• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My pain in the arse contacting MS support, might be funny to some....

Do we have a voting system for the worst post of the year? I want to vote this as the worst post of the year.

Have them cancel the damn transaction man

Does prima games have a strategy guide for this.

Spoiler alert!
Don't pre-order anything! Epsecially through Microsoft! If anything goes wrong, their support can't provide any help.

That strategy will help you in all of your consumer interactions with Microsoft.

DR4il9F.gif

Harvey Weinstein just bought the film rights to this saga. Working title "Jesu & Jessie".

What's that smell? That's right, an Academy Award.

Dee Dee

In the first hour, you actually solved your problem.

It took 4 hours because you kept arguing with them.

I work in customer support, and let me tell you: "I want to speak to your supervisor" = "I would like to argue about the same shit for another 2 hours".
I have no idea why people do that to themselves.

And then of course "I want to be compensated for the time I spent uselessly argueing with you over things that can't be changed".

I skipped some parts, but did you threaten to sue them at some point too? Because man, that poor CS girl, I hope she went home, had chicken dinner, and barely escaped depression from getting this call every day...

I had "Authorization Failed" on the Windows Store as well, took me ~hour to get solved while being sent to every god damn department without anyone being able to resolve it.

MS is utterly incompetent at taking my money, and I was a minute off just saying "fuck it, you ain't worth my cash". But hey, only took ~30sec for pre-paid purchase until I had my game ready for download.

For some percentage of users, transactions fail for no discernible reason; it's probably an issue with their system. No department is going to be able to fix your issue -- they're not trained for that situation and wouldn't understand the relevant information if it was exposed to them.

When these things happen, just ask for a refund and try again.

How did I solve it?
Refund I should have had straight away I think.

[Digital/debit card/credit card] Refunds never take effect immediately, have you never received a refund before?

Raiden

Banned
I cant believe i actually read that. While im on vacation with my girlfriend naked in bed next to me. Just fix your card man fuck.

TL; DR: OP used insufficient MS points balance to preorder Forza 3 in June so it got declined when the system actually went to charge him on Sept 14. He thought he used his Visa, which had enough credit and was a valid card as proved by him buying a cheap game during the FOUR HOUR CHAT. OP kept arguing semantics and demanding compensation for being a cranky dick.

OP deserves 50% of the blame for overall attitude, MS support 25% for not realizing he preordered with MS balance instead of his Visa card, which would have reduced the chat time from FOUR HOURS to FOUR MINUTES, and MS' shitty systems processing 25% for allowing a preorder from an insufficiently-funded balance (when factoring in the full price).

Someone can do a TL; DR for my TL; DR.

TL; DR: OP used insufficient MS points balance to preorder Forza 3 in June so it got declined when the system actually went to charge him on Sept 14. He thought he used his Visa, which had enough credit and was a valid card as proved by him buying a cheap game during the FOUR HOUR CHAT. OP kept arguing semantics and demanding compensation for being a cranky dick.

OP deserves 50% of the blame for overall attitude, MS support 25% for not realizing he preordered with MS balance instead of his Visa card, which would have reduced the chat time from FOUR HOURS to FOUR MINUTES, and MS' shitty systems processing 25% for allowing a preorder from an insufficiently-funded balance (when factoring in the full price).

tl;dr -- Never pre-order.

chadskin

This is what millenials will do when they're old and have no one to talk to.

They go on the interwebs and chat with customer services for hours on end.

Calvero

Banned
she was hitting on you op. literally saying she wants to call and all you say is "k"

I might get ripped to shreds here but these threads are kind of funny to me when they happen to someone else!
Huge transcript though....
Hard as fuck to read...
She jumped in at the end and ended the conversation!
Dude I'm on with now said the pre-order hasn't been cancelled, she said it has...

