• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Loaded Man

I just bought a wireless headset and when I attempted to turn on my 360 after work today to try it out, I got an "E74" error. Ugh.

I've only owned my elite for a year and one week. And here I used to think this only happens to other people and not me! :lol

Touchdown

Banned
Well mine went this morning. Went to boot up my new Madden 10 I just bought yesterday and BAM. The three red lights of death. May it rest in peace XBOX Pro System-
August 2005-August 2009.
What's the best option, should I get a new xbox with hdmi support or should I just get it repaired for $99.00, Is the HDMI that much of a difference on a 720p 52" TV? Damn, I thought I was going to be one of the lucky few to make it out this gen with no broken hardware. My Wii is still chugging along though and thing has been knocked over more than a dozen of times and pulled over by gamecube controller wires :lol

Mine got RROD fever tonight. My fourth one and I wasn't even playing that much lately. What a shame!

At least, I still get free repair! :lol :lol

Struct09

My 2nd 360 is on its way out, just in time for Shadow Complex. It's an Elite from when they launched - freezing and checkerboard patterns :(

Does Microsoft still send out a box, or am I able to print out a label and send it myself? I was poking around the support site and didn't find an obvious answer. I'm going to towel trick the thing to last until I finish Shadow Complex, but might as well get the ball rolling on the repair process if it would save me time.

HashBrown

Neo Member
My first one-- dead out of the box. I plugged it in and got the three lights and called their support line. After sitting through their bodacious automated help guy I finally got a real person to tell me to just take it back to Game Stop. An hour later, I was loving me some Gears of War and Geometry Wars.

My second one-- not actually a death story. It just sounded like a jet engine and about 1/3 of the time it would hang on the 360 startup screen. The 3 year warranty was up or close to being up at that point (pretty sure it was up at this point since it was only a few months ago) so I traded it to Gamestop and got a new Arcade with my old hard drive. Now I have a 360 with an HDMI port. :-D

Baker

Banned
I got all those lines popping up on mine so I'm sure I'll get an E74 sometime tonight.

With Shadow Complex and Batman on the horizon, unfortunately I'm probably going to take the awful consumer whore route and just get an Arcade instead of waiting for it to get fixed.

Third one that has broke, btw. I had an E74 on my launch unit back when they said it wasn't their problem and a RROD on the one I bought after that.

Baker

Banned
How long after the lines show up does the E74 happen? My first round it was instantaneous. However, I spent all of lunch turning this one on and off and it never screwed up again.

Are the lines 100% indicative of an E74 or could it have been a random fluke? They were a bunch of scrolling horizontal black ones.

I'm only asking because if I go ahead and just get a new 360, I'd need to order from Amazon in the next hour or so to get it in time for the weekend.

Ffffuuuuu....

Are E74s covered by the 3yr warranty now? Looks like my refurb'd Falcon just gave up the ghost.

Started getting some nasty dithering effectson Shadow Complex, got worse, went back to dahsboard and saw them over the avatars as well. Now it won't turn on.

Cynar

sionyboy said:
Ffffuuuuu....

Are E74s covered by the 3yr warranty now? Looks like my refurb'd Falcon just gave up the ghost.

Started getting some nasty dithering effectson Shadow Complex, got worse, went back to dahsboard and saw them over the avatars as well. Now it won't turn on.

yes, e74 is covered by the 3 year warranty now.

Zaphyr

Neo Member
I've been getting strange lines and patterns for over a week now. It won't die though, so I suppose I'll have to keep on playing and praying for it to break down. It's a falcon from april 2008.

Gonna have to remove my skin before sending it back.... I'm gonna guess that it isn't going to stick to whatever they send back to me :(

lostanddamnedskin.jpg

Iron Toaster said:
Do 360's still get the red rings often? I've never owned one, but it seems like the reports of them have gone down a lot in the past year.
The new ones don't... the old ones obviously still do. ;)

Ichigo

Mine just RROD today, just as I was about to get on and get Shadow Complex. It is a launch unit that was given to me by a friend. Question: Any clue if it is still covered by some warranty out there?

expy

Banned
Ichigo said:
Mine just RROD today, just as I was about to get on and get Shadow Complex. It is a launch unit that was given to me by a friend. Question: Any clue if it is still covered by some warranty out there?

