• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

ZZMitch

KingJ2002 said:
i used the towel trick for the system to run long enough to sell it to gamestop :lol

I would hate to be the person who bought a used Xbox 360 at GameStop just to have it RRoD on them first boot...

KingJ2002

ZZMitch said:
I would hate to be the person who bought a used Xbox 360 at GameStop just to have it RRoD on them first boot...

yeah... I didn't think of the next man / woman buying it... if anything i would assume they would just return it and get another one while the defective model would be sent for refurbishing. i did that around the time I was on my 5th one and was trying anything to get it off my hands.

Seth C said:
With $5 of hardware from Home Depot you could have fixed it for good.

?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The fourth one bit the dust. It was repaired back in November, lasted till the last days of August. So yeah, they have a mean-lasting time of 10 months with me :lol :lol :lol !!!!|

Gotta call support I guess

Mark it down.

Manufactured: July 29, 2007
RROD: July 2, 2009

12V 16.5A ... I guess it's a Zephyr. I always thought it was a Falcon. No wonder it died.

Looks like the price drop is this weekend. Time to jump back in. :D

Tonza

So I ordered a new 60gb 360 and it's being delivered today for me but I won't have the means to transfer my saves/profile to the 60gb hard drive. Can I just plug in the 20gb which I have from the previous 360 to the new and play with it until I get my memory card? Or does it use the transfer account which I think can be only done once a year? (or so I've read)

Also I sold the broken 360 to someone and Im wondering does the 360 store any account/gamertag information anywhere aside from the hard drive?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Relix said:
The fourth one bit the dust. It was repaired back in November, lasted till the last days of August. So yeah, they have a mean-lasting time of 10 months with me :lol :lol :lol !!!!|

Gotta call support I guess

Meeeeeh don't count it yet. It's been working ever since I replugged the cables.

expy

Banned
RadarScope1 said:
Mark it down.

Manufactured: July 29, 2007
RROD: July 2, 2009

12V 16.5A ... I guess it's a Zephyr. I always thought it was a Falcon. No wonder it died.

Looks like the price drop is this weekend. Time to jump back in. :D

Still under warranty no?

gimmmick

Ok I'm a little confused in all of this.

I got the view / print label screen with the info for the ups shipping etc, but do I have to wait till microsoft sends me a box or do I just get a box from the ups store and send my console to them? My co worker told me that microsoft sends you a box and than you mail it too them.

Also, on the site it says my xbox is Out of Warranty. Am I fucked if it got RROD? ( I heard they extended it too 3 years?).

gimmmick said:
Ok I'm a little confused in all of this.

I got the view / print label screen with the info for the ups shipping etc, but do I have to wait till microsoft sends me a box or do I just get a box from the ups store and send my console to them? My co worker told me that microsoft sends you a box and than you mail it too them.

Also, on the site it says my xbox is Out of Warranty. Am I fucked if it got RROD? ( I heard they extended it too 3 years?).

MS no longer send you a box, you print out the label and attach it to your own box. Then drop it to the UPS depot, or you can arrange for them to come pick it up.

As for the site, it'll tell you if you are out of standard warranty (ie, 1yr all things covered) but you are still covered for 3 years for RROD/E74.

gimmmick

sionyboy said:
MS no longer send you a box, you print out the label and attach it to your own box. Then drop it to the UPS depot, or you can arrange for them to come pick it up.

As for the site, it'll tell you if you are out of standard warranty (ie, 1yr all things covered) but you are still covered for 3 years for RROD/E74.

Thank you slonyboy.

KingJ2002

I just got my 360 back today and it feels good!

My Experience:

+ No Payment (Even though i was out of warranty... i lucked out)
+ Fast Service (1 week turn around)
+ Came back right when I got home

- Paid for it to be shipped to Microsoft
- Original black faceplate is broken on return (the controller port area was broken so now it's exposed... if anyone knows where to get a replacement or knows who's selling one... please let me know)
- Having to re-setup everything on return

well... enough said... time to play some batman! :D

expy said:
Still under warranty no?

Yes, but I dropped the $60 on a product replacement plan when I bought it. I never do that, but by that time the RROD was widely known. I liked the idea of getting a newer (and very likely cheaper) Xbox than sending it in to MS for refurb. Two years later I have $350 in store credit to spend on a $250 sku with three times the HDD space and a Jasper mobo. I think it was worth it. Even counting the cost of the PRP it's still $40 cheaper.

Only thing was, I forced myself to wait for price drop. Glad it's finally here. :D

Not my console, my buddies 360 Elite bit the dust. 2.5 years old. So, since it was made in 08, I'm assuming it was Falcon board.

However, this guy has had some bad luck. His Bravia XBR died, his parents 52" Projection HDTV died, and now his Xbox. He does not have air conditioning in his place, and it's regularly 80+ degrees in there, so that might have had something to do with it.

neojubei said:
Does anyone know how the towel trick works?

If your GPU dies, hell no. GPU death is the E74 error. You will get crazy graphical errors before this happens. My machine and my buddies died in the exact same way: Lines, squares, colors throughout the TV (think NES tile glitching, that's what it looked like). Lasted a few more days, then bamn, 1 ring E74.

Towel trick will do nothing for this. Once the GPU is fried that's it. It might correct 3RROD errors, but not E74 1RROD errors.

IamMattFox said:
How long is the typical turn-around time for a 360 repair nowadays? I remember two years ago it was about a week. More now?

Mine arrived at the repair center on Thursday. Any rough estimates as to when I'll see the bad boy again? Shipping time was one day.

Ended up sending it out on a Thursday at 6:00 pm and got it back the following Tuesday. Not bad, I think.

Update on Falcon E74 death:

Posted Xbox Thursday 20th August

Received Xbox back Friday 28th August.

Can't complain about the service (although I can complain about the xbox downtime!)

They replaced the motherboard and the dvd drive on my falcon/hitachi drive machine. Surprised they replaced the dvd drive, I don't think there was anything wrong with the old one. I had a hitachi in there but its been taken out for a benq/lite-on (whatever they are branding them these days).

Struct09

sionyboy said:
Update on Falcon E74 death:

Posted Xbox Thursday 20th August

Received Xbox back Friday 28th August.

Can't complain about the service (although I can complain about the xbox downtime!)

They replaced the motherboard and the dvd drive on my falcon/hitachi drive machine. Surprised they replaced the dvd drive, I don't think there was anything wrong with the old one. I had a hitachi in there but its been taken out for a benq/lite-on (whatever they are branding them these days).

I sent mine in on the 20th as well. They received it this last Wednesday (the 26th) , and it's still at "Repair in Process" :(

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Some stats on total number of RROD's reported and how many of each type etc. I searched but I cant find anything recent.
I do it once a month around the 15th. Not had time to do it this month yet though.

On that subject...

Usual Disclaimer: If I can't tell when your 360 died / was replaced, you aren't included in the figures. That's basically anyone that just posted to say that their 360 died last year some time or they've had x dead 360s and gave no more information. Also, if you posted to say your 360 was acting up and never came back to confirm its death / shipment / getting a new one... you aren't included either.

Don't forget that NPD US numbers are simply included to give a rough idea of how many 360s are out there for each particular month.

sw6yw9.png

In the figures so far are 1355 dead / replaced 360s, 61 of which were falcon models.

This Month

RRoD: 37
Drive: 3
Other Red Light: 2
Freezing: 1

10 of the 12 refurb failures were due to RRoD.

Overall Falcon Issues

RRoD: 38
1RL: 9
Video: 5
DOA: 5
Drive: 3
Freezing: 1

Overall Jasper Issues

PSU: 1

I noticed on my repaired unit that they replaced the Mfr Date with a 'Service Date' date stamp instead (25-08-09).

At first I saw the August 2009 date and thought "NEW UNIT!!!" :lol As if!

Disguises

Playing banjo kazooie nuts and bolts and noticed everything I could pick up had a strange yellow check square around it. I thought turning it off and on again would fix it but i got E74 instead :(. Had it since December 2007 and showed no graphical glitches till today. I think it's a falcon model. Their repair better be fast! Got kameo and banjo kazooie for cheap recently and would've liked to play more than 5 minutes of each...

