• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Wishes - Tales of Graces F (Spoilerific) Import Thread (now with more PS3!)

kiryogi

Banned
toglogo.png

Title: Tales of Graces/F
Platform: Nintendo Wii/Sony Playstation 3
Theme and Genre: To Understand the Power to Protect RPG
Developer: Namco Tales Studio - Team Destiny (Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Rebirth)
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Character Design: Inomata Mutsumi
Release Date: December 10th, 2009/December 2nd, 2010
Score: Famitsu - 9/9/9/9 (36/40) ), Graces F Famitsu Score: 10/9/9/9 (37/40) 2nd highest ever score for a Tales!
Theme Song: Mamoritai ~White Wishes~ by BoA
Official Site: http://tog.namco-ch.net/, http://tog-f.namco-ch.net/
Controllers Supported: Wiimote+Nunchuk, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro. Graces F: Sixaxis, Dualshock 3

Media

1st Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShjxR5LJ1a8
2nd Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSKILwHb94
3rd Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb0QdfOp_Mw
CM 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Das580FyFQc
CM 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfNxDHZ97M
CM 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iunW3-f91No
Blast Calibur Exhibition (Spoilers?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2LIcfktnFU

togstory.png

In the world of Efinea, people use a substance called Arles which is composed of another substance called Cryas which has allowed civilizations on Efinea to flourish. On Efinea there are three kingdoms: Windol, Strata, and Fendel, which are competing for dominance of Efinea.

In the remote region of Windol lies the city of Lhant. The eldest son of the feudal lord Aston, Asbel, is a bright and cheerful boy who spent his childhood like any other carefree boy does: enjoy everyday together with his irreplaceable friends. After an unknown incident occurs, a strong determination awoke within him which led him to enlist himself in a knight's academy in the capital.

Seven years later after the incident. In his eighth year, Asbel has grown up and established himself as a fine knight. Thus begins our tale...

Cast

togasbel.png

The eldest son of the feudal lord of the Lhant territory, located along the border of its country, the Frontier Kingdom of Windol and its neighboring country, Fendel. Born as the feudal lord's son, he has been raised to become the next lord by his father and his butler Frederick. Due to that certain incident however, he developed strong feelings to become a knight, so he admitted himself to a knights' academy in the capital. There, he spent the years dedicated to his training, and soon enough, he grew up into a diligent and polite young knight. When he was young, he was a cheerful, straightforward and honest young boy. As he grew up however, he became the type who would hide his true passion and enthusiasm within himself. He often takes care of others, and can't leave them alone when in face of a problem
Voice Actor: Takahiro Sakurai

togsophie.png

Asbel happened to meet her in the middle of a battle during a dispute at the border between Lhant and Fendel, against Fendel's military. This girl who has an innocent atmosphere about her is actually quite used to combat, and was able to help Asbel in repelling Fendel's troops. She has lost her memory, though it isn't exactly a necessity to her unless it concerns interacting with other people. Asbel named her after a flower he himself is affectionate about.
Voice Actor: Kana Hanazawa

toghubert.png

Asbel's brother who is younger by a year. Though he was a quiet and obedient person in his childhood, he has been disciplining his own nature to have a persevering strength. He currently holds the status of Major in Strata's military. He seems to harbour feelings of depression when around his brother.
Voice Actor: Takahiro Mizushima

togcheria.png

The granddaughter of the butler working for the Lhant House. She has a good personality which lets her face difficulty with cheerfulness. Though she holds feelings for Asbel somewhat, she's the type who just won't be honest to him about it. She has strong feelings about being useful to the Lhants for she has been living with them all this time.
Voice Actor: Shiho Kawaragi

togpascal.png

A genius technician Asbel meets along the course of his journey. She has problems reading the atmosphere in situations and doesn't really choose her words that come out of her mouth
Voice Actor: Kana Ueda

togmalik.png

Asbel's honored and excellent instructor from the knights' school. He is an adult man who can be both somewhat frank and in composure. His weapons are boomerang-shaped blades. Asbel looks up to Malik as his "ideal self".
Voice Actor: Hiroki Touchi

togrichard.png

The Prince of the Frontier Kingdom of Windol. He has a peace-loving personality and has earned the respect of all people throughout the nation. He places tremendous trust and fellowship in Asbel ever since they were just children.
Voice Actor: Daisuke Namikawa

