• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 7 |OT| Is this still a fad?

PaulloDEC

Overall if I had to do some stupid power rankings after listening to them once without the visuals it would probably be:

1. One Small Thing

2-4. All the other songs besides I'm the Friend You Need

5. I'm the Friend you need.

This seems about right. Friend You Need isn't exactly bad IMO, but it comes across like an unnecessary song for a character none of us really give a crap about (yet).

Arrangement overall sounds really nice, and the tracks are varied and catchy. It'll be cool to see them all in context.

Looking around it seems like people are liking "Open Up Your Eyes" which doesn't surprise me that much since it sounds very similar to Luna's Future and We Will Stand for Everfree which are songs that people generally seemed to like a lot more then me. One Small Thing sounds very similar to Pinkie's Present which I generally liked a lot more then most people. I haven't listened to any of the pack-in songs by other artists used to fill out the album.

Also since I can't find this song literally anywhere since it's not on Spotify with the rest of the album, I'll link this Youtube upload of the song from the first trailer "Off To See The World" here.

This seems about right. Friend You Need isn't exactly bad IMO, but it comes across like an unnecessary song for a character none of us really give a crap about (yet).

Arrangement overall sounds really nice, and the tracks are varied and catchy. It'll be cool to see them all in context.

Yeah definitely looking forward to seeing how everything fits together with the visuals.

Also as an aside I was going to go into the stuff that's spoiled by the songs but to be honest nothing in them isn't anything we didn't already know if you've read the junior novel so there's not much to talk about.

Since today is the autumnal equinox, have some Princesses.

21687594_518260051856188_4888954977761735204_n.jpg

Someone should replace that fine print with something like "The characters and their appearing within this promotional image for My Little Pony: The Movie® are not necessarily representative of the final product. Allspark Pictures, Hasbro Inc., and Lionsgate are not responsible for any reasonable expectations this image might've produced of the characters' involvement in the film."

Bunch of stuff coming later, including the draft of the movie spoiler thread OP, but for now,

New Equestria Girls Summertime Shorts: "Coinky-Dink World" and "Good Vibes", both of which are songs.

EQG Summertime Shorts
Coinky-Dink World - Weird how the two people Pinkie is trying to pair up have slightly different art styles than the other humans. This is a decently cute short.
Good Vibes - Oh no, it's Flash. OK, it's just the beginning. Funny how this uses everyone's powers better than Legend of Everfree, Movie Magic, and Mirror Magic. IT'S SUNSET SUSHI! AT LAST! And Flash is back at the end. This was a pretty good short.

Both shorts have the EQG intro, and thus can be identified as animated by DHX, keeping consistent the pattern of them animating only the music videos.

And the movie songs are officially available for free on YouTube now.

Linkara of Atop the Fourth Wall reviews the Neigh Anything duology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J80mAbwmaqU

Seriously, what Patreon sponsor decided this of all comic arcs was right for him to review? It's a random and silly story that doesn't tie into what he usually reviews, nor does it accurately reflect the rest of the comic, nor is it at all bad. If I wanted to demonstrate a set of decent-to-good issues, then sticking to two issues max, I'd choose two of the following: the Discord and CMC Friends Forever issue; the main series issue where Discord, Fluttershy, and the CMC time travel; and the Discord and Luna Friends Forever issue. Expanding to three issues, Ponies of the Dark Water, the Accord arc, and the Shadow Lock arc all would have worked fine. And there are a bunch of one-off stories that could be chosen.

Still, his reactions to the references, the weird pony technology, and the princess in a public high school part were good, along with his acknowledgment that the comic quickly addressed many of the complaints he was starting to have, like Cadance not asking out Shining herself.

For those wondering about the video length, it's because this review features major story developments for the current arc of Atop the Fourth Wall. Yes, he's that kind of reviewer. You can pretty safely skip past the beginning story segments and stop when he stops reviewing the comic.

Art and spoiler thread draft coming. Though it occurs to me that I need a subtitle for the spoiler thread. My suggestion is to go simple: "My Little Pony: the Movie |SPOILER THREAD| And magic makes it all complete". But I don't feel that strongly about this, so I'll go with a better one if someone suggests it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Do we really need a spoiler thread for the movie?

Opening Song > princesses get captured > there's an adventure > friendship saves the day > Probably the Sia song just like with Shakira's song at the ens of Zootopia > The end.

This is hardly going to be a film with gripping plot twists. We're not going to be seeing Transformers 86 where everyone dies.

Fat4all

Banned
[SPOILER THREAD] Movie Magic

[SPOILER THREAD] Thanos Kills Fluttershy

[SPOILER THREAD] Call Upon the Seaponies

[SPOILER THREAD] Oh Hi, Ponies!

[SPOILER THREAD] Big-Picture Perfect Ponies

[SPOILER THREAD] Glitter In My Popcorn

Opening Song > princesses get captured > there's an adventure > friendship saves the day > Probably the Sia song just like with Shakira's song at the ens of Zootopia > The end.

This is hardly going to be a film with gripping plot twists. We're not going to be seeing Transformers 86 where everyone dies.

I was under the impression that the point of a spoiler thread is to indicate that the discussion is going to be geared towards people that have already seen the movie. And even if a huge chunk of the plot stuff is fairly obvious people still care about spoilers.

