• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

ZZMitch

Got a red ring like a year ago (probably because I put my cable box on top of it), got it fixed on warranty for free and replaced within 2 weeks.

Pretty good I think

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Mine died today. Should've seen it coming, really.

Manufacture date: 7th Dec 2006 (no HDMI port, so I deduce it's an original Xenos model)
Purchase date: 9th May 2007
Date of RROD: 3rd August 2009

The coffin is coming, but I'm not sure if it's worth getting too excited about the replacement. Im considering buying a brand new 360 just to avoid the hassle of repeatedly sending them back on this warranty.

How long do refurbs usually last?

tim1138 said:
What is technically Xbox #3 jsut RROD'd (oddly enough this is my first RROD) while playing Lego Batman. Thankfully it was still covered in the 3 year RROD warranty so the only cost I'm out is a box. Speaking of which when did they discontinue sending coffins to people?

They didn't. My friend got a coffin last week for his dead box. You have to set up the repair on Xbox.com and choose "Send me a box and a label".

Cataferal said:

Manufacture date: 7th Dec 2006 (no HDMI port, so I deduce it's an original Xenos model)

The coffin is coming, but I'm not sure if it's worth getting too excited about the replacement. Im considering buying a brand new 360 just to avoid the hassle of repeatedly sending them back on this warranty.

My second refurb was a dud because it scratched discs.
My third refurb lasted 9 months befpre it got RRoD.
My fourth refurb is currently on month #10.

tim1138

AnEternalEnigma said:
They didn't. My friend got a coffin last week for his dead box. You have to set up the repair on Xbox.com and choose "Send me a box and a label".

Ah, I did it over the phone and was able to print up the shipping label but the guy said nothing about a box. Oh well.

phie

For the 7th time, I need to return my machine. This time, it has stopped reading game discs and DVDs. Glad it wasn't the RROD this time around, though :lol Don't know what I'm doing wrong with my consoles, but I'm pretty sure they hate me!

mosaic

go eat paint
You guys can add me to your ranks.

Purchase date: April 26, 2006
RROD date: August 4, 2009

Yep, 3 months and 8 days out of the 3 year period.

Looks like I may as well buy an Arcade unit, plop my old HD on, and use Microsoft's online license migration wizard. . . blah.

Beaulieu

bought mine at launch and yesterday I got a RROD. I sent it back to microsoft twice while I was on the warranty for 2 RROD.

Now that im not on it anymore, I plan on doing the 12 penny trick to repair it. Im pretty confident it will work but opening it up looks fuckin complicated ffs.

phie said:
For the 7th time, I need to return my machine. This time, it has stopped reading game discs and DVDs. Glad it wasn't the RROD this time around, though :lol Don't know what I'm doing wrong with my consoles, but I'm pretty sure they hate me!
I have five of them listed for you.

April 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2007
August 2009

Don't suppose you remember when / what the other two were?

toff74

Hello..

I posted this in the new xbox dash thread...

I got in on the 3rd wave, started checking out the new features, when i started getting graphic hash on the screen. I started up GeoWars2 to see if it was something that would clear its self.. nope, it just got worse.

I switched it off and on again, only to get the E74 error and the single red flashing quadrant.

This is my 6th 360 to break since launch. And second elite model!!! First E74 though (disc tray problems last july)

Fortunately i'm covered and can return it to the shop i got it from (CEX) and get it replaced instantly!!

Happy Days!!

toff74 said:
Fortunately i'm covered and can return it to the shop i got it from (CEX) and get it replaced instantly!!
I can only imagine how bad the replacements you're likely to get from CEX are... I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with 5 more dead 360s. =/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmmm.

So I went to turn on my 360 for the first time in a while, and it's taken to going into a cycle of restarting..over and over...

The fan is sort of yo-yo-ing up and down from lower to high while it does this.

I can't do anything now for more than a few seconds before it restarts.

No red ring or anything. I don't see any artifacting.

Anyone have any idea what I can do?

Does anyone know if the Jasper chip set helps to reduce the failure rate of the 360? Also, if you send the 360 in for repair do you get the new Jasper chip set in the "repaired" 360?

Clockblockers said:
Does anyone know if the Jasper chip set helps to reduce the failure rate of the 360? Also, if you send the 360 in for repair do you get the new Jasper chip set in the "repaired" 360?
1: Yes.
2: No (well, not that I've ever seen yet anyway).

phie

Psychotext said:
I have five of them listed for you.

April 2007
June 2007
August 2007
December 2007
August 2009

Don't suppose you remember when / what the other two were?

If I remember correctly, I got a defective console back after the December '07 incident so it got sent back the same week it came through the door. The 6th time was maybe a year ago, can't remember exactly but somewhere in between june-september '08.

Asmodai

Banned
Hmm, recently had a 360 returned after RROD, problem is this one is a different refurbished console.

Normally it wouldn't make a difference, but when I set up the queue to download something for my console, it always says "downloaded to different console."

Does anyone know how I can switch the console registered to my xbox.com so that when I set up a queue for download, it downloads onto my new one and not the old one wherever it is? I've got the new one registered on the site and it still does it, not sure what's up.

Got my 360 back today. They sent me my old console back which is cool, and it reads games as games again. Only took a week to ship it there, have it repaired, and shipped back to me.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
drizzle said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7278395&postcount=5060

Hey, my August 07 xclamp fixed zephyr died again on me yesterday. It went on for 2 years. That's not that bad.

I jsut turned it on and put on Golden Axe: Beast Rider (yeah, i know... :lol ) to see what the game was all about and why it was so bad, and the 360 froze up on me.
I turned it off, turned it on, it froze on the initialization video giving cracks and pops on the audio.

Tried to turn it on again, 3rl.

I'm taking it to the shop where they fixed it to see what is up. Same deal tho. 3rl and won't even boot to dash. If somebody asks, again, it's a imported 360 and the local Microsoft service wouldn't take it back then. They do now (i think), but it's already tampered with.

Mark another one for me on your fancy graphics (even tho it's still the same console...)

Phew. Just an update to the story.

I live in Brazil, so xbox 360 are quite expensive down here. My Zephyr got fixed AGAIN. For 1/10 of the price of a new (official) 360, 1/5 of a smuggled one.
I just hope it trucks along till the next year. 3 month "warranty" on the fix. Price wasn't great, but wasn't that bad either. If it holds strong, i'm ok with it.

I think next time it 3rl, i'm gonna try to fix it (aka, break it entirely) myself.

toff74

Psychotext said:
I can only imagine how bad the replacements you're likely to get from CEX are... I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with 5 more dead 360s. =/

Well i got another back.. completely reeks of smoke, but works. TBH the 360 ive had the longest was the one i've just had replaced (10 months). This time though i only have the 2 months warrenty left on the original reciept' Gonna try to register it with MS to see what they give me ;)

Oh, the new beta dashboard update happened imediately. Fingers crossed.

On a side note, i have to re install all the games i installed to the HDD :(

Anony

damn, i'm getting mixed reports
there's a vocal side that says it will fuel rrod, and there's some that says they've used it with no problem
and these posts are years old

and reviews show there is a few degree temp drop, so i dont see why i shouldnt get it

There have been tons of reports in this thread of people getting RRoD even with the coolers. They just don't make a difference.

...and in some cases, actively destroyed the console (power fluctuations etc)

Max

I am not Max
So i'm playing some CODWAW, just finishing up a zombies game with a friend, we decide to do some co-op, the ingame cutscene is playing when OUT OF NOWHERE RED CHECKERBOARDS FILL THE SCREEN LIKE THE PLANES OVER NORMANDY. I PANIC, RUSHING TO MY 360 TO SEE IF ITS ALRIGHT, FIRST THING I DO IS PRESS THE POWER BUTTON TO TURN IT OFF AND THEN AGAIN TO TURN IT BACK ON. I LEAVE IT FOR 5 SECONDS ONLY TO FIND OUT IT HAS BEEN REBORN AGAIN AS THE DEMON KNOWN AS THE RED RING OF DEATH. I TURN IT OFF AS FAST AS I CAN, BUT NO, IT ONLY COMES BACK TO ME FLASHING RED.

Many restarts are attempted, I unplugged it all and tried again, nothing. Xbox.com won't even take my damn serial code!

Who wants to buy my games?

JRW

I have a 360 from launch day (Oct 2005 build date) It RROD a couple years ago and I did the Xclamp fix on it myself, this got it working again for 2 years straight without issue until yesterday it decided to RROD again, I took it apart and rechecked the xclamp bolts, tightened those down a bit but it was still a no go.

Since it was producing a 0102 error code I figure it must be a cold solder joint somewhere and decided to try the infamous Towel trick (theory with this method is the 360 gets so hot it actually causes the motherboard solder to become soft / more of a liquid form which closes gaps on cold solder joints) I wrapped it in 2 towels for 25 minutes and when I unwrapped it the lights had changed from 3 RROD to 2 RROD which indicates overheating.

I cant say this towel trick is very good for the 360 as it smelled a little bit like burnt electronics, I let it cool down for 20 minutes and low and behold it turned on without RROD, It's only been 1 day but so far its working fine without any freezes or RROD, it seems with most people the towel trick is only a 4 - 5 day fix, I'm not expecting it to be a perm fix but its interesting that this method actually works. ill report back how long it lasts for me.

I have a feeling ill be buying another 360 soon but I'm kinda surprised how long this one has lasted considering its a launch unit.

So do you have to have a the red rings in order to get your 360 repaired for free? I think mine's on the way out. I had one die on me a couple years ago. It would freeze while playing a game, and the screen would get all pixelated. After a few restarts it gave me the red ring.

My current one, however, is just giving me the messed up screen only and never the red signal. It's done it five or so times. I can't play a game or anything past the main menu usually. So what should I do? Will they take care of it as is, or do I have to have the magical red ring to get it taken care of?

Fun times. Thread is huge, so I'm sure it's been covered, but, again, thread is huge, so I don't want to wade through it.

Edit: Tried a couple more restarts and actually got the failure warning. I guess I'll get the free fix now. Huzzah!

I had my first Xbox RROD last month after owning it for about 14 months. I got my refurb back a couple of days ago, and to my surprise MS forgot to transfer my licenses to the new machine. Even after re-downloading my arcade titles and themes, I can't use them offline with a secondary account. Now I guess I'm going to have to call MS and ask them to transfer my content licenses to the new machine. Has anybody had any experience with this? Is it straightforward to get MS to do this, or do they make it difficult for you?

I know about the online transfer tool, but I'm considering that a measure of last resort. The documents that came with my refurb claimed that my licenses were transferred by MS as part of the replacement procedure. I know they haven't done that and I want to hold MS to what they promised. I really don't want to use the online tool only to have this machine die on me in 3 months.

So to repeat my question, has anybody had any luck calling in to MS and getting them to transfer your content licenses from an old machine to a new one? Is it a hassle?

mikanko

I live in the US and My JP 360 just RROD'd. It's just under the 3 year mark from when I purchased it new from an online store, but their database is saying it's past the 3 mark so I have to dispute the warranty claim. The initial invoice showed on my service request that it's an out of region console, so it seems they have no trouble accepting Japanese units in the states.

What I'm wondering is if I send it in will I even be getting a Japanese region console back, or will they replace it with a US model? If I can't convince them I bought it 2 years and 9 months ago, I want to know if it's even worth me paying the 100 bucks for fixing/replacing as most my games won't work on a US console.

Link Floyd said:
So to repeat my question, has anybody had any luck calling in to MS and getting them to transfer your content licenses from an old machine to a new one? Is it a hassle?

I have. Prepare to spend about 45 minutes on the phone and talk to at least 3 people (as of September 2008). They transfer them in about two weeks.

mosaic

go eat paint
Replaced my RROD 360 with a Jasper unit made June 2009. Is the DVD drive supposed to sound like a lawn mower someone's running from inside a garage? My old one was much quieter!!

Sorry if I'm yelling! I'm playing SFIV!! WHAAT?!

I got the E74. This is number 5. I called them to dispute the warranty charge because I'm still under warranty from the 99 dollars I payed them for when the disc tray broke, and they said they had no record of prior repair orders from me ever. They said they would search their system and call me back in 3-5 business days. Got a call today telling me I would hear from them in 2-5 business days.

Insayne

My fifth machine died, and with that, the first falcon.... Guess, our friendship wasn't built to last... Terrible failure rate for me :(

KingJ2002

This is now my 7th Xbox 360 since launch I believe... It's actually on it's death bed. It would turn on and give me the three rings... but when i restart the system it would work fine. When i get back from work i'm going to try it out again to see if it RROD's me for the final time... if it does then i guess i'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay up.

luckily i got wii sports resort to pass the time. :)

jergrah

My launch unit had the hard-drive fail/become corrupt just shy of 2 years into its life. I picked up a new hard-drive and 2 weeks later my 360 got the 3 red rings. They estimated an 8 week turnaround and this was when Halo 3 had just come out and the busy holiday season was going on. I ended up buying a newer Arcade unit with the HDMI port and sold my refurb when they sent it back.

My arcade unit died last Saturday (Aug 1st) with E74 -- so it lasted a little over a year and a half. I just got my notice this morning that they are shipping it back to me today. Hopefully I get it back in time for the Madden release.

baultista

Banned
My 3rd xbox360 E74'd on July 24th, 2009. I shipped it off on the same day.

My 4th Xbox360 came in the mail on July 31st, 2009.

I have to give kudos to Microsoft for the fast turnaround time. TBH though, the local repair centre is a 30 minute drive from my house. If I had just dropped it off and picked it up myself the entire process would have been much quicker.

According to the Xbox.com service tracker, my console spent four days in transit (2 days from UPS drop off centre to MS, then 2 days from MS to me).

JRW

It's now Day 4 since doing the towel trick and its still working without any freezes / crashes / rrod's. My nephew has been here with his friends playing it for hours a day. (To freggin hot outside lately, 106F today).

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My second Xbox (2 years old) keeps crashing around 10-15 minutes during gameplay. It doesn't show the RROD. Do I need to force a RROD for MS to fix it for free? If so, how do I force it?

godhandiscen said:
My second Xbox (2 years old) keeps crashing around 10-15 minutes during gameplay. It doesn't show the RROD. Do I need to force a RROD for MS to fix it for free? If so, how do I force it?
There have been many people here who have sent their 360 in with similar issues (without forcing RRoD) and had it replaced under the RRoD warranty.

That said, there's no guarantee. It's what I'd do though.

drewd420

Neo Member
Cataferal said:

Going on 18 months for mine! Finger's crossed!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Psychotext said:
There have been many people here who have sent their 360 in with similar issues (without forcing RRoD) and had it replaced under the RRoD warranty.

That said, there's no guarantee. It's what I'd do though.
Thanks. I will give them a call, see whats up.

kai3345

Banned
My 360 died today :'(

It won't read any discs besides Oblivion and I called Xbox support and they said I would need to send it in.

tim1138

Got #4 back from MS today--same case but new motherboard (since the serial number was the same but the console ID is different). Of course they forget to transfer over my licenses in the process and I had to use the license transfer tool on the website. My first time with that and thankfully it was pretty simple.
Everything seemed to check out until I loaded up Assassin's Creed and it was stuttering along at like 10fps. Gonna re-install it on the HDD and hopefully that fixes the issue, I've never seen it perform so badly before.

Foxix Von

Amazing. On my third day of ownership of a PS3 my XBOX decides to spite me :(
08-12-09_2000-1.jpg

Was a really odd death too, I decided to turn it on and check my friend list after a few days of neglect. I got as far as sending a message, then all of a sudden the video output literally turned into a chess table layout and all my speakers started roaring and hissing.

I think it was the sound of the 360's soul passing on :lol I restarted the system and BLAM! red lights. Tried unplugging and re-plugging, did nothing. The outlet I've got my stuff plugged into is kind of wonky and sensitive. If you wiggle the plug or even just touch it, it causes everything to promptly turn off and restart. Usually this caused a faux red ring that could be alleviated by the previously mentioned method but to no avail.

Luckily folks have been clearing out the garage and found a 360 sized box...

Good night my sweet prince, rest in peace.
08-13-09_1949-1.jpg

November 12, 2007 - August 12, 2009

VQ

Druz

My first replacement just 1 ringed last night. Turned it off then back on and its back to normal. I'm not even out of the manufacturers warranty yet and it's already acting up for fuck sakes.

My Elite died again last night, just over 2 months after being repaired.

This brings my total number of breakdowns to 6, across 3 different consoles.

My launch unit was replaced then died again.

The 360 I was using in Australia was repaired and then died 2 weeks after I got it back.

My Elite I bought got repaired and has now died again.

I'm not happy.

quickwhips

Ive been through 10 xboxs. I got a warranty at bestbuy for the xbox and they have replaced them all so far. I had my first die the day i brought it home then 1 week later on my first replacement. Best buy always gives me funny looks and checks them and then replaces. All have been red rings except my last two. Last christmas my xbox couldnt read disk no more. Best Buy replaced it after a little fussing from me. They told me my warranty was over and gave me my money back since they stopped making that sku of xbox. After that I bought another pro and best buy warranty that now came with a 60 gig drive. This xbox lasted 5 months and died with the e74 code. I got a new next day with my warranty and this one seems to be going strong. I feel like I'm unlucky but I know for a while the xbox 360s at best buy were literally coming back every day. Seems it was a bad batch from warehouse after that batch ran out they seemed to last a little longer :lol

Now I know you guys wouldnt put up with this but I stopped gaming for like 6 years and my wife and me started playing together again. So its nice and worth the hassle with all the games we have to play together. Plus I really like the controller layout on the xbox.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ethernet port went out on the 360. A shame, it's been our only issue now, but at least we don't subscribe to Live. It is a shame we can't download free stuff and updates now.

How long is the typical turn-around time for a 360 repair nowadays? I remember two years ago it was about a week. More now?

Mine arrived at the repair center on Thursday. Any rough estimates as to when I'll see the bad boy again? Shipping time was one day.

IamMattFox said:
How long is the typical turn-around time for a 360 repair nowadays? I remember two years ago it was about a week. More now?

Mine arrived at the repair center on Thursday. Any rough estimates as to when I'll see the bad boy again? Shipping time was one day.

I sent my 360 in twice this summer. Both times, the turn around lasted about two weeks.

Xellos

My Xbox 360:

April 2006 -- August 2009

I turned on my 360 this morning to find the dreaded red rings. It's not even outputing an error message to the TV screen. Somehow I thought I would escape this fate, since my 360 had been chugging along without incident over the last three years. I've rarely used it more than 2 hours at a time, and I always gave it room to vent. :(

Right now I'm leaning towards buying a new 360 for the HDMI, packed-in controller, and Jasper chipset. I assume that I can simply transfer my Xbox Live account and HDD to the new unit.

Top Bottom