• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
Jexhius said:
Well I wouldn't really call it "unavoidable", isn't it more a matter of cost and time? Like when they used computer animation for the Iron Giant they tried to program 'flaws' into the animation so that it wouldn't look overly smooth. Or so says Paul Chapman.
I think part of that was because the animation was intended for 24fps film. Thing is, because of flash animation and TV, people have it into their heads that anything animated at more than 24fps (or, more typically, half that) is cheap. Even if intellectually they rationalise it isn't, they simply look at it and that's the reaction "this looks cheap". It's been called the "soap opera look" before because TV shows are filmed at 30fps, versus films at 24fps. See also: people on gaming side saying they prefer 30fps over 60fps because it looks "cinematic"

Once you get past the gut reaction of "smooth animation, Flash, cheap!" you can begin to appreciate the work.

SonicMegaDrive said:
But the newest Transformers and He-Man shows have pretty good animation and stories.

129775257589.jpg

Empty

just watched the first episode because of this thread. it was competently written, the voicework wasn't annoying and the animation is both gorgeous and very charming. the comedy isn't so good at times and it's not the powerpuff girls, the connection to which made me check it out, but i think i want to see more.

Jenga

Banned
werewolf2000ad said:
another reason why MLP is so unbelievably annoying, is all the image macros

they don't even make sense, they're all so forced

forced harder than lolcats

why are you people so terrible

Empty

Foxix said:
I'm sure this is a very awesome thread, however I'm not a member of SA and as such I can't see the lulz and am still clueless.

it's not an awesome thread as i was hoping. it's like 10 replies long. these are the only important ones.

Don't make any more My Little Pony threads. They've been nothing but problems, and I (and the forum admins) are tired of all the shit they bring with them.

Please don't complain here or send me PMs or AIM messages bitching about the decision. I don't care, and it won't change anything.

I gassed the MLP thread, I will gas any new MLP threads. If you complain to me in PM about it I will ban you. Thanks.

Jenga said:
another reason why MLP is so unbelievably annoying, is all the image macros

they don't even make sense, they're all so forced

forced harder than lolcats

why are you people so terrible

ivsdfsdfsdfndex.gif

Sorry, but I just find it utterly hilarious that 4chan and Something Awful, supposedly two of the internets most hardened hives of scum and villainy, are completely unable to cope with people liking a cute animated show about ponies. It's like they looked at that xkcd comic about Stephanie Meyer fans destroying 4chan and said to themselves "Hey, that's a good idea, but is there any way we could do it that would make us look even more absurdly insecure and immature?"

watatatow

Mod's posts from a /co/ thread:
some 4chan mod said:
We've gotten a LOT of consistent user complaint about MLP threads.

Instead of actual discussion, users are using them as avatars.

MLP threads are rampant on /b/ (multiple threads all day with the same content is not Random) and becoming more prominent on /a/, /tg/, /vp/. I've even seen a thread on /fit/.

Despite the fact that MLP fans claim to try keep them in one thread, it's not working, and users aren't happy.
some 4chan mod said:
Also, what's with all of you MLPfans being from Eastern Europe and Russia?

Local cartoons suck so much that your definition of good is warped?
http://archive.no-ip.org/co/thread/23865599

Foxix Von

Empty said:
it's not an awesome thread as i was hoping. it's like 10 replies long. these are the only important ones.

Ah thanks!

So basically they just banned it because...? They just found it annoying? Weird, but no weirder than any of the other crap that's been stopped on this forum. :lol

Koomaster

Foxix said:
Ah thanks!

So basically they just banned it because...? They just found it annoying? Weird, but no weirder than any of the other crap that's been stopped on this forum. :lol
Seems they banned it because trolls would sometimes come into the thread and call everyone pedos and this somehow caused a 'huge problem'. So instead of banning the occasional troll, they just close the whole thread. o____O

They (mod haters) were just looking for an excuse to close the thread. Dumb as hell since people were spending money buying avatars every week and other things. Way to shut down a good source of income to the site.

Anyways this show is amazing; better than the other pony reboots. I have been a MLP fan since I was a kid; used to collect all the ponies and their playsets so I'm glad that the show is getting a decent treatment and surprising following of fans. The youtube demographics of the episodes are showing it's mainly being watched by males 18+; that's pretty cool.

Clevinger

Jenga said:
MLP fans act like MLP fans (annoying shits), mods get tired of it and ban them.

pretty simple

Yeah, I don't like this show at all, but that's not true. People would come into the thread every couple minutes and post "You faggots" or "All you guys are pedos" or whatever, and those guys would get banned. The mods got tired of having to do that so often, so they closed it and banned the topic.

Acid08

Banned
yencid said:
some people dont like the look (which i dont understand why)

yencid said:
gaf is an internet forum like any other. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. why is that so hard to understand?

Some people have different opinions. Is it that hard to understand?

