• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
yencid said:
some people dont like the look (which i dont understand why)

I don't personally mind the look, but it does occasionally look like half-assed, quick and cheap flash animation. It's nothing new though, Cartoon Network were guilty of that shit as far back as 15 years ago with stuff like Dexter's Laboratory (a great show, save for the animation).

Cloudy

Banned
meltingparappa said:
Also this says all that needs to be said:
Derpy_derping.png

Is that supposed to be a cross-eyed pony? What's the story behind that?

Instro

I was wondering why I kept seeing images of this all over the internet.. Makes sense, watching the first ep, animation is nice.

Derpy Hooves (fanbase name) was located in one of the episodes, and gained popularity. Derpy was brought back as a nod to the fanbase.

watatatow

Suairyu said:
What does it having been made in Flash have to do with anything? The quality of the animation is very high. They have some very skilled animators there.
The animators might be skilled, but they're certainly not showing it here. The characters move with that mechanical, overly smooth flow typical of Flash animations. There is no personality in the animation at all. Look at classic Looney Tunes, Ren & Stimpy, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, Chip N Dale, etc. for actual high quality TV cartoon animation.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Grown man with an anime avatar (note: multiple anime avatars) claiming he "lost his manliness" because he watches children's cartoon show.

OK.

Suairyu

Banned
watatatow said:
The animators might be skilled, but they're certainly now showing it here. The characters move with that mechanical, overly smooth flow typical of Flash animations. There is no personality in the animation at all. Look at classic Looney Toons, Ren & Stimpy, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, Chip N Dale, etc. for actual high quality TV cartoon animation.
I see plenty of personality. And yeah, it isn't on the same level as Looney Toons or Ren and Stimpy, but that smoothness you describe is an unavoidable side effect of computer animation or animation with a high framerate. Cel animation is a very different discipline with a very different aesthetic to key-frame animation.
Baconbitz said:
Me either. I mean its geared towards kids.
So are all of Miyazaki's Ghibli films; doesn't mean adults don't enjoy them. However, "I don't think this has any appeal to adults" would be a valid criticism. But I'd disagree with it.

MisterHero

Actually that "Flash-like" puppetry can be done, and is probably easier to do in Adobe Aftereffects or even in 3D software.

Suairyu said:
but that smoothness you describe is an unavoidable side effect of computer animation or animation with a high framerate.

It doesn't have anything to do with framerate. It's a shortcut used in flash animation called 'tweening'. It's done so that they don't have to draw as many in-between frames, so the program does all the work for you. It's done to save money and time.

And yes, it's distracting.

KevinCow

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:
A cartoon for 3 year olds about multi coloured ponies, and all grown men can find to criticise about it is the animation style.

Must be pretty good then.

I guess I'm the opposite. I tried watching the first episode based on some hype over on Something Awful and the fact that it's made by some people behind Powerpuff Girls, but kinda gave up halfway through.

On the other hand, I really like the art style and animation. It's so fucking adorable. A lot of people over on Something Awful have avatars from the show, and they're some of the few animated avatars that I don't block.

KevinCow said:
I guess I'm the opposite. I tried watching the first episode based on some hype over on Something Awful and the fact that it's made by some people behind Powerpuff Girls, but kinda gave up halfway through.

On the other hand, I really like the art style and animation. It's so fucking adorable. A lot of people over on Something Awful have avatars from the show, and they're some of the few animated avatars that I don't block.
Does it by any chance have any of the subtle adult humour that made PPG so much more awesome?

There has been a lot of people jumping on the pony bandwagon lately, at first I just thought everyone was trying to be 'ironic' but I'll check it out if people are actually serious.

SonicMegaDrive said:
No, it doesn't.
do not want then

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Going by the episode linked before it's just a really fluid show with very cute and fun dynamics between the characters. It has some subtle critique at the fashion industry and how the market fucks up art, but it's certainly geared towards a young audience.

You probably should get yourself into the mindset of a kid in order to enjoy it. There's plenty to like about it.

Apple fanboys project fallacy as reality for the sake of looking better.

The worst pony fans could do is buy McDonalds toys.

Jenga

Banned
Kirbyguy said:

you haven't seen the worst pony fans could do

you haven't seeeeeeen

Jenga

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Rule 34 exists for a reason.
while masturbating to anthropomorphic ponies is pretty bad, I'd say going out and buying MLP panties to show off to the internet is far worse

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jenga said:
while masturbating to anthropomorphic ponies is pretty bad, I'd say going out and buying MLP panties to show off to the internet is far worse

Some of the stuff I've seen at Gaming side is just as bad.

Jenga said:
I know better to ask where you've seen this happen but... you've got to hand it to a guy to be able to walk into a store and take a pair of my little pony underwear to the counter without giving a single fuck.

Parts said:
...oh come on, they can't be THAT bad. Link to some entertaining fan battle?
I don't think arguments were quite what he was referring to.

Kirbyguy said:

Oh I definitely seen it, and it's no worse than what everyone else does. Give us pictures. Whether you deed to em or not is an entirely different topic.

Jenga

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Some of the stuff I've seen at Gaming side is just as bad.
no, I'm pretty certain the MLP community is one of the worst things I've ever seen

Somethingawful actually went and completely banned MLP from their boards.
God bless them.

It's a cute enough show and for Flash it's gorgeous (to be expected from Lauren Faust), but I have absolutely no idea why it's caught on to the extent it has online. It's still a show designed to sell toys to 6 year old girls with little else beyond pretty animation... The fact nearly every forum I go on now seems to have some percentage obsessed with it just baffles me.

Maybe I'm just put out by it moreso than usual because a memorial thread for Dwayne McDuffie on a certain board I sometimes visit got inappropriately spammed to hell and back with MLP crap for no particular reason.

tiff

Banned
Jenga said:
nSomethingawful actually went and completely banned MLP from their boards.
God bless them.
a Something Awful moderating decision is the last thing I'd use to prove a point.

not that I actually watch MLP.

Foxix Von

Just watched the posted episode and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It's probably the only thing I've ever seen with an EI rating that's actually exceeds being something moderately tolerable at best. I'll definitely watch more eventually.

Put me in the camp of "doesn't particularly care for the animation style." It's easy to see the talent of the people working behind it but it seems less like a style of choice rather than that's what's common and cost effective right now.

It is absolutely worth remembering that flash animation is almost always a matter of budget. It's not like doing pre-production for the show, they had the choice between using motion tweens or getting Miyazaki to personally draw all 29.97 frames per second.

The difference between a typical flash animated show and say... the new Thundercats animated by Madhouse is probably in the range of at least a million dollars per episode. If the choice is between flash animation and something animated overseas that moves like a 70s Hanna Babara cartoon, it certainly has its place in the industry, or at least until the next cost-saving measure has its own particular aesthetic that's hard to avoid.

Studio B does amazing work with flash and the designs support that style. The fact that Lauren Faust gets a credit as executive producer is for the betterment of low-budget, north-American produced commercial animation.

(I say all this as a tv flash animator myself, so I lack objectivity and this is probably boring to everyone else)

Suairyu

Banned
Astrosanity said:
It's a cute enough show and for Flash it's gorgeous (to be expected from Lauren Faust), but I have absolutely no idea why it's caught on to the extent it has online. It's still a show designed to sell toys to 6 year old girls with little else beyond pretty animation... The fact nearly every forum I go on now seems to have some percentage obsessed with it just baffles me.

Maybe I'm just put out by it moreso than usual because a memorial thread for Dwayne McDuffie on a certain board I sometimes visit got inappropriately spammed to hell and back with MLP crap for no particular reason.
You just described Transformers and He-Man, except those shows had terrible animation and no sense of self-awareness. People in their adulthood still love those shows, so why wouldn't they love a superior offering intended for the other sex?

(I love the He-Man movie, 'Secret Of The Sword'. I watch it once every couple of years)

Suairyu said:
You just described Transformers and He-Man, except those shows had terrible animation and no sense of self-awareness. People in their adulthood still love those shows, so why wouldn't they love a superior offering intended for the other sex?

(I love the He-Man movie, 'Secret Of The Sword'. I watch it once every couple of years)

But the newest Transformers and He-Man shows have pretty good animation and stories.

Just sayin'.

The animation in 'Secret of the Sword' is comparable to the original 'My Little Pony's I'd say(except the episodes that were outsourced to Japan, but that's because Filmation's production was always done domestically, for better or worse).

7Th

I didn't thought I'd ever feel like if LiveJournal had suddenly invaded GAF... outside of them GirlAge threads, I mean.

Anyway, Flash animation isn't inherently bad; see: SuperJail.

Jex

Suairyu said:
I see plenty of personality. And yeah, it isn't on the same level as Looney Toons or Ren and Stimpy, but that smoothness you describe is an unavoidable side effect of computer animation or animation with a high framerate.
Well I wouldn't really call it "unavoidable", isn't it more a matter of cost and time? Like when they used computer animation for the Iron Giant they tried to program 'flaws' into the animation so that it wouldn't look overly smooth. Or so says Paul Chapman.

Suairyu said:

Well then I guess just a case of different tastes then since I was never particularly into Transformers or He-Man either... Plus I figured most adults still into those shows have a certain nostalgia attached to them, which I can understand for MLP for some people... Yet surely not everyone who's obsessed with it online at the moment can attest to that? I was just describing my confusion over how it's caught on; not trying to put down people who do like the show (or trying to make a point of people enjoying a show probably intended more for the other sex; I loved PPG and still look back at it fondly for instance).

Also Superjail is indeed awesome, and probably the only Adult Swim show besides a select few others (Moral Orel, Harvey Birdman and Venture Bros.... I don't really count Space Ghost since it existed and was funnier before [as]) I ever got really into. It's a shame the maker's other show Robotomy was recently canceled; I don't think it got enough time to hit its stride like Superjail did.

Foxix Von

Jenga said:
no, I'm pretty certain the MLP community is one of the worst things I've ever seen

Somethingawful actually went and completely banned MLP from their boards.
God bless them.

Wait, what? What the heck is the story behind this?

Instro

Haha this is actually not half bad, watched the first episode earlier, I like the pink one but I dont remember her name. Apple Jack is also pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom