse Emojis Pack by sol-republica
small.png

I liked this episode despite everyone getting nerfed against the Molwurv. Starlight/Trixie is probably the smoothest chemistry of any duo in the show at this point.
Starlight and Trixie need a "Look Before You Sleep" episode.

Completely agreed. I always love seeing Starlight and Trixie team up for an episode. Certain stuff in some of their episodes might not work, but their chemistry is wonderful.

PSA: The first half of season 7 is now on Netflix.

Time for me to catch up!

Glad it's up, but I wonder what was with the delay, and why they're taking so long with the Equestria Girls specials.

Given that it's on Netflix now, I think it makes sense to include the first half of season 7 in the NeoGAF episode guide now, labeled as temporary, which will also include the EQG specials. Really, the main reason I want to do this is so I can recommend "Dance Magic" and write the descriptions for "Movie Magic" and "Mirror Magic": "a story that Scooby Doo would be ashamed of" and "but forget all that interesting stuff, our heroes must face the worst villain of the entire MLP franchise!" respectively.

A season has 14 recommended episodes, so half would be 7. And if you view that as leaving out 6, then, well, I don't think there's much of a point in holding a vote.
1. Celestial Advice
2. All Bottled Up
3. A Flurry of Emotions
4. Rock Solid Friendship
5. Fluttershy Leans In
6. Forever Filly
7. Parental Glideance
8. Hard to Say Anything
9. Honest Apple
10. A Royal Problem
11. Not Asking for Trouble
12. Discordant Harmony
13. The Perfect Pear

On another note, pirate and seapony Main Six vectors and pirate ship and Seaquestria backgrounds from the movie site.

1. Celestial Advice
2. All Bottled Up
3. A Flurry of Emotions
4. Rock Solid Friendship
5. Fluttershy Leans In
6. Forever Filly
7. Parental Glideance
8. Hard to Say Anything
9. Honest Apple
10. A Royal Problem
12. Discordant Harmony
13. The Perfect Pear

Mine is pretty much the same except I'd switch out Flurry of Emotions for Honest Apple. The episode with return of Photo Finish and Rarity guitar deserves a bold.

1. Celestial Advice
2. All Bottled Up
3. A Flurry of Emotions
4. Rock Solid Friendship
5. Fluttershy Leans In
6. Forever Filly
7. Parental Glideance
8. Hard to Say Anything
9. Honest Apple
10. A Royal Problem
12. Discordant Harmony
13. The Perfect Pear

Mine is pretty much the same except I'd switch out Flurry of Emotions for Honest Apple. The episode with return of Photo Finish and Rarity guitar deserves a bold.

Honest Apple had some fun moments with Rarity shredding the guitar and Photo Finish being Photo Finish, but it was pretty obnoxious with the main plot, especially Applejack.

If anything, I'd say Discordant Harmony should be one of the bolded episodes. First half with Discord being Discord might go on for a bit too long, but it's all worth it for that ending sequence with Fluttershy. That's seriously one of her top three moments ever imo.

1. Celestial Advice
2. All Bottled Up
3. A Flurry of Emotions
4. Rock Solid Friendship
5. Fluttershy Leans In
6. Forever Filly
7. Parental Glideance
8. Hard to Say Anything
9. Honest Apple
10. A Royal Problem
12. Discordant Harmony
13. The Perfect Pear

I'm honestly surprised I got more than three. I mean, some of these are debatable as is.

Also, I really like Starlight Glimmer :X

Oh, more love for "Discordant Harmony" and less for "A Flurry of Emotions" than I expected. Though looking at the comments for the latter now, I'm not sure how I got the impression it was well-liked here. I suppose I will just swap the two, and I'll make sure to note Guitar Rarity for "Honest Apple".

ED article recapping Mary Jane Begin's lecture on her MLP picture books. It's pretty interesting.

Also.
unnamed.jpg

Weird that of all characters, they made it with Starlight's color scheme. By the way, is there a consensus on what flavor everyone is?

UberTag

Weird that of all characters, they made it with Starlight's color scheme. By the way, is there a consensus on what flavor everyone is?
My votes...

Applejack = Spiced Apple Cider Ice Cream
Fluttershy = Strawberry Lemonade Punch Sherbet
Pinkie Pie = Funfetti Cake Batter Ice Cream Pie
Rainbow Dash = Superman Ice Cream
Rarity = Blueberry Ripple Ice Cream
Twilight Sparkle = Ube Ice Cream

(Yeah, I'm voting for ice cream flavors not S7 episodes for the guide. I have no sense of priorities.)