toggameplay.png

Style Shift Linear Motion Battle System (SS-LMBS)
In this system, characters have two different fighting styles to choose from. Skill of either style can be set to both the A and B buttons, and the player is able to freely switch between the styles in battle. Normal attacks are now gone with this change. (Almost) When using A style, you'll be executing strings thru a tree that progress up in CC cost. For example, you'll start off with the normal hit @ 1CC, and go all the way up to 4CC before the attack string ends. Now what's different here is the branch you take getting there. You will have a wide variety of artes to choose from in A style, but they can only be used in certain progression. For example, let's say Sword Rain is the 3rd left handed hit in the string. You'll only be able to do it when you reach the 3rd part of your attack string. Now on the other hand, B style is executed more like traditional Tales Artes and can be intermixed however you want provided you have the CC available.

Chain Capacity
togchain.png

In Tales of Graces (And more recent Team Destiny titles), you execute artes by consuming Chain Capacity points. (CC, the little number shown below the battle portrait) Every movement or attack you execute will comsume a set amount of CC. CC can be replenished in a very quick manner by being idle or executing tactical manuvers.

Around Step
togstep.png

Around Step is the new movement system that allows you move around in a 360 angle. Use it to avoid enemy atttacks. However, when a well timed Around Step is used to dodge the opposition's attack, you'll regain a significant amount of CC.

Character Change
togchar.png

Real time character change! (This is not completely new but it's apparently a feature) You can change to any other party member that's currently in play by using the appropriate shortcuts (On Wiimote, its the D-pad)

Arles Gauge and Blast Calibur
togarles.png
togcalibur.png

The Arles Gauge shows the power of a phenomenon that occurs from battle called "Arles". The top bar shows the Arles you and your party members have accumulated, while the bottom bar shows the Arles the enemy has accumulated.

The Arles Gauge will rise from actions taken during battle, with properly timed dodges and blocks offering the largest increase; the same is true for your enemy's gauge

When your Arles Gauge becomes full, you'll enter a state called "Arles Rise" in which the full power of Arles is released. During this time, you will have unlimited CC and can perform any attack unhindered.

After you have acquired Blast Caliburs(Mystic Artes), a Blast Calibur Gauge will replace the Arles Gauge during Arles Rise. It builds up by using attacks during Arles Rise, and is needed to perform Blast Calibur.

On the other hand, when the enemy's gauge becomes full, they will enter a state called "Arles Break". During this time, enemies will not flinch from your attacks. In addition, during boss fights, the boss can use its Blast Calibur, so you'll want to be careful.

Arles Pot
togpot.png

The Arles Pot is the Team Destiny's cooking replacement. (Seen before as the Recovery Stone in Tales of Hearts) You get a pot filled with Arles energy that will heal you for a certain amount in battle if particular conditions are met. Such as Party HP @ 60% or 30 seconds into battle. You can set this by placing different dishes into the pot. Each dish has different conditions that trigger them. And once triggered, will use a certain amount of energy from the pot to heal you. Energy can be refilled in town by NPCs for a cost.

Alias
togalias.png

Titles, now known as Alias take on a different role in Graces. Alias are used to learn different abilities and A/B style artes via skill points accumulated during battle. Since there are so many different alias for each character, the game will automatically change the alias when you reach a certain rank within an alias. But you can set this however you want. Be it change @ Rank up 1 or change @ master rank.

Dualize
togdual.png

This is Graces crafting system. With dualize, you can combine enemy parts to make even better parts. You also use it to combine foods and make dishes that can be used in the Arles Pot. Finally, you can also use it to upgrade your equipment. This can be done @ any merchant npc.

Kamenin Merchant
togkame.png

You'll meet these turtle costumed merchants all over the world. You can talk to them to play the rpg minigame "Kamenin Merchant" via wireless download play on your DS. It's also available on the DSi shop for 200 points.

Carta
togcarta.png

This card minigame is based off an old japanese poetry game. Someone reads out a saying from various different characters from the Tales universe and you need to match it up with character that says it before your opponent does. Tales fanservice!

Seed Gathering
togseed.png

All around the world you'll find seeds scattered about. You can collect them and plant them in Cheria's garden in Lhant. Is there any reason to complete this? Maybe there's some special item you can get!

