• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Hyunkel6

Lately, when trying to boot a game, a message saying something like "Please insert the DVD in a xbox 360 console" would appear in different languages. This has happened twice in less than a month. Is my one-year old console dying?

markatisu

Hyunkel6 said:
Lately, when trying to boot a game, a message saying something like "Please insert the DVD in a xbox 360 console" would appear in different languages. This has happened twice in less than a month. Is my one-year old console dying?

I think your DVD drive might be dying, not the console itself

OK now they're trying to charge me to get it repaired, even though its still in the three year warranty. Fuckin bullshit MS! And I'm on the phone to a bloody Indian call centre and they can't understand my accent, nightmare.

bunker

Well, my launch 360 just died on me during a game of SFIV, just shy of it's 4th birthday. And I thought I would be one of the lucky ones to make it through this generation with only 1 360. I'm not sure whether to be pissed off or happy that it made it this long.

Had a launch console fail (RROD) at 100 days after purchase. Sent it in and paid $65. Got a refurbished unit back.
That one failed (RROD) in 60 days. Sent it in, they said I didn't have to pay for it to be fixed. Got it back and later that week I got a check for $100 from Microsoft.
1 year later this unit fails, DVD drive acting up. I chunk it in the closet and go buy the arcade pack 360.
1 year later (2 weeks ago) this unit RROD's. Out of warranty, I decide to open both of my 360's. After hours on the internet and hours of screwing with them I now have two working 360's. :lol

Sent my Elite in Rrod this Wednesday and it is already on it's way back with no fees for repairs. What are the chances it is the same xbox ? And what are the Gaf's experiences with it happening again? Very likely?

Door2Dawn

Banned
My 360 died about two months ago. Since my 360 is out of warranty, I will probably buy a new one because it would be cheaper.

So I have a question. If I buy a new 360, will my old hard drive work on the new one?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Door2Dawn said:
My 360 died about two months ago. Since my 360 is out of warranty, I will probably buy a new one because it would be cheaper.

So I have a question. If I buy a new 360, will my old hard drive work on the new one?

Yes.

My 2003 launch unit finally died this week. It had a good run. I already replaced it with a new Arcade so will send it in for repair then sell it to a friend for $100 to cover the cost.

ZZMitch

Gary Whitta said:
My 2003 launch unit finally died this week. It had a good run. I already replaced it with a new Arcade so will send it in for repair then sell it to a friend for $100 to cover the cost.

wat

So a work friends 360 RROD on him and he just went a bought a new one. I shouldn't have a problem (as long as it's still in the 3 year warranty) sending it to MS without a receipt? I called 4myxbox earlier and he said I didn't need a receipt, all I needed was the serial number and to do it through xbox.com. He also said there isn't an option for the 3 year warranty repair, you have to choose the RROD option and it will take me to the proper link. Does this all sound good, will I encounter any known problems?

There is a chance that it's out of warranty, in which case I'm not going to buy it off my coworker. I hope it works out.

Disguises

Got my xbox back today. Motherboard replaced. Sent it on the 7th and got it back today (15th), didn't take as long as I thought it was going to take and got a months xbox live. Hopefully i'll be free from E74 and RROD for a good while now........
please?.......

this guy

So my first 360 just crapped out on me after 26 months of use. I'm trying to register my console but Microsoft won't send me the fucking email to confirm my registration.

this guy said:
So my first 360 just crapped out on me after 26 months of use. I'm trying to register my console but Microsoft won't send me the fucking email to confirm my registration.
Call up. My second 360 red-ringed and the website insisted I never registered it, so I tried to, only to get an error saying it had already been registered. This cycle repeated.

I had to call up to get it fixed and even then they didn't make it easy.

this guy

ShockingAlberto said:
Call up. My second 360 red-ringed and the website insisted I never registered it, so I tried to, only to get an error saying it had already been registered. This cycle repeated.

I had to call up to get it fixed and even then they didn't make it easy.
Alright, thanks.

got2bekidding said:
Got my 360 back today. They sent me my old console back which is cool, and it reads games as games again. Only took a week to ship it there, have it repaired, and shipped back to me.
This console has started reading games as DVDs again. I dropped it off at UPS just a minute ago, and here we go again.