Jessie K.
Hi, thanks for visiting Xbox Support! I'm Jessie K..
20:38
Me
Hi, I am having trouble paying for my Forza Horizon 3 pre-order
20:39
Jessie K.
Good day D!
Jessie K.
Sorry, good evening!
Jessie K.
And yes, thanks for sharing your concern with me.
Jessie K.
Let's work together here so that we can then isolate the issue.
Me
ok
Jessie K.
Allow me to pull up your account for me to check its details. I believe you are referring to the ***@hotmail.com - Sir Funkified account, yes?
20:40
Me
that's me yes
20:40
Jessie K.
Thanks for confirming that. Let me verify a few things here so that we can then proceed with the appropriate steps to take.
20:41
Jessie K.
When was the game preordered?
20:41
Me
17th june
20:42
Jessie K.
Thanks! Checking your account details now. Please bear with me.
20:43
Jessie K.
I appreciate your patience.
20:44
Me
no problem
20:44
Jessie K.
I do see here that you have indeed preordered the game, Forza Horizon 3 Ultimate Edition, on Jun 17, 2016 for 79.99 GBP.
20:45
Jessie K.
However, the payment wasn't successfully collected as I'm seeing an "Authorization Failed" prompt on the transaction.
Me
yes
Jessie K.
And that could be the reason why you can't access the game as of the moment.
Me
yes but why would it fail?
20:46
Jessie K.
This is actually common to those with invalid or expired payment option tied to the preorder.
Jessie K.
Or your bank hasn't authorized the card for this preorder.
Jessie K.
Let me show you the transaction and help you correct it.
Jessie K.
Shall we proceed?
Me
The payment option is fine, I use it all the time
Me
yes proceed
Jessie K.
Please sign in to your account at the online site, https://billing.microsoft.com
20:47
Me
I'm there already
Jessie K.
On the page, please go to "Payment & Billing" then select "Order/Purchase History"
Jessie K.
From there, please locate the purchase on June 17, 2016.
20:48
Me
got it
20:48
Jessie K.
Thanks! What are your options shown there, if I may ask?
20:49
Jessie K.
Are you shown the option to "Change how you pay?"
20:50
Me
Change How You Pay, but the only option is my Visa card. I'd like to use my MS account balance to pay £64.64 and then the rest off my Visa card
20:51
Jessie K.
I see. Thanks for bringing that up. Is there a drop-down shown as you select "Change how you pay" and then see the "Pay with (payment option)" section?
20:53
Me
Yes but only Visa is in the drop down, I would use paypal but that doesn't show in the drop down
20:54
Me
when I choose Visa and click next it says "We couldn’t update your order to use Visa as backup. Waiting a bit might help.
20:54
Jessie K.
Alright. Are you shown the option to preorder the content as you go to the preorder site here ?
20:56
Me
It says "You own this"
20:57
Jessie K.
Yeah that's what I also thought. As the preorder license is on your account. It's just the payment that has failed.
20:58
Jessie K.
To be totally honest with you, this case has been raised from our end and that we have just gotten the workaround recently.
Jessie K.
And that is via updating card which can only be done from your end.
Me
there is nothing wrong with the card
20:59
Me
I used it for EA access in August
20:59
Me
hello
21:01
Jessie K.
I'm just here. Please give me a few minutes as I have our case raised from my end
21:01
Jessie K.
And from what I'm seeing here, it's actually the Microsoft Account balance that's initially tied to your preorder.
21:02
Jessie K.
The rest is paid with the attached payment option, which has declined the payment.
21:03
Jessie K.
Which is why it's showing up as authorization failed or "Payment failed" from your end.
Jessie K.
I understand that the card may not have any issues but I would still suggest that you check it with your bank or payment provider for clarification and/or authorization.
Me
can I not use paypal then?
21:04
Jessie K.
Oh you may. It's just strange why it's not showing up from your end.
21:05
Jessie K.
Are you shown the option to "Add a payment option?"
Me
yes and paypal is already there when it takes me to the next page
Jessie K.
Oh alright. So to confirm, are you able to update the payment option using the PayPal account?
21:06
Me
No I can't choose it.Add a payment option just takes me to the Payment Option page.my paypal account is there but there is no way to choose it
21:08
Jessie K.
I see that. How about the option to "Fix (payment option)?"
21:09
Me
There is now Fix Payment option. Whilst we were talking I have just used my Visa card to by a game btw there was no problem with that game
21:10
Jessie K.
Yes, the "Fix (payment option)" shows up for those who are doing the split payment purchase (pay with local currency + a card/PayPal).
21:12
Jessie K.
And thanks for the additional information.
21:12
Me
Ctrl F - Fix, there is no fix payment option on any of the pages I have open
21:13
Jessie K.
Are you then shown the option to use your other card when you select "Fix (payment option)?"
21:13
Jessie K.
The "Fix (payment option)" is shown under your preorder.
21:14
Jessie K.
So please open your preorder for the details.
21:14
Jessie K.
Under Order History, that is.,
21:15
Me
I have Payment Failed, Change How You Pay no Fix Payment option
21:15
Jessie K.
What happens next as you select "Payment Failed?"
21:18
Me
Payment Failed isn't clickable, only change how you pay is
21:19
Jessie K.
Okay please reload the page and retry the "Change how you pay" option.
21:20
Jessie K.
Let me know how it goes, please.
21:20
Me
I have a Pay With option, I can only choose Visa there. When I choose it it says We couldn’t update your order to use Visa ** as backup. Waiting a bit might help.
21:21
Jessie K.
Thanks for the update D. Please give me a few minutes as I have our case raised from my end. I just want to make sure that I get to provide you with the most appropriate resolution on this one.
21:22
Me
ok thanks
21:23
Jessie K.
My pleasure!
21:23
Jessie K.
I'm still on our case. Please give me more time.
21:30
Me
ok....
21:30
Jessie K.
Hi, D.
21:36
Jessie K.
I thank you for your patience.
Me
hi!
Jessie K.
I have actually had our case raised from my end and I have confirmed that the PayPal account can't be used to complete a preorder. I do apologize for the confusion.
21:37
Me
ok
Jessie K.
As to the prompt that we get "We couldn’t update your order to use (payment option) as backup. Waiting a bit might help."
Jessie K.
That means the card may not have enough balance to complete the purchase, or the specific transaction isn't authorized by your bank.
Jessie K.
What I would best recommend is that we either use a different card or to add local currency to your account for the preorder to be completed with the use of the local currency.
21:38
Jessie K.
Your thoughts, please?
21:39
Me
there is plenty of money on the card and as you can see I can still use it to buy games, I believe the problem is your end not mine.
21:39
Me
how would I add local currency to my account?
21:40
Jessie K.
Actually, it isn't the current state of the card that may be affecting this. Instead, it's when the system attempted to charge the card wherein it was declined that caused the transaction to fail.
21:41
Jessie K.
You may purchase a prepaid gift code from the Microsoft store or your local retailer.
21:41
Jessie K.
To getting a local currency for your account, that is.
21:42
Jessie K.
But I would like to try one thing here.
Jessie K.
That is to remove your card from the account and re-add it from your end.
Jessie K.
Shall I proceed?
Me
can I do that when I have my EA Access subscription using it?
Jessie K.
Yes, I can temporarily switch the payment option tied to your EA Access with the PayPal option.
21:43
Jessie K.
May I proceed?
21:43
Me
ok, are you removing it and I'll re-add it?
21:44
Jessie K.
Yes, you're correct.
Jessie K.
I'm now removing the card.
Me
go for it
Jessie K.
One moment, please.
Jessie K.
Hi thanks for your patience.
21:45
Jessie K.
Please sign out and then sign back in to your account.
21:45
Me
right, hang on
21:46
Jessie K.
Then recheck the transaction and see what your current options are now that the tied card has been removed.
Jessie K.
I'll just be here, D. Thanks!
Me
My only option is to add a payment method, I shall do that?
21:47
Jessie K.
Yes, please.
21:48
Jessie K.
Let me know how it goes, please.
21:48
Me
Same again, "We couldn’t update your order to use Visa ** as backup. Waiting a bit might help."
21:50
Jessie K.
For that matter, D, I can then best recommend that we use a different payment option for the preorder.
21:51
Jessie K.
By the way, is your PayPal account tied to a credit card?
Me
yes, it's tied to the same Visa card
Jessie K.
I see. Please use a different card at this point or a Microsoft account local currency to pay the full price of 79.99 GBP.
21:53
Me
once i add the local currency to my account, how do I go about paying for the pre-order?
21:53
Jessie K.
That's through the same process, D. "Change how you pay" option that is.
21:54
Jessie K.