Oh, more love for "Discordant Harmony" and less for "A Flurry of Emotions" than I expected. Though looking at the comments for the latter now, I'm not sure how I got the impression it was well-liked here. I suppose I will just swap the two, and I'll make sure to note Guitar Rarity for "Honest Apple".

I mean, I don't dislike "A Flurry of Emotions" personally. I just don't think it's as good as "Discordant Harmony." AFoE has the Shining Armor/Cadence subplot at the art museum, which has its moments, but there's nothing there that's as big of a highlight as the conclusion of "Discordant Harmony."

Again, that's one of Fluttershy's best moments ever imo. It's a great demonstration of how much she's grown since the start of the show as well as her relationship with Discord. It's not just that she's gotten more self-confident or assertive, as "Fluttershy Leans In" tries to show off, it's that sense of excitement and interest she has in seeing Discord's private abode- a nightmare mesh of M.C. Escher and Dr. Seuss- that you just know wouldn't have been there in her at the start of the show.

For the episodes I would go:

Celestial Advice (Fun episode and is pretty plot important even though the resolution is just kicking the can down the road)

All Bottled Up (Star+Trix=instant nomination at this point)

Rock Solid Friendship (Best episode of the season so far IMO)

Parental Glideance (Not as crazy for it as others but an overall very well-received episode)

Royal Problem (Episode is a long time coming. As much of a Must-Watch as you can get)

Discordant Harmony (Prometheus sold me on it. It's a standout moment for the character and IMO is worth all the drudgery to get there. Especially since I doubt they're going to have a better Fluttershy episode this season unless the Zecora one ends up being really good)

The Perfect Pear (Again not crazy for it but like Royal Problem it's such a milestone episode for the series it's pretty much a must-watch)

Aside from Discordant Harmony I feel like all of those are pretty concrete.

Also just want to say that Hasbro is really going all out promoting the movie. All the cinema stuff looks like a lot of effort was put into it.

For the episodes I would go:

Celestial Advice (Fun episode and is pretty plot important even though the resolution is just kicking the can down the road)

All Bottled Up (Star+Trix=instant nomination at this point)

Rock Solid Friendship (Best episode of the season so far IMO)

Parental Glideance (Not as crazy for it as others but an overall very well-received episode)

Royal Problem (Episode is a long time coming. As much of a Must-Watch as you can get)

Discordant Harmony (Prometheus sold me on it. It's a standout moment for the character and IMO is worth all the drudgery to get there. Especially since I doubt they're going to have a better Fluttershy episode this season unless the Zecora one ends up being really good)

The Perfect Pear (Again not crazy for it but like Royal Problem it's such a milestone episode for the series it's pretty much a must-watch)

Aside from Discordant Harmony I feel like all of those are pretty concrete.

Also just want to say that Hasbro is really going all out promoting the movie. All the cinema stuff looks like a lot of effort was put into it.

Yup, I'd say that's a solid list. I'd probably go with all of those same picks myself.

Also shoutout for that special appreciation on Rock Solid Friendship! Such a fun episode. :D It's still part of my Top 3 or 4 for the season so far.

UberTag

Things I liked about Daring Done...
The background art.

The folklore story about Sonambula.

Hearing more of Chiara Zanni... look Daring Do / A.K. Yearling has been pretty much reduced to a trash character but I do still enjoy hearing Chiara on the show. Just wish she was given more to work with.

If you want to scope her out in something great, I can vouch for her role as Faina in the Infinite Ryvius dub. Hell, there are countless great Vancouver talents flexing their dramatic weight in that title. And, if you're looking for something more domestic, she was entertaining as hell as Piper in Storm Hawks.

Things I didn't like about Daring Done...
Absolutely everything else. This episode was garbage-tier. Like Equestria Girls Movie Magic bad.

Didn't care for this week's MLP Movie Prequel comic. There's good stuff there, but it's behind the first six or seven pages which are pretty rough in how they're written and the information handled. It's a lot of repetition.

Don't hate it, but after the previous issue which I really, really liked, it's a disappointment.

Haven't hit up Legends of Magic yet, but I'm not holding my hopes up for it.