Just for record's sake, I believe this is the third time I've sent off a console. If I'm missing anything, just PM me.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
360 #2 is about to die. It's freezing and checkerboarding in RockBand 2. What's the best RROD repair tutorial?

Unless you guys have any useful advice for what to do when your launch-era 360 no longer transmits info through the component cables despite recognizing that they're plugged in:

3/20/06 - 9/16/09.
Goodnight, sweet prince. :'(

strem

Well I went to jump on and play some nhl 2k10 tonight and first thing I see is red lights staring at me, followed by an E 74 message.

Perfect timing with ODST out in a few days followed by all the other good shit coming.

I'm so pissed right now at this POS hardware MS has put out

vermadas

My 360 with a 2006-01-06 manufacture date red ringed for the first time July of last year. I sent it back for repairs. Yesterday it froze on me while tooling around in the dash. Then after booting it back up, it I got one blinking red light in the 4th quadrant with a blank screen. Turned it off and then back on and got the 3 red rings. I did the usual troubleshooting; made sure cables were plugged in tight, tried turning it on without the HD, etc. all to no avail.

It's out of warranty now and I really want to have a working 360 for a party next Saturday. I'm probably going to attempt to open it up and fix it myself. I'll be googling/searching youtube for good guides, but does anyone have one they'd recommend?

alr1ght

why hello thar. I was right. :(
k4cn4y.jpg

here is a guide, but it's impossible to find the correct size washers/hardware locally. http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

Ramenman

aaaaaaaaaaaanndd E74 !

Bought in december 2007.

I'd rather have it now when I don't have anything to play on it for a few weeks though.

So what happens now ? I call them, they insist that I do some common sense test that I've already done twice and they send me a UPS coffin free of charge ?

The E74 did get included into the 3-years warranty did it not ? (because if not I have a warranty extension with my Game store).

Edit : nvm, I just registered it on Xbox.com and it says my warranty is still on until 1/1/2010.
Stupid instruction manual telling me otherwise. So I'll get it done anyway.

Do they charge the UPS fees in some countries ?

TheFatOne

Ok so my brothers 360 red ringed about a month back. He actually gave me his 360 because he wants to get the new elite (COD sku). When I checked online it said that the three year extended warranty had expired. This is actually the second time his 360 red ringed on him. His 360 originally red ringed on him earlier in the year. I thought that the warranty would be from when it red ringed the first time. Is there a way to dispute this? If so what is the best course of action to take? I don't want to spend money on repairs.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
TheFatOne said:
Ok so my brothers 360 red ringed about a month back. He actually gave me his 360 because he wants to get the new elite (COD sku). When I checked online it said that the three year extended warranty had expired. This is actually the second time his 360 red ringed on him. His 360 originally red ringed on him earlier in the year. I thought that the warranty would be from when it red ringed the first time. Is there a way to dispute this? If so what is the best course of action to take? I don't want to spend money on repairs.
Phone them up.

F8AL

Is it normal for my 360 to get the RROD/E74 error then fix itself after a few hours? Cause last week and during the summer I was playing a game and then my 360 freezes so I turn it off and then back on and I see the 3 flashing red lights. I then proceed to leave it alone for a few hours, turn it back on and it works fine. This is my 2nd 360 console after I got a refurbished one back in 2008. (I bought my 360 in 2007 and it got the 1st RROD in 2008 and now the 2nd RROD in 2009)

Anony said:
does having the unit vertical or horizontal effect rrod
There's been some argument on it... but in short, no. There's really nothing the average user can do to stop RRoD, as long as they're not being an idiot with their console. It'll either happen, or it wont.

vermadas

Ugh, opening the case on this thing is a bitch. Having trouble getting the slots on the back to unlock. At least this looks like the hardest part of the fix, besides removing the x-clamps. I really would like to have this thing working again by the time ODST gets here.

Too bad the 360 isn't as easy to open as the original xbox. When I hard-modded mine to install XBMC, I think the hardest part was finding the torx 10 driver to open it up, hah.

Oyashiro

ZZMitch said:
I would hate to be the person who bought a used Xbox 360 at GameStop just to have it RRoD on them first boot...
My friend bought a used one from Game Stop. He's on his fifth one so far. One of them stopped working as soon as he got home, the others varied from a few days to a week or two. None of them ever lasted more than a month. :lol I really don't know why he bought one used, but I am happy for him that he got the extended warranty.

To the experts here, could you guys please help me figure out my problem? I've never even heard of this happening, and I'm not sure if it's some form of RROD or not. A couple weeks ago, I moved to a new place, so my 360 was in a moving box for a while. I set it up here at the new place, but haven't been able to play it for a good 3 weeks because of school and whatnot. Yesterday, I went to turn it on, and the boot screen doesn't come up. It just stays at a black screen. Then I hear the fan get progressively louder, and then the lights on the "ring of light" flash once in a counter-clockwise manner and I get two red lights. Here's the weird thing, though. All the errors I've seen online mention two red lights in the left quadrant of the RoL. My lights are on the top quadrant (top left and top right, when it's placed vertically) Anyone know what this could be? I really doubt it's overheating because it was in a well-ventilated area and I turned it on for the first time in 3 weeks.

alr1ght

Does anyone know the correct part numbers for Home Depot for X-clamp fix parts? All of the ones I've found are outdated. If you've recently done it, show me the parts/tuts you used.

vermadas

alr1ghtstart said:
Does anyone know the correct part numbers for Home Depot for X-clamp fix parts? All of the ones I've found are outdated. If you've recently done it, show me the parts/tuts you used.

I'm planning to use the method this guy used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5axYHeG4Xeo . For the most part anyway (he unplugs the fan to reflow the solder, but someone else's guide recommended having the fan plugged in but only above the CPU so that the GPU is the only thing that overheats. That sounds better to me.)

He keeps the X-clamps and just re-fastens them with #8 washers. I didn't have any problems finding those washers at Home Depot. Granted, I haven't gotten far enough to use them yet...

alr1ght

just doing this now, to try and reflow the solder.

xclamp%20074.jpg

If it doesn't work, I kind of want an excuse to get a nice and quiet Arcade. The fans are in overdrive right now. :lol

imtehman

Banned
what does it mean when microsoft calls you up and asks you to confirm what happened to your Xbox360, then when i check xbox.com it shows that my console which was previously on "waiting for repair" is now on "waiting for console"?

imtehman said:
what does it mean when microsoft calls you up and asks you to confirm what happened to your Xbox360, then when i check xbox.com it shows that my console which was previously on "waiting for repair" is now on "waiting for console"?

Just call them and ask.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I got my 360 back today. It looks like a new, or at least refurbished, model. It's noticeably quieter and the DVD drive looks different.

F8AL

Does anyone know if my Xbox 360 will have all of the improvements? Because I got an e-mail from Microsoft yesterday saying they repaired/replaced (they definitely replaced my 360 console because the serial number is different) my 360 and are shipping it back to me and I just got it back today. I want to know if they replaced my old 20 GB Xbox 360 Pro Console (I bought it in 2007) with a new Xbox 360 Pro with all of the improvements or an old one. Help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360:

"In July 2007, this version of the Xbox 360 began appearing with the Zephyr motherboard (the motherboard used in the Elite) which features HDMI 1.2 output and an improved GPU heatsink. Although this package does include an HDMI 1.2 output, it does not come with HDMI 1.2 cables. Starting at the end of September 2007, the newest systems were shipped with the new "Falcon" motherboard. This motherboard includes the new 65-nm CPUs, making them quieter and cooler than the older systems"

"Since these problems surfaced, Microsoft has attempted to modify the console to improve its reliability. Modifications include a reduction in the number, size, and placement of components, the addition of dabs of epoxy on the corners and edges of the CPU and GPU as glue to prevent movement relative to the board during heat expansion, and a second GPU heatsink to dissipate more heat. It is now clear that these modifications have not only been exclusive to consoles repaired by Microsoft but to new consoles as well."

Thank you!

Top Bottom