Out-of-warranty.

Ichigo

expy said:
Out-of-warranty.
That is what I figured. I guess probably makes more sense to upgrade at this point. Is buying an arcade and just hooking up my HDD from the old one viable? I feel like when you switch HDD's something gets messed up.

gimmmick

So if anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.
As of late, my xbox 360 has been constantly freezing on me. I would just be on the menu screen, or just starting up netflix streaming, and boom... freeze. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

The next day, I can't even access the menu. It just freezes on the start up.

Now I get this shit.

360.jpg

Sorry I'm a little new to all of this. I don't know many people that own an xbox 360, but I have heard stories and all.

E68: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it, This can also be caused by a Hard Drive Eprom Error. Some also believe this might be caused by a problem with the fans.

Hey guys, so i've run into a fucked up problem. When my 360 boots it makes a double grinding noise, and as it enters the dashboard the rear fans slowly accelerate to maximum speed. Or beyond maximum speed, I don't fucking know. The amount of volume this thing produces is truly phenomenal and makes it unplayable as its on my desk. This is my second replacement and clearly the thing is either fucked or well on its way.

I'm within the three year warranty, but obviously its not experiencing the RROD or E74 problem. If I call and tell Microsoft that it has either problem will they actually check? I'm tempted to do it anyway because risks aside this is unusable and frankly they should fucking replace this shit.

I used my iphone to take the decibels this thing is putting out. Anyone care to take a guess? 98 DECIBELS. NINTY EIGHT. WHAT THE FUCK. I literally just walked into my living room, which is at least 10m away from where it is and I can still hear it. This is fucking bullshit. FUCK.

Mine died on me while playing Rock Band with the gf last night. Weirdest thing ever; there was this green overlay, polka dots, over the background, but not everything. At first I thought I had unlocked some super hidden graphics filter, but eventually realized that it wasn't part of the game, did a restart, and got the one lone red light. Fuck.

Just got done with MS on the phone. I take back every negative thing I've said about anyone else (AT&T used to be the king of inept customer support in my mind). I've heard stories but had no idea that the folks there were so retarded.

And 2 to 3 weeks before I get my system back. Ridiculous. The funny thing is, when people started quoting that 50% failure rate from earlier this week, I had my doubts, since Game Informer is not exactly Consumer Reports, no offense. But I guess with literally half the systems dying, I shouldn't be surprised by the turn around.

FortNinety said:
And 2 to 3 weeks before I get my system back. Ridiculous.
I wouldn't pay much attention to that. I was told 3 weeks and they repaired mine / sent it back the day they got it.

Guess that depends on the country you're in though.

Ichigo

just tried the towel trick, and it worked. Has anyone had this work for a long period of time? I've read that it usually only works for a couple of days.

painey

just got an email from MS and my 8th 360 has arrived at the depot :D They run a better service than the post office, and probably get more use!

*Guaraná

Banned
custom_1251040180962_rrodpumpkin.jpg

My XBox 360 Zaphyr Halo 3 Edition died a month ago. 3RL while I was playing Wolverine. The image froze and some artifacts appeared. I knew what was going on... :(

I send it to fix and it's been ok since them...

Foxix Von

FortNinety said:
Mine died on me while playing Rock Band with the gf last night. Weirdest thing ever; there was this green overlay, polka dots, over the background, but not everything. At first I thought I had unlocked some super hidden graphics filter, but eventually realized that it wasn't part of the game, did a restart, and got the one lone red light. Fuck.

Just got done with MS on the phone. I take back every negative thing I've said about anyone else (AT&T used to be the king of inept customer support in my mind). I've heard stories but had no idea that the folks there were so retarded.