To explain my surprise at "Discordant Harmony"'s popularity, reactions to the episode both during the Australian and US airings seemed to be pretty tepid. As I mentioned, I chose episodes for the guide based more on what to exclude, so I was thinking more about it getting a weak response than whatever response "A Flurry of Emotions" got. I guess it was mainly the episode being paired up with "The Perfect Pear" that resulted in little discussion. "DH" is definitely one of those episodes where an extremely strong conclusion makes up for whatever failings the rest of the episode has, which I suppose is more important to include than an average-at-best episode like "A Flurry of Emotions", even if that episode did confirm that Twilight is BAE both in and out of universe. It's sort of like "Brotherhooves Social" in that way, though PonyGAF's aversion to cringe is too much for that episode's ending to make it recommended. Good thing the guide is changing to include notes for every episode.

Hasbro correctly uploaded "To Change a Changeling", but put the title and description for "It Isn't the Mane Thing About You", though they have taken it down now. It wasn't the full description either.

Well this is a shock. Equestria Girls dolls are still coming, with some going to be unveiled at HasCon. I had assumed they phased them out completely for Minis.

Movie Prequel #4 (END) - Tempest Shadow
No Silver Quill, so using Derpibooru for images. Unfortunately, the panels I wanted to point out aren't singled out, so no images for this comic.

This issue covers some of the same territory as the prequel chapter book described by Shiny. It didn't sound too interesting there, but it works a lot better in the context of these comics. I particularly found it strange how the chapter book introduced the Misfortune Malachite only to have Storm King destroy it, but that made a lot more sense here. Plus, the way Tempest escaped his forces made more sense than how Shiny described it.

Tempest was drawn in a surprisingly adorable way here, despite looking pretty similar to her movie self, particularly when she was writing in her diary. I also noted how the art went out of its way not to show her cutie mark--if she has one. Though she didn't go out of her way to be friendly, she was nicer and I suppose more vulnerable than we've seen in the movie so far. When she met up with that other pony, I thought for sure he was going to betray her and that would lead her down a dark path, but no, he was helpful the entire time.

It's interesting that Storm King didn't seem to know Equestria existed, or apparently what unicorns are, and Grubber and his team were startled by unicorn magic. It was unclear why Tempest gave up Equestria so easily. I guess the implication is that since he rejected to Malachite, he needed a different reason to spare her, but all that was needed to make this more clear was him saying, "Care to try again?" or something after explaining why he destroyed it.

Overall, I thought it was an enjoyable issue, but it didn't explain the area I thought needed to be fleshed out: the time after joining the Storm King but before the movie, and how she hardened herself.

Legends of Magic #5 - Somnambula
I thought this was a really charming issue, and both Somnambula and Pinkie were adorable. This is especially due to the fantastic art, which makes those two shine.

In the framing device, Sunburst once again is forced to spend time with a pushy mare, when he runs into Pinkie planning a birthday party for Luna's opossum. This time, she won't settle for him reading the story, and instead reads it to him while doing the voices. Pinkie and Sunburst are a pretty good comedic duo, and it's a shame he isn't appearing more in the show; Starlight's group and the Main Six really need to mix more.
small.jpeg

Somnambula was a really likable character, appearing to be similar to Pinkie if her craziness was toned down more into a sort of airheaded yet clever personality, and more focus was placed on the observation skills we see at the end of "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" and implied by "Party Pooped". She also shares some qualities with Twilight. Also, she really does have a great design.
small.png

The situation with the snake was fun, from her trying to understand things outside it to her finding increasingly smaller things as she traveled along. I was a bit disappointed that the increasingly smaller things didn't serve as clues for her to figure something out, since she just had the entire situation explained to her by the wizard at the end, though.

Overall, good issue, and I look forward to seeing Somnambula in the show. Also, potentially useful?
thumb.png

If it wasn't for my last avatar change being so recent, I'd be tempted to change it to that, with the text bubble enlarged.

Didn't care for this week's MLP Movie Prequel comic. There's good stuff there, but it's behind the first six or seven pages which are pretty rough in how they're written and the information handled. It's a lot of repetition.

Don't hate it, but after the previous issue which I really, really liked, it's a disappointment.

Haven't hit up Legends of Magic yet, but I'm not holding my hopes up for it.

Compared to the previous issues, this doesn't flow as well from the preceding comic, but I didn't think the first pages were a problem. I can't say how much you'd like the LoM issue, but I liked it a lot.