Also I propose the title [SPOILER THREAD] The princesses get captured in this one

It's more to have a separate movie thread, since some people here aren't watching the movie in theaters, and there are people who haven't watched season 7 who would want to post about the movie without getting it muddled with show discussion. These early screenings are sure to cause some discussion, and generally it isn't proper to make an OT this soon before the official release, so spoiler thread it is. I made the title of this thread under the assumption that the movie would come out after season 7 ended, which would make for a clean break between season 7 and movie discussion, but that wasn't the case.

One Small Thing might just be my favorite. The first half is so catchy, I can't help but smile like an idiot during it. The part where the rest of the Mane 6 join in is kinda iffy but I love everything else.

I'm totally with you on this except for the mane six part. That's the best! It's like a gospel-type deal with Dr. Seuss lyrics. Pinkie's Present was also the highlight of Hearth's Warming Tale for me, too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was under the impression that the point of a spoiler thread is to indicate that the discussion is going to be geared towards people that have already seen the movie. And even if a huge chunk of the plot stuff is fairly obvious people still care about spoilers.

Also I propose the title [SPOILER THREAD] The princesses get captured in this one

Yeah, but not all movies get a spoiler thread. Some times it's just not needed.

Who in the world is hating on "Pinkie's Present"? That and "Luna's Future" are the highlights of the episode. Plus, Pinkie's song leads into a GOAT Twilight moment.

Yeah, but not all movies get a spoiler thread. Some times it's just not needed.

I think I know where the mix up is. I have no intention of creating a separate OT for the movie, just the spoiler thread.

EDIT: Hmm, I am starting to have doubts, though. For one thing, there's no guarantee that people attending the world premiere will actually say much about the movie. The other early screenings are more of an open question. If there is little new information from the world premiere, then there's little to discuss, and there's no point in making the thread. Once more detailed impressions come in, I'll make a new thread, but concerning whether it will be a spoiler thread or an OT, I suppose I'll consult with a mod to see how early screenings can affect the creation time of an OT.

Plus, I now see that having a spoiler thread creates the assumption of an OT later.

Still though, that just means I'm creating a thread draft a week or so ahead, as I prefer to do, so it's still coming.

EDIT: Pinkie Pie Says Goodnight: Lost in Translation - Features Zecora and Russian.

Spoiler thread / maybe OT I guess draft. You know, not making a thread for the world premiere definitely takes a load off my shoulders. The draft is missing a lot of things right now, but it's getting late, and this shows well enough the direction I'm going.

medium.jpeg
medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

(source)
Director: Jayson Thiessen (show director of Friendship is Magic)
Writers: Meghan McCarthy (former head writer of Friendship is Magic), Rita Hsiao (assistant writer for multiple Disney movies)
Produced by: Hasbro Studios, Allspark Pictures, DHX Media/Vancouver
Distributed by: Lionsgate

World premiere: September 24, 2017 in New York City
Early screenings: September 30, 2017; October 1, 2017; October 4, 2017; and other dates at various locations
Release date: October 6, 2017

In order to stop a threat to the town of Ponyville, the "Mane Six" – Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Rarity – must leave their home kingdom of Equestria, meeting new friends and overcoming challenges in the process.

In late 2010 and early 2011, the Internet at large gained a sudden and inexplicable obsession with a show aimed at little girls about ponies, with a force strong enough to leave lasting impacts even here. Everyone thought it would be a minor fad that would burn out in a year, but now, Hasbro considers My Little Pony one of its pillars, mentioning it in the same breath as Transformers, and it culminates here, with the first MLP theatrical film for over 30 years.

... The Equestria Girls movies were direct-to-video specials that got limited theatrical screenings, they don't count.

THE SHOW
Although the movie is meant to be standalone, and perfectly fine to watch without the show, it might be worth getting some background. The show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic started in October 2010, and tells the story of Twilight Sparkle, a studious unicorn shut-in sent by her mentor, Princess Celestia, to the town of Ponyville. There, she formed an unbreakable bond of friendship with five other ponies while facing an ancient evil. Since then, Twilight learned the magic of friendship through both slice of life stories and dangerous adventures (more the former), and ascended to become an alicorn, gaining wings and the title of princess. However, she still has much to learn.

As of thread creation, Friendship is Magic has aired 161 episodes,156 of which are on Netflix now. There probably isn't too much danger is just starting the series from the newest episode, but if you're uncomfortable with that, then good news, we at PonyGAF made an episode guide! Last year, we made an image-based guide, but that's not quite ready yet, so have a text-based one instead, with the existing images linked at the relevant parts. [[INSERT LINK]]

CAST
There are all kinds of guest stars, but we should look at the actual main characters first. Guide lazily reused from the season 6 thread; note that the Cutie Mark Crusaders aren't expected to play a significant role in the film.
7Net4Yr.png

And then there are these people. Vector sources linked in character names
thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.png

Emily Blunt - Tempest Shadow - Tempest left Equestria long ago after failing to find a way to heal her broken horn. Now, she follows the evil Storm King, who promises to fix her once she has collected the magic of all the princesses, with the aid of his technology and magic artifacts.
Zoe Saldana - Captain Celaeno - Once a fierce and free pirate, Celaeno and her crew were humbled by the Storm King and now simply deliver supplies for him. But an encounter with the ponies could rekindle something in her.
Michael Peña - Grubber - Ostracized from his species for being too small and weak, Grubber found his niche as a right hand man of the Storm King that's too stupid to ever betray him. He's kind and gentle at heart, but he has no way out.
Liev Schreiber - The Storm King - The Storm King has already conquered most of the known world, and now his sights are set on Equestria. With the magic of the princesses, he'll be able to control the weather and truly be able to rule everything.

thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.png

Kristin Chenoweth - Princess Skystar - Skystar is the secluded princess of the seaponies, who just wants to make friends with someone, anyone. Maybe even a clam. Also, shoo-be-doo.
Uzo Aduba - Queen Novo - Novo is the queen of the seaponies, who keeps them away from the outside out of fear of the Storm King's threat. However, she has a power that may be able to turn the tides.
Taye Diggs - Capper - Capper is a charming gentleman living the the desolate city of Klugetown, but you don't succeed there by being nice. After experiencing Rarity's generosity, something starts to change.
Sia - Songbird Serenade - Songbird is a popular singer who sings at the end, like in that other recent-ish movie with talking animals.

WHAT DO WE KNOW?
So what do we know about the movie? Well... basically everything. You see, the junior novelization was released a while ago. And activity books. And a picture book. Also the soundtrack.
[soundtrack]

But the junior novelization is vague about several things, [and more]

[videos]

[links]

Credit to DrForester for some assets, and PaulloDEC for helping assemble the episode guide.

UberTag

I'm not even sure the CMCs merit a spot in the Movie OT title... although perhaps I'm mistaken on that front. I haven't heard a peep about them having any sort of meaningful role in the few spoilers I've inadvertently stumbled upon.

Also, Trixie needs to be added to the Season 7 OT opening post (outside of her cute little animated .gif).
wtzgU.gif

And, given what we know about what's to come, probably Starburst as well.

As for the above music chatter, I adore Pinkie's Present, I'm sort of meh on One Small Thing and the entire movie OST overall... although I think Open Up Your Eyes has potential depending on the accompanying visuals. Not seeing any Oscar love in the future, however... and given the show's musical pedigree and the crap year in theatrical animation we've had, that's kind of a bummer.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Soundtrack lacks Weird Al, Stan Bush, and a glam-rock cover of the theme song.

You know, I think a comparison to the Transformers movie is going to be forthcoming once I see this...

The Transformers movie, in almost every aspect, took a ton of risks. MLP seems to just be paining by numbers and doing what they've done before.

I'm not even sure the CMCs merit a spot in the Movie OT title... although perhaps I'm mistaken on that front. I haven't heard a peep about them having any sort of meaningful role in the few spoilers I've inadvertently stumbled upon.

It's just the season 6 OT character guide, unedited. I mention above the image that the CMC aren't expected to play a significant role. On a side note, I used season 6 instead of 7 because the latter is a bit more in-jokey. As for adding others, they're still sort of at a Big Mac level of recurring character.

BTW, got mod permission to just make an early movie OT instead of a spoiler thread, so that's resolved. I'll make it once there's actually something to discuss, instead of tomorrow. Speaking of which, I'll continue to modify the OP draft by editing my previous post.

Today's episode is,
20. A Health of Information
While helping Fluttershy gather supplies, Zecora comes down with a terrible disease called Swamp Fever; even though a cure has not been discovered, Fluttershy makes it her mission to heal Zecora no matter what it takes.

Considering only Shiny talked about the Russian airing, I guess few of you watched it already. I'll have to watch it late today.

And because I didn't do it yesterday, quick Rarity art dump. One of these days interest in Rarity will drop down enough that I'll be able to catch up on art from other old episodes. But not today.

Fashion Punk by Togeticisa
Manefriends by Madacon
Shine inside out by skodadav
FashionPunkbyTogeticIsa1506023463231.jpg
ManefriendsbyMadacon1506023463351.png
Shineinsideoutbyskodadav1506023463705.png

Punk Rarity by Vale-Bandicoot96
Punk Rarity by Tinka-Love
Raripunk by PaperDrop
PunkRaritybyValeBandicoot961506023464303.png
PunkRaritybyTinkaLove1506112282419.png
3233322221byPaperDrop1506112282040.png

EDIT: Adding more.
Super handsome Rarity by ponyjuly - New artist!
Punk Rarity by SeraphimStardust
Rarity by SapphireLiz
Punk Rarity by wolfchen999
small.jpeg
small.png
thumb.png
thumb.png

Sounds of magic by mechagen
medium.jpeg

Comic - Punk's Not Dead by Moonlightfan - I kind of think the description works as a better punchline.

I'm very curious to see what everyone else thinks of for this latest episode.

I don't know if I'd put this episode over the final parts of Discordant Harmony, but I think this was a pretty strong Fluttershy episode all in all? Or at the very least, it feels a bit different than the usual Fluttershy-focused episodes we've gotten in the past.

That said, I do think there's some faults with the episode, most notably the strange lengths it goes to in order to avoid saying that Mage Meadowbrook is long dead. Hearing "She lived ages ago.... AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO HER AFTER SHE VANISHED ONE DAY" multiple times over in the episode made me scratch my head.

