• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

I'm scheduled to receive my 360 back today. I'll update this post when it's delivered.

Update: Ok, delivered. It is a different unit than what I sent out. I'm not sure when it was made since it has that Service panel which says it was serviced on 9/20/09. I don't know how to tell Jasper from whatever so....

h3ro

Error 74.

Fuck.

I was getting some artifacting during the Forza 3 demo. Checked my cables. Turned it on and BAM, little red fucker was lit up and the screen read E74. I had a year old Elite that was a Falcon chipset.

AGHHH.

Anyone know if MS sends out Jaspers now? Should I go through the website or through calling them?

expy

Banned
I'm pretty sure they'll send you back a refurbished version of your SKU. They have plenty of them in their warehouse. They're just recycling the units that come in, that way they minimize their replacement costs.

h3ro

Thanks for the info guys, I figured I will be getting a refurb back. I hope the 360 I get back is in good shape though, the one I sent in was perfect, not a single scratch or anything... :/

Set up the exchange through the website and dropped it off at a UPS store a little while ago. Hopefully the turn around is quick and I get it back soon.

Ugh, I was so hyped on the Forza 3 demo and playing some Mass Effect (I'm playing it for the first time).

Zaphyr

Neo Member
And mine just bite the dust, just downloaded the Forza 3 demo no less. When I tried to turn it on, I received an E74 error. Took a month to finally kick it after all the graphical glitches. But then, I haven't played it a lot lately as I've been playing Persona 4.

I'll be sending it back under warranty and see how that turns out. Pretty fed up with that pos piece of hardware already.

markatisu

Was playing Lost Odyssey and about to clear the 1st disc and it flipped off and gave me RROD

I just got it last month, pumped 43hrs into Mass Effect, multiple hours into Netflix but a 15min playthrough of LO killed it :lol

I guess I will send it in, was really hoping I would be one of the % that did not have it happen to them.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
expy said:
I'm pretty sure they'll send you back a refurbished version of your SKU. They have plenty of them in their warehouse. They're just recycling the units that come in, that way they minimize their replacement costs.
I really doubt that they're saving anything in the long run. This Zephyr that they sent me a couple weeks ago will just die like my other Zephyr and my Xenon before that.

expy

Banned
Just turned mine on after about 7 weeks of inactivity, turned on fine when I started it, but 2 hours later when I tried to turn it back on I got 3 lights. It's working again now, so it's not completely dead. I'm not going to bother replacing this one again (2nd time) I'll just let it stay there and have to hope I get lucky when I want to open it up.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So how long does this license transfer thing take? I transferred the license to my new box, but the games are still coming up as trials when not signed in to live.

didn't know I had to re-download everything. grr.

usea

My falcon/pro 20gb unit from fall '07 is now dead via RROD. It froze during a blaz blue match. Should I call MS or is there a website to use? Do I take out my hard drive when sending it?

usea said:
My falcon unit from december 07 is now dead via RROD. It froze during a blaz blue match. Should I call MS or is there a website to use? Do I take out my hard drive when sending it?
Use the website, take off everything (including your faceplate).

usea

This morning, it doesn't give 3 red lights anymore. It just freezes. After the third time it didn't make it past the xbox logo thing, but still didn't rrod.

Zaphyr

Neo Member
Psychotext said:
Use the website, take off everything (including your faceplate).

Just be very careful taking off your faceplate, I broke it when I pulled it off :(

Here's hoping I get a new one when they send it back.

alr1ght

They'll give you a new faceplate. Also, I thought they were no longer sending coffins? Mine is in the mail right now.

360 is on it's last legs again, keeps red ringing but if I try it enough I can get it to work and it runs fine when it's on. I'm out of the 3 year warranty so I'm wondering what the repair costs are in Europe? Or if it will be possible to blag a free repair over the phone?

Well...

My arcade just underwent RRoD.

Good show MS. I got an Xbox at $200 and the son of a bitch is still running! Have had the chunky beast for six years now! This 360 barely lasted a year or so. And it says warranty is expired on that freaking help page.

If I get charged you fall behind Sony who was already on my shitlist in 2004 over their "We'll fix it for $129." crap. You make a faulty product, you deal with the costs of fixing that fucked up product.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
So my console stopped reading discs about a week ago and I finally got around to submitting a repair request this morning and the repair amount is showing up as $0. I am well outside of the warranty and only have the extended RRoD warranty now. Is it supposed to say $0? If I ship it off, are they going to fix it and then demand money for a console that is just going to crap out again?

Zaphyr

Neo Member
So, I just got it back in exactly a week. No new faceplate, so I'll try to put the broken one back on I suppose. The console came back pretty dirty and the fans make a humming sound I never heard before.

At least it's back and it works (for now).

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So, my launch machine -- which once broke down due to RROD -- seems to be slipping yet again. It worked perfectly fine, but when I started it up today it didn't log me in to live (it did when I manually made it, though) and it wouldn't read the disc. It says "reading" for a while and then just "open tray". I've tried with two different games with the same result. Anyone had this happen?

Loto

alr1ghtstart said:
k4cn4y.jpg

Just happened to me. Sending in to get fixed then selling everything.

Ramenman

Got mine back.

Well, actually I got an Xbox 360, but not "mine", it was replaced. Is that standard procedure for E74 ? I thought they just had to change something (GPU or whatever).

Anyway it's cool, because it's dated 2009/09/07

Does that mean they're sending the latest revision to people sending in E74'd consoles ?

Also, it doesn't make the same noise when I turn it on (a bit quieter, but also different), and when I turn it off it doesn't make any noise at all (with my previous console I always had a loud "KSSHHH" sound).

(I know it sounds crazy, but turning on and off your console is something you do so much in a year+ time that when the sound it makes changes you immediatly notice it, like "... what?" :lol )

The thing definitely sounds newer to me.

To anyone who cares, my previous model was from the Viva Pinata / Forza 2 bundle from december 2007.

I ordered some new speakers today and booted up my 360 today to test them out. Was greeted to a wonderful whirring sound by the disc drive and then, of course, three red rings. No video output either, which I thought was odd. The last thing I did on it was play the PGR4 demo (so it's the fault of that LTTP PGR4 thread :lol) and that was last night so I can't imagine it had overheated.

Anywho, filling out the form online now. Maybe for the better that it happened now in the thick of the semester, still a bummer though as it was used as my DVD player here at school too.

At least my speakers sound great!

So... the shipping label image that I need to print isn't loading. I've tried it in two different browsers, Firefox and Safari (both on OSX). Any ideas?

Yes, very satisfied with customer support. I thought it was odd when I got a bunch more emails regarding my repaired console, which had a different serial number.

DarkMehm

peppermints said:
So... the shipping label image that I need to print isn't loading. I've tried it in two different browsers, Firefox and Safari (both on OSX). Any ideas?

Check the URL in your mail, don't copy/paste it. The "=" turns into "%3D" when you copy it. Just change that.

DarkMehm said:
Check the URL in your mail, don't copy/paste it. The "=" turns into "%3D" when you copy it. Just change that.

I've tried getting to it from two different ways (email, and the link from the Xbox repair site) and it won't load.

Under where it says "FOLD HERE" it just hangs there and doesn't display the image. Trying it on a Windows machine now with Chrome, still no luck. :(

Ramenman

peppermints said:
I've tried getting to it from two different ways (email, and the link from the Xbox repair site) and it won't load.

Under where it says "FOLD HERE" it just hangs there and doesn't display the image. Trying it on a Windows machine now with Chrome, still no luck. :(

Well if it's been sent to you more than 10 days ago it's not available anymore. But if it isn't that I don't know.

Milchjon

What does it mean if there are only 2 blinking lights?
According to Wiki this means that it has only overheated, but I'm scared that my 360 is doomed. I haven't yet turned it on again, wanted to let it cool down first...

vgamer1

I know this might not be the right place for this, but I didn't know where to put it.

I just picked up a 360, and I'm trying to set up my Live account, but whenever I enter my email, it tells me it's invalid!

Is this something I am doing wrong?

vgamer1 said:
I know this might not be the right place for this, but I didn't know where to put it.

I just picked up a 360, and I'm trying to set up my Live account, but whenever I enter my email, it tells me it's invalid!

Is this something I am doing wrong?
Probably not going to get much help on that here... seems a bit specific. Might be worth just setting up a hotmail account on the web and using that instead.

NYR

360 is getting E74 messages. I can stop and restart it and it works fine but I know its on its last legs.

Time for my 4th 360 in 5 years, I think...

gdt

FUCK.

XBOX.com says I registered this console already (I, however, don't remember doing that), but I don't see it on the "registered console" list. I guess I have to call MS tomorrow.

alr1ght

I love that my "shipped back" console has been sitting on "BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED" since monday. Looks like they never actually shipped the thing. great.

Since this thread is up here I just thought I'd mention my 360 of almost three years finally kicked the bucket last weekend. I shipped it out Tuesday morning and according to the xbox website it's already there and in the process of being repaired. I hope that means I'll have it back pretty soon.

markatisu

Got mine fixed last week, its been running good so far but it sounds like I am at the airport with how loud the fan is. I can hear it 3 rooms over in my house :lol

Ramenman said:
Well if it's been sent to you more than 10 days ago it's not available anymore. But if it isn't that I don't know.

According to the "nice lady" I spoke with at support, the site was having "technical issues" with displaying the label when I tried to get one that way. She also refused to mail me one because I have a P.O. box (I live about four houses down from the post office, so of course I have a box, they won't deliver to my house), despite my physical address being also listed. Claimed it was due to UPS not delivering to P.O. boxes (like I'm stupid and have never had anything delivered to my home before). The site itself doesn't seem to have the same qualms, however (even though it mentions that their couriers don't deliver to PO or military addresses, my intention isn't to get my 360 returned to my PO box, just the stupid label sent out to me so I can get this thing repaired). Less than impressed with MS over this.

Supposed to get my mailing info stuff in four days. It took eleven days to get here.

I will send it in, if I get charged you lose a loyal monkey. You get two warnings Microsoft.

hitoshi

Yaaay, 4th service here I come. After a sudden E71 months ago (which was fixed by a simple reboot) and full red lights several weeks ago, yesterday my Xbox 360 died, again, for the fourth time. All lights all flashing, which means a cable failure, but there is nothing wrong with them - after several tries it turned on and I was even able to play for 3 hours of Brütal Legend! That was yesterday night, but now all I am getting is red lights all over it.

By the way, I don' know what the hell is with Microsoft, but after calling the support I learned that here, in Hungary (and maybe in all over Europe?) after the 3rd repair you get a lifetime guarantee, which means FREE repair for the rest of eternity. Or, at least the next greatly built and dreamt iteration of Xbox 360!

...Which is a great timing considering a fact that on Tuesday I would have got my sweet Borderlands promo copy.

Top Bottom