• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco announces Pac-Man Museum for WiiU/PS3/XBLA/PC/3DS and Pac-Man CE DX+

Jucksalbe

Banned
The game is up on PSN.
$20. The Ms. Pac-Man DLC is also up, but it's not free at the moment.

Edit: Haha, the demo version is absolutely useless. The only game you're allowed to play is Pac-Man CE.

Roto13

Someone buy it and see if you can turn off those crappy borders. The demo only lets you play Championship Edition (which I thought was dropped from the collection but whatever)

RedSwirl

One question about Museum: Does the PC version work with DirectInput controllers? Like say, a non-Xbox USB arcade stick?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Reposting from PSN thread:

Quick look (I'm cooking supper, give me break!) seemed to show:

+ The pop-up when you start says Ms. Pac is free
+ Does include real console version of Pac-man CE.

- Battle Royale not networked
- No screen options
- Terrible interface
- Can't see how to get Ms. Pac. :(

Help.

jon_dojah

Banned
^Same here can't figure out how to get Ms. for free either through the game or PS Store. Battle Royale not filling up the whole tv screen kinda sucks too but at least playing on my 73" alleviates that somewhat. Only 1 cpu in single player. Overall a little disappointed but at least I didn't spend $5k on the BR cabinet and I would've easily put $20+ into the arcade versions I've played on.

steveovig

I can't believe the price of this thing. It's nice that all the games have Leaderboards but not that nice. As stated, the demo sucks and I've already deleted it from my HDD.

Aversion

Banned
1080p native or go home. Who the hell makes a facking 720p only pacman game? I mean for the love of god what an odd and terrible decision.

Lijik

I can't believe the price of this thing. It's nice that all the games have Leaderboards but not that nice. As stated, the demo sucks and I've already deleted it from my HDD.

I would have bit instantly if it was half the price. I dont know who they're trying to lure in at 20.

zeopower6

^Same here can't figure out how to get Ms. for free either through the game or PS Store. Battle Royale not filling up the whole tv screen kinda sucks too but at least playing on my 73" alleviates that somewhat. Only 1 cpu in single player. Overall a little disappointed but at least I didn't spend $5k on the BR cabinet and I would've easily put $20+ into the arcade versions I've played on.

Yeah... I think they may have just priced it incorrectly for now. Maybe we just have to wait for them to adjust the price to Free?

MrDaravon

Wait, there's NO online play for Royale? Can we get confirmation on this? That was literally the only thing I was interested in this for.

This kind of price gouging for incredibly sub par classic offerings is beyond old, and it's shitty. Pretty much the only solid offerings that have been put forth by publishers all of the last gen - in terms of collections, not single games - is the Sega three-packs from a couple years ago. It's just so disheartening to me that we can't get classic games done right at a fair price.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Wait, there's NO online play for Royale? Can we get confirmation on this? That was literally the only thing I was interested in this for.
There are no options to do so. Starting a game brings up what appears to be local-only player choices. And the game description on the store doesn't mention any network requirements.

Roto13

Not only is there no online play for Battle Royale, but you can only play against one CPU Pac-Man in single player.

UberTag

Real shame that Namco fucked this collection up.
We've been patiently waiting for networked Battle Royale - and we're still waiting. Idiots.

Allforce

How the fuck in this day and age can you fuck up Pac Man?

Just put the Battle Royale game up for 9.99 and make it full screen with some online options. This isn't a goddamn MMO.

I was just about to buy this and noticed it has NO online play. WTF Namco?!
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

dock

Not only is there no online play for Battle Royale, but you can only play against one CPU Pac-Man in single player.
What the hell?!

I'm lucky enough to have played Battle Royale in the arcade in Norwich. My girlfriend played with me, and there were two CPU opponents. You could play single player if you wanted. :( What a disaster.

Can someone please explain to me the differences of CE and CE:DX.

I keep googling around but I'm not getting definite answers here. Should I bother with this Museum or just go for CE:DX?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Can someone please explain to me the differences of CE and CE:DX.

I keep googling around but I'm not getting definite answers here. Should I bother with this Museum or just go for CE:DX?
Having played CE DX first, I really don't understand CE. Someone who really got into it while it was hot on the Xbox 360 can probably say.

For both, you eat the dots on each half of the maze, and that puts a fruit on the other half. Eating that fruit then puts up new dots where you just ate them all, but in a different pattern. Repeat.

With CE DX, you add ghost trains -- the ability to get dozens of ghosts following you around the maze in a long line. Then, if you collect enough, you eat a power pill and eat all the ghosts in one swoop, garnering tons of points and jacking up the speed of the game. Repeat. You try to maximize your score in 5 or 10 minute game modes.

Also, CE DX adds a slow-motion feature where you have a moment to get out of a tight spot because the game goes into a dramatic slowdown when you're in danger.

CE DX+ is the same as CE DX, but with a handful of extra mazes and an interface that makes you want ot hurt someone.

Roto13

The ghost trains are pretty much the main addition to CE DX. The CE stage is in CE DX and it plays pretty differently just because of the ghost trains. And the bombs.

CE DX is much bigger and better than CE. CE is still worth playing on its own, I guess.
I heard Battle Royale was bordered too, wasn't the original 16:9?

It's like those shitty 8/16bit home computer ports all over again.

It's widescreen, but it's bordered. Same with Pac-Man Arrangement.

And yes, it is EXACTLY like those 8/16 bit home computer ports. Whatever team did this apparently hasn't learned to deal with those old limitations because the only game without a border is the only game that was a console game first, Championship Edition.

I just want CE on the 3DS eShop for $5! I have Dimensions, but I want the luxury of having CE as it's own thing freely accessible from the 3DS menu without having Dimensions in the card slot!

ibtd9h8W9cdWco.png

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Steam Sale? Steam Sale.

I mean how bad is this Namco. I already got pissed that they cancelled the Wii U versions and was ready to only get this game on PC for BR. But even that has been borked. Oh well Namco, I can wait you out.

nullset2

Pac man BR, you say? I've always wanted to try that game.

Shame that Namco is so weird with their stuff and release standards.

20 dollars? No online play? 720p only? No widescreen? Gimped version of Battle Royale? No handheld SKU of any kind? Are they trying to sabotage their mascot?

kitsuneyo

Reposting from PSN thread:

Quick look (I'm cooking supper, give me break!) seemed to show:

+ The pop-up when you start says Ms. Pac is free
+ Does include real console version of Pac-man CE.

- Battle Royale not networked
- No screen options
- Terrible interface
- Can't see how to get Ms. Pac. :(

Help.

So this has gone from my 2nd-most-anticipated game on Wii U to something I wouldn't even buy if it hadn't been cancelled on Wii U. Great work, Namco!

Slightly off-topic but does anyone know if the DS Pac-Man World 3 was anything like the first two games?

I'm a little late, but DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

I loved Pac-Man World 2 on GameCube and wanted to flesh out my DS library. So I bought PMW3 DS day one. But it is some of the most empty, boring, un-fun crap you'll ever stick in your system. And I do not often hate on games in this fashion. It's just boring, junky, bad. Avoid at all costs, please.

So... what the fuck were Namco doing all this time? Shit got delayed, two consoles had their ports completely canceled - for a subpar collection lacking features, including a version of Pac-Man Battle Royale that effectively removes the BATTLE ROYALE functionality from the game.

How do you need an extension on a package that seems thrown together in less than a week? Did they forget they'd announced it until just before the New Year and went "OH SHIT, THAT'S RIGHT, WE GOTTA MAKE THIS HUH?"

I wouldn't be surprised if this was like the Atari port of the original Pac-Man. One dude had six weeks to knock it together and whatever was done by then got released.

So... what the fuck were Namco doing all this time? Shit got delayed, two consoles had their ports completely canceled - for a subpar collection lacking features, including a version of Pac-Man Battle Royale that effectively removes the BATTLE ROYALE functionality from the game.

How do you need an extension on a package that seems thrown together in less than a week? Did they forget they'd announced it until just before the New Year and went "OH SHIT, THAT'S RIGHT, WE GOTTA MAKE THIS HUH?"

I wouldn't be surprised if this was like the Atari port of the original Pac-Man. One dude had six weeks to knock it together and whatever was done by then got released.

I'm gonna guess they're banking entirely on Dark Souls 2, so they're focusing very hard on it.

Otherwise I couldn't say.

jon_dojah

Banned
I was on the verge of buying the cocktail-style cabinet a year ago after spending a crap load of tokens at an arcade during my snowboard trip.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054NYLTY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Simply because there was no console version or an announcement for one. What deterred me is obviously price but more so that I dont really have space in my small apartment. I already have a pachinko machine, a pachislot and a ddr platform. I was relieved and so excited for the console release when I learned about it in September. When it got delayed from its Christmas release it really had me worried especially when the Nintendo version were chalked.

In the grand scheme of things getting this crappy Shamco job of a port of an awesome arcade game is still very much worth the $20 I spent. I'm actually going snowboarding this weekend and will be at the arcade I was at last year. So I will get to play the real deal. I could easily spend $20+ on that between me my girlfriend and her son since we spent about that much last year.

They already killed any interest in me buying by not including CE+ or having a Wii U/3DS/Vita release. Shame, since I really liked Battle Royal down the shore.

hitsugi

CE DX+ is the same as CE DX, but with a handful of extra mazes and an interface that makes you want ot hurt someone.

Yeah, if I could have opted out of CE DX+ I would have just due to how horrific the interface is.

I'm a little late, but DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

I loved Pac-Man World 2 on GameCube and wanted to flesh out my DS library. So I bought PMW3 DS day one. But it is some of the most empty, boring, un-fun crap you'll ever stick in your system. And I do not often hate on games in this fashion. It's just boring, junky, bad. Avoid at all costs, please.

Looks at least a decent ride. I can handle it just to experience another true 3D platformer on a DS/3DS, there really weren't many aside from Mario 64 DS and 3D Land.

I have Rayman 3D on 3DS which is based on the DC version of Rayman 2 and it's sketchy. It's unpolished and doesn't maintain 60fps much, only in a few spots. Should've at least went with the PS2 version as the base if they couldn't match the DC version's reported flawless 60fps.

Maybe Sonic Boom 3DS by Sanzaru will fill this void. Lost World 3DS is looking like very not worth the trek because of its HORRENDOUS padding.

rekameohs

Banned
The 3DS cancellation doesn't sting as bad now that I'm hearing the quality of the ports themselves aren't that good. Can I just get CE on 3DS, please? And I don't mean that Galaga retail game; just a real simple digital download...

Top Bottom