• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Wishes - Tales of Graces F (Spoilerific) Import Thread (now with more PS3!)

xero273

ccbfan said:
How are the loading times?

The last tales game I played (TOA) has horrendous loading times.

I use usbloader so I don't know if that makes a difference in loading times, but transitions to battle is really quick. Moving to another screen loading is maybe 2-3 seconds. It's not that long.

Rpgmonkey

kiryogi said:
I think they got it right. At least compared to Team Symphonia. They're short and fast, but visually intense.

The ones in Graces remind me a lot of Destiny 2's, where they go over-the-top with the speed, camera movements, and effects so that even the party's best ones are pretty short, but they're super-extreme.

Kinda preferred the slightly longer, but still speedy ones of Destiny PS2, but oh well.

Tenbatsu

Iwata Asks
mainimg.jpg

http://wii.com/jp/creators-voice/index.html

Proven

...How often do they do an Iwata asks for third party games? This looks big...

Also, does this game have local co-op play? It's a deal breaker for me between buying and renting.

Netto-kun

Wops, didn't notice this thread and posted in the info thread instead.

"Small update from the official website: Looks like you'll find a download code in this weeks issue of Shounen Jump (a weapon for Sophie), and a new challenge battle."

grandjedi6 said:
So does Graces explain the battle system, etc in game as well as Vesperia did, or does it just throw stuff at you without properly explaining it like Symphonia, and to a lesser extent, Abyss? Because I really liked that Vesperia actually took the time to explain its various systems and introduced them at a good pace (even if I did know of most of them beforehand).
Yup, plenty of explanations just like in Vesperia.

kiryogi

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I heard the world map is point and click. Is that true? Do the fields make up for a lack of a world map if so?
It takes after the Hearts world map, as in that it's all interconnected and seamless.

Proven said:

Also, does this game have local co-op play? It's a deal breaker for me between buying and renting.

Just a creator's voice, not an Iwata asks.

mugwhump

Goddamn the battle system looks awesome, sounds like defense is actually important/fun now :0
Any good vids?

kiryogi said:
In the world of Efinea, people use a substance called Arles which is composed of another substance called Cryas
sigh

If there's another SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE plot twist I'm gonna choke a bitch

xero273

Proven said:

yes, local co-op is in

kiryogi

Banned
No translations on the iwata asks yet? Its neat tho. My first time ever seeing inomata. And yeah datschge got it right on the free run vs around step. I meant to explain >< but it really is the superior option of the two. All free run is good for in graces is escaping battle.

Datschge

mugwhump said:
What's that blue bar below your HP for?
Not sure yet, but I think it's the Blast Caliber gauge rating your offense/defense playing style (increases on successful attacks and defenses, decreases on being hit and running around, depends only on the active character unlike the Arles Gauge). When in Arles Rise (occurs on full blue bar on the left, giving you unlimited CC for its duration) and your BC gauge (or whatever it's officially called) is full you're allowed to make a BC (also called Hi-Ougi or Mystic Arte in past games). The gauge seems to be able to go through multiple levels later one for different BCs where available.

Proven

xero273 said:
yes, local co-op is in

Awesome.

I'm afraid to look to the streams though, thanks to spoilers (I even skipped over all the character profiles... I'm probably going to have to stop visiting this thread soon). If there's any multi player footage out, let me know.

Datschge

Proven said:
If there's any multi player footage out, let me know.
The multi player footage won't look different from single player ones really. The player will just want to adapt the camera setting (can be done on the fly in battles) which allows to change focus between active characters, all characters (I guess both behave the same if four players play the characters) and whole field. Additionally there's the ability to change the zoom level freely anywhere between close up and bird view-ish.

FSLink

Banned
There's some codes out there to get the preorder BoA and ToV costumes, I could post those if it's allowed.

You can't unlock the Hatsune Miku or the Idolmaster costumes without buying the DLC in the in-game shop because they aren't on the disk.

Quick question, what does the "CC+5" or whatever mean when I dodge right when an enemy hits me? I don't think it actually recovers that much CC, right?....I can't tell since I'm still at the beginning of the game.

Datschge

FSLink said:
Quick question, what does the "CC+5" or whatever mean when I dodge right when an enemy hits me? I don't think it actually recovers that much CC, right?
Yes, it actually recovers that much. Due to the CC reward dodging this way allows you to make a big counterattack.

kiryogi

Banned
FSLink said:
There's some codes out there to get the preorder BoA and ToV costumes, I could post those if it's allowed.