Jenga

Banned
Clevinger said:
Yeah, I don't like this show at all, but that's not true. People would come into the thread every couple minutes and post "You faggots" or "All you guys are pedos" or whatever, and those guys would get banned. The mods got tired of having to do that so often, so they closed it and banned the topic.
works either way :3

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
MAN, I was working on a MLP:FiM OT, but someone got the upper hand, now THAT's frustrating.

Now, to address all the people who, obviously, aren't getting what all the fuss is about.

"My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" (MLP:FiM) is the latest animated show based on the popular "My Little Pony" (MLP) franchise by Hasbro. It airs on Fridays on Hub, Hasbro's propaganda outlet.

This show premiered on October 2010, and is helmed by Lauren Faust, creator of "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends", animator for "The Iron Giant", writer for "Powerpuff Girls", and wife of PPG's creator Craig McCracken.

Why you should care about this

Everybody knows that MLP is geared at little girls, and the main objective of the animated shows has always been to advertise the line of toys, by shoving as many colorful ponies in saccharine situations down the viewer's throats as possible. However, not every iteration of the show has been the same. In the 80's, the first show had a relatively well thought-out fantasy setting and interesting conflicts. The 90's political correctness mania, however, combined with retarded mandates from corporate idiots, turned the next few iterations into inane drivel unwatchable by anyone except little girls with undeveloped taste.

Fans of the original show, however, kept it in their fond memories of the decade of awesome cartoon shows, in the image of what has happened with many 80's properties. Lauren Faust is one of these people.

When she was offered the job of producing a new MLP show, she jumped at this chance with the intention of bringing back that long-lost dignity to the franchise, and reviving a concept that had been almost dead and buried since the 80's: a show geared at young girls that is watchable and enjoyable by anyone, including adults. Something in the spirit of the original MLP show, mixed with elements from PPG and Foster's, bringing to the table the following ingredients:

- A compact cast of easily identifiable, likeable characters, following certain archetypes but with surprisingly multi-layered personalities.
- A world with well-defined rules and mythology.
- Simple but well-written stories revolving around the theme of "friendship". This may seem somewhat limiting, but allows for relateable and realistic conflict between characters that can be resolved within the 22 minutes of each episode.
- Excellent voice acting for every. Single. Character.
- Extremely appealing character designs and surprisingly fluid and detailed flash animation, particularly for character expressions.
- Great comedy sense, with cartoon wackiness mixed in with surprising references to other shows and popular culture (nothing too obtrusive, don't worry).
- Morals that are transmitted in a way that doesn't feel like getting hit with a stick in the head, and that apply to adults as well as children.
- A lack of the cynicism that seems to infect most pop culture these days. This is a genuinely good-natured show, and a welcomed change of climate to those tired of the rudeness and nastiness that is pervasive in almost everything we see on TV.

I think all of these factors would be enough to let anyone who can overcome an hypothetical aversion to the colour pink to give it a shot, and maybe come out surprised at liking a show aimed at young girls and featuring talking ponies.

Who are these ponies?

The main cast is composed of six female ponies who live in the town of Ponyville:

Twilight Sparkle - The Nerd
An unicorn originating from the Equestrian capital of Canterlot, Twilight is a somewhat anti-social pony who would very much rather spend her time reading books alone than hanging out with friends. This changes a little after she undertakes the mission of researching about friendship, given to her by her mentor, Princess Celestia. Because of her intelligence, she tends to get somewhat snarky when her opinion clashes with someone else's, and although her great organization skills make her a natural leader, she is prone to breaking under pressure or when reality contradicts her theoretical knowledge. Twilight has amazing magic potential, and is our "point of view pony", a sane counterpoint to all the weird stuff that happens in her world.

Applejack - The Country Pony
Applejack is all about business. This earth pony is in charge of her family's apple orchard, and is a hard-working equine who will do anything to gain an extra (honest) buck. She might not be the most intelectually-inclined of ponies, but she can always find a moment to help her friends, and is the go-to pony in Ponyville for any physical tasks, as she is probably the best athlete in town. Despite this, Applejack is stubborn as a mule, and has trouble admitting when she needs help herself. Her messy, straight-talking, no-frills nature sometimes puts her at odds with other, more prim ponies, but her diligent nature makes her one of the most respected ponies in town.

Rainbow Dash - The Hot-Shot
This pegasus pony has no shame about advertising her love affair with a female pony, and that pony is herself. A full-blown braggart, Rainbow Dash has, nevertheless, the skills to back it up - after all, she is probably the best flier in her town, if not in all of Equestria. Her dream is to belong to famed aerobatics team "The Wonderbolts", but nevertheless, her loyalty is devoted to her friends. Despite her bragging, Dash is very insecure when she knows she's being judged, but has little patience for anyone less bold than herself and is quick to judge them as useless. She is extremely brave, even in face of unfavorable odds, but tends to jump into danger without thinking things through.

Rarity - The Diva
Rarity's magic may be nowhere as strong as Twilight's, but this unicorn is all about talent. She's the artist of Ponyville, an eximious fashion designer and dress-maker, being the owner of her own atelier and shop. Rarity prides herself in being the most beautiful pony in Ponyville, and would be hard-pressed to show herself in public with a hair of her mane out of place, but her vanity is only surpassed by her generosity, as she will do anything to make sure that her friends look their best - even if it is against their wishes. Her perfectionism is strong to a fault, as she sometimes descends into obsessive-compulsive behavior if things aren't absolutely the way she thinks they should be.

Fluttershy - The Shrinking Violet
Despite being a pegasus pony, Fluttershy is as much of an opposite to Rainbow Dash as it can be imagined. She is extremely shy, as her name suggests, very sensitive and somewhat of a scaredy-cat, but all who get to know her recognize her enormous gentleness and talent to handle all kinds of animals. In fact, animals are the main trigger to dispel Fluttershy's bashfulness, as she gets very enthusiastic when she gets a chance to interact with them - and they, of course, love her too. Her fear of the unknown can be paralyzing, but she always ends up rising to the situation, specially when her friends are in danger, causing an hidden protecting instinct to reveal itself.

Pinkie Pie - The Joker
Pinkie Pie defies all explanation. Everybody knows that she loves to party, and is the most social pony in Ponyville, knowing absolutely everyone. But besides that, Pinkie Pie seems to be permanently possessed by sugar rush, showing constant hyperactivity and engaging in wacky hijinks, impromptu singing and seemingly nonsensical behavior that, nevertheless, ALWAYS has a method to it. She is a skilled baker who loves all kinds of sweets and works at the local bakery, but she'd much rather break the rules of physics and mistify all of her friends, all the while seeming to KNOW something that everyone else doesn't. Her frantic nature means that she sometimes doesn't get taken seriously, and she seems incapable of (or unwilling to) understanding metaphors and figurative speech. Must be seen to be believed.

... And I think this is it. Much could still be said about the main and side characters, and the universe in which the show takes place, but discovering is more than half the fun. I really recommend that you try, even if it is just to see what the fuss is all about. All the episodes can be found on Youtube, because Hasbro seems to like the attention (for now).

No links here, because someone warned me against it and I don't want to attract the wrath of Celestia (or the next worst thing).

Enjoy, and may we next talk to each other as bronies. :)

Koomaster

tiff said:
lol what does a pony show have to do with being a pedophile
Nothing. Just the belief that if you aren't following stereotypical male/female roles you are to be chided and put into your place by whatever insult necessary. We do it as kids and we do it as adults. Ridiculous. ~_____~

Koomaster

Myke Greywolf said:
Enjoy, and may we next talk to each other as bronies. :)
:Hoofshake:

I made an OP at another forum I post at, but no one was interested. :(
Least they didn't make fun of me for it. ^___^;;

Ah sucks man. Maybe the OP can edit the OP with that info and credit you. Nice work

There is a surprising amount of seeds on a popular P2P site, this show is really taking the web by storm.

Thought I may as well check it out to see what the fuss is about.

Retrocide

I watched the episode linked and...it wasn't what I expected in the least. It was actually pretty enjoyable, which is more then I can say about most shows these days.

That is an amazing op for a thread that may never exist. This thread is going about as well as I'd expect an OT for the show to go, so it may as well be edited into the op.

Foxix Von

Myke Greywolf said:
MAN, I was working on a MLP:FiM OT, but someone got the upper hand, now THAT's frustrating.

Now, to address all the people who, obviously, aren't getting what all the fuss is about.

"My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" (MLP:FiM) is the latest animated show based on the popular "My Little Pony" (MLP) franchise by Hasbro. It airs on Fridays on Hub, Hasbro's propaganda outlet.

*snip*

This is should probably just be edited into the OP with you credited for it. Then just ask a mod for a title change to alter golden to magic and add "OT" and wham there ya go.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
meltingparappa said:
That is an amazing op for a thread that may never exist. This thread is going about as well as I'd expect an OT for the show to go, so it may as well be edited into the op.

I'd be honoured to have the OP copy-paste my stuff into the first post, I already PM'd him/her about it. :)

Damn, it's actually pretty good. Though I can't really describe the weirdness I felt when the credits rolled and the My Little Pony theme tune came on :lol.

It's no Powerpuff girls but it has potential.

oh, so this is where that shit has been coming from. That's pretty funny.

The troll is to provoke thoughtless mind searing rage in people by posting these images, and the thing that gets me is it's like always effective in any online community. Of course, now people are becoming immunized through exposure and it's a matter of days before it becomes harmless.

Still, thought there had to be some cred behind those pictures, shoulda guessed McCracken would be lurking beneath the waves.

Foxix Von

I just watched the first episode... I think... I think I'm a fan now.

If you were to rewind time and tell my past self that I'd still be watching a magical girl show and my little ponies when I'm 20 I would have slapped you.

And yet here I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom