• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Green Mamba said:
I was curious where all the avatars were coming from and now I've watched five episodes. What the hell have you people done to me?

The penis repository is over there. You may wish to say your goodbyes now, while you are still sane.

Foxix Von

Green Mamba said:
I was curious where all the avatars were coming from and now I've watched five episodes. What the hell have you people done to me?

yqoWi.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Today's episode was godlike

especially the end

Grown up Spike & Rarity's nagging >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Foxix Von

ivedoneyourmom said:
Just finished todays episode: It's true, while Rarity might not all be our favorite pony, her episodes are the best.

Yeah... I hate to admit it but she's really growing on me. I might have to re evaluate my list if she keeps this up =/

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i gotta admit there's something incredibly refreshing about watching a show that is overloaded with cuteness and happy thoughts. i mean i stopped watching almost every showtime/hbo show because every single series would end on an out of nowhere shitty note. im gauranteed some good honest fucking group hugs and shit after a little pony ep.

the show is definitely for little girls but damn if it doesnt have a certain appeal for adults.

i feel like i just came out of the closet.

Foxix Von

-COOLIO- said:
i gotta admit there's something incredibly refreshing about watching a show that is overloaded with cuteness and happy thoughts. i mean i stopped watching almost every showtime/hbo show because every single series would end on an out of nowhere shitty note. im gauranteed some good honest fucking group hugs and shit after a little pony ep.

the show is definitely for little girls but damn if it doesnt have a certain appeal for adults.

We both love and accept you. Welcome!

But yeah it's definitely difficult to find some genuinely lighthearted, good entertainment. Especially in a show that is reminiscent of the goofy cartoons I grew up with. The latest episode was really good too. I'm starting to think most of Rarity's appeal is actually coming from what an AMAZING job her voice actress is doing.

ZoddGutts

Just came out of the closet. Yes I enjoy this show, hope my family and friends understand.

Anyways I like Fluttershy could anyone make an avatar of FlutteryShy for me? I wouldn't mind the gif below as an avatar without the ad.

G-Fex said:

Foxix Von

ZoddGutts said:
Just came out of the closet. Yes I enjoy this show, hope my family and friends understand.

Anyways I like Fluttershy could anyone make an avatar of FlutteryShy for me? I wouldn't mind the gif below as an avatar without the ad.

Haha, I was gonna use that same gif in the next avatar crop. I guess you get first dibs on it lol. Here ya go!

fc02k.gif

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
ivedoneyourmom said:
I was like "whaaa, Spike really DOES eat diamonds, that's hardcore".

Pinkie has so much fun!
And in a subtle way, they explain why dragons love treasure so much in their world. And then when I applied that thought process to all the movies I've seen and books I've read where dragons have hoards of treasure in their lair...

Cheerilee

ivedoneyourmom said:
Shidoshi; There might not be a DVD release, Lauren Faust the creator is pulling for us, but the show's primary goal, in the mind of Hasbro who bankroll it, is to sell little toys. Fortunately this means they don't care if people upload it to youtube, stream it live, or put it up for download.
If it can help others, I'll leave this here. I found it more convenient than Youtube.

Edit: Yeah, probably shouldn't post the links.

I can't believe I'm seriously leaning towards buying My Little Pony on DVD if it's ever available.

Foxix Von

watkinzez said:
Winter Wrap Up is the point where it fully clicked for me. That song. So heartwarming.

Strangely enough that episode didn't click with me at all... right away that is. After a while and watching that musical segment a few more times I've been waking up almost every morning with that bloody song in my head.

Edit: Ruby you might want to take down those links. While hasbro hasn't filed any infringement to youtube, GAF's pretty hardcore about copyrighted material links. You may want to check with a mod though as I suppose this could exist in some strange loophole. It's always best to stay on the safe side though.

Thinking about it, I'd gladly purchase preorder a bluray set.

Also the next batch of avatars is going to be EPIC.

KtSlime

Foxix said:
Strangely enough that episode didn't click with me at all... right away that is. After a while and watching that musical segment a few more times I've been waking up almost every morning with that bloody song in my head.

Edit: Ruby you might want to take down those links. While hasbro hasn't filed any infringement to youtube, GAF's pretty hardcore about copyrighted material links. You may want to check with a mod though as I suppose this could exist in some strange loophole. It's always best to stay on the safe side though.