Impressions
placeholder

For more Tales of Graces and Tales of discussion, stop by the Tales IRC channel! http://www.taleschannel.org

kiryogi, I remember you mentioned that with around step free run isn't so much a necessity in as it functions well within the LMB. Would you say that free run is more of an after thought with the around step mechanic used effectively?

batbeg

I hope the around step makes free running entirely pointless, as I find the free-running battle systems to feel too loose and barren on the battlefield.

That's an excellent OP, and gave me tons of information I hadn't myself searched out. I wonder if that fanservice minigame would be cut out if they decide to localize this; it isn't like they have a huge amount of titles to take quotes from :-/

Lucis

So I am guess almost no one is playing this?
I am playing this until I receive FF13
I really want to like this game, but it bugs the hell out of me how much a fucking clone is Asbel compared to Suzaku. Personality wise, the voice. They are nearly identical. And I am a Suzaku hater =(

O and Chelia > Sophie

Kusagari

Kirashi said:
I really want to like this game, but it bugs the hell out of me how much a fucking clone is Asbel compared to Suzaku. Personality wise, the voice. They are nearly identical. And I am a Suzaku hater =(

O and Chelia > Sophie

... I do not like the sound of Asbel basically being Spinzaku.

xero273

Kirashi said:

O and Chelia > Sophie

I'm playing it, but only am couple hours so not much to say. Can't blame you for comparing Asbel to Suzaku. Since character design it pretty much looks like Suzaku and VA for Asbel is same VA for Suzaku.

farnham

Banned
great OP

im pumped about everything i read about this game..

looks really great

but ill wait for the NA or European version

simply because of my lacking japanese skills

i bought a lot of import Japanese RPGs like Pokemon, Monster Hunter 3, DQ 9 and Its a Wonderful World.. but i never finish them because of some damn kanji that i cant decipher.. (i suck i know)

rykomatsu

I want to pick this up eventually, but with FF13 this week and AT3 next month, it'll probably be atleast late Feb before I can even consider snagging a copy :/

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Regulus Tera said:
But Pascal > Chelia so hah!

Truth has been spat. I could tell it without knowing any Japanese, just from watching someone play this game on justin.tv.

I really hope this gets localized =\

stalker

jeremy1456 said:
So I must know from someone who is playing it - Is Graces better than Vesperia?

I think the OP said so in the other thread, but let's hope for more detailed impressions

jeremy1456

Princess Skittles said:
Based entirely on the Team Destiny vs. Team Symphonia dynamic, I'm going to assume an easy YES.

I haven't played a Team Destiny game in forever... THANKS Namco...

I was going to make a similar assumption, but I'm holding out for detailed impressions.

Lucis

xero273 said:
I'm playing it, but only am couple hours so not much to say. Can't blame you for comparing Asbel to Suzaku. Since character design it pretty much looks like Suzaku and VA for Asbel is same VA for Suzaku.

I don't mind the character design and VA as much... but I am more talking about the character is nearly a suzaku clone personality wise.
I am almost 10 hours in and I have to say the story is pretty much emo fest right now. (what can you expect out of Suzaku Jr?)
The battle system isn't that bad though, the use of CC (kinda like Rebirth's force field thing) make it so that you don't haven't to worry about AI going OOM as much. However since the "normal" attack chain also use CC it kinda bugs me since I am still not used to that.
the worst part
FREE RUN USES CC ARG

Sagitario

I just watched the swimsuit video: :lol @ Malik!

The battles are awesome!
I can't wait for this game, I've high hopes for its localization...

ivysaur12

Banned
Interesting that the battles seem to be in rectangles. Does this ever cause any issues getting caught in corners? Also, I am definitely going to use the Arles Pot. Sounds great, as opposed to cooking in most Tales games.

kiryogi

Banned
Kirashi said:
I don't mind the character design and VA as much... but I am more talking about the character is nearly a suzaku clone personality wise.
I am almost 10 hours in and I have to say the story is pretty much emo fest right now. (what can you expect out of Suzaku Jr?)
The battle system isn't that bad though, the use of CC (kinda like Rebirth's force field thing) make it so that you don't haven't to worry about AI going OOM as much. However since the "normal" attack chain also use CC it kinda bugs me since I am still not used to that.
the worst part
FREE RUN USES CC ARG

AROUND STEP.

Urban Scholar: Correct.

sonitii

Nice first post. I want to import this but sadly I don't know a lick of Japanese. I've been watching some streams online and it's looking awesome.

