• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco teasing Pacman & Galaga 3DS [Up7: Tekken, Soul Calibur, Tales, Ono, Vesperia?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

A Tale of two Richards. Hrm.

Couldn't they just release Graces & Graces F? Bloody unlikely, but for max sales I guess. At least the voicework would be done for both versions. They might would have to do a little more for the PS3 version, since it has more stuff.

jdevil99

Graces was extremely good. I have to say the the the battle system in it was the most addictive for me since Symphonia on GC, but that's just me. It'll be a great addition to the US Tales game library if true. Although, any game from the series would be a great addition since the Tales release schedule stateside is on shakey ground at best.

vall03

just announce something Namco! first their were announcements of announcements, then countdowns and now cryptic puzzles?! what the hell are game companies gonna do next?!

timnich

If it is graces, that sucks for the translation team doing the fan translation. They are pretty far into translation last time I checked. Would have been better if it was the new PS3 Tales, but I guess we should be glad with what we get considering it's namco.

RPGCrazied

timnich said:
If it is graces, that sucks for the translation team doing the fan translation. They are pretty far into translation last time I checked. Would have been better if it was the new PS3 Tales, but I guess we should be glad with what we get considering it's namco.

It could be Graces F. If it is, then they can keep on doing it. If its both versions, well, they can find something else to translate? I'm sure they would rather do something else. They are only doing it cause Namco is sitting on the Tales of Games here in the states.

How about Tales of Destiny II? No, not Eternia. How about Rebirth? Tales of Hearts?

RPGCrazied said:
It could be Graces F. If it is, then they can keep on doing it. If its both versions, well, they can find something else to translate? I'm sure they would rather do something else. They are only doing it cause Namco is sitting on the Tales of Games here in the states.

They've already started on Tales of Vesperia PS3.

Rpgmonkey

RPGCrazied said:
How about Tales of Destiny II? No, not Eternia. How about Rebirth? Tales of Hearts?

If you're going to say Tales of Destiny II spell it as Tales of Destiny 2. It's the proper name for the actual sequel anyway. :p

And there's a translation in the works for all three of those.

RPGCrazied

Rpgmonkey said:
If you're going to say Tales of Destiny II spell it as Tales of Destiny 2. It's the proper name for the actual sequel anyway. :p

And there's a translation in the works for all three of those.

Bah. <_< So they've been working on it for 8 years now? That game came out in 2002.

Rpgmonkey

RPGCrazied said:
Bah. <_< So they've been working on it for 8 years now? That game came out in 2002.

Phantasian products has had the prospect (?) of a translation for it sitting around for a while now.

I thought the story and characters were horrible (even worse than the usual Tales standard of crap) and there's more than enough material to understand the gameplay for those who don't know Japanese, so I would just import it at this point, but that's just me.

RPGCrazied

Rpgmonkey said:
Phantasian products has had the prospect (?) of a translation for it sitting around for a while now.

I thought the story and characters were horrible (even worse than the usual Tales standard of crap) and there's more than enough material to understand the gameplay for those who don't know Japanese, so I would just import it at this point, but that's just me.

I'll say it once, I'll say it twice. I can't play a game via a faq. I don't find that fun, considering most of them are just partial translations and not everything that goes on in the game. What all the NPC says, yes I talk to all of them. What the entire story is about. I cannot play an RPG soley on its gameplay.

Also. I couldn't learn Japanese even if I wanted too, not to talk down about myself, but really am not capable of doing that.

Vanille

The Praiseworthy said:
So for those who finished both ToV and ToG... which one had the better story \ characters \ music and world ... and of course the battle system?

Story: Vesperia
Characters: Vesperia
Music: Vesperia
World: Vesperia
Battle system: Graces

Vanille said:
Story: Vesperia
Characters: Vesperia
Music: Vesperia
World: Vesperia
Battle system: Graces

I knew it.... :(

It's like middling in Xenosaga Series and then canceling it after they forced it to fail with EpII wasn't enough reason for me to hate them.... now I have to add Vesperia to the list.

Datschge

I prefer Graces over Vesperia, but Graces is definitely the less "epic" one of the two (a fact I actually appreciated).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Praiseworthy said:
I knew it.... :(

It's like middling in Xenosaga Series and then canceling it after they forced it to fail with EpII wasn't enough reason for me to hate them.... now I have to add Vesperia to the list.
What list? You are not making any since here.

I wonder if Namco would do both versions of just the PS3 version, I think they may be better off with just the PS3 one due to how much more content there is in it compaired to the Wii Version.

Vanille

RPGCrazied said:
Oh, and its not good? Well, I'm easily amused. I've liked all the Tales of stories so far, I'm sure this will be no different.

Even by Tales standards, it's bad. Not quite on the same level as DotNW, but it's down there. Character development is almost non-existent, the scope is extremely limited, and much like Vesperia the villains are incredibly underwhelming, only it's far more noticeable due to the lack of anything interesting happening elsewhere. Even the skits are charmless and boring.

RPGCrazied

Bad or no, I'll still buy it. I loved the demo, even tho I understood none of it. It had to be okay, for them to do another version with more content in it. I seriously doubt its worse than Tempest, the worst Tales game.

Rpgmonkey

canova said:
This thing better be ToGF AND ToV on PS3

Typically when they announce a localization of a Tales game, anything that was unlocalized before it isn't coming over and never will. So...yeah.

RPGCrazied said:
I seriously doubt its worse than Tempest, the worst Tales game.

That would be VS.

wrowa

RPGCrazied said:
Bad or no, I'll still buy it. I loved the demo, even tho I understood none of it. It had to be okay, for them to do another version with more content in it. I seriously doubt its worse than Tempest, the worst Tales game.
There's an OT for Tales of Graces right around the corner, if you want to read impressions that's the right place to look for them.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382219

This is the review Bepbo wrote, for example.

Is it the best Tales yet? There's really no good answer to this. In a lot of ways it is. It's the best playing one and the most fun one. On the other hand it lacks the big explorable world, epic story, and great cast that Abyss had. Regardless of if it's the best Tales or not, the fact it's even up for debate should say enough about the quality of the game. Standing head and shoulders over most of the Tales franchise and being better than any jrpg released on the HD systems, Graces is a must play game for any rpg fan, Tales fan or not.

The Praiseworthy said:

You... do know that Tales of Vesperia came out in English, right?

Datschge said:
Don't listen to Vanille, it's obvious the game struck all the wrong chords of him.

Without having played Graces specifically, I think almost any "broad consensus" view of the Team Destiny games would agree that they have extremely poor stories in comparison to the Team Symphonia games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm around 10 hours into Graces F and it's definitely one of the better RPGs this generation. Have yet to play Vesperia, but I recently picked that up as well, so it's in the backlog queue.

RPGCrazied

I kinda want a Graces F wallpaper now. Must... hold... out... until official announcement! Do they get air travel in the game? Most Tales games have that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
I'm around 10 hours into Graces F and it's definitely one of the better RPGs this generation. Have yet to play Vesperia, but I recently picked that up as well, so it's in the backlog queue.

Is the story engaging enough?

I mean, I was OK with FFXIII and Star Ocean 4's story. :p

I thought the World Map in Vesperia was dumb anyway. Do we really need 20,000 varieties of bugs & birds? Looking for materials in out of the way stumps? I'm glad they streamlined that mess.

Definitely plan on getting Graces F if this is for real.

FSLink

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Nice read. Ugh. No world map? Its not like DoTNW is it? 40hours seems okay to me, but is there like Arena and Devil Arms?
no world map, but it's not point and click like DoTNW. It's a world map that's integrated, so you walk routes between towns and shit.
There's an arena, no Devil Arms....Devil Arms are a Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia type thing.

Story seemed all right, standard Tales fare.

Rpgmonkey said:
Typically when they announce a localization of a Tales game, anything that was unlocalized before it isn't coming over and never will. So...yeah.

Yep. Still waiting for a The Best! re-release of Vesperia PS3, though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
It hasn't made me cringe like the story in those two games, if that helps.

I guess that's good enough!

Though is it true that this game has only one or two towns?

Beck

A lot of mixed opinions here. I'm personally around 20 hours in and think it's a good game, but the world and very lack of exploration is bugging me. The fact that for the first 15 hours it held my hand to the point where I was unable to go anywhere except where it was telling me to annoyed me, putting up invisible walls to other parts of the map and my character telling me that's not where I'm supposed to go. Gameplay is excellent and a couple of the characters are interesting (I really enjoy Sophie and Malik's interactions, but think Cheria and Asbel are a little dull and have very little courage to step in in question something or do what's right), but the lack of exploration is what gets me... well I suppose it could open up in the next twenty hours. Since I'm a big Tales fan I would probably have to buy it again if it was localized =P

ULTROS! said:
Is the story engaging enough?

I mean, I was OK with FFXIII and Star Ocean 4's story. :p

Sir, please stop using that a proper gauge for the average RPG fan. I'm still baffled how you use that as matter of endearment really. Now I found the narrative & plot for Abyss to be tolerable sans Luke whining, if it's along those lines or better I'll be able to maintain sanity enough to care to move on.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ULTROS! said:
I guess that's good enough!

Though is it true that this game has only one or two towns?

I'm only 10 hours in, so I'm not sure. I've been to three different ones already though.

The Praiseworthy said:
I'm talking about PS3 version .

It's never coming out. Play the version that came out or import it and play it in Japanese (or, I guess, wait and see if anything happens with the fan translation.) Being platform picky about Tales games in English is even sillier than it is in general.

Rpgmonkey

distantmantra said:
Yep. Still waiting for a The Best! re-release of Vesperia PS3, though.

Bet they're just delaying it because the game's actually doing pretty well compared to how the series has been fairing nowadays.

Only way I'm ever getting it, so if it's never rereleased I guess I'm just going to pass, lol.

RPGCrazied

FSLink said:
no world map, but it's not point and click like DoTNW. It's a world map that's integrated, so you walk routes between towns and shit.
There's an arena, no Devil Arms....Devil Arms are a Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia type thing.

Story seemed all right, standard Tales fare.

Oh, well. I think I'll like it just fine then. :) Bring it on. I need more jRPG's to play. I can only play Vesperia so much. ;/

Rpgmonkey said:
Bet they're just delaying it because the game's actually doing pretty well compared to how the series has been fairing nowadays.

Only way I'm ever getting it, so if it's never rereleased I guess I'm just going to pass, lol.

Yeah. When I was in Japan last April, used copies were still going for 5,000-6,000 yen. I was surprised. Should've bought it, seeing how it's cheaper than my options back in the States. Oh well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rpgmonkey said:

Considering it's still $70-$80 in most places... I think they'll hold out on a Best version for as long as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom