• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 7 |OT| Is this still a fad?

haven't watched anything in a few weeks (months)

it looks like the season isn't gonna be done by the time the movie comes out though, so it'll probably be a few more weeks (months) before i catch up lol

gonna try to see the movie opening weekend

Alright ladies and gentlemen, brace yourselves...

Can we just talk about how good Read it and Weep and Daring Do was/used to be instead of how insufferable Daring Done was?

Daring Do and Rainbow Dash in this are at the bottom of a valley of poor characterization. Daring Do starts off in this pitiful slump, which, okay, seemed like a decent conflict to explore at first; it makes sense there'd be some people out there that don't fully appreciate what she's doing. However, our first problem arises: as soon as it's obvious she's been had by Caballeron (aka the moment he started talking), you'd expect the shrewd and resourceful adventure pony to figure it out and come up with a brilliant plan to reveal the truth to everybody. This is the person that managed to escape a quicksand, tied-to-a-table-while-spikes-are-coming-from-both-sides trap with her hat, but RD has to pull the weight for her in Daring Done.

And on a rewatch, it's come to my attention that Caballeron only set her up in the case of the glow paz, but not the statue crumbling; she actually did screw that one up. However, now we have a second problem: I realized this flew completely over my head the first time because there is such a bizarre, not-resolution to this that it actually convinced me it must've been ALL Caballeron during my first watch. The whole episode is centered around how this town and all of Southern Equestria apparently is not fond of the way she's treated them, and through LITTLE TO NO interaction between the two parties, they've somehow come to completely forgive her? Let me explain...

At the end of the Sonambula story, the crowd is clearly not on friendly terms with the menace Daring Do, and they leave. The next scene they're in is the final confrontation with Caballeron. Caballeron exclaims "At first, I just wanted the glow paz. But then, I saw an opportunity to write you [Daring Do] out of the story for good! *laughs*" and then it cuts to the crowd gasping... uh, why does this town suddenly give a shit about Daring Do? She still screwed up your statue and ran away instead of helping you out with it. To the town, this should just be a squabble between a vandal and a thief with little sympathy towards either.

This was the obvious part to settle that score in a one-on-one way, Daring Do having to face the consequences of her actions that has been informing her character this entire episode, but instead, it just fizzles. You contorted Daring Do into this shell of her former self to have this conflict, but it is straight up avoided by both the characters and the writers. What a waste of time.

l6KCnLZ.jpg

Yay! Daring Do you're so loved and great and special! Whew!

And can we talk about RD now? Just shut up, Rainbow Dash. SHUT UP. You're a nuisance to everyone around you. The WHOLE problem is that everyone in this town thinks Daring Do is a bad dude, and actually to a certain extent, she kind of demonstrably is. So what is the very first thing RD does? Walks up to someone and talks about how awesome DD is. Where is that supposed to get you? After Daring Don't, the episode where 1. Rainbow Dash is bad at making plans but Daring Do shows her that it's a good idea to have a plan and 2. Rainbow Dash learns to not overhype her idols, you would think she would've approached this a little differently.

Regardless, it continues. And continues. And continues until I want to blow my brains out at how annoying and one-dimensional she is about this entire thing.

But can I really blame her? Daring Do wouldn't do jack the entire time. There were probably more raw seconds of her running away from scenes than having a dialogue with any one townsperson. Like I said, a shell of her former self. So much so that she ends up feeling more like a dispenser of feel-good lines directed at the two main characters. "Everypony I try to help is mad at me..." Really? C'mon. "Thanks for helping me come to my senses. You two are true friends." Please, stop. "Thanks for reminding me to never give up hope, Pinkie!" JFC. I literally started a list titled "bad Daring Do lines" for this. One of these days they're going to have to actually make a Daring Do episode where she and Rainbow Dash have some genuine banter, some genuine comradery so that when she says this schlock I might buy into it at least a little bit.

yD4RtC2.jpg

She's looking for some good Daring Do dialogue but I can't seem to find it either!

You know an episode where there actually was a compelling relationship between the two? You're never gonna believe it, but Read it and Weep. Damn, that episode was so gangster. The way the two situations mirror each other in clever ways. The way RD gets kicked out of the hospital at the most perilous part of the story. The way they show how much RD is into the book by self-sabotaging herself in her favorite board game that she never loses at but still can't bring herself to express it to Twilight. Everything works so perfectly with the characters. You can feel RD's plight when she's been chased all the way across town by the doctors and finds herself having to admit to Twilight that she tried reading and she likes it even though she was so sure of herself that reading was dumb at the beginning.

There was nothing like that in Daring Done. And it all goes back to freakin' Daring Don't and the stupid development of Daring Do being real. That episode on its own is actually pretty good, but that ruined so much that could've been cool with Rainbow Dash and Daring Do's relationship; ironically, it was so much better when they didn't know each other at all.

"If only she could escape this oppressive atmosphere and fly up into the cool, blue sky. But her crash landing in the jungle had injured her wing and she was grounded for a few days. A few days... it might as well be a few months. Or a few years!"

"I'm right there with you, sister," Rainbow Dash said, as she stared exasperatedly at her own injured wing.

eXVPXmv.jpg

That moment, among others in Read it and Weap, is so much more of a compelling connection than anything that happens in THIS episode despite the two ponies, as the Daring Done painfully points out, being best buds. Ugh.

In addition to the main problems with the episode, it felt like it lacked polish. I guess you could just call them "nitpicks," but to me they were more like small things with easy fixes that made me go "huh?" a couple of times and they just piled up.

First thing was when Rainbow Dash is speaking to the crowd in front of the statue. She mentions Ahuizotl, and then it cuts to the crowd. They're just kind of talking, as in they could either be discussing the issue or confused on who that is — you can't really tell either way. But then for some reason it cuts back to Rainbow Dash explaining who Ahuizotl is. It's just kind of like, are you sure they didn't understand who you were talking about? They didn't give the impression of looking decidedly confused at specifically that. Maybe throw in someone speaking up and saying "who's that?" from the crowd?

Second thing was Rainbow Dash getting captured. She made no effort to resist besides yelling, and if she did, it was awkwardly off-screen. Even if it was off-screen, literally from the get-go of the conversation she just sits down in submission. It's like, why is she sitting? Very un-Rainbow. The solution was to have Caballeron restrain her by surprise before the conversation started.

R0XSVIu.jpg

They literally gave her Fluttershy body language for this scene to work.

Third thing was the "leap of faith." It really had no relation to what actually happened in the story. Even though she was making a leap of faith, at least Sonambula had SOME information on what was going on like the bridge she saw in front of her and the prince's voice. On the other hand, Pinkie's literally like FUCK IT and jumps. Huh? Did she know she at least had a chance or survival? How did the legend manage to have more rationale than the real world? "It's just Pinkie being Pinkie" doesn't work here when we had an entire story dedicated to setting up this moment. It would've worked the exact same way if the characters and the audience both clearly saw the air puff puffs.

The animation was also pretty weird. DD first just kind of moves up in down from a sitting position and then they do the bouncy thing as if they're hitting solid ground. It would've been a lot more fun if every bounce semi-violently shook them around.

2YBcTRw.jpg

Why is that the position they chose to put her in?

Fourth thing was when Caballeron was first confronting Rainbow Dash, he tells her "when I saw you, her closest friend, I knew that Daring Do would not be far behind." The implication seems to be that he saw Rainbow Dash independently of Daring Do and had enough time to consciously think about the likelihood of Daring Do arriving soon without knowing for sure. HOWEVER, if you rewind back to the beginning when the heroes first arrive in town, Daring Do as A.K. Yearling, who we know Caballeron knows to be Daring Do from Daring Don't, is standing right next to Rainbow Dash — there's no way he could miss her being there, even in those first few moments.

PxpXZ7r.jpg

Please do not lie to me and tell me that Caballeron might've maybe just missed Daring Do with ^that^

And if that wasn't enough, two seconds later Daring Do runs away because of his comments, and we see Caballeron smirking, so clearly he knew that was her.

7CxSuVO.jpg

So it just makes the later line feel clunky. Of course you knew she wasn't far behind — she was literally standing right there!

Fifth thing was those townspeople were so dumb! During the exchanges between Rainbow Dash and hooded Caballeron before and after the Sonambula story (which was a nice refugee from the main story I might add), they treated every sentence like some massive revelation that completely changed their outlook on the situation.

"Daring Do is a pretty cool dude."
"Alright, alright, she makes a good point."
"Actually, I don't know if you guys know this, buuuuuutttt... Daring Do... is BAD!"
"BOOOOOOOOO!!!"

G4r8fSB.jpg

The faces of some true Sonambulan intellectuals.

Sixth thing is that the Daring-Yearling dynamic is really f'ing convoluted at this point.

Okay, so of course back in Daring Don't, we found out that the author of the Daring Do books actually really is Daring Do, and that everything in the books actually happen. At the time, it's still kind of unclear whether or not people know Daring Do is a real person that actually does all the things in her books, but that seemed to be answered in Stranger Than Fan Fiction when Quibble Pants said "Whoa, you're real?!" to Daring Do when they first meet; if Quibble didn't know she was real, then probably no one does.

...or so we thought. Now we arrive to Daring Done, and things just go completely off the rails. From the conversation in DD's cottage, apparently, Daring Do is now known to be a definitely real person to a region of Equestria known as Southern Equestria, or at least just the town of Somnambula. It's unclear whether or not this is specific to this region or that only recently word has spread that she's real to all of Equestria. But as an added bonus to this mess, Southern Equestria doesn't sell her books, so no one there knows who A.K. Yearling is or that Daring Do's doings get published. So if Southern Equestria knows who Daring Do is but not A.K. Yearling, and the rest of Equestria knows who A.K. Yearling is but not Daring Do being real, does that mean the two halves don't communicate? No way. Daring Do must be known to be real in non-Southern Equestria at this point. That would seem like a big development, yeah? Probably a big deal that would be addressed in this episode that her character is now known to be real? Unless we're just totally retconning the fair assumption that Daring Do was not known to be real at the time of Stranger Than Fan Fiction and Quibble wasn't in the know...

Huh. I just had a strange feeling of nostalgia. It was calling me back to the days of Daring Do just being some character in a book that Rainbow Dash related to. That's weird.

I don't know, my dudes. I'm the number one Daring Do fan — I just bought the Berrow books and they're actually pretty solid so far — but this episode was a dumpster fire. The coolest thing from it was that scene when Rainbow and Pinkie were heading to the inn...

FrrAKWT.png

...looks pretty good. And the Sphinx...

T6E5fYd.jpg

In fact, I think it's one of the best monster designs in the series. It combines the beautiful look of the ponies with something a little more cat-like and a little more frightening.

I can't think of much else that I liked about the episode. Pinkie in the opening scenes was funny. Oh, and a really nice touch was Rainbow Dash's pupils got small when they took off her blindfold. I would never think to add something like that in.

jnYCNLK.jpg

6eWtLkj.jpg

I am the fan that they were making fun of in Stranger Than Fan Fiction, but I don't care. Make Daring Do great again.

cX8vLR5.jpg

(I'll admit I waited a bit to post this because I didn't want to do all that work to be stuck at the bottom of the previous page :p)

Was Chrysalis seriously going to overlook Starlight Glimmer AGAIN until Pinkie Pie pointed it out?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

My guess is that Chrysalis has some plan that involves messing with the Mane 6 in order to screw with Starlight. Like maybe she impersonates them and makes Starlight think that all her friends hate her or something. Literally the last thing that Chrysalis has done is swear that she'll get revenge on Starlight so it would be extremely stupid if she says that and then proceeds to get revenge on the people that didn't have any role in her getting defeated and ignore the person that did. Of course this might just be wishful thinking but that's what I think/hope is what is going to end up happening

@trig I'll look at that in a bit

UberTag

My guess is that Chrysalis has some plan that involves messing with the Mane 6 in order to screw with Starlight. Like maybe she impersonates them and makes Starlight think that all her friends hate her or something. Literally the last thing that Chrysalis has done is swear that she'll get revenge on Starlight so it would be extremely stupid if she says that and then proceeds to get revenge on the people that didn't have any role in her getting defeated and ignore the person that did. Of course this might just be wishful thinking but that's what I think/hope is what is going to end up happening
If Chrysalis REALLY wanted to mess up Starlight, she'd impersonate Trixie, Maud, Sunburst, Sunset or the ponies from her old village that she still has a complex about fucking over. She barely interacts with the Mane Six outside of Twilight, so it'll be a stretch if they want to sell us on the idea of Starlight being upset that they're giving her the cold shoulder.

Woah, didn't expect someone besides Shiny or me to make a big old episode post.

As for things from the HasCon panels,
* Of course, gotta talk about Chrysalis first. I'm a bit disappointed that we're apparently getting a two-part season premiere again, since I thought two slice of life stories to start out really worked well this season. I thought the sequence of her taking pictures of them (and Rainbow's butt) and taking everyone's hair was fun. It'll be interesting to see what her plan is. Hopefully it isn't just a Starlight Saves the Day story.
* So the movie is influencing next season! We're getting a new seapony character, Silver Stream. Though aren't all the seaponies actually hippogriffs? Maybe this is a real seapony.
* Nothing too revealing about how good "It Isn't the Mane Thing About You" will be. Though Pinkie is popping up all over the place this part of the season, isn't she?
* Really surprised "Marks and Recreations" has a song instead of the finale, and that it's from Rumble, most notable for a having a speaking role in "Hurricane Fluttershy" and in the past being heavily shipped with the CMC as one of the few notable colts introduced at that time. Weird that he's playing an antagonistic role. Though from the sounds of things, maybe he's throwing back in their faces the CMC's speech from the end of "Call of the Cutie" where they talked about how it's better not to have a mark due to all the possibilities.

Daring Done?
I didn't find this episode aggravating, just boring and disjointed.

If you remove the Somnambula and Caballeron stuff, then you're left with a really straightforward story of Daring being legitimately blamed for causing trouble in town, then her realizing she should continue doing what she's doing but actually pay for the damage. There, done. But then it turns out it's all an evil plot, and we had to learn a history lesson for some reason, and they have to solve a death trap.

As soon as Rainbow confronted him, Caballeron revealed himself. Then, he kidnapped her so Daring wouldn't know his plan... right in front of Daring and Pinkie so they found out right away. I didn't have a huge problem with Rainbow not fighting back against the henchmen, since it was just a quick scene.

The air jets in the pyramid were weird. It would have made sense if someone mentioned that another version of Somnambula's legend had her cross the gap without the bridge, but ponies found that weird even for a legend, so that lost favor. As is, it's a repeat of the climax of "Feeling Pinkie Keen" where all they can do is have faith and jump; there, Twilight was saved by swamp gas. Come to think of it, this scene would have been improved by use of Pinkie Sense to provide some reason for them jumping.

The legend was alright, but yeah, not integrated well into the episode at all. That old pony decides to tell the whole thing to Rainbow instead of getting angry, then Rainbow says the legend was cool, then goes, "Which reminds me, Daring Do is pretty cool too!" As for the legend itself, it was a bit disappointing that Somnambula's wackiness is an invention of the comic, but I still liked her here. A small bit that stuck out to me was how she realized the sphinx was upset that she answered its riddle so easily and thus might go back on its deal, so she suggested an additional challenge. The challenge to walk straight seems really easy; maybe have the slime's fumes be disorienting.

Overall, really weak episode, but "Honest Apple" annoyed me more. However, that episode had more entertaining bits, so I suppose I'd rank this below that.

haven't watched anything in a few weeks (months)

it looks like the season isn't gonna be done by the time the movie comes out though, so it'll probably be a few more weeks (months) before i catch up lol

gonna try to see the movie opening weekend

Yeah, the movie will premiere the week after episode 21, "Marks and Recreations", and I imagine the show will take a break on October 7 to allow people to focus on the movie. Given that, the plan is to create a separate thread for the movie; the current thread title was based on the assumption that the movie would come after the season ended.

i'm hoping the middle of the day, first showing will be relatively empty

Early bird special for me.

If Chrysalis REALLY wanted to mess up Starlight, she'd impersonate Trixie, Maud, Sunburst, Sunset or the ponies from her old village that she still has a complex about fucking over. She barely interacts with the Mane Six outside of Twilight, so it'll be a stretch if they want to sell us on the idea of Starlight being upset that they're giving her the cold shoulder.

Yeah, probably.
I think there's still some off-screen interactions that Starlight has had with the rest of the Mane 6 to the point where I think that using them to get to her still makes sense, and aside from Trixie none of the other characters were part of the squad she used to stop Chrysalis so you could say that she doesn't know about them. Again this is just a small clip that could go in a ton of different ways so it's kinda early to really say whether Chrysalis' plan makes sense or not until we actually see how everything plays out.

Season 8, Hascon panels, and Movie

I figured that Season 8 would play off the movie. It's adding a ton of stuff to the show's world like all the new characters and races as well as the new locations like Kludgetown. It'll be weird seeing any of the stuff introduced in the movie with the show's animation. For what it's worth, the animatic looks like it's in the show's style so at the very least Season 8 will still be in Flash not that I expected it to be otherwise. I'm interested to see if they're actually going to have some of the celebrity VA characters from the movie in the show as well. They usually have one or two guest VAs in a season so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The CMC episode just doesn't sound very promising to me. We'll see how it turns out but the premise sounds iffy. IDK we'll have to see I guess.

As for the movie I plan on seeing it with my older sister if it reviews well by people that don't follow the series. She doesn't watch it but she loves cartoons so it might be up her alley but I wanted to make sure it has a positive response from non-fans. If I do it would probably be in the evening after she's off work

Only because it's Daring Do, lol. I've been writing overly-long and cringy rants about this chick since 2012.

Holy shit, that was almost five years ago. I was still a little tyke in high school.

Dude, five years ago, I was just starting community college and was only casually following this show. Now I'm five months away from turning a quarter-century old, freshly graduated from college with a Bachelor's Degree in Film Studies and I'm here on an Internet forum talking with you guys about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Orson Welles had made Citizen Kane by the time he was 25.

~

In all seriousness though, holy crap does time fly by. And it's impressive that the show still seems to be going strong for next year or two at least.

Well, "Daring Done" had such an awful plot going in that it wasn't ever going to turn out good. That was some bad writing.

"She had to have faith and cross a bridge blindfolded DUN DUN DUN"

Fuck off.

The whole AK Yearling being an actual adventurer was such a shit plot twist that I basically hate every episode she's in save the one with Patton in it. But he's Patton so he makes everything awesome.

Ogodei

Yeah, Daring Done is a real low point for the series. I think it's actually a good concept but marred by terrible execution and some of the laziest writing the show has ever rolled with. A lot of episodes that the fandom dislikes were... competent in their plotting, even if the plot was a bad one (like "Cart before the ponies" or "Forever Filly"). This was just sloppy most of the way across.

UberTag

I'm interested to see if they're actually going to have some of the celebrity VA characters from the movie in the show as well. They usually have one or two guest VAs in a season so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
I think it overwhelmingly depends on how expensive they would be to bring back if they've got an idea with one of their characters they really want to explore. Scheduling moreso than expense would also play a role.

31 years ago when the Transformers Movie came out and changed that franchise's canon, Hasbro kept a lot of these newly-introduced celebrity-voiced characters around but recast them for the show with established VAs that would be less expensive. They could wind up doing the same thing here... or perhaps not.

I think they could get Liev back for the show if they called him. He's been pretty enthusiastic about promoting the film.

I think it overwhelmingly depends on how expensive they would be to bring back if they've got an idea with one of their characters they really want to explore. Scheduling moreso than expense would also play a role.

31 years ago when the Transformers Movie came out and changed that franchise's canon, Hasbro kept a lot of these newly-introduced celebrity-voiced characters around but recast them for the show with established VAs that would be less expensive. They could wind up doing the same thing here... or perhaps not.

I think they could get Liev back for the show if they called him. He's been pretty enthusiastic about promoting the film.

I doubt that the movie would radically change up the show to the point where any of the characters from the movie would need to appear more then once or twice a season. I'm not too familiar with the Transformers movie but if they added in new main characters that had celeb voice actors then they wouldn't really have a choice to do anything but that. What Hasbro did back then I don't feel is that relevant though because it happened over 3 decades ago and anyone that would have been responsible for any of those decisions would have been long gone. Aside from some background ponies MLP has never changed any of the VAs for their characters and due to the show's creators relationship with the fans I feel like if they can't get the OG voice actor for the character then they probably just wouldn't bring them back in general. A lot of the actors that they got for the movie have done live-action TV before and Kristin Chenoweth does a TON of animated stuff too. Not saying it's guaranteed but they did talk about wanting the movie to integrate with the show and having its characters show up from time to time would be a good way to do it.

Also there's one aspect of your post that is unintentionally really funny to me. That's all I'm going to say.

There's a mobile phone recording of the Season 7 stuff mentioned earlier. It's decently long and features a full song. You can find it here. If Sigma doesn't do it later I'll do a full recap of today's Hascon stuff later. Also I'll do episode response stuff later too.

Watching the season 7 HasCon clips,
jeez Zecora, way not to give a crap if ponies mix up your potions. Anyway, the episode looks pretty funny, though it's hard to say if we're getting a great Rarity episode. Rumble's song is pretty good, and it seems like the episode's conflict could be interesting, since he does seem to mean well.

About the Real Daring Dilemma, I hadn't thought about how Rainbow and Daring had a much stronger connection before they actually met. I previously viewed making her real merely as a way to open up story space that wasn't actually necessary, but now that I think about it, it actually closes story space. Every time we see Daring now, it's always in the context of Rainbow meeting up with her and Daring having a problem that she needs help with. We can't have an episode like "Read It and Weep" again where an unrelated Daring Do story is used to parallel the current story, because they feel obligated to have her actually interact with the characters. We could have had other characters go through that sort of story instead of just Rainbow; Twilight is supposed to be a huge fan too!

Back in 2012, I had graduated from college and was looking for a job. It seems like at 27, I'm actually the Old Fogey of this thread. Still, you better believe I was writing embarrassingly long Pony posts back then too.

Concerning movie voice actors appearing in season 8, the fact that the panel revealed
that they're specifically introducing a new seapony instead of Skystar or Novo makes me think we won't see any movie characters
. But in the end, it really does all come down to cost and enthusiasm.

About the Transformers the Movie voice actors not carrying over, Megatron was upgraded to Galvatron and was voiced by Leonard Nimoy. In the show, he remained Galvatron, but lost Nimoy. Orson Welles voiced Unicron (in his last ever role), and of course they didn't use him for later Unicron scenes.