Drey1082

Question, I'm on xbox #3 or 4 from what I can remember. I've had my latest referb from Microsoft for about 2 years, but this one has now been giving me issues reading games off disc. It usually starts up the disc fine, but at some point during a cut scene or loading screen, the disc drive starts clicking and the disc read error screen appears. This has happened to me quite a bit probably within an hour or two of starting any game. Now, i'm pretty sure my xbox won't be under warranty anymore for disc read errors, but I want to see if anyone has any suggestions on what. I've kinda got around the issue lately by installing the latest game i'm going to spend time with, but since I have an old launch 20gb HD, it's a pain in the ass to install one game at a time.

Anyone have any history with an error like this?

Well, I'm on my second Xbox and need to transfer (mine is about the crap the bed and disc drive keeps sticking). I searched but couldn't find anything, how do I get a transfer kit? Also, how do I transfer the licenses for all my content?

DarkJC

Well my Jan 2008 Falcon just died tonight. Was trying to play some Rock Band and the system kept freezing, so I had about 5 minutes warning before it refused to turn on.

Sigh, time to send for repairs I guess.

KingHenrik30 said:
Well, I'm on my second Xbox and need to transfer (mine is about the crap the bed and disc drive keeps sticking). I searched but couldn't find anything, how do I get a transfer kit? Also, how do I transfer the licenses for all my content?
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

As for the transfer kit... it's generally easiest to just borrow one. I believe GAF even has a thread where people send a kit around.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Noooooo! 2 weeks before FIFA10

26/10/2005 - 7/9/2009 (bought on 19th December 2005)

What's weird is Microsoft did offer to repair it for free saying it is still in warranty. I thought it was 3 years?

Docpan

I opted to pick up a late '08 Elite Bundle (w/ Lego Indy and Kung Fu Panda) after the price drop, solely because it comes with the Component and HMDI cables. They really screwed users over by taking that stuff out of the new models.

That said, I've got a Falcon (though apparently late '08 Falcons have an 80nm GPU compared to the standard 95nm), and not the newer Jasper. Am I fucked?

stonedwal

Australian Launch 360 (March 2006) RROD'd for the second time last night, roughly about 18 months after the first repair. Going to replace it with a new Elite on the 23rd when the price drop and free ODST deal starts.

The death was sudden during a round of Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits. I reckon it died cos I considered playing Too Human :p

The_Dude

stonedwal said:
Australian Launch 360 (March 2006) RROD'd for the second time last night, roughly about 18 months after the first repair. Going to replace it with a new Elite on the 23rd when the price drop and free ODST deal starts.

The death was sudden during a round of Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits. I reckon it died cos I considered playing Too Human :p
My near Australian launch 360 died for the second time yesterday, too. Funnily enough, I was playing Rock Band when it happened. Damn rhythm games!

Sorry if this has been asked, but can anyone tell me what the deal is with game saves being tied to the console? I'm just going to buy a new console, so if I transfer the contents of my old hard drive onto the hard drive of my new console, will the saves still be tied to my old console, or will I still have to do something else to fix this?

I don't believe saves have ever been tied to the console. To the best of my knowledge they're tied to your Gamertag. You'll need to use the licence transfer tool for any DLC / DD games. Unless you like playing only when online that is.

Colocho

Banned
Docpan said:
I opted to pick up a late '08 Elite Bundle (w/ Lego Indy and Kung Fu Panda) after the price drop, solely because it comes with the Component and HMDI cables. They really screwed users over by taking that stuff out of the new models.

That said, I've got a Falcon (though apparently late '08 Falcons have an 80nm GPU compared to the standard 95nm), and not the newer Jasper. Am I fucked?
I'd like to know this as well, I also got a late 08' bundle with Lego Indy and Kung-Fu Panda except mine was a Pro not an Elite (is there any difference?) and I checked and it is indeed a Falcon. Are we fucked?

expy

Banned
Colocho said:
I'd like to know this as well, I also got a late 08' bundle with Lego Indy and Kung-Fu Panda except mine was a Pro not an Elite (is there any difference?) and I checked and it is indeed a Falcon. Are we fucked?
Only time will tell, as long as it works, then no sweat.

Damn! Mass Effect kills my 360 yet again!