Also shoutout for that special appreciation on Rock Solid Friendship! Such a fun episode. :D It's still part of my Top 3 or 4 for the season so far.

I feel like the episode is overlooked a bit since it didn't have anything game-changing in it like the ones with Rainbow's or AJ's parents or Royal Problem which was the first Royal Sisters episode. It's my favorite portrayal of Starlight so far since it does a great job at subtly showing off how her character has grown over season 6.

Things I didn't like about Daring Done...
Absolutely everything else.

Before even revealing the spoilers I knew you were going to say that because there's no way to fit all the problems the episode had in just one line lol

The Prequel comic and the prequel book contradict each other so hard lol. Despite all my issues with the prequel book I feel like that story was better at showing how Shadow ended up hooking up with the Storm King better then this one. (Mild spoilers for the book which is kinda spoilers for the movie)
I liked the idea that she felt welcome by Grubber and that he partially played a role in her joining the team. Also in the book her going after Equestria was more of a last-ditch effort to try and get her horn back after her attempt to steal the pearl from the Hippogriphs failed rather then literally the first thing that came to mind. For that matter this comic has a massive story contradiction given that Tempest is supposed to be the one that tries to steal from the Hippogriphs but that doesn't actually work into the storyline here since right after meeting the Storm King she tells them to go after Equestria.
There's some cool artwork in here but I didn't care for it much, especially due to how it has no continuity with the book which I feel fits in with the movie's actual plot better then the comic.

Legends of Magic on the other hand was great. Somnambula was a lot of fun especially due to the artwork as Sigma highlights. The framing device was enjoyable too and again I wish we could see characters like Sunburst and Trixie actually interacting with the other members of the Mane 6. Poor Sunburst looks like he's going to be completely AWOL this season. Overall one of my favorite comics that I've read.

Hasbro released some Karaoke machine related to the movie and has abridged versions of two of the songs sung by kids. So keep that in mind before you say that it sounds awful due to the terrible singing. You can check out the songs here and here. (There's several seconds before the music starts)

Suburst can stay AWOL. Dude wasn't even cool enough to be apart of the TWABA band of misfits.

bba448005946246f36e8cbc0993dcb67.jpg

Don't hate on Sunburst, he has a lot of potential as a character, particularly as the straight man. Those Starlight-Trixie-Sunburst fan comics by bobthedalek are great for that; we haven't even had Sunburst and Trixie meet in the show yet!

Two movie songs from the toy karaoke machine! Albeit with stand-in singers, but they gives a taste of how they sound in the movie.

ED reviews the MLP Movie frozen yogurt! Pink is cotton candy with animal crackers (definitely sounds like Pinkie!) and blue is white chocolate for some reason. Pink overpowers blue in flavor, but it's supposed to be pretty decent.

So, HasCon starts tomorrow. During the following days, we'll get information not just about the movie, but also season 8 (yes, before 7 ends) and likely even the EQG series. Any predictions about what we'll see?

Don't hate on Sunburst, he has a lot of potential as a character, particularly as the straight man. Those Starlight-Trixie-Sunburst fan comics by bobthedalek are great for that; we haven't even had Sunburst and Trixie meet in the show yet!

Two movie songs from the toy karaoke machine! Albeit with stand-in singers, but they gives a taste of how they sound in the movie.

ED reviews the MLP Movie frozen yogurt! Pink is cotton candy with animal crackers (definitely sounds like Pinkie!) and blue is white chocolate for some reason. Pink overpowers blue in flavor, but it's supposed to be pretty decent.

So, HasCon starts tomorrow. During the following days, we'll get information not just about the movie, but also season 8 (yes, before 7 ends) and likely even the EQG series. Any predictions about what we'll see?

Isn't BobtheDalek's comics Trixie trying to ship Starlight and Sunburst together? I can see why you would like them Sigma.

You know I was waiting for like an hour to see if you would post the karaoke stuff before posting it lol.

@Hascon I'm guessing as for movie stuff it will largely be the stuff they showed off at Comicon. Hopefully since this is the last big convention before the movie's release they'll go ahead and let it be uploaded to youtube. Best case scenario they release a new trailer but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. For Season 8 stuff maybe they'll hint at whoever the new guest VA for one of the episodes is. Don't know how they could talk much about it in ways that it makes sense talking about it over Season 7 (It makes more sense to show off the stuff that is coming out over half a year sooner) unless it is stuff that shakes up the show IE Starlight gets a new role in the show or they add in a new major character. At any rate there's probably a high chance of a new animatic for one of the upcoming Season 7 episodes that'll probably be shown off.

Speaking of Hascon EQD is doing its usual coverage of major conventions for it and is showing off all the displays for it. Most of the stuff is merch we've already seen before so I won't link any of it but if you're interested go to Equestria Daily to check it out.

They've been releasing new promotional posters for the movie coming up every Friday and the ones for today have been released already. I'll link a couple of my favorites below but I'd recommend going to the EQD link here to take a look at all of them since they're all really cool.

aQmva87.jpg
dFP2RPc.jpg
CbUXJLx.jpg

A clip from a new EQG short has made its way to Youtube. It's super short, it's recorded with a Cell Phone, and doesn't really show off that much. With all that said it looks like the animation quality is on the same level as DHX rather then Boulder Media and it looks like they already redid the intro. At any rate you can check it out here.

Also the EQG panel has been completed as well. Unfortunately the notes that the rep from EQD took are kinda unclear so I'll try to piece together what it looks like he's saying.

>There's some talk about the origins of the show
>The characters have been restyled by a red carpet stylist for the new "season" (Whether that means an actual TV show or just more short clips is never really made clear)
>There's School Play episode that'll be coming out
>There's no current plans as to whether there's an EQG Sunset that already exists in addition to the one from Equestria
>No plans for Discord either
>They have a Choose your own adventure series planned out for youtube with one of them being where a coal miner's daughter wants to disco. There's another one where you choose whether Sunset, AJ, or Twilight save Fluttershy who is stuck. The series is expected for November

Sorry the guy changes the formatting and tense he presents his stuff in like every other line and it's hard for me to effectively rephrase what he's saying. If the panel sounds interesting you can see the full posting by EQD here and I would encourage you to do so since there were a lot of minor details I left out.

I'll be updating this post as more info from the convention is released today if no one else posts

Isn't BobtheDalek's comics Trixie trying to ship Starlight and Sunburst together? I can see why you would like them Sigma.
Not sure what to make of that assumption >_>
Can't say I particularly noticed any SunLight2 shipping in those comics, but I've only been incidentally coming across them for episode roundups and when ED posts them. I guess it's there in retrospect. Anyway, I'm more a StarTrix guy.

You know I was waiting for like an hour to see if you would post the karaoke stuff before posting it lol.
And I was waiting to see if there was more news.

As for the HasCon stuff, the posters look neat, but it's hard to make sense of that EQG stuff. Are these just more videos like the Summertime Shorts or will they be long enough for actual stories? Etc. I'll comment more when I'm home.

Not sure what to make of that assumption >_>
Can't say I particularly noticed any SunLight2 shipping in those comics, but I've only been incidentally coming across them for episode roundups and when ED posts them. I guess it's there in retrospect. Anyway, I'm more a StarTrix guy.

And I was waiting to see if there was more news.

As for the HasCon stuff, the posters look neat, but it's hard to make sense of that EQG stuff. Are these just more videos like the Summertime Shorts or will they be long enough for actual stories? Etc. I'll comment more when I'm home.

I was making a joke about how you like shipping. He doesn't do it in all of his comics featuring them but it's in a couple of them like this one. (Slightly suggestive so I'll link it here)

Ok I'm glad I wasn't the only person confused about that. They mention a new season at one point but everything they've described so far sounds like a short rather then an actual show. Nothing we've heard of so far sounds too exciting though for me. Perhaps they're testing the waters with these shorts to see if there's interest before going into an actual full-length series?

EDIT: Someone uploaded a VA panel from Hascon. I'll watch it later and post my thoughts on it as well as the stuff that I found most interesting but you can find it here

Watching through the VA panel I linked. Thoughts/info as I go through it:

> The panel is ran by Meghan McCarthy and features Andrea Libman, Cathy Weseluck, and Rebecca Shoichet
> The VAs don't do much ad-libbing or making things up on the spot compared to other shows as they feel like the original material that they're given is already very good. However it sounds like they aren't given that much direction. They record everything in a room together at the same time and since they have been working with the characters for such a long time they can usually do a good job at knowing how they would be feeling.
> Andrea talked about auditioning for the show initially. It stuck out to her because there were a lot of female roles which she liked because usually there are only a handful and they have to compete with all the other female talent in all of Vancouver for the role. She liked that the characters' personalities were already very well-defined compared to most the other roles she's auditioned for.
> The origin of "Oatmeal are you crazy" was part of one of Andrea's audition lines where Pinkie was discussing what should go on top of cupcakes. Pinkie then says Hot Sauce is way better. Andrea also mentions that originally Pinkie had a bit softer of a voice but changed it to sound more energetic to help differentiate the voice from Fluttershy.
> It's so surreal seeing Spike's voice coming out of Cathy. She talks about how she originally thought he was going to be a BABY dragon with a much younger voice before they settled on the one that he has now.
> Bit of discussion on Sunset Shimmer. McCarthy asks the VAs how Sunset would react if she went back to Equestria. (Ok now they're just fucking with us lol) This was largely a segue way to the clip that I linked a couple posts ago.
> They ask the "Any tips for becoming a VA" question that is pretty standard for these kinds of panels. Andrea mentions getting formal acting training. Cathy mentions you don't need to get the most expensive equipment immediately and you should seek out a coach. Rebecca talks about going to art school helped her out a lot and points out she actually took a class from Cathy
> Rebecca jokes about how she's sad she didn't get a role as one of the OG main characters.
> They show a clip of Make This Castle a Home sung in various languages. They include Finnish, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Korean, Dutch, Thai (god Pinkie sounds awful in these two), German, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Arabic, Italian, Castilian Spanish, Polish, Latin American Spanish, and Czech. McCarthy says that the show is shown in around 140 different territories. Side note that some languages might have not lasted 5 seasons which is why there is no Japanese
> On to a Q&A which I'll pass on

The crowd sounds pretty sparse. Apparently there's some issues with the convention partially due to the price of attending it but also that the schedule is confusing. People are complaining about a lot of the rules in place too.

The person covering the event from EQD points out that the main event that occurred had a lot of restrictions in place banning people from talking about it or distributing info from it. The event had a sneak peek about the movie but he can't talk about it other then him insisting "If you've ever thought about not seeing the movie, what ever the reason, you are super mistaken. Like sweet Celestia. They nailed it." So there's that at least.

Lastly throwing this here because it's adorable
mSm0JVP.png

Looking at ED's coverage,

Not much to report about the EQG panel that Shiny didn't already cover.

About the cam footage of the upcoming short EQG "Overpowered", I wasn't going to watch it until I saw it was just 30 seconds. Not a huge fan of the new intro, but it's literally just a few seconds. I can't say much about the rest of the content, but the bit of the pacing we got makes me think this is longer than just three or so minutes like the Summertime Shorts. Well, we'll see.

Not watching the voice actor panel unless there's something particularly interesting in it.

New EQG dolls
New%2BEquestria%2BGirls%2B2017%2BToys%2BHASCON%2B2.jpg

Uh... better than they used to be, I guess. The faces are kind of weird, but that's more due to not looking like the cartoon versions. The outfits seem to be high quality, which I know is important to doll collectors. Note that these seem to have their new default outfits. Here's the press release:
MY LITTLE PONY EQUESTRIA GIRLS CLASSIC DOLL ASSORTMENT I & II
Imagine fun, fashion-forward scenes with friends from Canterlot High…in a brand new look for Spring 2018! Inspired by entertainment, the 7 dolls in the My Little Pony Equestria Girls Classic Doll Assortment I and II look true-to-character.

Each doll is wearing a personality-inspired classic outfit: Applejack comes in a country chic outfit, complete with cowboy boots; Rarity rocks a runway look with a gem-printed, shiny top, and shiny jewelry accessories to match; Pinkie Pie wears a fun party dress with party balloons printed on top; Sunset Shimmer shows off her edgy style with a studded-faux leather vest and trendy ankle boots, Fluttershy wears a flowy dress and sandals fit for tending to animals in a garden, while Rainbow Dash sports bright colored bracelets, shoes, and leggings with funky stripes to match her wild and adventurous streak and Twilight Sparkle wears a more conservative and studious look with a trendy glasses accessory. Every outfit incorporates their cutie mark…with lots of fashionable flair!

From the General MLP Booth
* This throne is weird - Discord and Fluttershy banners on either side, and the throne seems like it's meant for Discord. This has to mean something, right?
My%2BLittle%2BPony%2BHASCON%2BGeneral%2BBooth%2B13.jpg

From the EQG Booth
* The character art on the walls is neat - This seems to match the pony art we saw on the fronts of the beach Minis packaging; maybe these are on the back.
* Oh, the Summertime Shorts were meant to tie into the new Minis playsets! That somehow didn't click until I saw a toy of Fluttershy in her outfit from that pet short, and then Celestia in a classroom. We still haven't seen Sunset Sushi, though.
* It looks like they're selling actual clothes based on the new default outfits. Obviously not an expert, but they do seem fashionable.
My%2BLittle%2BPony%2BHASCON%2BEquestria%2BGirls%2B11.jpg

From the live blog
* Poor Applejack, having to settle for Fluttershy's color
* ED is under an NDA about what was covered during the MLP Movie panel. They're very positive about what they saw, though.
20170908_124553.jpg

Over in the Magic thread, there's been a lot of grumbling about how HasCon is a wildly misguided idea, bringing together brands that don't share much of an audience yet not having enough brands to appeal to a wide variety of people like at a typical large convention. Apparently, they even specifically shut down a Transformers convention that was going to happen around this time in order to bring more attention to this, which rubbed people the wrong way--Transformers conventions appear to depend more on Hasbro involvement than Pony conventions. Plus, that entry price. From the pictures, it does look pretty empty.

==

OK, time to find art, and... Derpibooru is down. Well, that makes things easier for me. Here's stuff that ED posted. I'll hold off on "Daring Done?" art for now.

To Change a Changeling
The Changelings by Calenita
Soupy Soup Soups by lumineko
No Need for a Soldier by InuHoshi-to-DarkPen
The Royal Brothers by MissyDakota
TheChangelingsbyCalenita1504651222324.jpg
S7E17SoupySoupSoupsbyluminaura1504727949370.png
NoNeedforaSoldierbyInuHoshitoDarkPen1504727949471.png
TheRoyalBrothersbyMissyDakota1504900211801.png

Campfire Tales (or more accurately, Mistmane)
Mistmane by Shiba Roll
Mistmane by beanybabie
byshibaroll1504651222549.png
Mistmanebybeanybabie1504835282946.png

Other
Movie - Tempest Shadow by luna-moonarts
The Perfect Pear - Granny found an old photo... by OpalAcorn
TempestShadowbylulamoonarts1504835276531.png
GrannyfoundanoldphotobyOpalAcorn1504900211741.png

Comic
A Royal Problem - Lunacakes by Omny87 - Luna tries to make a cake. The comic isn't labeled as tying into "A Royal Problem", but it certainly seems inspired by it.

Videos
To Change a Changeling CENSORED - Eh, wasn't a fan of this one.
Totally real leaked season 8 intro - Looks pretty good.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The person covering the event from EQD points out that the main event that occurred had a lot of restrictions in place banning people from talking about it or distributing info from it. The event had a sneak peek about the movie but he can't talk about it other then him insisting "If you've ever thought about not seeing the movie, what ever the reason, you are super mistaken. Like sweet Celestia. They nailed it." So there's that at least.

Why on Earth would Hasbro have a sneak preview event and NOT want people to talk about it and build hype?

UberTag

It's going to be weird having Zecora featured prominently in the next two episodes after they spent the better part of the past few seasons effectively writing her out of existence.

Have we even seen her in any kind of prominent role since the Season 5 finale?

I think I read in the comments somewhere that the NDA for stuff is up a week before the movie comes out.

I was about to say that I remembered they were having the movie panel again later this weekend, so they just wanted to make things exciting for the attendees of that, but if the NDA really lasts that long, then I'm stumped.

It's going to be weird having Zecora featured prominently in the next two episodes after they spent the better part of the past few seasons effectively writing her out of existence.

Have we even seen her in any kind of prominent role since the Season 5 finale?

Huh, yeah, you're right. I'm pretty sure she didn't appear at all in season 6. Her role in seasons 4 and 5 wasn't any smaller than in the first seasons, though.

I'm guessing you brought this up because you thought today's episode was "It Isn't the Mane Thing About You". In fact, it's

18. Daring Done
When Rainbow Dash's favorite author, A.K. Yearling, announces her retirement, Dash convinces Pinkie Pie to go on a quest to find out if the book on Daring Do really will be closed forever.

Reception to the main story hasn't exactly been positive, so I hope to find Somnambula's section entertaining at least.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this episode either. And I'm someone who doesn't really mind the whole "Daring Do was real all along" reveal. It didn't work in "Daring Don't," but it was worth it for that episode with Patton Oswalt.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The Good:

Pinkie and Dash interactions were a lot of fun
Loved the Sonambula story and the pony designs from the new village.

The Bad

The story was kind of bad. Daring Do gives up way to easily and the villagers are idiots.

The Ugly

Dash cowering in fear at the sight of a few thugs. She should have gone down fighting rather than just sit there.

So, all in all, meh. I didn't care for the episode as a whole, but there were a few things I likes a lot.

UberTag

I'm guessing you brought this up because you thought today's episode was "It Isn't the Mane Thing About You". In fact, it's

18. Daring Done
Nah, I was fully aware what today's episode was. I'm trying to move past it as quick as possible and forget it even took place.

Looking at ED's coverage,

Collection of stuff

The VA panel is pretty standard. If you've seen one before then it's pretty similar to that. Most of the interesting stuff I highlighted so if you don't like watching those panels it's pretty easy to skip.

Feel like I'm not in the target demo for those EQG dolls. They look like pop fashion and are a bit too wild for my taste but I'm guessing people that like collecting those kinds of things will be happy.

Hascon in general was just odd. It's more expensive then Comicon and Pax (You can find Pax tickets for less then $60 resold if you look hard enough) and there's way less stuff to do. Hasbro's brands don't have much connection to each other so I would say 90% of people are only interested in 1 or 2 of its brands. Also no one really has any brand loyalty to Hasbro either. Aside from all the super exclusive events that they put on like the top secret panel for MLP or some draft of a never-before-seen set that they did in magic apparently there isn't anything that would make you want to go to this over a event that actually specialized in what you're interested in because if you're going to Hascon it's probably just for one of the things they're featuring so the fact that MLP, MTG, Transformers, and all of Hasbro's other properties are all there doesn't really matter. Maybe Hascon might be a bit more kid friendly but the ticket prices are absurd and will scare most parents away I feel.

Why on Earth would Hasbro have a sneak preview event and NOT want people to talk about it and build hype?

I mentioned it but I feel like that kind of event was primarily to make the con goers feel like they didn't waste their money rather then actually hype up the movie

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this episode either. And I'm someone who doesn't really mind the whole "Daring Do was real all along" reveal. It didn't work in "Daring Don't," but it was worth it for that episode with Patton Oswalt.

Yeah I never minded the fact that Daring Do was real but aside from Stranger Then Fan Fiction they haven't handled it very well because all she tends to do is stand there while Rainbow gawks at her and says how awesome she is. Daring Do for the most part has just been a prop for Rainbow to react to and tell what to do rather then an actual character that has her own agenda.

Also Day 2 of Hascon has started up and there's a TON of new stuff so far. I'm a bit busy so I won't be able to do a recap of all the stuff right now but I'll link an animatic that looks to be showing off the Season 8 opener a bit. Pretty juicy spoilers you can get it here

Daring Don't is interesting. It's an episode with some truly terrible ideas and directions for the characters within, but there are so many good moments that you can almost make it work in your head.

Squint you eyes, block out Rainbow Dash/the mane six with your hands, and you have the most fun Daring Do adventure. Her fighting the band of cats had a lot of silly moments... she kicks the kitten right in the face and is a total gaudy god.

1262460__safe_screencap_applejack_daring+do_fluttershy_pinkie+pie_rainbow+dash_rarity_twilight+sparkle_twilight+sparkle+%28alicorn%29_daring+don%27t_al.gif

But forget to do that and, while you still some pretty fun moments between Rainbow Dash and the mane cast and Rainbow Dash and herself, it just pounds you with some of the most offensive schlock they could've possibly served up to people that love Read it and Weep. It's a fan fantasy come true for Rainbow Dash, and she's rewarded with it for persistence instead of patience.

UberTag

Also Day 2 of Hascon has started up and there's a TON of new stuff so far. I'm a bit busy so I won't be able to do a recap of all the stuff right now but I'll link an animatic that looks to be showing off the Season 8 opener a bit. Pretty juicy spoilers you can get it here
Was Chrysalis seriously going to overlook Starlight Glimmer AGAIN until Pinkie Pie pointed it out?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Top Bottom