Also had a listen to the English version of White Wishes. Lyrics are kind of cheesy but the fact that it exists bodes well for English localization of the game I would think. Just wish they would announce it already. :lol

Lucis

drthkid said:
Nice first post. I want to import this but sadly I don't know a lick of Japanese. I've been watching some streams online and it's looking awesome.

Also had a listen to the English version of White Wishes. Lyrics are kind of cheesy but the fact that it exists bodes well for English localization of the game I would think. Just wish they would announce it already. :lol

no... that's just BoA lol

kiryogi

Banned
Kirashi said:
Around step takes cc too

Not as much as freerun does. And the game rewards you for using around step! Honestly if you're complaining about freerun, you're doing it wrong.

Lucis

kiryogi said:
Not as much as freerun does. And the game rewards you for using around step!

I guess I am too used to vesperia (was playing that on ps3 before this) and freerun def has a lot of use, especially to get around enermy to go to sneak back to the bow/magic users.

Hopefully the character development keeps ramping up like Vesperia, they have some fertile ground here.

One clarification: are ALL costumes gotten via d/l or are some still earned in-game?

kiryogi

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
Hopefully the character development keeps ramping up like Vesperia, they have some fertile ground here.

One clarification: are ALL costumes gotten via d/l or are some still earned in-game?

No it's a mix of ingame and DLC. It seems like the BoA and Vesperia outfits despite being DLC are actually on disk. But the Idolmaster and Miku outfit aren't.

Hmm... I didn't like Abyss.

I also am a little confused about the battle system. I'll still pick it up in English, though. It'll be the first Tales game I ever bought (besides given to me or borrowed).

Does anyone know if the skits are voiced? Ever since ToS2, I decided that any game that has them are practically must-buys. :lol

Peff

Why would you do that? said:
Does anyone know if the skits are voiced? Ever since ToS2, I decided that any game that has them are practically must-buys. :lol

They are, and they're also different from the usual talking heads thing.

kiryogi

Banned
Hmm... I didn't like Abyss.

I also am a little confused about the battle system. I'll still pick it up in English, though. It'll be the first Tales game I ever bought (besides given to me or borrowed).

Any mainline tales has voiced skits, and this is no exception. And yes as mentioned they're not the talking box heads. They're full size pictures of the characters, something Team Destiny has done since the beginning. But they're going beyond the call of duty this time. They also included new emotional expressions in a comedic manner. As can be seen in the bullets for my Story and Gameplay pictures. What don't you understand about the battle system?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Watching this high-quality stream here and I'm loving the music! Also no loading at all when starting a battle, but it seems to load just a bit returning to the map.

Can't wait for this to be localized.

Peff said:
They are, and they're also different from the usual talking heads thing.

That's very good, then. :D

kiryogi said:
Any mainline tales has voiced skits, and this is no exception. And yes as mentioned they're not the talking box heads. They're full size pictures of the characters, something Team Destiny has done since the beginning. But they're going beyond the call of duty this time. They also included new emotional expressions in a comedic manner. As can be seen in the bullets for my Story and Gameplay pictures. What don't you understand about the battle system?

Oh... I haven't played any Team Destiny Tales games, come to think of it...
As fat as the battle system, it's mostly about the CC system, which introduced a lot of questions, but some of them have been cleared up with gameplay videos. Reading about it, I was afraid that it would overcomplicate things a little, but it doesn't seem to in videos.

Firestorm said:
The skits are always voiced in Japanese. Only Vesperia and Symphonia DotNW have been voiced in English so far.
Really? Did not know that. Actually, I thought the 360 Vesperia skits weren't voiced in Japan, and the PS3 one having voices was a feature.

Rpgmonkey

Want this so bad...

Seems like one of the most polished Tales games in a good while. My only real criticism on the couple of things I've watched of the game is that when it comes to the Blast Caliburs/Mystic Artes, I don't feel Team Destiny managed to completely move the craft that they basically perfected in their 2D games to 3D just yet.

Peff

Really? Did not know that. Actually, I thought the 360 Vesperia skits weren't voiced in Japan, and the PS3 one having voices was a feature.

The extra voices were for the cutscenes that weren't voiced in the 360 version, but yeah, the skits were dubbed.

Interesting that the battles seem to be in rectangles.

Not all of them are, some are the classic circles, but neither causes movement problems.

I'm hyped for this too, hopefully it won't take the usual year+ to be localized for Europe
because yes, it's a matter of "when", not "if"
. The battle system is really fun and allows for some sick combos, the graphics are very good and polished and the game seems to be quite meaty.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So does Graces explain the battle system, etc in game as well as Vesperia did, or does it just throw stuff at you without properly explaining it like Symphonia, and to a lesser extent, Abyss? Because I really liked that Vesperia actually took the time to explain its various systems and introduced them at a good pace (even if I did know of most of them beforehand).

Rpgmonkey said:
Want this so bad...

Seems like one of the most polished Tales games in a good while. My only real criticism on the couple of things I've watched of the game is that when it comes to the Blast Caliburs/Mystic Artes, I don't feel Team Destiny managed to completely move the craft that they basically perfected in their 2D games to 3D just yet.

I agree with this and they seem more like Mystic Artes, though I guess it's not easy pulling off what they did in 2D games in 3D...

Either way I think the blast calibers are badass, especially Asbel's 2nd and 3rd, Hubert's 3rd, and Cheria's 3rd.

Peff

grandjedi6 said:
So does Graces explain the battle system, etc in game as well as Vesperia did, or does it just throw stuff at you without properly explaining it like Symphonia, and to a lesser extent, Abyss? Because I really liked that Vesperia actually took the time to explain its various systems and introduced them at a good pace (even if I did know of most of them beforehand).

Even though it still takes time to get the hang of it, yes, there are several forced tutorials at the beginning (nothing too long, at the start of a random battle maybe you'll get "Try pressing Z+the stick for an Around Step") and there are also several tips after every battle for some time. It's probably not as detailed as Vesperia with Tweedle A and B but it gets the job done.

kiryogi

Banned
That's very good, then. :D

Oh... I haven't played any Team Destiny Tales games, come to think of it...
As fat as the battle system, it's mostly about the CC system, which introduced a lot of questions, but some of them have been cleared up with gameplay videos. Reading about it, I was afraid that it would overcomplicate things a little, but it doesn't seem to in videos.

Not at all. CC in fact is so much better than TP. TP management was always a major pain. CC and alike leaves little micromanagement since it regains by itself in a fast manner. But it's still restricted in a sense so that you can't completely abuse it. Or at least until later in the game (EG was extremely abusive actually in Hearts) XD

Rpgmonkey said:
Want this so bad...

I think they got it right. At least compared to Team Symphonia. They're short and fast, but visually intense. And I agree, it is the most polished. I think it's better looking overall compared to Vesperia, just thrown back that it's in an SD resolution. The cutscene direction is probably the best I've ever seen for a tales. And they do a lot more than that with the camera. They actually introduce some camera work into the fanfares. The transitions are for the most part really smooth. Just going back onto field has a little loading (Vesperia has me spoiled on that) But going into battle and into fanfare, it's just really fluid.

Great thread! :) Gonna be importing this is a week or so hopefully. Decided to go with this over FF XIII as I can wait 3 months for it in English, whereas Graces will likely be a much longer wait.

Vesperia was one of my games of 08, as well as one of my favourite RPGs ever and I hope this is as least as good as it.

Datschge

Kirashi said:
I guess I am too used to vesperia (was playing that on ps3 before this) and freerun def has a lot of use, especially to get around enermy to go to sneak back to the bow/magic users.
But free run is slow and takes you out of the linear battle mechanics. You have got the right idea, now execute that the fastest way possible: two around steps into the direction where no other enemy stands in the way, and you can hack away at the weak point from the backside. Team Destiny battles are all about speed, so enemies often react as fast, so with free run you don't just lose massive CC you should use for attacks instead, you also don't gain much advantage, especially not compared to all the faster steps variants (back, forward and around) and combining them with changing target you get the range of free run at a higher speed.

cosmicblizzard said:
I heard the world map is point and click. Is that true? Do the fields make up for a lack of a world map if so?

Only for vehicles like airship and boat. Otherwise when you're walking around there's a field. I'm guessing the field is big but I haven't played the game and that's as far as I know...

Bel Marduk said:
Only for vehicles like airship and boat. Otherwise when you're walking around there's a field. I'm guessing the field is big but I haven't played the game and that's as far as I know...

Hmmm. Well, I guess that's better than nothing. I'm going to miss flying over the world map in some messed up space ship/sky jetski, but at least there's still a focus on exploration.

Top Bottom