You can't unlock the Hatsune Miku or the Idolmaster costumes without buying the DLC in the in-game shop because they aren't on the disk.

Quick question, what does the "CC+5" or whatever mean when I dodge right when an enemy hits me? I don't think it actually recovers that much CC, right?....I can't tell since I'm still at the beginning of the game.

Correct you are actually recovering that much CC. As I said before, they reward you for using Around Step. I mean heck, if you start off battle and just dash up and around step to their back, you get CC+1 right there. I need to explain CC further more but I'm back to work again. But I'll update the OP on friday. One thing to note though. your character has a minimum and maximum amount of CC. You always start off battle with that minimum. So let's say Asbel is usually 6~12. Asbel will start off with 6 CC. As you use tactical maneuvers and counterattacks, you'll regain CC and break out from that minimum. Which can eventually hit that max of 12 CC.

FSLink

Banned
Haha, I see. Just didn't expect it to recover that much so early on since it was a bit different in DestinyR. Thanks.

kiryogi

Banned
FSLink said:
Haha, I see. Just didn't expect it to recover that much so early on since it was a bit different in DestinyR. Thanks.

And a little more, that also answers a previous poster's question.

The blue bar below your battle portrait is the critical gauge. It determines how much CC you can regain from your actions. The gauge goes up and down depending on how you're doing and if you're at the lowest point, you actually drop down 1 CC. Also, considering it's name, you can also get a free critical with it.

I'll add this, groovy chat and other bits I missed tomorrow sometime.!

mugwhump

OK OK so A-style attacks have 4 levels, each level has 4 attacks you can do, and you progress linearly through the levels right? If you throw a B-style attack in there do you stay at the same A-style level? How does that work?

And for the critical bar, when it fills it raises your maximum CC for that battle by 1, until your CC reaches its... maximum maximum?

FFFFFF I want this so bad

xero273

mugwhump said:
OK OK so A-style attacks have 4 levels, each level has 4 attacks you can do, and you progress linearly through the levels right? If you throw a B-style attack in there do you stay at the same A-style level? How does that work?

So in the game you have CC1, CC2, CC3, and CC4. These are the 4 levels for your A style. Let's say you do a move from CC1 and CC2. Then you switch to B style attack. When you switch back, you start at CC2 again. I think that is how it goes.

Netto-kun

Shounen Jump code for Sophieæs weapon:

JUMPSPDLWJ

They also added another code (a weapon for Hubert) which can be found in this weeks Famitsu. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

FSLink

Banned
Netto-kun said:
Shounen Jump code for Sophieæs weapon:

JUMPSPDLWJ

They also added another code (a weapon for Hubert) which can be found in this weeks Famitsu. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
Where do you type this code in anyway?...

Netto-kun

FSLink said:
Where do you type this code in anyway?...
From the title screen: Network Contents (bottom) -> Input Download Code (middle).

More codes, this time from Famitsu and V Jump.

VJUMPSPDL (Accessories for all characters)
WFAMTSUHU (Weapon for Hubert)

kiryogi

Banned
I think I'm at least 2/3s thru now :lol Seems like the typical finish time is around 30-35 hours or so. Typical Team Destiny otherwise. Of course, for me, you add like an additional 20 for exploration and sidequesting. I'm @ the 40 hour mark myself. On another note, it's nice to see Sakuraba revisiting celtic style again. There's also a celtic battle theme in Graces, something he hasn't done since Rebirth I believe.

Just got this earlier this morning and, before I start into it, I've been looking for an menu/options translations to get me started. I found a short options translation and was wondering about the difficulties. It seems to be simple, normal, second, hard. What is normal difficulty like? I played Vesperia on its lowest difficulty and was able to comfortably get through it. As this is in Japanese, I would like a similar experience so was thinking of starting on simple but not if it changes anything such as taking over control of my character during battles and so on.

tl;dr: About to start the game, does simple difficulty still give me as much control over my character/party as normal difficulty?

Datschge

JustAnotherOtaku said:
tl;dr: About to start the game, does simple difficulty still give me as much control over my character/party as normal difficulty?
Is this your first Tales game? Control of characters doesn't depend on the difficulty level. Instead you can set manual/semi-manual/auto for each character (semi-manual being standard for the player character, and auto even allowing you to make the computer take control of all characters). Difficulty is the difficulty of enemies in battles as well as the amount of rewards you get for beating them. ToG's standard is normal, but many people (likely Tales veterans) called even hard easy. I wouldn't set difficulty to easy unless you absolutely have to (you can change difficulty at any point in the game, so get comfortable with the battle system, set it high and subsequently lower it until the battles feel fun to you without being too hard or too easy). Also the menu layout is mostly the same between all Tales games, and being able to read Katakana pretty much gives you an interface mostly in English.

A setting in the options typical for Team Destiny (and sorely missing in Team Symphonia games) is the second one which makes speech text bubbles proceed in a natural way (in the speed people talk) without user intervention (default is off, I suggest on unless you can read Japanese but not fast enough to keep up).

Datschge said:
Is this your first Tales game? Control of characters doesn't depend on the difficulty level. Instead you can set manual/semi-manual/auto for each character (semi-manual being standard for the player character, and auto even allowing you to make the computer take control of all characters).

Nope, I've played 5 before Graces. I'm familiar with the manual/semi-manual/auto setup but thanks for clarifying :)

Difficulty is the difficulty of enemies in battles as well as the amount of rewards you get for beating them. ToG's standard is normal, but many people (likely Tales veterans) called even hard easy. I wouldn't set difficulty to easy unless you absolutely have to (you can change difficulty at any point in the game, so get comfortable with the battle system, set it high and subsequently lower it until the battles feel fun to you without being too hard or too easy). Also the menu layout is mostly the same between all Tales games, and being able to read Katakana pretty much gives you an interface mostly in English.

Thanks, that's good to know as I started Vesperia on normal and changed to easy when I felt it getting a little tougher.

A setting in the options typical for Team Destiny (and sorely missing in Team Symphonia games) is the second one which makes speech text bubbles proceed in a natural way (in the speed people talk) without user intervention (default is off, I suggest on unless you can read Japanese but not fast enough to keep up).

Will do, cheers!

Firestorm

ONM is quite possibly the worst source of information there is. The amount of times they have been wrong is mindboggling.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Firestorm said:
ONM is quite possibly the worst source of information there is. The amount of times they have been wrong is mindboggling.
The most appropriate example being when ONM listed Mother 3 in their GBA list just like Graces appears here.

The_DIMD

Neo Member
Well, I guess the girlfriend finally gets the Wii she wants... Because I'll be playing this game the second it comes out... Such a chipmunk gift, but whatever :lol .

Thanks for all the info!

mugwhump said:
graceslocalizedonm.jpg

Possible localization? :0

Oh holy mother of all that is good please make this come true >(

ToG bring it on.

Seriously, I want to play this game really badly as I LOVED Vesperia and Ratatosk :D

My copy of the game arrived about 2 weeks ago but now that I've finished some other games, I finally got round to starting this today. Put just over 4 hours in and so far, I'm very impressed. I'm enjoying the battle system a lot, although I'll not be able to get too in-depth with it until (if?) the game gets a release outside of Japan.

Just wondering how I can buy the DLC costumes? Haven't poked about the main menu too much so I assume it's there somewhere?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ivysaur12 said:
Any translations on the Iwata Asks? I know ToG isn't that popular, but it still would be an interesting read.
Yeah, how did Graces end up doing? I don't really follow Japan sales-age more than what's convenient, so I wouldn't know...

Bebpo

Banned
JustAnotherOtaku said:
My copy of the game arrived about 2 weeks ago but now that I've finished some other games, I finally got round to starting this today. Put just over 4 hours in and so far, I'm very impressed. I'm enjoying the battle system a lot, although I'll not be able to get too in-depth with it until (if?) the game gets a release outside of Japan.

Just wondering how I can buy the DLC costumes? Haven't poked about the main menu too much so I assume it's there somewhere?

3rd option on title screen. Gives you a shop where things cost wii points. Costumes are there.

Firestorm

doomed1 said:
Yeah, how did Graces end up doing? I don't really follow Japan sales-age more than what's convenient, so I wouldn't know...
It came out around the same time as FINAL FANTASY XIII. So just take it from there.

Been playing this a lot this week and am around 13 hours in. So far I'm really enjoying it. Vesperia is my favourite RPG of the generation and this may become my number one after I finish it. Although at the moment, while it's enjoyable, the combat, music, locations etc are, IMO, not quite up to Vesperia standards. Cast is better overall though, mainly due to Pascal who is definitely my favourite Tales character and one of my favourite in any JRPG.

As I don't know enough Japanese, the intricacies of the combat system are lost on me, so I would definitely re-buy this if/when it comes to the US so that I can fully benefit from it and the story.

For those that have played this, where would you rank it on a list of your favourite Tales of games? Favourite Graces characters?

Top Bottom