• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NA PSN PAX Sale ( it's better the flash sale )

Mathieran

Banned
I've been waiting to get the Bloodborne DLC for so long. Has it ever been on sale??

I remember it was on sale during the holidays last year. I bought it but my only save file was the start of a NG+ So I haven't gotten around to actually completing yet. It's really tough. Wish I had left my save at the end of NG

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Does the listing "Tales of hears R:Tales of hearts season pass" have tales of hearts R with it? Or do you have to buy the one above it first?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Is bloodborne scary? Looks like a horror game and im kind of a wuss when it comes to horror.

It is a horror game through and through in my opinion but not in the sense that you're slow or limited. You're a ruthless hunter with a devastating arsenal of weapons at your disposal you can use to tear the beasts apart. Theres a lot of disturbing yet fantastic enemy design and you get to hunt it all. Whats not to like?

Its not a horror game where you're helpless, its a horror game where you're empowered.

It is a horror game through and through in my opinion but not in the sense that you're slow or limited. You're a ruthless hunter with a devastating arsenal of weapons at your disposal you can use to tear the beasts apart. Theres a lot of disturbing yet fantastic enemy design and you get to hunt it all. Whats not to like?

Its not a horror game where you're helpless, its a horror game where you're empowered.
This is an excellent way to put it. I completely agree. Always remember that you're a hunter. Hunters hunt.

Bloodborne is definitely classic horror and it's more macabre and tense than most modern horror which is filled with jump scares. It's an extremely effective setting that is very important to what the game is.

Bloodborne can't be advocated for or recommended more highly. Get it.

I bought the Bloodbourne DLC awhile ago when it was onsale but don't actually own Bloodbourne so this is pretty tempting.

Unrelated but when has the last time the original Gravity Rush was on sale? Been looking at every single sale for most of the year but haven't see it ever for sale. Would love to try it and the physical edition is sadly far too pricey to get either.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Started playing it today for the first time without VR and it's sublime.

Definitely worth checking out if you dig arcade and rhythm games. It's still super intense without VR

Sold. Downloading it now.

After Nex Machina I need more of these quick pick up and play games with excellent gameplay/music/graphics and high in replay value.

zMiiChy-

Banned
I bought the Bloodbourne DLC awhile ago when it was onsale but don't actually own Bloodbourne so this is pretty tempting.

Unrelated but when has the last time the original Gravity Rush was on sale? Been looking at every single sale for most of the year but haven't see it ever for sale. Would love to try it and the physical edition is sadly far too pricey to get either.
I swear it was half-price at least once this year.

How unbearably awful is the PS1 version of FFVI? I've been meaning to pick it up from the Wii VC to play but playing it on a handheld just sounds so much more appealing. And I can't be bothered to go hunt down a GBA copy with all the bootlegs out there flooding the market

Load times are horrible, and the translation is very shoddy.

My wife bought a bootleg copy of VI for her GBA and it actually works great.

Bowl0l

Does the listing "Tales of hears R:Tales of hearts season pass" have tales of hearts R with it? Or do you have to buy the one above it first?
The season pass is a consumable one time use only DLC that makes the game easier. It also doesn't come with the game and costumes.
Avoid it like it's the plague.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How is FFVI on the PS3? Since on Steam it's a big NO NO.

Also, it appears PS4 is the difinite place to get FFVII, but what about FFVIII? Ps3 emulated or Steam?

I don't recall the PS1 version of FF6 being great. Loadtimes being long and having a rough translation(SNES carryover?)

If the character sprites on the Steam version are unappealing, your best bet is probably finding a way to play the GBA port(lots of added content and a much improved translation).

Oh and FF7 on PS4 has undergone scrutiny for having a few bugs that Square supposedly never patched and ignored. Biggest being the music restarting after every encounter(meaning you hear the first 10 seconds of the environment tracks and never the rest of the song). May need correcting if this was fixed eventually, but many have argued that it is not the definitive version as hoped.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just curious is Mad Max worth it at 8 dollars? I love the movies, but never had faith in the game.

It's fantastic. Expect to have your jaw drop the first time you drive on the wasteland and once again during your first radiation storm.

Just beware the going for 100% is a tedious and repetitive affair where much of the complaints stem from. The critical path is pretty great though. Good characters, great combat, driving feels good. Spend the $8.

Luminaire

Yes, it's just the emulated PS1 version, which is a more direct port of the SNES version. It might be the version to go considering the horrible Steam version, though. How horrible are these loading times, I wonder?

I haven't started it up, but I have it on Vita. I imagine it's not too bad digitally with Disc Speed - Fast on. I might test it.

Does the PS1 version also have a shit localization? Or was that just FF5 on PS1?

I don't recall, I know 5 was pretty bad with Y Burns and all that.

Luminaire

Is bloodborne scary? Looks like a horror game and im kind of a wuss when it comes to horror.

Horror in a Lovecraft / Cosmic / Gothic Horror sense. It's not about trying to scare you, but to make you feel tension, make you feel disturbed and uncomfortable, and at the same time empower you to face these things. There are disturbing creatures that want to kill you, but you can fight back. At times you are the aggressor, the predator, and the whirlwind of violence. Other times, you are running from that, just barely scraping by with a single vial of health left. It plays on a lot of things, and while there are no real jumpscares, you will likely get startled at some enemies who seem to pop out of nowhere.

It's all about dread, the unknown, fighting horrific monstrosities that sometimes have no rhyme or reason to exist. It's about overcoming these impossible odds. It is not survival horror, but more of an action horror. You have all the tools you need, and as you become more skilled, you struggle less and gain more confidence. It's probably as 'scary' as Resident Evil 4 or 5.

MikeyB

If this sale is a sign of things to come, I think I may let myself fall a generation behind. Those are great PS3 games at a fraction of the cost.

This sale also makes me wonder whether a console will ever be made with PS3 backwards compatibility. The library is so damn deep. While there is probably some economical logic behind it, it will be a shame if the PS3, PSP, and Vita games get buried by the unavailability of devices to play them. However, seeing how they have treated classics on the PS4, I don't have too much hope.

MikeyB

Anyone want to recommend games from the list? Just what games you think are worth getting.

Bloodborne for sure. Transistor for sure. Dragon's Crown if you like beat em ups and don't mind ridiculously proportioned characters. Crypt of the Necrodancer is supposed to be awesome. If you have sone friends with PS3s, then you should all get Borderlands 2. The memes are painful now though.

Top Bottom