Back in late Nov 2007 after beating Mass Effect my first one bit the dust.

Now, after getting the bug to play through it a few more times and get more achievement points in anticipation of the sequel, it yet again kills my system. Game just froze, but I didn't think anything of it. I go to turn the system on, and nothing on the screen. No rings of light at all, even. Then I knew something was wrong. I turned it off and on again, and there you go.

On the Xbox site, it says that I'm out of warranty. I don't exactly remember when I bought the system, and I'd have to go digging for the receipt, but is there a way of getting the repair for free if it is out of warranty? I really don't have the scratch to pay for the repair. Plus if I'm gonna spend more than $100 I'm actually more inclined to buy an arcade instead since I know the system will be brand new. But again I don't have the money to do so right now.

Halp meeeeee GAF!

:(

The website says you're out of the standard warranty... but you might be still in the 3 year RRoD / 3RL warranty. What's the manufacture date on the console?

My Elite (bought early last year) is showing strange artefacts, lots of colour banding and the overall palette seems to be randomly colourised green and blue.

The HDMI cable is fine, and these symptoms occur both during games and when using the general interface. There is good ventilation and it is dusted regularly.

Is this a sign of near death?

My 360 Red Ringed a few weeks ago, and I just got it back today. I plugged in the 360 and what is there to greet me? Three red fucking rings. What the fuck.

Edit: I removed the hard drive, unplugged the cables, and hooked everything back up, it seems to work now.

My launch 20GB 360 finally red ringed on Sunday(09/06). It was very strange, I hadnt played it in over a month, turned it on and played some Lost Odyssey, bam, dead (3 red rings). The towel trick works for a little while but then it has to be done over and over again. Ill probably just sell it broken on ebay and wait a while to see if I want to get another one.

Now, funny enough it seems like it works again?!

But It does seem rather unstable. It just froze on the dashboard, so I still think it will die out eventually.

I wonder what caused the error in the first place?

I now own 3 Xbox 360s. My first was the elite on opening day. It works great, except the HDMI output went out on it (VGA works fine). I gave that to my fiance, gave an arcade to a friend who needed it, and I own a Xbox 360 Pro system with the 120gb hard drive.

All of this because of the HDMI output going out on my Elite. I've never heard of it, neither has Microsoft. They said usually both outputs go out if anything. Oh well.

So, I had a launch console die on me last night. No RRODing, but the GPU is glitching out and locking the system after less than a minute of gameplay in The Beatles Rock Band.

Having already purchased a replacement system from Dell, I know have a useless paperweight that I'd like to get rid of. What's the best way to dispose of the system (besides throwing it in the trash)?

Urgh mine just died in the middle of a game of COD. And I can't request a repair online; it says 'we cannot match the customer information you entered with an existing address'. So I have to change my address or call up. But I don't know what to change my address to, because it's the right address. And the call centre is closed. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

This is my second RRoD. But I'm more pissed off about the fact I can't request repair online than the fact that it broke.

gimmmick

Just got my xbox360 back. Happy camper right now. Here's hoping this one will last! :lol

Fired up the que, no lock ups or glitching. Keeping it in a well ventilated area so the chances of it over heating will go down.

Is there a way I can tell which xbox I got (like falcon or whatever it's called?)

expy

Banned
ToiletofSadness said:
So, I had a launch console die on me last night. No RRODing, but the GPU is glitching out and locking the system after less than a minute of gameplay in The Beatles Rock Band.

Having already purchased a replacement system from Dell, I know have a useless paperweight that I'd like to get rid of. What's the best way to dispose of the system (besides throwing it in the trash)?
Try ebay'ing it, some people will probably want to buy a defective unit for other uses.

gimmmick said:
Just got my xbox360 back. Happy camper right now. Here's hoping this one will last! :lol

Fired up the que, no lock ups or glitching. Keeping it in a well ventilated area so the chances of it over heating will go down.

Is there a way I can tell which xbox I got (like falcon or whatever it's called?)
Check the Power Supply, there's a chart somewhere in this thread.

tegdf

I got my 360 repaired last month. When the hard drive is in, the console doesn't work, but when the hard drive is not attached to the console it works. Is my hard drive messed up?

Top Bottom