I would really like to walk you all throughout the process. Shall we proceed with purchasing a Local currency while you have me here on chat? I can go ahead and process that for you.
21:55
Jessie K.
If you would opt to, that is.
Me
yes do that please, I can't find it on the MS store
Jessie K.
In case the same issue persists, though, I may then have to have our case further investigated, which would take around 24-48 hours, just a heads up.
Me
ok
Jessie K.
Sorry about the inconvenience this may have brought you though.
Me
no worries
21:56
Jessie K.
Surely this isn't the situation I wish you to experience here on Live.
Jessie K.
And yes, I'm pulling up my tools here for the purchase.
Me
no, i thought it would be fixed quicker than this!
Me
:)
Jessie K.
Yeah sorry about that. This actually only happens when the card has declined the payment. The local currency is alright on your account. But I find it strange as well that your current card is good yet it isn't being accepted by the system.
21:57
Me
it's the new store no doubt
21:58
Jessie K.
Yeah I appreciate you bearing with me on this one.
21:58
Jessie K.
I truly respect your dedication as well.
21:59
Me
thanks
21:59
Jessie K.
You're welcome! Okay so we have here 10GBP, 25GBP, and 50GBP gift codes.
22:00
Jessie K.
Which one would you like to purchase, if I may ask?
Me
I'll buy 2 £10s
Jessie K.
Sure thing!
22:01
Jessie K.
Please give me a moment.
22:01
Jessie K.
Okay so the total price would be 20GBP for two (2) 10GBP Xbox Digital Card.
22:03
Me
ok
Jessie K.
You would like the order to be processed under your ***@hotmail.com account, yes?
Me
yes it needs to be
Jessie K.
Thank you for the confirmation.
22:04
Jessie K.
I may have to call you for the card details.
22:05
Jessie K.
Due to the sensitivity of the information, we can't ask for it here on chat, you see
22:05
Me
right, do you have the phone number?
22:06
Jessie K.
Not yet. Please provide me your phone number here on chat.
22:06
Me
01772 ******
22:07
Jessie K.
Thank you! Please give me more time.
Me
k
Jessie K.
About to call you now. Thanks for your patience.
22:09
Me
k
22:09
Jessie K.
Hi!
22:16
Me
I'm back!
Jessie K.
Thanks for accepting my call.
Jessie K.
The order is currently being processed. I'll let you know once it's completed.
Me
ok
Jessie K.
You may go get yourself a refreshment while I work on our case.
Me
will do
22:17
Jessie K.
Hi thanks for your patience.
22:18
Jessie K.
I now have completed the order.
Me
cool
Jessie K.
Your order confirmation number is ***********
Jessie K.
Your receipt has been sent to ***@hotmail.com
Jessie K.
As well as both the digital gift codes.
Jessie K.
I can also send it to you here on chat.
Jessie K.
Shall I proceed?
22:19
Me
yes, and i will redeem the codes on xbox.com?
Jessie K.
Yes, you are correct.
VP4WW-2NQ2H-DKKRX-C97DW-J8DJ2
N3QKX-G4XX9-PP29H-VQR6B-X4QJ2
Jessie K.
There you go!
Jessie K.
You may redeem it either through the console or the online site:
Jessie K.
https://live.xbox.com/redeemtoken
22:20
Me
i'll do it the website just now
Jessie K.
Sure, thanks! I'll just be here.
Me
Right, both of those are added.
22:21
Jessie K.
Thank you!
22:22
Jessie K.
Please reload the https://billing.microsoft.com page and check the transaction.
22:23
Me
still says Payment Failed
22:23
Jessie K.
Yes, are you able to use the "Change how you pay" and/or the "add a payment option" using the local currency?
22:24
Jessie K.
As your account now has enough balance to settle the preorder charge of 79.99 GBP.
22:25
Me
Yes I can see I now have £84.64 but not a way to use that for the purchase, the pay with drop down option is still just Visa
22:26
Jessie K.
Thanks for the details you have provided me. Please give me a few minutes to verify this.
22:28
Jessie K.
Hi, D. I really appreciate your patience and cooperation with me.
22:31
Me
ok...
22:31
Jessie K.
I now have raised our case from my end for the pre-order cancellation. I would like to confirm to you that the preorder cancellation is within 3 days before the release date so what we'd best advise is that you retry the preorder 3 days before the release date.
22:32
Jessie K.
As an assurance that we are monitoring on your case, I have documented what we have discussed here on chat and wrapped it all up on this Service Request number: **********
22:33
Jessie K.
Should you need further assistance or clarifications regarding this matter, you may contact us back and provide us that reference number.
Me