Thinking about it, I'd gladly purchase preorder a bluray set.

Also the next batch of avatars is going to be EPIC.

^Sweet.

I'll remove my link too, I didn't think about the GAF rules, I was just thinking about the fact that Hasbro and Faust don't seem to mind.

Foxix said:
We both love and accept you. Welcome!

But yeah it's definitely difficult to find some genuinely lighthearted, good entertainment. Especially in a show that is reminiscent of the goofy cartoons I grew up with. The latest episode was really good too. I'm starting to think most of Rarity's appeal is actually coming from what an AMAZING job her voice actress is doing.

This is exactly what my sister has said and I agree. It's just good fun to be whimsical and carefree and watch something just the same.

Latest episode was AMAZINGLY funny, although I've noticed some fans complaining because it sends a "poor message" and encourages the ability to "fake cry". I feel like they missed the point entirely. Rarity was on the bottom of my favorites list, but damn, she was AMAZING in this episode.

Oh, as for "coming out" I've told a couple family members. I told my 13 Year Old half sister (where we haven't actually met yet, we've only chatted online so far) via texting

"Whatcha doin'?"
"Relaxing on my day off and watching My Little Pony. Yeah!"
"My Little Pony?! I hope you watching to tease it."
"No it's surprisingly good. Really"
"Wow... How old you are you?"
"Young at heart. You're never too old to enjoy ponies."
"lololololol"

And I told my mom. It's kinda easy and believable currently living with a sister who who was a big MLP fan back in the day, but my Mom certainly understood when I told her that it was simply a fun and surprisingly enjoyable show.

Been meaning to find the right time to tell my co-workers. I just love the idea of catching someone off guard with it. While I certainly don't care what they think, I'd want to make sure I get it across that it's an enjoyable show regardless of its toy-selling purpose, and not that I've become some crazy fanatic into collecting all sorts of girly MLP merchandise (I'd totally get a Derpy Doll/Plush if Hasbro released one though).

A couple links

I couldn't find the Ponychan thread, but someone screencapped a really heartwarming post where even Lauren Faust dropped by and offered a comment.

And new Radio interview with Tara Strong who seemed to be completely unaware of Bronies until she was told about it and is quite happy.
http://918thefan.com/2011/kanas-korner-interview-with-tara-strong/

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ruby_onix said:
I can't believe I'm seriously leaning towards buying My Little Pony on DVD if it's ever available.
Blu-Ray or bust. This show looks godly in HD, 100% crispy perfection. A good point of vector animation, I'd say.

-COOLIO- said:

As soon as you shake off the self-imposed guilt imposed by an entire life of people telling you that guys are not supposed to watch this kind of stuff, no matter how "right" it feels or how well written it is or how cool the characters are, you'll feel as relieved and refreshed as you'll ever be.

Like other things, just don't expect everybody to get it or even accept it. This shouldn't be something you have to hide, but don't flaunt it either.

This is a messagem from me to all closet bronies: It gets better. WAY better.

Choppasmith said:
Been meaning to find the right time to tell my co-workers. I just love the idea of catching someone off guard with it. While I certainly don't care what they think, I'd want to make sure I get it across that it's an enjoyable show regardless of its toy-selling purpose, and not that I've become some crazy fanatic into collecting all sorts of girly MLP merchandise (I'd totally get a Derpy Doll/Plush if Hasbro released one though).
I couldn't care less about my co-workers, which is appropriate as they don't care about me either. I have a Kirby amigurumi and some Lego Batman figures on my workstation, so I guess a small pony wouldn't raise too many eyebrows.

I passed the brony virus to my wife, so no problems there. I'm trying to subtly pass it to my friends, and they either got it and became bronies or simply find it amusing that I like the show, but it also helps that I don't keep douchy friends. Intolerance and narrow-mindedness, even if only manifested through mocking, are big friendship turn-offs to me.

Choppasmith said:
I couldn't find the Ponychan thread, but someone screencapped a really heartwarming post where even Lauren Faust dropped by and offered a comment.
When I read about the effect that this show seems to have on grown men, I'm remembered of Fluttershy's words on episode 2:

"Sometimes we all just need to be shown a little kindness."

Kindness is contagious, and this show is full of it. It's just that many people never get to realize all of this.