And 2 to 3 weeks before I get my system back. Ridiculous. The funny thing is, when people started quoting that 50% failure rate from earlier this week, I had my doubts, since Game Informer is not exactly Consumer Reports, no offense. But I guess with literally half the systems dying, I shouldn't be surprised by the turn around.

Pretty much that. If I had seen that article before the 12th when my system died I would have though it was total BS :lol

Oh and YAY MicroSoft! Last friday my Zune software decided to just stop. I just get met with error messages upon clicking, awesome! My 120gig zune is now a brick with a bad battery indicator that can sing.

VQ

Bauer91

I got the E74 error yesterday, it was a Falcon bought in March 2008. I took really good care of it and yet it still died. And I though Falcons were reliable...

I guess I'll have to get a new Jasper now, those don't brake, right?

expy

Banned
Bauer91 said:
I got the E74 error yesterday, it was a Falcon bought in March 2008. I took really good care of it and yet it still died. And I though Falcons were reliable...

I guess I'll have to get a new Jasper now, those don't brake, right?

You're still under warranty. Why go out and buy a new one? Call in tech-support.

Bauer91

Because my country isn't officially supported by MS, so they don't have a customer support center, nor a repair center located here.

So anyway, did anyone report that their Jasper died here?

expy said:
Oh really? I don't know how it works there. Why exactly doesn't the warranty apply?

MS doesn't support Xbox in Serbia. The only console which is officially imported here is Playstation (which also covers around 97%-98% of the console market).

If I pick up a new Pro in a Best Buy replacement swap, do you guys think I should get the replacement plan again? I know the new mobos are much more reliable but they're still not down to a normal failure rate - can't be with as much anecdotal evidence as we've seen. If my newer one RRODs I might just go with MS's refurb carousel for a while until they possibly release a truly new form factor within in the next couple of years, likely with Natal...

Tonza

My 360 red ringed one time about a month ago and now I think it's dead. I booted up Shadow Complex and after a short moment of gameplay the screen flashes with green checkerboard and the console stops responding. This happened twice. Few times the console would turn on but nothing would appear in screen. The disc tray works though. Im guessing it's the graphics card?

Time to pour one out for a launch unit. December 2005 - August 2009

Im probably going to pick up an arcade unit. Are there any specific model numbers I should be looking for? (Europe btw)

KingJ2002

Wow... the response time and the customer service from Microsoft is pretty good. I was out of warranty but they fixed it for me for free... and when they received it... they sent it back to me the same day.

color me impressed.

Status Update:

Xbox handed in at UPS depot Thursday evening
Arrives at repair centre in Germany on Saturday
Listed as "arrived at service centre" on the support page this afternoon.

If it comes back by the end of the week I'll be impressed.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
After requesting a label back in july no label was sent because they did not verify my address or something like that due to unit being apt in their system. So I cleared it up with the dude from India and turns out I am passed the 3 year extended warranty since may 2009 so now they want 99.99 bucks for repair. Now I am not sure if I need an xbox 360 anymore. I guess I'll trade in all my 360 games towards batman arkham asylum and maybe buy a new xbox if mass effect 2 is any good based on reviews.

trancekr

After the new live update, Halo 3 360 (2nd 360 for me) was dead and sent to the service center.

Probably getting back today or tomorrow.

KingJ2002

just saw my tracking code from ups... it's actually been rescheduled to come a day earlier so instead of the 28th... it's coming on the 27th.

nice :D

borsdy

Banned
hay guyz

My three month full warranty is still good so I figured what the hell. Does this seem reasonable? I know they probably aready have this infos but I play my 360 offline quite often.

Hello there, this system is a refurb I received when I sent in my previous console for the three red light error. I have already migrated my content license to this new console using your license transfer tool on xbox.com, apparently I cannot do it again for one more year so please repair this current console without giving me another refurbished system if possible. My problem is, when I have game disc or DVD movie spinning in the disk drive, there is a fast constant clicking noise. Thank you!

Top Bottom