As for other HasCon news, have some INTENSE ANIME FIGHTING.
20170909_163505.jpg

Two HasCon attendees won OC background pony slots in the show in a raffle. The OC is based on a sheet where you fill out your favorite color, special talents, etc. so you don't get to specify that your OC is half alicorn half dragon with black fur black mane blue tail and both a Mangekyo Sharingan and Rinnegan. From the comments, at least one of the winners was a little kid.

Oh man, if we're having an old off: Back in 2012 I was a year out of college, working a shitty job, and trying to work on a relationship with an ex girlfriend that I liked but not in that way. Life was fucking messy.

MLP helped by being a nice outlet away from bullshit.

Crazy that I'm still watching/enjoying chats about the episodes. But then, maybe not.

Hey Sigma looks like they got a picture for you (Rarity's expression looks weird)

283868.jpg

In 2012 I was at my first year of college and playing a bunch of TF2 while trying to study Computer Science. (The MLP TF2 stereotypes are real) Now I'm still not really sure what I want to do. So my life hasn't really changed that much. I didn't post anywhere back then but I've always gone on long analytical breakdowns to anyone that would listen to them on stuff I was interested in so I guess that hasn't changed either.

draetenth

So, even with lowered expectations for Daring Done thanks to reading the reactions to it being leaked, it still was a pretty meh episode. Trigonometrize pretty much covered my issues with the episode...

https://i.imgur.com/L6lh3Td.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

A+

I really wonder the logic behind what stills they choose to release.

[IMG]https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IvSTzgqlAMo/WbR2HZCUEfI/AAAAAAAB-gQ/g1KkG8GxbispZPCBjGTG7AkMJxxY3y_EgCLcBGAs/s400/283867.jpg

Epic hero lineup, makes sense!

SPOILER - The hero and villain face to face, makes sense! Plus, there are neat lighting effects.

And then we have two ponies singing while lovingly looking in each other's eyes.

ED source, includes the SPOILER image

By the way, biggest disappointment of the movie art style is that it seems like they clamped down on random flirty looks. Think of how a scene comparable to that Rarity/Twilight picture would have looked in the show art style. That's one of the most important parts!

EDIT: HasCon dinner menu
medium.jpeg

Official pony alcoholic drinks! And meat eating!

Fat4all

Banned
i came up with a whole lot of pony themed drinks a while ago, maybe around 2013

but i got drunk and forgot what they were

ill have to give it another go sometime

Ogodei

Watching the season 7 HasCon clips,
jeez Zecora, way not to give a crap if ponies mix up your potions. Anyway, the episode looks pretty funny, though it's hard to say if we're getting a great Rarity episode. Rumble's song is pretty good, and it seems like the episode's conflict could be interesting, since he does seem to mean well.

About the Real Daring Dilemma, I hadn't thought about how Rainbow and Daring had a much stronger connection before they actually met. I previously viewed making her real merely as a way to open up story space that wasn't actually necessary, but now that I think about it, it actually closes story space. Every time we see Daring now, it's always in the context of Rainbow meeting up with her and Daring having a problem that she needs help with. We can't have an episode like "Read It and Weep" again where an unrelated Daring Do story is used to parallel the current story, because they feel obligated to have her actually interact with the characters. We could have had other characters go through that sort of story instead of just Rainbow; Twilight is supposed to be a huge fan too!

Back in 2012, I had graduated from college and was looking for a job. It seems like at 27, I'm actually the Old Fogey of this thread. Still, you better believe I was writing embarrassingly long Pony posts back then too.

Concerning movie voice actors appearing in season 8, the fact that the panel revealed
that they're specifically introducing a new seapony instead of Skystar or Novo makes me think we won't see any movie characters
. But in the end, it really does all come down to cost and enthusiasm.

About the Transformers the Movie voice actors not carrying over, Megatron was upgraded to Galvatron and was voiced by Leonard Nimoy. In the show, he remained Galvatron, but lost Nimoy. Orson Welles voiced Unicron (in his last ever role), and of course they didn't use him for later Unicron scenes.

As for other HasCon news, have some INTENSE ANIME FIGHTING.
20170909_163505.jpg

Two HasCon attendees won OC background pony slots in the show in a raffle. The OC is based on a sheet where you fill out your favorite color, special talents, etc. so you don't get to specify that your OC is half alicorn half dragon with black fur black mane blue tail and both a Mangekyo Sharingan and Rinnegan. From the comments, at least one of the winners was a little kid.

Heh, i just turned 28, so i've got you beat there.

Season 7 pictures from an upcoming commercial, including bits from "It's Not the Mane Thing About You", "A Health of Information", "Once Upon a Zeppelin", and perhaps "Secrets and Pies".
"A Health of Information" looks potentially crazy, with Fluttershy donning Meadowbrook's mask that we've seen in comic previews and casting magic, and my guess from the tie in comic was right, it does seem to involve Twilight. "Once Upon a Zeppelin" seems to be bringing back the imagery of "Fame and Misfortune", even if it doesn't reference its events. ED suggests the part with Rainbow in her Wonderbolts uniform could be from "Once Upon a Zeppelin" or "Uncommon Bond", but "Secrets and Pies" makes more sense to me.

Upcoming IDW comic information
* We have a 2017 Holiday Special coming!
* An upcoming main series multi-parter starting from #61 involves a meeting of leaders of every sentient race we've seen so far, including cats from the Movie, deer from the comics, and the breezies. The stuff about the ponies possibly losing ownership of Canterlot sounds bad, though, and similar to previous comic stories.

"Daring Done?" followup.

NOTES
So, that parasprite infestation in Fillydelphia from "Swarm of the Century" took six seasons to fix, huh?

One notable thing about this episode is how Pinkie of all characters was the voice of reason, having learned from "A Friend in Deed" about giving people their distance. It's an interesting way to use her, but it ultimately doesn't seem to actually influence anyone's actions.

There was a character named Somnambula in G1... but I really don't think there's a connection.
medium.png

Somnambula is related to somnambulist, a term for sleepwalking, which here I suppose refers to her walking blindfolded.

SCREENCAPS
Edit - Lemme smash - Based on a joke from ED's followup
Map
Daring Do wanted poster
Somnambula the town with background ponies
Green and blue background pony
More ponies - Including Sailor Jupiter and Zoro?
Alternate art style 1
Alternate art style 2
Alternate art style 3
Out of context - Prince Hisan kissing Somnambula
Seriously, look at this (embedded)
Somnambula statue - Somnambula is wearing her glowplaz necklace that she got after the sphinx thing, but she's blindfolded, which happened during it. A typical collection of traits affiliated with a legendary figure brought together, or a sign she kept on putting on the blindfold due to discovering certain interests?
Dr. Caballeron's wanted poster

medium.png

GIFS
Rainbow reacting to Pinkie's reading
Rainbow shaking AK Yearling (embedded)
Rainbow push ups / mating ritual (embedded) - Also, the Derpibooru comments linked this great Mating Dance comic by Ravenpuff from 2014.
Pinkie digging through a treasure chest like a cat
Pinkie picture comparison
Impatient Rainbow
Sphinx's entrance
Sphinx rage quit
Pinkie's sudden tiredness
Tied up Rainbow panicking
Eyes dilating in GIF form
Pinkie and Rainbow hug - Note how Pinkie is touching Rainbow's butt.
Rainbow double loop (embedded)

thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

FAN CONTENT
Somnambula by dsp2003 - Made day three.
Hero of Egypt by Asika-Aida - Made day three.
MLPFiMSomnambulabydsp20031504651222866.png
HeroofEgyptbyAsikaAida1504651223302.png

Sphinx and Somnambula by raikoh - Made day three.
Do you want the Sphinx Riddle by DiscordTheGE - Made day four.
Somnambula by Joakaha - Made day four.
bykartoonkorner1504727955635.jpg
DoyouwanttheSphinxRiddlebyDiscordTheGE1504727948906.png
MLPFIMSomnambulabyJoakaha1504835278447.jpg

Sphinx by Taneysha - Made day five.
SphinxbyTaneysha1504835277291.png

The Sphinx by Flourret - Made on US airing day.
Desert Angel by CloudDG - Made on US airing day.
Somnambulas by AssasinMonkey - Made on US airing day. I think he went way too shiny this time.
TheSphinxbyFlourret1505001299647.png
DesertAngelbyCloudDG1505001301011.png
SomnambulasbyAssasinMonkey1505079876274.png

Somnambula by HankOfficer - Made today. The text refers to her comic portrayal.
Somnambula as Menat from Street Fighter by raikoh - Made today.
SomnambulabyHankOfficer1505079875278.png
thumb.jpeg

Riddle of the Sphinx by JonFawkes - Made today. Honestly surprised Somnambula's humanizations haven't kept the see-through clothes thing. Wait, hold on... yeah, that applies even with the Everything filter.
Hope by The-Sacred-Rose - Made today.
Sphinx by yakut-pony - Made one day ago? Also has a Pharynx, below.
small.jpeg
small.png
byyakutpony1505079896602.png

Pointy Ponies by agrol - Made today.
tumblr_ow2qg45BBa1rdvbiao1_250.gif

To Change a Changeling
Bit of a build up due to Derpibooru being down on Friday. Because of this, I'll hold off on non-Drawfriend art for other episodes today.

Pharynx by yakut-pony - Also has a sphinx, above.
The Sentinel by LupusArtwork
Pharynx by imalou
byyakutpony1505079893963.png
small.png
small.jpeg

Thorax and Pharynx by chub-wub
Pharynx by holoriot
Pharynx new form by sweetkllrvane
small.jpeg
thumb.png
thumb.png

Pharynx by justasuta
Thorax and Pharynx by jeshh
Hug by rossmaniteanzu
thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.jpeg

Pointy Ponies by agrol
Prince Pharynx flying by botchan-mlp
tumblr_ovprw0nvO11rdvbiao1_250.gif
full.gif

Campfire Tales
Mistmane by MomoMistress
Rockhoof by SentireAeris
MistmanebyMomoMistress1505001299506.png
RockhoofbySentireAeris1505079875369.png

Pointy Ponies by agrol
tumblr_ovcsrir4s01rdvbiao1_250.gif

Other
EQG - Ready for the Beach! by dennyvixen - Based on the upcoming beach themed Minis toy.
The Perfect Pear - Pear Butter by MomoMistress
ReadyfortheBeachbydennyvixen1505001300015.png
PearButterbyMomoMistress1505079876567.png

Comics
Alternate Solution by dsp2003 - Made day six. Somnambula defeats the sphinx a different way.
Reasons by bobthedalek (embedded) - Made on US airing day.
large.jpeg

To Change a Changeling - Sidekicks time by saturdaymorningproj - Trixie joins the dark side.
TCaC - Assertive Declaration by bobthedalek - Aftermath of Starlight and Trixie's shenanigans.

Haha, that's great!

Opal's already moved on, though
thumb.gif

Movie soundtrack song listing, which appears to reveal that
there are only six songs in the movie, which I guess is probably the right number, but it's kind of weird how that's roughly how many you'd expect from a musical episode. But I suppose this is trying to be a movie that has songs, not a full blown musical. Anyway, Tempest gets a song, which is a bit of a surprise. What's weird is that apparently Twilight doesn't get any songs after the first, not even joining in on any group songs; I guess this is meant to reflect her negative mood for much of the film. The rest of the soundtrack is tie-in songs that are credits songs at most.

Interview with Meghan McCarthy about the movie.
* Production started between seasons 4 and 5, which maybe accounts for the huge gap between them.
* They had to adjust the story to match developments in the show, including incorporating Starlight and Trixie, and making sure the CMC had cutie marks.
* She claims she didn't really do much writing; it was more Mike Vogel and Rita Hsiao.
* Things constantly changed in the script, unlike with the show, which settled the script past a certain point. Then things changed even more in storyboards, and when voiced.
* They did film behind the scenes footage, some of which they showed at HasCon, but she has no clue if that will be made into a bonus feature or not.
* For the guest star characters, they wrote them with those actors in mind before casting, and were able to get everyone they wanted as a first choice.
* Michael Peña ad-libbed a ton of his lines. There's hours of unused lines from him.

On an unrelated note, SEASON 8 SPOILER comic that explains everything.

Not a huge fan of the way the trailer was edited, but holy crap, the animation looks amazing! I didn't notice any of the weird shading, and the lighting and effects are great! The ship still looks rough, but I think it looks better than before. Maybe? We get a bit of one movie song, and then an unfitting "We Got the Beat". Rarity has some fun moments, though they're definitely struggling with how FiM isn't that conducive to "trailer humor".

I'll bump the trailer thread later.

Haha, that's great!

Movie soundtrack song listing, which appears to reveal that
there are only six songs in the movie, which I guess is probably the right number, but it's kind of weird how that's roughly how many you'd expect from a musical episode. But I suppose this is trying to be a movie that has songs, not a full blown musical. Anyway, Tempest gets a song, which is a bit of a surprise. What's weird is that apparently Twilight doesn't get any songs after the first, not even joining in on any group songs; I guess this is meant to reflect her negative mood for much of the film. The rest of the soundtrack is tie-in songs that are credits songs at most.

That number seems reasonable.
All of the major new characters besides the Storm King all get their own song as well as a Mane 6 one that introduces all of them. Anything more would probably require them to cram them in situations where it wouldn't feel natural. Also in the scene from the trailer that dropped today you can see Twilight freaking out even after they successfully land on their getaway ship. For that scene I could imagine why she might be too worried about the mission to sing along. And we already know that she's going to be entirely absent from the Seapony song. I do think there's a real possibility that Twilight might end up being too useless because pretty much all of the major problems that they face on her adventure are solved by everyone besides her but we'll have to see.

The new trailer looks like it still has some shading issues? It felt pretty dark in places compared to all of the other screenshots we've seen so far.
That one with Twilight and Tempest looks SO good btw
. The animation looks stellar so even if the rest of the movie is hot garbage it will at least be pretty to look at. (I don't think it will be but I'm just saying that even if the movie's a disappointment it will still have that going for it) Like the last one I don't think the trailer sells the movie that well. I feel like it's a bit more focused on showing off cool stuff which I guess works to show that it isn't just going to be pink ponies standing around making friendship bracelets or whatever like the average person that doesn't know anything about the show might think it is. But MLP has never really been about big set pieces with a couple of exceptions. It's more focused on character interactions which will likely be a major focal point of the movie but are almost entirely absent here. I think it's pretty telling that by far the best moment in both trailers for most people seems to be when Rarity is just being Rarity. Speaking of which:

1533693.gif

Tried that MLP pony maker and tried to remake Blue Ace, but no such luck. No stallions, your coat can't be white, I can't choose the dark blue I want, and of course, you get a name based on 4 multiple choice questions (Paradise Swirl). At least there's two different astronomy cutie marks.

Damn those are some big-ass eyes. How do they even fit into their skulls?

My dad has been asking that since I was watching anime in the '90s.

Rarity fans have impeccable taste. It is known to be true. Even Equestria Daily agrees.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-y47cOj94Lys/WbYM3RIB35I/AAAAAAAC2_c/nRVP8278yOIseHdAp2a9TWbIvZqpuyRlQCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/rarityplaceholder%2B%25282%2529.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Let it be noted that for Rarity Day yesterday, instead of just linking to last year's art collection, they were able to make a post just of [URL="http://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/09/drawfriend-stuff-best-of-rarity-2017.html"]Best of 2017 art[/URL], which I don't recall happening for previous character days this year.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en6Tur0qjI8"]Trailer 2 YouTube link[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/mylittlepony/videos/1899688730048555/"]Live chat with Twilight and Pinkie[/URL], really starts a bit before 5 minutes in. They got Tara Strong and Andrea Libman, so it's pretty fun. Animation is wonky, but that's not a shock. Tara slips out of her Twilight voice a lot, but Andrea sticks to Pinkie's voice pretty well, plus a bonus Fluttershy.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBH7vwhsGBM"]"Rainbow" by Sia clip from that live chat[/URL], and it's surprisingly downbeat for something everyone will presumably dance to at the end of the movie.

And [URL="http://create.mylittlepony.movie/"]here's the pony creator Rhomega Beta mentioned[/URL].

I forgot to mention about the trailer, it's great that the actual main VAs got credited.

Oh, and trailer GIFs
[URL="https://derpibooru.org/1533735"]IT STARTS - Pie in the Sky[/URL]
[URL="https://derpibooru.org/1533733"]Storm King dodging lightning[/URL]
[URL="https://derpibooru.org/1533724"]DrForester's favorite GIF[/URL]
[URL="https://derpibooru.org/1533716"]Hero poses with lightning strike[/URL] (embedded) - Fluttershy, get with the program! Put your battle face on!
[URL="https://derpibooru.org/1533736"]Spike and bird (Murdock) drumming[/URL]
[URL="https://derpibooru.org/1534018"]Murdock drumming alone[/URL]
[URL="https://derpibooru.org/1533739"]More high-grade Rarity[/URL] (embedded)
[URL="https://derpibooru.org/1533785"]Overhead table drumming[/URL]
[URL="https://derpibooru.org/1534116"]Skystar dancing[/URL] (embedded)

[IMG]https://derpicdn.net/img/2017/9/12/1533716/small.gif
small.gif
thumb.gif

Let it be noted that for Rarity Day yesterday, instead of just linking to last year's art collection, they were able to make a post just of Best of 2017 art, which I don't recall happening for previous character days this year.

For what it's worth the day they did for Starlight was largely recent stuff too mainly out of necessity since she's only existed for a couple years. Also Starlight day pretty much took over the MLP reddit for the day and for almost all of the other characters there's only like one or two posts about it all day long. Rarity was definitely second highest in submissions on the sub for her day, although it's worth mentioning that Starlight and Rarity are VERY popular there.

The comic that dropped today feels weird? Like there's not much stakes and it feels like we were missing half the story because it's a sequel to the episode that's coming out a couple weekends from now. There was this larger sized pony that was just there and I had no clue who they were so I can only assume they were from the upcoming episode. Other then that it was kinda boring to me.

EDIT: There's a graphic novel retelling of the movie that's releasing and a preview for it just went up. If you've already read the abridged transcription I wrote for the Junior novel nothing is new aside from that we get to see a fan favorite character that hasn't appeared in any of the promotional material yet... as a balloon sculpture. You can find my cropping of that here and the EQD posting for it here. Just a personal note I won't be checking out the graphic novel until after I've seen the movie since I imagine it will show off a lot of the movie's punch lines for jokes and I'd rather see them first in the movie.

Friendship is Magic #58
For the past few issues, there's been a clear pattern of it coming out the week after the episode it's meant to tie into. It's weird that they suddenly broke out of that with this, especially given how much focus it places on a character apparently introduced in "A Health of Information". While the others would have been easy enough to follow without watching the respective episode, this issue is definitely missing a lot of context without it.

I know that the comics established that there are a bunch of dragons in Fillydelphia, but I thought that was a weird direction then, and it's even weirder now. Especially since I don't think the comics will have any interaction between them and the dragons led by Ember.

So, the synopsis promised a story about Twilight becoming obsessed and treating the flower like a white whale. In the comic, they quickly find the flower and Twilight gets excited and tries to fly to it, only to be blasted back by pollen and salt. Then she gets excited on the ledge above it and the ground breaks under her. Both are completely natural things to happen that don't really demonstrate flaws, yet they make a huge deal out of this, with Zecora giving dire warnings about her obsession and Twilight being really apologetic after. Also, why didn't Twilight just use magic? Then, they successfully get the flower, and we don't actually see if it's all it's hyped up to be or not.

I agree with Shiny, this was definitely a weird issue with oddly low stakes. All I can say is that there were some cute panels, what it hinted about "A Health of Information" was interesting (particularly Twilight mentioning earth pony magic), and I liked the design of the surprisingly unnamed descendant of Aqua Vine. Seriously, how did she not get a name?

EDIT: There's a graphic novel retelling of the movie that's releasing and a preview for it just went up. If you've already read the abridged transcription I wrote for the Junior novel nothing is new aside from that we get to see a fan favorite character that hasn't appeared in any of the promotional material yet... as a balloon sculpture. You can find my cropping of that here and the EQD posting for it here. Just a personal note I won't be checking out the graphic novel until after I've seen the movie since I imagine it will show off a lot of the movie's punch lines for jokes and I'd rather see them first in the movie.

To explain, it's a screenshot comic, meaning it's literally stills from the movie as comic panels. Speaking of which, apparently you can access the first 40 pages of the comic (confirmed by Derpibooru having a much later page), though I've only been able to access what ED posted. I didn't look closely at the pages, but I appreciate the Twilight expression on the first page. The comic is coming out September 26, and I imagine some places will break the street date, so I plan on making a separate spoiler thread for the movie then.

... You know, I just remembered I was planning on watching the original MLP Movie and the second TV special before the movie came out. I better get on with that.

A German theater is having an October 1 "Brony Preview" in German, then on October 4 in English. I expect we'll have showings before that announced elsewhere too.

Will freely admit I don't know how reliable this site is for predictions, but the MLP movie has popped up on their long range forecasts.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-thor-ragnarok-bad-moms-christmas/

They're predicting 7.5m opening weekend and 21.5m total domestic.
Seems reasonable enough. There are fans who would be embarrassed to see it in public, boys who don't want to watch girl movies, the occasional parent who fears bronies, and people who think theatrical 2D movies are below them. Plus, advertising has been pretty light. Like I said from the start, I imagine Hasbro is banking on the home release, a potential Netflix deal, and increases in merchandise sales more than anything.

Kids movie competition appears to just be Lego Ninjago on September 22, though, and nothing else for a while after. I have to imagine that will make things better for MLP.

Will freely admit I don't know how reliable this site is for predictions, but the MLP movie has popped up on their long range forecasts.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-thor-ragnarok-bad-moms-christmas/

They're predicting 7.5m opening weekend and 21.5m total domestic.

21.5 seems like a REALLY low prediction, which means that they seem to think the movie is going to bomb. They haven't released the budget for the movie yet but I'll go ahead and list some other animated movie budgets so you can get an idea as to the ballpark it might cost:

Cars 3: 175M
Boss baby: 125M
Despicable Me 3: 80M
Lego Batman Movie: 80M
Smurfs: 60M
Emoji Movie: 50M
The Nutjob 2: 40M
Captain Underpants: 38M

Now one thing that MLP has going for it that will keep its costs down is that it's largely using B and C list celebrities rather then the A listers that are usually signed on for most of those animated movies. But realistically I feel like it's still probably going to cost somewhere around 30-40M and you usually need double that to turn a profit due to the theaters taking a cut and marketing costs. (And the movie's marketing has been not insignificant) Some Domestic BO results for movies that I think are similar in scope to the MLP movie:

Trolls: 153.7M
Smurfs: 45M
Captain Underpants: 73.7M
The Nutjob 2: 27.4M (Still in theaters)

Aside from Nutjob 2 all of those are animated movies that at least partially cater to childhood nostalgia by bringing back those brands. And none of them are based off an already-established TV show with an audience.

I can't guess how well the movie is going to do but 21.5 indicates that the people making the prediction seem to think that the movie is barely going to reach an audience past the one that is already watching the show and that it's going to likely be a flop. Now even at those numbers it might not be entirely a financial failure because of all the other ways Hasbro can make money but that would be a massive blow to the franchise. Hasbro has been expanding the MLP brand in the past year in anticipation for the movie to grow the audience for the brand, and I'm sure that they are going to be looking to make MLP into a movie franchise if the movie does well given that they're trying to establish a new production company. The movie doing that poorly would cause them to have to rethink all of their plans for the franchise.

I don't know BO numbers and budgets that well. And I can't say that those predictions are wrong. But if my assumptions are remotely right then I REALLY hope that the prediction is massively off.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. The Sia song for the movie was leaked I guess. EQD had a post up about it earlier but it's been taken down which makes me think it wasn't supposed to be out yet. It sounds like it's probably a credits song which leads me to believe that the soundtrack just has a bunch of licensed songs that they threw onto it to make it longer. I doubt that Off to See the World will end up being in the movie either and is on there because it was a song used in the first trailer. Anyway you can check it out here for now. I'll edit the link if an official source is available.

2nd Edit: I also forgot. Netflix did a series of many of their shows' characters saying happy birthday and MLP was one of the shows. It features Pinkie and Fluttershy (Probably trying to save money on VAs lol) and actually has some decent production values. You can find it here. Also holy crap looking through the recommended videos they have a version for a ton of the languages that the show is broadcasted in.

I don't know BO numbers and budgets that well. And I can't say that those predictions are wrong. But if my assumptions are remotely right then I REALLY hope that the prediction is massively off.
I do think they're underestimating the movie, but in this case, it's better to keep low expectations and keep in mind that Hasbro is almost certainly looking at merchandise and home release sales more than tickets. Hopefully it does well with critics, and gets good word of mouth from non-bronies.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. The Sia song for the movie was leaked I guess. EQD had a post up about it earlier but it's been taken down which makes me think it wasn't supposed to be out yet. It sounds like it's probably a credits song which leads me to believe that the soundtrack just has a bunch of licensed songs that they threw onto it to make it longer. I doubt that Off to See the World will end up being in the movie either and is on there because it was a song used in the first trailer. Anyway you can check it out here for now. I'll edit the link if an official source is available.
It's up for official purchase now. And yeah, definitely sounds more like a credits song than something that would be played during the ending dance number, but we'll see. Maybe they just stand around for this song, and dance to a different one. As a song, it's pretty good.

2nd Edit: I also forgot. Netflix did a series of many of their shows' characters saying happy birthday and MLP was one of the shows. It features Pinkie and Fluttershy (Probably trying to save money on VAs lol) and actually has some decent production values. You can find it here. Also holy crap looking through the recommended videos they have a version for a ton of the languages that the show is broadcasted in.

That was super adorable. People are saying that this was animated by Boulder Media; I guess they're doing all the random side videos like this. Also, of course, a lot of people noticed Pinkie wearing stripey socks.

Here's the Japanese version; back when I posted about ponies on Toon Zone, I actually watched the English subbed Japanese dub and wrote about it. The Japanese dub of the show ended back in season 2, but they kept on dubbing the EQG movies exclusive to Netflix. But since I haven't watched those dubs (no fansubs), it's weird seeing a new clip with the same VAs from those first two seasons. Wait, actually, looking at the YouTube comments, Fluttershy's VA is different, but Pinkie's is the same, and she's still good. I posted a while ago that Netflix Japan had seasons 3-6 listed but with no videos at that point, but I have no clue if they actually did dub those. For the record, they didn't dub any of the EQG songs.

More early showings of the movie are coming, with the San Francisco Chronicle holding a raffle for its members to see the movie on September 30. Though I'm in the area, I have no interest in subscribing, and it's still a decent drive to the theater anyway. I'll watch the movie at the same time as the other plebs. There are also French theaters holding advance screenings on October 1.

I do think they're underestimating the movie, but in this case, it's better to keep low expectations and keep in mind that Hasbro is almost certainly looking at merchandise and home release sales more than tickets. Hopefully it does well with critics, and gets good word of mouth from non-bronies.

Aside from B or C-Tier animated movies that probably 90% of the population doesn't know exist like Rock Dog or western Anime releases it's pretty hard to find an animated movie that do 21.5 Mill domestic. Even Norm of the North did better then that. 21.5 is an extremely low estimate and it's pretty hard to find a movie with the scope of the MLP movie that did that poorly. The person that posted that estimate briefly mentions that he's making a conservative estimate based off Lionsgate's previous animated outings which include the aforementioned Norm of the North and Rock Dog as well as Food Fight so you can understand why the guy is a bit skeptical as to the movie's sales. (Iroincally I was going to compare those movies before even knowing Lionsgate published them) I didn't know anything about MLP and knew that Lionsgate was publishing it I would assume it wouldn't make shit either. The other people I read that thought it might not do well also mentioned that Lionsgate usually abandons their animated movies in terms of marketing and honestly Lionsgate has a long history of box office bombs so again people that are just looking at it from the "it's a Lionsgate animated movie" angle would probably assume it's going to be trash.

I'm with you that most of their money is going to come from DVD sales and merch but 21.5 would indicate a MASSIVE financial flop when you compare it to how well these types of movies usually do.

Was the animation Boulder Media? They've really improved over their work so far. I assumed it was DHX because it looked just as good. Maybe the ponies are just easier to animate? Either way even their EQG stuff has looked a lot better then the early shorts so at least on that level things are looking decent for all the EQG stuff that's getting made.

Aside from B or C-Tier animated movies that probably 90% of the population doesn't know exist like Rock Dog or western Anime releases it's pretty hard to find an animated movie that do 21.5 Mill domestic. Even Norm of the North did better then that. 21.5 is an extremely low estimate and it's pretty hard to find a movie with the scope of the MLP movie that did that poorly. The person that posted that estimate briefly mentions that he's making a conservative estimate based off Lionsgate's previous animated outings which include the aforementioned Norm of the North and Rock Dog as well as Food Fight so you can understand why the guy is a bit skeptical as to the movie's sales. (Iroincally I was going to compare those movies before even knowing Lionsgate published them) I didn't know anything about MLP and knew that Lionsgate was publishing it I would assume it wouldn't make shit either. The other people I read that thought it might not do well also mentioned that Lionsgate usually abandons their animated movies in terms of marketing and honestly Lionsgate has a long history of box office bombs so again people that are just looking at it from the "it's a Lionsgate animated movie" angle would probably assume it's going to be trash.

Oh, the estimates were based on Norm of the North, Rock Dog, and Food Fight? Well then I take everything back, the movie's going to do way better than those. Even if the movie was "Daring Done?" tier, it would be far more appealing to critics, for one thing.

Was the animation Boulder Media? They've really improved over their work so far. I assumed it was DHX because it looked just as good. Maybe the ponies are just easier to animate? Either way even their EQG stuff has looked a lot better then the early shorts so at least on that level things are looking decent for all the EQG stuff that's getting made.

Well, if we're being nitpicky, Apple Bloom is missing her cutie mark, and while it's cute, Fluttershy has a giraffe neck and I swear the back of her head is gone. Still, I agree that it isn't obvious that it's a different studio.

small.png
thumb.gif

And on another note, we officially have as many posts as the season 6 OT! And that's before we even finished the season!
medium.gif

Season 5 OT had 1590 posts, season 4 had 2078, and season 3 had 1747, so we still have a long way to beat them.

Season 2 OT had 4931 posts and season 1 had 19833, but yeah, that's not going to happen.

That's a surprising drop off for Season 3. From my perspective, it wasn't until late Season 3 that the drama started to take flight, and even then, with drama you'd expect lots of discussion. It seems the community, at least the Neogaf one, pretty much settled after Season 2.

Only 13 episodes and all that, I know ;)

Also, only you guys would analyze the gifs and animation of a short promotional video to try and detective the studio that made it, lol.

That's a surprising drop off for Season 3. From my perspective, it wasn't until late Season 3 that the drama started to take flight, and even then, with drama you'd expect lots of discussion. It seems the community, at least the Neogaf one, pretty much settled after Season 2.

Only 13 episodes and all that, I know ;)
I was about to protest, but yeah, even if you double it, it still falls about 500 posts short of season 2. Which is really astonishing given that the season 3 OT covers Princess Twilight AND Equestria Girls, plus the start of the IDW comics. TBF, a lot of discussion of the latter two actually took place in the Community thread, though.

The drop from season 1 to season 2 was humongous, but that's due to season 1 discussion largely being fan art, memes, and facing trolls, and the creation of the Community thread splitting later discussion. Season 2 to a doubled season 3 is about a 500 post drop. Doubled season 3 to season 4 is a much bigger drop, at about 1400, which probably is due to people giving up because of the drama and the show being ruined. And then until now, every OT after has been dropping by about 500 posts consistently.

Also, only you guys would analyze the gifs and animation of a short promotional video to try and detective the studio that made it, lol.
I aim to please.

EDIT: The movie is getting pretty close, so you know what we have to do: make bingo cards. Since we already know the story from, well, so many things, focus on things like gags, character interactions, and cameos.

Ogodei

21.5 seems like a REALLY low prediction, which means that they seem to think the movie is going to bomb. They haven't released the budget for the movie yet but I'll go ahead and list some other animated movie budgets so you can get an idea as to the ballpark it might cost:

Cars 3: 175M
Boss baby: 125M
Despicable Me 3: 80M
Lego Batman Movie: 80M
Smurfs: 60M
Emoji Movie: 50M
The Nutjob 2: 40M
Captain Underpants: 38M

Now one thing that MLP has going for it that will keep its costs down is that it's largely using B and C list celebrities rather then the A listers that are usually signed on for most of those animated movies. But realistically I feel like it's still probably going to cost somewhere around 30-40M and you usually need double that to turn a profit due to the theaters taking a cut and marketing costs. (And the movie's marketing has been not insignificant) Some Domestic BO results for movies that I think are similar in scope to the MLP movie:

Trolls: 153.7M
Smurfs: 45M
Captain Underpants: 73.7M
The Nutjob 2: 27.4M (Still in theaters)

Aside from Nutjob 2 all of those are animated movies that at least partially cater to childhood nostalgia by bringing back those brands. And none of them are based off an already-established TV show with an audience.

I can't guess how well the movie is going to do but 21.5 indicates that the people making the prediction seem to think that the movie is barely going to reach an audience past the one that is already watching the show and that it's going to likely be a flop. Now even at those numbers it might not be entirely a financial failure because of all the other ways Hasbro can make money but that would be a massive blow to the franchise. Hasbro has been expanding the MLP brand in the past year in anticipation for the movie to grow the audience for the brand, and I'm sure that they are going to be looking to make MLP into a movie franchise if the movie does well given that they're trying to establish a new production company. The movie doing that poorly would cause them to have to rethink all of their plans for the franchise.

I do feel like it's getting shockingly low ad exposure. I watch daytime cartoon network most days, so i get a dose of what's being pitched to this movie's target audience. I feel like we're in the range where we should start getting bombarded with MLP Movie commercials if Hasbro has any confidence in the movie performing well. I saw a lot of ads for stuff like Captain Underpants or Nut Job 2.

And on another note, we officially have as many posts as the season 6 OT! And that's before we even finished the season!

Season 5 OT had 1590 posts, season 4 had 2078, and season 3 had 1747, so we still have a long way to beat them.

Season 2 OT had 4931 posts and season 1 had 19833, but yeah, that's not going to happen.

Season 2 had a couple of people that made a ridiculous amount of posts and aside from DrForester and Slam all of them left by the next thread. If there's less people making shitloads of posts there's less things for people to respond to. Also my guess as to why there's an uptick of posts for this thread:

1. This season has overall had more interesting episodes then season 6. Stuff like Royal Problem and Parental Glideance caused a ton of posts discussing them.

2. There's a ton of movie news. A huge chunk of our discussion has been about that and there wasn't any real equivalent back in season 6.

3. I didn't really post in Season 6 until the very end and probably at least a 5th of this thread has probably been me and Sigma talking back and forth. As I said before in the case of season 2 having an active person means that there's more things for other people to respond to which causes them to be more active as well.

I actually didn't pay that much attention to the animation, I was too busy analyzing the box office results of animated movies in the past 2 years to see if there was any validity to some random box office estimate that was posted online lol

I do feel like it's getting shockingly low ad exposure. I watch daytime cartoon network most days, so i get a dose of what's being pitched to this movie's target audience. I feel like we're in the range where we should start getting bombarded with MLP Movie commercials if Hasbro has any confidence in the movie performing well. I saw a lot of ads for stuff like Captain Underpants or Nut Job 2.

I don't know what the timing window is for the advertisements promoting the movie but yeah at this point I feel like they should be starting advertisements pretty soon since it's almost a half a month until it drops. Hasbro has done quite a few things on social media like the Twilight and Pinkie Facebook thing the other day and all the movie posters. Apparently Tara also went on some popular radio talkshow to promote the movie as well from what I've heard. And then there's all the movie concession stuff that they're doing too. From that angle they've done quite a bit of stuff to promote the movie but it does feel like there hasn't been many ads which is weird since it seems like it would be silly for them to do all the other promotional stuff if they're just sending the movie out to die. My guesses are that either Hasbro thinks the social media stuff they have done will make up for a lower ad budget, the ad season for the movie hasn't started yet, or (perhaps most likely) Lionsgate is in charge of ads and since they have a history of getting shitty animated movies that bomb horribly they're used to not doing ad campaigns for their movies.

Speaking of posters, it's Friday which means we got more of them. Like last week I'll link my favorites but you can check out the whole collection here

iINy0Qr.jpg
T4YWqBE.jpg

Man, the MLP comic this week fucking sucked. "I'm Twilight and I'm afraid that if I don't do something important, history won't remember me. I have to find this magical flower that might not exist!"

Says the bitch that saved Equestria like six times and literally became a fucking princess for her deeds and actions.

What an overwritten mess.

Man, the MLP comic this week fucking sucked. "I'm Twilight and I'm afraid that if I don't do something important, history won't remember me. I have to find this magical flower that might not exist!"

Says the bitch that saved Equestria like six times and literally became a fucking princess for her deeds and actions.

What an overwritten mess.

It's not quite what she was saying. Twilight's pretty into magic and has spent her whole life studying it. She was hoping to leave her mark on the field of magic by trying to make a discovery which might potentially change magic at a fundamental level. Despite all of Twilight's accomplishments as a princess and world-saver she has done very little to advance the field of magic in her time on the show. The only remotely noteworthy thing was I guess finishing Starswirl's spell and even that wasn't too big a deal since all she really did was just add friendship. Since Twilight is at her core an academic I think it's reasonable that she would worry so much about leaving a lasting impact.

Don't get me wrong I didn't think the comic was good either and I had a ton of issues with how Twilight's plot worked in the comic, just that I think her motivation did make sense.

Top Bottom