FoxSpirit

Yay, Bronies!!
I finally dare entering this thread, after fear of spoilers. Crazy, I tells you >.<
This show is just so awesome and heartwarming, dawwww.

Also, last episode bugged me and bugged me. Those Diamond dog voices were SO familiar.
Korgoth, same voice actors. Reminded me sooo much

So yay, welcome all fellow bronies. And Pinkie Pie, you so random :p
Really like Rainbow Dash too, despite her a bit overly competitive personality :-D

markatisu

pandaman said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbAT1wzS8U

and now, ponygaf can march upon starcraft 2 gaf.

I have seen a lot of mock pony trailers but that is hands down the best one. The lipsync is perfect and it even replicates events in the original SC2 trailer (like the Zerg circling Kerrigan vs the stampede circling pony)

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't understand how this series can be so popular...

My curiosity is killing me, I must watch a episode.

EDIT: Except I have no idea where to watch it, I don't have cable.

Foxix Von

BY2K said:
I don't understand how this series can be so popular...

My curiosity is killing me, I must watch a episode.

EDIT: Except I have no idea where to watch it, I don't have cable.

All the episodes are available on youtube and it's how I've been watching. :D The Hasbro ninja are seemingly turning a blind eye to the plethora of uploads on there. It's assumed that since the TV show is just a series of toy advertisements to them they're looking at the uploads as free advertisement.

There's enough of a following that episodes are generally uploaded the same day they come out too!

The series opens on a two parter that's very Sailor Moon-esque, and then after that immediately shifts gears into more of a pony themed cartoon sitcom. Just figured I'd give you a heads up that the initial pilot isn't representative of the series as a whole up til now.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I mean, the animation is great, voice acting is top notch, plot is simple but decent, it's funny.

Hasbro is up to something. This wasn't made for little girls only. They want to spread the word, and the word is... Pony.

Tinabina

ivedoneyourmom said:
So, did you guys enjoy it?

i was expecting it to have like hidden jokes for adults but it's just a kids show, i don't get the hype.
my daughter liked it and the ponies are cute, reminded me of my MLP toys when i was little but there's so many better cartoons.

KtSlime

BY2K said:
I mean, the animation is great, voice acting is top notch, plot is simple but decent, it's funny.

Hasbro is up to something. This wasn't made for little girls only. They want to spread the word, and the word is... Pony.

You can thank the show's creator, Lauren Faust for that. She is simply a brilliant artist and feminist, who thinks entertainment should be entertaining.

tinabina: there are a few pop cult references, not so much adult jokes because I think she was avoiding putting too much sexuality into the show, but you can see references/nods to Dr. Who, Blazing Saddles, Lord of the Rings, etc in the stories.

Alright I watched the first episode, and I don't get it. It's a great kids show, but there wasn't anything in there that appealed to me. Is there a specific episode or something I should watch that will make me understand what this is all about?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Shalashaska161 said:
Alright I watched the first episode, and I don't get it. It's a great kids show, but there wasn't anything in there that appealed to me. Is there a specific episode or something I should watch that will make me understand what this is all about?

Two of my favorite episodes are:
'Sonic Rainboom' and 'Swarm of the Century'

*shrug* everyone is different though.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Shalashaska161 said:
No, not really. But I honestly think if you go in biased with your head full of "why do I even watch this" in the first place, just looking for "adult" stuff which isn't there - it's simply no show for you. And I don't mean that in any offensive or insulting way.

Sounds stupid, but if you just open your heart and let those cute ponys in with as little prejudice as possible, you'll enjoy the show much, much, muuuuch more.

All those special things about MLP:FiM that sound totally crazy if you're not "in" will get lost on you otherwise, I fear ^^

Basically: If you try to resist dumb grinning when Pinkie is totally random, you're doing it wrong!

just watched the latest episode. really funny stuff. my favorite parts:

- pretty much anything pinkie pie said or did:
- "holy moly, that's a lot of hole-ies!"
- "wheeee!!!" when riding fluttershy down the hole, i lost it when that happened.
- rarity's "whining". it was hilarious because i know girls that are exactly like that.
- "grown up" spike scene was great.
- the dogs were pretty funny, too.

Arcipello

oh i really want a new avatar, and a MLP one would be awesome right now.... can someone cook up a small batch of GIF avatars for those wanting one? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom