• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Xevren

I shipped my xbox over 3 weeks ago and they haven't even repaired it yet to even ship it out. So if it's gotten faster its news to me :p

Xevren said:
I shipped my xbox over 3 weeks ago and they haven't even repaired it yet to even ship it out. So if it's gotten faster its news to me :p
Are you sure UPS didn't lose it... because that sort of timescale is seriously unusual these days.

Xevren

Microsoft has it, they got it in 2 days since it was overnighted. I called them to see what the hold up was and they said it's just sitting on the dock.

Xevren

U.S. I live in Missouri. They just now emailed me saying its fixed and on its way back. This is the 6th time it's died on me and each time it's taking longer and longer to get it back.

JB1981

Another 360 down.

I think this is either my 3rd or 4th that has gotten the Red Ring of Death. Good thing I got a warrantee thru Best Buy.

Unbelievable.

stewacide

My first red ring!!! (E74 technically)

I noticed random pixel junk showing up about an hour before it froze, but I was playing Oblivion so I figured it was just another glitch. Suppose that means the scaler or GPU kamakazied.

Bought the system May of last year. Waiting for them to send me the email to print off so I can get 'er shipped off.

My bros' Xbox also recently kicked it although he got his around Christmas '07 I believe.

Luixfern

What the hell Microsoft! I just go my 360 back from repair and when I shipped it out I had an apple sticker on it as well as a 360 one. Well, upon return those bastards peeled off the Apple sticker, but not the 360 one! Calling my lawyers!

ultim8p00

Banned
So so close to reviving my 360. I did the X-clamp fix but now I keep getting 2 red rings.

And what sucks is that the system boots up and shows the 360 ball logo thing, but then the fan just goes nuts and the system shuts down giving me two red lights. So so close man.

Has anybody else had this problem with X-clamp?

I finally got my shipping label after 2 weeks of waiting. I'm going to ship it off first thing tomorrow. I already quoted this console's info in the thread earlier and posted "2" in the other thread. Is there anything I missed that I need to do, Psychotext?
Alright, I received my replacement 360 today (10/22-08).

The console I received is a refurb; Manufactured: 6/10/07
Died 7/12/09

ultim8p00 said:
Yeah heatsink is on good, but the thermal paste keep spilling to the sides when I put the heatsink on. I'm gonna clean it up and see.
Sounds to me like you used too much. It should be a very thin layer.

got2bekidding said:
Is there anything I missed that I need to do, Psychotext?
You mean regarding the stats? No, that's enough info.

Ettie

ultim8p00 said:
Yeah heatsink is on good, but the thermal paste keep spilling to the sides when I put the heatsink on. I'm gonna clean it up and see.

I've never worked on a 360, but if you get that kind of spillage on a CPU heatsink you're using too much paste. This may not be the case for you, but I can't see how it would be any different.

ultim8p00

Banned
Ok, so if I put just a dot of paste on it, without spreading it out, then let the sink spread it by pressing it, would that be safe? I did that on my processor and it's working fine.

WARP10CK

Banned
Well I thought I might share the story of when I had my 360 RRODed not once not twice but FIVE times.

It was sending it in to customer support getting it back to customer support then after maybe a couple of days sending it back in AGAIN.

The people at the post office must have been wondering why the hell I keep sending the same sized package so often.

But then again I had the very first model of the 360 released I dont know I just never had so much problems with a gameconsole before, but anyway I got a newer model of the 360 the arcade I believe and that has worked fine for me no RROD.... yet.

ultim8p00

Banned
Okay, cleaned up and everything. 2 red rings are gone, 3 red rings is back. Now I just have to overheat it for 30 minutes. Wish me luck guys.

ultim8p00

Banned
SUCCESS!!!!! Although the screen looks pretty grainy. I suppose I should let it cool for a bit.

EDIT: It's odd though. The thing didn't stay on for 30 minutes. It ran for 10 minutes and overheated. Is that enough? It seems to be running fine...

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Well, mine shit out on me again...on 1 vs 100 of all things. This will be my fourth. I'm damn near ready to become a PS3 convert. DO YOU HEAR ME MICROSOFT, DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE MADE ME?!

I find it incredibly ironic how this thread is at the top of the page just as my Xbox red rings. Just bought it 3 weeks ago too. =( Microsoft really dropped the ball on the hardware side.

tegdf said:
My three year warranty ended in march, I just got the 3 RROD, so do I have to pay $140 for it to get repaired?

If you call them and politely threaten to cancel your Xbox Live service and buy a PS3 if they won't repair it for free, that might work. Although, they may offer to repair it for free, warranty notwithstanding, just so they don't have put to avoid the hassle.

And the repair fee these days is $94.

Zzoram

AnEternalEnigma said:
If you call them and politely threaten to cancel your Xbox Live service and buy a PS3 if they won't repair it for free, that might work. Although, they may offer to repair it for free, warranty notwithstanding, just so they don't have put to avoid the hassle.

And the repair fee these days is $94.

Ouch.

My 360 has been experiencing graphical glitches on occasion and had 3RRoD once a few months ago, but isn't consistently dead. I hope it permanently RRoDs before November so I can get it fixed one last time before my warranty is over.

After that, if it dies, I'll just wait for Xbox 360 Natal and buy an Arcade bundle (if it's $199 or less), reusing my 20GB harddrive.

tedtropy

Shalashaska161 said:
I find it incredibly ironic how this thread is at the top of the page just as my Xbox red rings. Just bought it 3 weeks ago too. =( Microsoft really dropped the ball on the hardware side.

2d7a33l.jpg

"That's not ironic, it's coincidental!"

Sorry, I'm just angry that my 360 shit out again...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
drizzle said:
Finally, it happened. Mine 3rl on me last month.

I did the towel trick, it works for a while and then freezes up again.

Turning it on and off, it eventually turned on, but the 3rl were blinking (while the 360 was working and i was playing crackdown).

Anyways, i took it somewhere else to do the xclamps mod.. Let's see how it turns out.

Add me up to the list. Bought it in november, died in july.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7278395&postcount=5060

Hey, my August 07 xclamp fixed zephyr died again on me yesterday. It went on for 2 years. That's not that bad.

I jsut turned it on and put on Golden Axe: Beast Rider (yeah, i know... :lol ) to see what the game was all about and why it was so bad, and the 360 froze up on me.
I turned it off, turned it on, it froze on the initialization video giving cracks and pops on the audio.

Tried to turn it on again, 3rl.

I'm taking it to the shop where they fixed it to see what is up. Same deal tho. 3rl and won't even boot to dash. If somebody asks, again, it's a imported 360 and the local Microsoft service wouldn't take it back then. They do now (i think), but it's already tampered with.

Mark another one for me on your fancy graphics (even tho it's still the same console...)

bigswords

Shalashaska161 said:

What's the hardware type (Falcon, Zephyr or Jasper), this is to allow Psychotext to keep track of the numbers.

tedtropy said:
Well, mine shit out on me again...on 1 vs 100 of all things. This will be my fourth. I'm damn near ready to become a PS3 convert. DO YOU HEAR ME MICROSOFT, DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE MADE ME?!
I think my stats are faulty. I have you down so that's your fifth....

September 2006
January 2007
August 2007
December 2007
July 2009

Which one of those is wrong?

1: Buy a Jasper model.
2: Leave your console on the dashboard for a while after you finish playing a game (before turning it off).
3: Ventilation space around the console.

Magik

Anony said:
any tips to prevent rrod

General tips:
- Don't place the 360 on a carpet
- Keep the 360 in a open, well ventilated space
- Install your games to avoid any heat generated by the drive
- Let the 360 run idle after playing

Modding tips:
- Replace the fans with a higher speed fan
- Remove X-Clamps

Lastly... pray.

PatzCU

Magik said:
General tips:

Modding tips:
- Remove X-Clamps

Lastly... pray.

Why let it run idle after playing?

Magik said:
General tips:

Modding tips:
- Remove X-Clamps

Lastly... pray.

If the unit RROD and you did any of those 2 last options,it means that you have to buy a new core,because MS will not take a 360 that has been open,for the 3 year warranty.

PatzCU said:
Because if you turn it off directly after playing a game, the fans stop and the processor temperature rockets. Hot and cold cycles are what causes (or so it seems) the solder to break down which then causes RRoD.

Anony

well, i have a falcon unit

in canada, a month back, they were selling the arcade units at 150 to clear out inventory for jasper units, so i jumped in
cost me 130 inc tax because i had a coupon

anyways, i bought some tool thing off dealextreme to open the 360 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6116
i was asking if i should replace the thermal paste with some arctic silver at some other forum, and was told not to
it's new, have warranty, i shouldnt open it right?

second opinions?

PatzCU said:

There's a video on YouTube that shows the internal temperature skyrocketing when the console is turned off straight from the game instead of going back to dashboard first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd0eDiehy8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BomWgPpycnc

Anony said:
well, i have a falcon unit

in canada, a month back, they were selling the arcade units at 150 to clear out inventory for jasper units, so i jumped in
cost me 130 inc tax because i had a coupon

anyways, i bought some tool thing off dealextreme to open the 360 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6116
i was asking if i should replace the thermal paste with some arctic silver at some other forum, and was told not to
it's new, have warranty, i shouldnt open it right?

second opinions?

Opening the console will bust your warranty. If you don't care, go for it.

PatzCU

Psychotext said:
It's only worth opening the console once it's out of warranty (3 years from the date you bought it).

I opened my console before the warranty expired to fix the DVD drive. The issue with some DVD drives having the magnet that keeps the drive shut actually magnetize to the top of the DVD drive casing :)lol ). Anyway, I didn't want to pay $99 for Microsoft to fix a fault design element. My 360 RRoD'd after that and they fixed it for free even though I had opened it. Not sure everyone would have the same luck though.

tedtropy

Alright, submitted my online repair request. Thankfully it's still under warranty. Threw this in as my problem description:

Console is flashing three red lights and has no display on TV...similar to the THREE 360s that broke before it. The power supply has a normal light and all the cables are working normally. The problem occurs with the hard drive connected or not. Problem occurs after disconnecting and reconnecting power supply. I really feel that I should get a free game, or controller, or SOMETHING for my frustration. Seriously, I'm about ready to become a PS3 owner. Don't let it come to that, Microsoft. Any help in getting this problem repaired is appreciated. Thank you.

Think I'm getting kicked to the back of the line? Oh well, I'm doing the towel trick on this piece of crap while I wait for my coffin to arrive...

wk1n9w.jpg
33aufxj.jpg

Well as you may remember I sold my PS3 in favor of an Arcade + starter kit. Ends up the HDD in my starter kit was defective. :lol :lol . I took the kit back to the store and they exchanged on spot. Got three free months of Live out of it, so I can forgive Microsoft for this one. :lol

Magik

Tormentoso said:
If the unit RROD and you did any of those 2 last options,it means that you have to buy a new core,because MS will not take a 360 that has been open,for the 3 year warranty.

Which is why I put them under "Modding Tips" since modding usually breaks the warranty to begin with.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Opening the console will bust your warranty. If you don't care, go for it.

Well, you can actually avoid breaking the seal by simply using a hairdryer to peel off the seal.

I have my 360 again and all is well in the world. I do have a question about XBLA downloads, though.

To play my copy of Peggle (or any other downloaded title) while not signed in, I have to download again. Will doing so erase the progress I've already made in those games? I've completed every challenge in Peggle and have completed (100%) about half the levels. I really, really do not want to start from scratch.

Feenix29

Just as i reactivated Live for a whole year a couple of days ago, it RROD'ed on me while playing SFIV. Im so fucking pissed right now coz my warranty ran out and this is the 2nd time its happened.

Are prices for repairs still $150? Can i fix it with that XClamp you guys are mentioning if ive never tried something like that before? Does the towel trick still work and how long will it last?

Im not sure what version my system is since im pretty sure when i got it fixed the 1st time, they sent me a different system. Fuck, i wouldnt be so pissed if i didnt just reactivate Live, fuck.

I hope the PS3 price drop is soon, i think ill just pick that up since most of the games i play are multi-platforms.

Undeux

Mine crashed on Wednesday, right after I finished downloading MVC2. Fuckin a.

It went nearly four years without getting the RROD, so I can't really complain. On the other hand, since it's out of warranty, it's going to be $99.

Maximus.

if the xbox repair is still 150, might as well get a new arcade, thats wat i did when my xbox died again, but now i got a ps3 too so i just play the ps3 :p

tim1138

What is technically Xbox #3 jsut RROD'd (oddly enough this is my first RROD) while playing Lego Batman. Thankfully it was still covered in the 3 year RROD warranty so the only cost I'm out is a box. Speaking of which when did they discontinue sending coffins to people?

Top Bottom