so what should i do? you will cancel my present pre-order and then what
Jessie K.
Yes, I would like to explain to you as well that the reason why the current transaction isn't accepting any of your valid cards anymore is that it has tried to charge the current card 3 times already. Therefore, there is a need to cancel the current preorder, which may take 24-48 hours to be completed, and complete another game preorder.
22:35
Jessie K.
So in 3 days, you can then complete the game preorder.
22:36
Me
using the credit on my account?
Jessie K.
Yes, please.
Jessie K.
Know that the process we’re on is the most effective and efficient resolution to your concern.
Jessie K.
D, I thank you for allowing me to explain this to you and direct you to the most appropriate resolution. Have I addressed all your concerns for today?
22:37
Jessie K.
Remember: Jessie here, at your service!
22:37
Me
yes I suppose, until I can get the game pre0ordered...
22:38
Jessie K.
I understand that this process may bring inconvenience to you, however, I do assure you that all the information I have provided you is accurate.
22:39
Jessie K.
Now that we got this sorted out, are there any other questions I can answer for you?
Jessie K.
I'll just be here, ready and willing to help!
Me
do I get any recompense for the 2 hours out of my night this has taken? which we both know isn't really my card's fault as it has worked twice fine during this 2 hour chat.
22:40
Jessie K.
As much as I would love to, D, I'm afraid I don't have the option to do that. As to the card that's originally tied to the preorder, it's not the current state the resulted to the authorization failure but the time when the preorder was to be settled for 3 times already.
22:44
Jessie K.
That is why there is a need to complete another game preorder.
22:44
Jessie K.
Once again, I do apologize for the inconvenience this may have brought you. To prevent this from happening in the future, please associate it with a valid card which is assured to be settling the balance 10 days prior the release date of the said preordered content.
22:45
Jessie K.
As of the moment, will there be any other questions I can answer for you aside from this?
22:45
Me
the card works, we both know it works, why my pre-order didn't go through isn't my fault.The fault lies at your end.The card is valid, you know it is valid, you just used it to buy 2 £10 gift cards, I just used it to buy a game I didn't want just to prove it worked.I'm not happy about this.
22:46
Me
if the card wasn't valid it wouldn't have worked twice during this 2 hour chat
22:47
Jessie K.
I appreciate you sharing to me your thoughts. D, I would just like to clarify that it isn't the current status of the card that declined the transaction.
22:48
Jessie K.
It was when the card was attempted to be charged on Sep 14, 2016 twice wherein it wasn't settled.
Jessie K.
That's when the card was declined.
Jessie K.
Although we can confirm that the card is now in good standing, it can't be used to settle the pending balance due to the declines on Sep 14.
22:49
Jessie K.
Even with the local currency tied to your account.
Jessie K.
Although we have indeed purchased a local currency with the attempt to settle the pending balance, you can still use the local currency to purchase the full amount.
Jessie K.
Which you have agreed to prior to completing the purchase.
22:50
Me
The card was fine on the 14th of September too, nothing has changed since then.There was more than enough money in the bank on the 14th of eptember.If it was declined on the 14th of september that was on your end too.
22:50
Me
I don't appreciate you blaming my card in this instance
22:52
Jessie K.
I understand that it has not been a very pleasant experience for you, however, I would request you to offer another chance so that I can then assist you. The card may have worked now that we have tried it or that it may have enough balance however, I may still have to advise that you contact your bank or payment provider for this as they are responsible for authorizing the payments that comes out your bank account.
22:54
Jessie K.
If the payment option has indeed been authorized for the preorder, of course the preorder would have gone through.
Jessie K.
But it didn't.
Jessie K.
That is why there is a need to have this verified from your bank or payment provider.
22:55
Jessie K.
From there, you will see all the declines and the reason why the transaction's declined.
22:55
Jessie K.
Which can also be shown from both our ends.