A Perfect Pear did a much better job at tactfully handling that characters were dead without outright saying so.

MLP seems to just be paining by numbers and doing what they've done before.

Seriously what are you expecting? The movie at least in part is supposed to be an introduction to the series for people that haven't seen it before or for people that haven't been keeping up with it. Of course it's going to cover themes that the show has already done it would be weird if it didn't. I feel like you're going into this movie wanting it to be something it was never going to be. The 80s Transformers movie was a financial flop, not even making back its 6 Million budget. (around 13 Million in today's money, which is likely a lot less then how much the MLP movie is going to cost) And a lot of people were put off by how much more mature the movie was then the show at the time. The lesson there seems to me to be that is that trying to mix things up and go for something tonally different from the show it's based on is a pretty risky move.

That said, I do think there's some faults with the episode, most notably the strange lengths it goes to in order to avoid saying that Mage Meadowbrook is long dead. Hearing "She lived ages ago.... AND NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO HER AFTER SHE VANISHED ONE DAY" multiple times over in the episode made me scratch my head.

I didn't care for the episode that much, but them saying that she disappeared rather then outright dying is because she actually did disappear and isn't dead, if the premise for the season finale is to be believed. If she actually died I feel like they would have just not mentioned the issue like they did with the apple parents.

I didn't care for the episode that much, but them saying that she disappeared rather then outright dying is because she actually did disappear and isn't dead, if the premise for the season finale is to be believed. If she actually died I feel like they would have just not mentioned the issue like they did with the apple parents.

Yeah, I was thinking about that afterward while I was eating lunch. If that turns out to be the case, which it probably will judging by the season finale synopsis, I'd agree that it'd change things significantly.

I'm still not entirely sure what to think of the episode myself. I just keep mulling it over in my head and I'm not sure either way if I like it or not. It's not a standout episode, but it's also nowhere near as bad as Daring Done was either.

Like I said earlier, all I really know is that it feels a bit different than the standard Fluttershy episodes, even the more recent ones that show her being more assertive.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Seriously what are you expecting? The movie at least in part is supposed to be an introduction to the series for people that haven't seen it before or for people that haven't been keeping up with it. Of course it's going to cover themes that the show has already done it would be weird if it didn't. I feel like you're going into this movie wanting it to be something it was never going to be. The 80s Transformers movie was a financial flop, not even making back its 6 Million budget. (around 13 Million in today's money, which is likely a lot less then how much the MLP movie is going to cost) And a lot of people were put off by how much more mature the movie was then the show at the time. The lesson there seems to me to be that is that trying to mix things up and go for something tonally different from the show it's based on is a pretty risky move.

Try something new, try to branch out in storytelling. Storm King doesn't even seem to be a big treat compared to what we've seen from other character's in the show like Tirek or even Discord. He's a guy with a stick and airships. And not only does he immediately take out the two demi-gods of the land, 1/3 of the population seems to forget they can fly and control the weather. This guy is going to be Sombra-levels of forgettable.

Story wise, it seems like the only thing that came to mind when told "hey, you get to do a big MLP movie" is "Cool, we can have some guest stars".

And Transformers might not have been a success at release, but it's certainly paid off by becoming a fondly remembered cult classic.

Soundtrack lacks Weird Al, Stan Bush, and a glam-rock cover of the theme song.

You know, I think a comparison to the Transformers movie is going to be forthcoming once I see this...

The Transformers movie, in almost every aspect, took a ton of risks. MLP seems to just be paining by numbers and doing what they've done before.

I'm not heavily interested in the My Little Pony movie taking a ton of risks. There are so many satisfactory — and sometimes better — ways to fill 100 minutes of screen time than trying to show off how much you're willing to shock the audience with your risky story decisions. Cool set pieces filled with well done action and animation? Clever banter between the heroes and the villains? Strong characterization and interactions between the new and old heroes? I would argue that although MLP:FiM has TRIED to attempt a lot of these before, it has also failed in a lot of ways in bringing it all home. The movie, on the other hand, seems to have a chance at pulling it all off on a level quality-wise a lot higher than we've seen before. That's what I'm going to the theater for — not to see Celestia bite it or to have it be a heist movie or a romance story or whatever you were hoping it to be.

Predictability is a really bad indicator of quality.

New episode was a nice amount of fun, though I'm surprised it took the route it did. I mean for one, Zecora wouldn't have gotten sick if Fluttershy had flown over to help gather supplies. She has wings.

And why step one wouldn't have been to hit up Twilight is beyond me. At this point, the show would have me trust her over anyone else.

Also, shit that Swamp Fever has a dark ending. Did not expect that.

On the whole, I enjoyed it. Was nice seeing Fluttershy lose her shit, even if it was due to sleep deprivation.

Edit: the two new EQG shorts are pretty fun. So Sunset has a job! Interesting.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I liked today's episode, though I wish they had made it more of a Fluttershy and Twilight adventure. Felt like Twilight was just there.

Still a fun little adventure episode, and pretty creepy when you think about the disease.

I wish it was a little clearer in today's episode whether or not it would've been possible to administer the cure post-tree, because that would be the difference between the episode being completely horrifying/baffling and it making sense. It was very strange how the message was basically pace yourself when someone's life could've been on the line. This isn't the mile run you did in PE — Zecora could've fucking died. Twilight, can't you try a little harder to apply yourself? I'm with Fluttershy, no time for naps. She didn't need three days of sleeping to figure out to use the masks.

It was also lame that the stare didn't work, or more so the fact that it wasn't even explained why it didn't. I guess she was too tired maybe? But then couldn't she have just tried it again after sleeping?

I didn't really like the episode. I would've rather watched the Twilight-Spike cook-off. NON-STICK PANS

draetenth

I enjoyed this episode and thought the interactions were pretty good. It did make me wonder how Season 1 Fluttershy would have handled things... (especially when you realize that the disease turned the victim into a tree which S1 Fluttershy wouldn't have minded at one point...).

Agree that Twilight didn't seem to take things too seriously for something that may not have been treatable and could be the end of the victim.

Just watched the EQG shorts. The Pinkie one was cute enough. Did Pinkie playing matchmaker remind anyone else of that first episode she had with Cranky in Season 2?

I also loved what they did with Sunset and her job in the other short. Not gonna lie, the idea of Sunset working at a hibachi/sushi restaurant never crossed my mind, but I think it suits her rather nicely!

My only real complaint with the shorts is that potential Sunset/Flash teasing at the very end. I'm not all that surprised, of course. But really, Hasbro, just because you're going to such great lengths to make sure it doesn't happen doesn't change the fact that Sunset and Twilight/SciTwi both have the best chemistry with each other and not either of the male characters you created for the sole purpose of being romantic interests.

I wish it was a little clearer in today's episode whether or not it would've been possible to administer the cure post-tree, because that would be the difference between the episode being completely horrifying/baffling and it making sense. It was very strange how the message was basically pace yourself when someone's life could've been on the line. This isn't the mile run you did in PE — Zecora could've fucking died. Twilight, can't you try a little harder to apply yourself? I'm with Fluttershy, no time for naps. She didn't need three days of sleeping to figure out to use the masks.

It was also lame that the stare didn't work, or more so the fact that it wasn't even explained why it didn't. I guess she was too tired maybe? But then couldn't she have just tried it again after sleeping?

I didn't really like the episode. I would've rather watched the Twilight-Spike cook-off. NON-STICK PANS

I mean, Fluttershy couldn't even fly or climb the tree when she tried to get the honey the second time. Twilight had to levitate her up.

Just because she was rested doesn't automatically mean that she wasn't still exhausted.

I mean, Fluttershy couldn't even fly or climb the tree when she tried to get the honey the second time. Twilight had to levitate her up.

Just because she was rested doesn't automatically mean that she wasn't still exhausted.

Then what was the point of resting? You could argue that the (excessively long) sleep helped her mentally but the disease was still a drain on her physically, but the stare seems to be more of a mental thing too. So three days of sleep is not enough time to recover her very ingrained animal-control ability, but enough time to happen to see a bee fly in and cuddle up to the mask and formulate a plan from there...

It was all just really weird.

Ogodei

Loved this episode, though the Legends of Equestria cameos are starting to feel more and more shoehorned.

This was a great episode to demonstrate Fluttershy's character growth.

Then what was the point of resting? You could argue that the (excessively long) sleep helped her mentally but the disease was still a drain on her physically, but the stare seems to be more of a mental thing too. So three days of sleep is not enough time to recover her very ingrained animal-control ability, but enough time to happen to see a bee fly in and cuddle up to the mask and formulate a plan from there...

It was all just really weird.

I think the resting was purely down to Fluttershy recovering from the bee attack, her own Swamp Fever and having pushed herself far too much. It wasn't a case of her wanting to rest that long or even Twilight or Cattail wanting her to (as Twilight said they both afraid she wouldn't be able to move when she came to), but rather that it was literally what her body needed at the time.

PaulloDEC

Cool episode this week, but I'd agree with the common complaints here. To all intents and purposes this is a terminal illness we're dealing with, so Twilight's casual attitude throughout felt slightly bizarre to me. Actually, Twilight's characterisation seemed off to me in general; her response to the offer of exhaustive research was shockingly muted given this is Twi we're talking about.

New writers though, so I'm willing to cut some slack. Flutters was on-point, and I liked the flashback/lore stuff.

A Health of Information
More signs that ponyland is secretly terrible: a disease that turns you into a tree over a period of days and lighting bees.

I feel like the immediate threat of the Swamp Fever undermined the story a bit. Why was the cure lost to the ages? How is it rare if it's so easy to spread? The final gag of the doctor catching it too doesn't feel funny when it would have freaking killed him. Or, you know, turned him into a tree. Plus, Twilight continued trying to get the honey without hurting the bees, when you'd think she'd go on a warpath to get it; maybe there should have been a line where she says she couldn't risk the honey being destroyed if she used stronger magic. Hmm, come to think of it, given my reaction, this might count as a "This is TV-Y?" moment for my bingo card.

So, two episodes with Zecora and we still haven't actually learned anything about her. Pretty remarkable.

Anyway, besides that, I thought this was a pretty good episode. It was nice to see Fluttershy's determination, and the new disease, creatures, and setting were all pretty interesting. The lesson about overworking was nice, showing that even with a time limit coming up, it's important to rest. Given his prominence in the comic tie-in issue, it was a bit odd that Cattail was mainly just there for exposition. Twilight also mainly played a support role, and didn't have many interesting moments. Still, I thought the other aspects made up for that.

EDIT: It's interesting that Meadowbrook is known separately for her healing and her magic, and Twilight didn't seem to have any reaction to her being an earth pony. I guess earth pony magic is already a well known thing.

50 minutes of interviews with the cast and crew of MLP: the Movie - I'm not watching all this unless someone says there's something particularly interesting, but it's still incredible that they released a video this long. Or, someone did; apparently it's very roughly edited, like it's the raw footage before it's polished up, and it cuts at weird points.

Malaysia had an Autumn Equinox Moon Festival pony display, with the below Cadance as its mascot.

2.JPG

Design aside, I feel like Cadance makes more sense as a Spring Equinox mascot, while Twilight should be the Fall Equinox mascot.

And following up on responses, starting with Shiny's ignored post from earlier this week.

The episode I feel had a massive and obvious joke that they didn't even go for. Why didn't Fluttershy want to be turned into a tree? There were a couple laughs here and there but overall I feel like this kinda episode just isn't my style. It was kinda unsettling having such high stakes in an MLP episode because Swamp Fever was terrifying. That sounds like a horrible way to go. It kinda reminded me of Over the Garden Wall if any of you have watched that, and if you haven't go and do that right now. You know when they said that Mage just randomly disappeared my first assumption was that she got Swamp Fever and turned into a tree, but I guess that was a red herring of sorts. It's also really jarring that they have the Doctor who did nothing wrong getting Swamp Fever as being some sort of joke, because if Fluttershy hadn't found a cure (And the doctor didn't know if they did) then they would have been responsible for him as well. Aside from those nitpicks I didn't care that much for it. The story was alright but it wasn't super funny and didn't have particularly good character interactions. (That guy that they threw in didn't really have much of a personality so he kind of wasted potential I feel) Overall I didn't hate it but I feel like it just isn't for me.

Fluttershy referencing wanting to be a tree would have been cute, but I struggle to think of a context she'd bring it up in that wouldn't be forced here. I feel like the episode would have been hugely improved if they said that the disease could be managed by pruning branches every once in a while, allowing the infected to live a semi-normal but uncomfortable life. That would have removed the time limit without diminishing Fluttershy's concern.

With the synopsis, I was expecting an episode closer in style to season 1's "A Bird in the Hoof", with Fluttershy and then Twilight trying to take care of Zecora. That would have allowed more for character interaction than the story heavy episode we got. With Meadowbrook's involvement, I was also hoping for her to have some connection to Zecora beyond being a story she heard once, like that Meadowbrook actually got her mask from the zebras and she's considered a hero among them.

I agree that it was a waste that Cattail was merely generically nice and helpful.

I'm very curious to see what everyone else thinks of for this latest episode.

I don't know if I'd put this episode over the final parts of Discordant Harmony, but I think this was a pretty strong Fluttershy episode all in all? Or at the very least, it feels a bit different than the usual Fluttershy-focused episodes we've gotten in the past.

Purely as an adventure episode starring Fluttershy, I believe the first since "Dragonshy" back in season 1, I thought it was really interesting, especially since it completely avoided her shyness like in that episode. It was also neat to have a story where her kindness goes to self-destructive levels without making it about her being a doormat.

New episode was a nice amount of fun, though I'm surprised it took the route it did. I mean for one, Zecora wouldn't have gotten sick if Fluttershy had flown over to help gather supplies. She has wings.

And why step one wouldn't have been to hit up Twilight is beyond me. At this point, the show would have me trust her over anyone else.

Zecora gathering the moss instead of Fluttershy was a bit strange, but I suppose she was just being nice. After the beginning, I was a bit surprised the episode didn't play up that, "It was all my fault!" factor more.

GAF is the home of "GO SEE A DOCTOR", so I liked that Fluttershy went to an actual doctor first.

Edit: the two new EQG shorts are pretty fun. So Sunset has a job! Interesting.

I just realized we have an actual explanation for how she gets her money now!

Yeah, it was weird how calm Twilight was about the whole thing. Maybe have Spike tell them to go to sleep and Twilight grudgingly agrees, and Fluttershy decides to stay up.

As for the stare, I feel like that was a late addition to a script that didn't originally account for it, hence the quick use and handwave for why it didn't work.

I forgot about the bake-off, that was fun. Sweet potato muffins do sound pretty good. Also, confirmation that Twilight is at least decent at cooking, and not an anime "can't cook anything" character.

==

Just watched the EQG shorts. The Pinkie one was cute enough. Did Pinkie playing matchmaker remind anyone else of that first episode she had with Cranky in Season 2?

I also loved what they did with Sunset and her job in the other short. Not gonna lie, the idea of Sunset working at a hibachi/sushi restaurant never crossed my mind, but I think it suits her rather nicely!

My only real complaint with the shorts is that potential Sunset/Flash teasing at the very end. I'm not all that surprised, of course. But really, Hasbro, just because you're going to such great lengths to make sure it doesn't happen doesn't change the fact that Sunset and Twilight/SciTwi both have the best chemistry with each other and not either of the male characters you created for the sole purpose of being romantic interests.

For Pinkie, a more recent comparison is how she basically played matchmaker for Maud and Starlight.

The jobs the girls have all tie into the EQG Minis toys that were revealed a while ago, including Sunset Sushi. I think it works because her hair looks like food.

As for Flash,
thumb.gif

ULTIMATE TRIGGER

Also,
thumb.jpeg

Dougworld has meat, confirmed. In the past, even burgers used the same hayburger assets from the show.

Cool episode this week, but I'd agree with the common complaints here. To all intents and purposes this is a terminal illness we're dealing with, so Twilight's casual attitude throughout felt slightly bizarre to me. Actually, Twilight's characterisation seemed off to me in general; her response to the offer of exhaustive research was shockingly muted given this is Twi we're talking about.

New writers though, so I'm willing to cut some slack. Flutters was on-point, and I liked the flashback/lore stuff.

Same writers as "A Flurry of Emotions", actually. Given that, Twilight's portrayal here is even weirder.

Nice callback to Mage Meadowbrook from the season 5 premier (Starlight pretended the stick she used was one of Meadowbrooks magic items).

Also, just gonna leave this here.

I was disappointed that the episode didn't explain more how Meadowbrook was a mage and why she was being taught in Magic School if she wasn't a unicorn. When Twilight said that, she should have mentioned, "Earth pony mages are pretty rare, you know." That wouldn't have explained much, but at least it would have been an acknowledgment.

Zecora was completely unfamiliar with the disease and presumably the tree, yet she seems to know to go to that lake for moss. It looks like that tree was a recent addition.

Worth noting that they actually call attention to the "excited squeaking noise".

I do like how aware the characters are of each other's quirks now.

==

Concerning the movie discussion, I think having a tie-in movie to a still ongoing show be of major significance to the story is a big mistake, and those events should be in the primary medium only. If Celestia and Luna die, I want it on the TV show, where we don't need to stop to establish who everyone is, and we can have characters like Discord randomly appear without spending time introducing him. This is especially important now that one of the primary ways people experience the show is by just going through the episode list on Netflix, and thus might skip past the movie without realizing.

And then we have the perspective of someone new. Note how the movie is My Little Pony: the Movie, and not MLP: Friendship is Magic: the Movie. This ties back into the lessons Disney learned from DuckTales: the Movie, which was a flop, and how Goof Troop: the Movie was instead called A Goofy Movie. They want to draw in people with a standalone story, and parents got scared away if they thought they had to watch a particular show. And then the expectation is that if people like they movie, they'll start watching the show, and they have to be able to follow it whether they start from the beginning, the latest episode, or whatever home release they find at the store.

The 80's Transformers movie simply doesn't work for someone not already interested in the franchise and is terrible as an introduction, I find. X-Files: the Movie fell into a similar trap by being the culmination of everything seen in the show so far, and then exacerbated it by not actually being that important. A Goofy Movie did have some pretty significant developments for its characters (largely ignored in the sequel...), and is well regarded for that reason, but it was allowed to do that because Goof Troop had ended by that point. If this MLP movie does well enough to get a sequel after the show ends, then I expect we'll get stuff like Celestia and Luna dying and Fluttershy marrying Discord and Lyra marrying Bon Bon and Octavia marrying Sunburst.

Well, the world premiere of the movie happened and no one is talking about it, so I guess there was an NDA, and thus no need to make a thread.

However, one or two people there tried to film it and were thrown out, getting a storyboarder caught up in the mix too (she was let back in). I can't believe someone tried this in front of the cast and crew of the movie. I should probably bring this up now: we've been talking pretty freely about watching online copies of episodes, but with this movie, DO NOT post links to camera recordings of the movie, or even insinuate that you watched the movie illegally.

Anyway, "A Health of Information" episode roundup.

NOTES
An interesting comparison is how Fluttershy pretends to be sick in "Hurricane Fluttershy", and otherwise tries to get out of flying with everyone else, and how she acts when she's really sick, persistently and stubbornly continuing.

Of course it's unexpected that Meadowbrook is an earth pony, but I had forgotten that Twilight referred to her as an Eastern unicorn in "The Cutie Map". I hope when Twilight probably meets her in "Shadow Play", she gushes about how unexpected it is that she isn't a unicorn.

Obviously untrue, but I find this hilarious.
small.png

More pony blood! I think this is the most we've seen.
small.png

Bingo update: "This is TV-Y?!" moment, thanks to the horrifying swamp fever, and that sequence of Fluttershy getting attacked by bees and falling unconscious. So close to a bingo; damn you, "Shadow Play", for being a two-parter! I mentioned before that if Twilight still shows regret over publishing the Friendship Journal in a later episode, then I'll count that as a friendship conflict between the Mane Six that lasts for more than one episode. That, and Chrysalis not appearing, are currently the best path for a bingo.

SCREENSHOTS
Baker Twilight with her chef hat
Sick Fluttershy is pretty cute

YouTube captions, all from the Russian version, so it's cheating a bit, but it did result in some greatness.
The true purpose of the masks
medium.png

Location of Equestria
medium.png

GIFS
Fluttershy directing her anger at the Discovery Family logo
Fluttershy reading
Book horse returns to her natural habitat (embedded)
Fluttershy scares Twilight awake on books
Twilight slides down the books - Clearly she's done this a lot before.
Fluttershy scares Twilight awake on bed - Non-stick pans!
Fluttershy boops Twilight, latter has the natural reaction and dies of heart attack
Twilight mostly dodges lightning
Fluttershy walking into door (embedded) - Wow, this loop is well cut.
Fluttershy headbutt (embedded) - Also, head to butt.
Fluttershy continues her inability to open doors this season
Fluttershy attacked by bees - Seriously, this was pretty brutal.

thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Also, for "The Mane Thing About You", have a classic edit to create the barren timeline.

FAN CONTENT
Not too much art for this episode, considering the early release. Also, for whatever reason, ED barely showcased what does exist, so it's more or less just Derpibooru embeds for this.

I suppose now's the time to cover older episodes besides "It Isn't the Mane Thing About You"! But also that episode.

Meadowbrook by cheezedoodle96
Meadowbrook by saturdaymorningproj
Mage Fluttershy by IronM17
thumb.png
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png

Masked Health by AssasinMonkey
Mage Meadowbrook by XxsilvixX
Mage Fluttershy by JonFawkes
thumb.png
small.png
small.jpeg

Meadowbrook by neonmaible
Twilight cooking potato muffins by Taneysha - Made on Friday, before the US airing.
Twily by EepiArt - Made day of the Russian airing.
thumb.png
thumb.png
thumb.jpeg

birb princess by neuro - Made day of the Russian airing.
Fluttershy and bees by Taneysha - Made day two.
small.png
small.png

And because the idea was brought up here, this is larger.
Dream Tree by lumineko
medium.png

It Isn't the Mane Thing About You
Pinkie by AKAINU7 - Alright, enough of the non-punk characters.
Punk Rarity by StellarWay
Raripunk by Pillonchou
Rarity Punk by LightDragon87
S7E19byAKAINU71506112283324.jpg
PunkRaritybyStellarWay1506199994867.png
RaripunkbyPillonchou1506199995167.png
RarityPunkbyLightDragon871506285227948.jpg

https://baron-engel.deviantart.com/art/Punk-Rarity-706176814
Punk Rock Rarity by Stardep
The Mane Thing About You by SketchMCreations
small.jpeg
thumb.png
small.png

Daring Done?
If it fits, I sits by atryl
What do you mean I’m too little to guard the pyramid? by badumsquish
Somnambula by CloudyGlow - Kind of weird seeing her without her headdress.
thumb.png
thumb.png
small.png

All your crops belong to mlem by Alumx - Not sure what mlem is, or if that's a typo.
The Sphinx by GlitterStar2000
Sphinx Sketch by HiccupsDoesArt
AllyourcropsbelongtomlembyAlumx1505593774193.png
TheSphinxbyGlitterStar20001505689124698.png
SphinxSketchbyHiccupsDoesArt1505689128939.jpg

Somnambulas by YorozPony
Somnambula and Hope by Glim-Glam - A reference to her Legends of Magic comic.
Good Sphinx by Tsitra360
SomnambulasbyYorozPony1505854940994.png
SomnambulaandHopebyGlimGlam1506112285360.png
GoodSphinxbyTsitra3601506112282156.png

Rainbow Dash by raikoh - Note that we still have zero art of Daring Do.
The Ever Hopeful by Zanefir-Dran
Daring Done? title card by esmeia
small.jpeg
thumb.png
thumb.png

Comics
Baking Bad - Explains why Starlight wasn't present.
Daring Don't? - Reality - What would happen if Daring Do and Somnambula met.

Videos
Forgot to post these CENSORED videos. Neither are that good, IMO.
Daring Done?
It Isn't the Mane Thing About You

So....uh....can we talk about the fact there is an disease carrying flower in equestria that turns the afflicted into FUCKING TREES!?!

What the fuck equestria!? I mean you already had it bad enough with the wide variety of dangerous fauna running about like Cockatrices, Manticores, Chimeras and other dangerous animals, fucking Tartarus with a guard dog who isn't exactly good at guarding and the usual threat of the week villains that could end the world as they know it but now we have a plant that could turn you into a tree to continue spreading the dangerous plant?? Man, to think that way back in season 1 we probably all thought equestria was a straight up sugar bowl of goodness but no. It's a nice place surrounded by THE BLAZING FIRES OF HELL... figuratively speaking of course.

So....uh....can we talk about the fact there is an disease carrying flower in equestria that turns the afflicted into FUCKING TREES!?!

What the fuck equestria!? I mean you already had it bad enough with the wide variety of dangerous fauna running about like Cockatrices, Manticores, Chimeras and other dangerous animals, fucking Tartarus with a guard dog who isn't exactly good at guarding and the usual threat of the week villains that could end the world as they know it but now we have a plant that could turn you into a tree to continue spreading the dangerous plant?? Man, to think that way back in season 1 we probably all thought equestria was a straight up sugar bowl of goodness but no. It's a nice place surrounded by THE BLAZING FIRES OF HELL... figuratively speaking of course.

medium.png

Top Bottom