what a story

demigod

No this is wrong. He preordered with his ms balance which wasn't enough and then his card on file should've kicked in. It didnt kick in and Jessie K was blaming his bank for refusing the payment.

Then he says Jessie K went ahead and canceled the preorder and he can try again 3 days later with the now sufficient ms funds. But after his chat ended with the manager, he spoke to a new rep and that rep said preorders cannot be canceled. So yeah both Jessie and Melly didnt know what they were doing and wasted 4hour of his time. Thats why he wanted compensation!

Yes i read most of that shit, lol.

Reallink

Serious question for people who've worked/managed support, why do they make you guys do all the fake pleasantries and feigned concern? Do the people writing the scripts and training really think people are stupid enough to believe it's authentic? There can't exist a single customer who doesn't just just roll their eyes at it or do a silent "why the fuck you wasting my time" sigh?

Jamex RZ

Banned
I work in customer support, and let me tell you: "I want to speak to your supervisor" = "I would like to argue about the same shit for another 2 hours".

And then of course "I want to be compensated for the time I spent uselessly argueing with you over things that can't be changed".

I skipped some parts, but did you threaten to sue them at some point too? Because man, that poor CS girl, I hope she went home, had chicken dinner, and barely escaped depression from getting this call every day...

Yep, you only realize how stupid people are once you work on customer service. Countless times I offered quick painless solutions, but all people want is argue over stupid things. This thread is so idiotic. OP would have the solution right away, but yada yada yada complain and argue. Worst thread I've read so far lol.

Jamex RZ

Banned
OP refused to accept that his card was declined; argued 4 hours about it.

And didn't even contact his bank, which is the right thing to as thy can see the real reason for the decline, as there are codes for them only financial institutions can see, what the merchant sees may not be accurate. At this point could automated security systems declining it due patterns, times of attempts etc. They can even authorize the transaction to finally go through. But no, argue and argue more.

demigod

OP refused to accept that his card was declined; argued 4 hours about it.

And didn't even contact his bank, which is the right thing to as thy can see the real reason for the decline, as there are codes for them only financial institutions can see, what the merchant sees may not be accurate. At this point could automated security systems declining it due patterns, times of attempts etc. They can even authorize the transaction to finally go through. But no, argue and argue more.

You guys might want to read his post with the 2nd rep where the rep said it NEVER tried to charge his card, only his ms funds.

Vex_

Banned
This is why people never read the OP. Too damn long.

I kept thinking there was a joke or something surprising coming up, but nope. Wtf was THAT?

You guys might want to read his post with the 2nd rep where the rep said it NEVER tried to charge his card, only his ms funds.
I did read that as well, and it definitely seems like there's some misunderstanding somewhere.

But the TL;DR is still the same. No need to argue about it for hours. Check with your bank, and/or accept it and move on.

jesu

My card is fine, I used it twice during the chat.
Rep was lying to me :(

madmackem

The op has nothing on me, I once had an Xbox 360 in for repair for six months, long story short all companies have good and very very very bad reps working the phone and chat lines.

Jessie K.
Hi, thanks for visiting Xbox Support! I'm Jessie K..
20:38
[...]
System
Chat has ended.
00:35

I would have just went to work for 4 hours and make more than the money lost back.

Edit: Oh wait. This was 4 hours spent to pay for a preorder? haha, that's even worse...

kpaadet

Came expecting something funny, instead it was just some guy spending 4 hours of his life with customer support.

Newt

I feel like it's more OP at fault than MS support. That being said, MS support quality varies vastly with who you get.

BibiMaghoo

I have on more than one occasion, had a problem resolved by a supervisor after being blown off by regular support, simply because the supervisors have had greater authority to actually make a different decision not on a script. This is why people do it, because it often works. Sometimes they don't and so just repeat shit in a sterner way, but it's always worth a shot if you are not getting anywhere in my experience.

Came expecting something funny, instead it was just some guy spending 4 hours of his life with customer support.

Sort of thread where I just skip to the replies to make out what's happening and hopefully read some funny posts to salvage something out of it.

Top Bottom