• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Wishes - Tales of Graces F (Spoilerific) Import Thread (now with more PS3!)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This needs to come to the US, hopefully sometime in June 'cause then I can ask for my birthday in early July! :-D

FSLink

Banned
Farore said:
WOW! Are the bugs/glitches that bad?
They mostly affect 2nd playthrough stuff completionist stuff. If you plan on playing through the game through New Game+, just look up what they are.

Does the main dude look like a poor Elvis impersonator to anyone? :lol

I've seen some pretty bad outfits in the Tales games but this one takes the cake, IMO.

I love the series but sometimes these anime-ish character designs are just too much!

The game is probably a great Tales game though, according to Famitsu's high reviews. I hope it comes here. The Wii needs more RPGs.

Kishgal

Banned
So I'm a bit late to the party here, but I wanted to wait until I could get the fixed version before I started. I'm about 4 hours in
met up with Richard at Baronia
, and all I can say so far is that it's really fun. The CC system plus the step around feature are just wonderful, as is the concept of the critical gauge for making you perform as well as you can in battle. The CC bonus you get for side stepping just before an attack lands on you is great, and it's an implementation of one of my absolute favorite action game features - timed dodging/blocking. I also really like the title system in this one. Seems like the best implementation yet.

The game is surprisingly light on skits, especially for a Team Destiny game (it is one, right?). I'm used to like 4-5 skits basically saying the same thing after each event in their games, but the amount so far has been pretty low. I'm sure I've missed some, too, though, since they appear to be fairly contextual based on your location and whether you've made discoveries or not, etc. Also, the synopses are really sparse compared to what I'm used to in other Tales games. 4 hours in and there's only 3 one-page entries that don't say a whole lot.

Still, overall, I'm having a great time. I don't want to be so quick to say it's my favorite Tales battle system, but it at least has a ton of potential. I'm looking forward to gaining access to B styles and any other additional features.

Datschge

Overall there are still over 300 skits, it's just that you don't get them automatically anymore but have to activate them in the right locations so they are missable in a way.

Regarding Tatsuro Udo's ("Team Destiny") battle system it definitely trumps all previous 3D ones, and I'm looking forward to seeing with what takes on it he comes up in the next game. I also hope Takashi Hasegawa ("Team Symphonia") took note of Graces and is finally less conservative with his next game's battle system.

Have fun with your play through. =)

Kishgal

Banned
Yeah, the battle system is wonderful. I'm not sure if I like it more than Rebirth's or not just yet, but it's still great. I just got access to the B style and stuff, so battles have gotten even more interesting. I also just tried the Turtle Merchant DS minigame and it's a really cool idea. I did one floor and got a bunch of stat raising items available in the shop. It'd be cool if more Wii games had connectivity like that.

How does the combat system hold up to Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc. ?

Tales games are fun but always seem simplistic in comparison to those.. I've only played the US releases like Abyss, Symphonia, Vesperia, Destiny 1 and 2, etc.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
mjemirzian said:
How does the combat system hold up to Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc. ?

Tales games are fun but always seem simplistic in comparison to those..

o_O

Every system is simplistic compared to those...

darkwings said:
I hope that we're not have to rely on fan subs for this game :/

We are getting this in Western regions, I'm sure of it.....I hope. I mean Tales of the Abyss can't be the only Tales of game I have

kiryogi

Banned
For those of you that imported and did the replacement program with NCSX, they finally received the first batch! They'll be shipping out today. Maybe I'll actually finish it up now :lol

xero273

mugwhump said:
I... don't suppose Namco made a localization announcement at E3? D:

no, they said nothing. Could always wait until December. That would be 1 year since the game came out. If you don't hear anything by then, it isn't getting localized.

There are fan translations in the works, so with any luck we might be able to play this by 2012 or 2013.

I actually went on GameFAQs today (yeah, I know...) and saw that someone just released a work-in-progress patch which translates some of the menus, so you could always try that out if you don't care about missing the story.

Beth Cyra

I keep hearing about this game and I like to give games I hear about alot a try so I can at least join in the conversation.

Well the thing is I really found Tales of Symphonia to be boring and I hated the characters, would it be wise to import this? Or should I just steer clear with how I felt about ToS?

xero273

Glass Soldier said:
Nice! How does the FF4 translation exactly work? I remember reading that you don't need to hack your Wii for it to work.

From what I read, the files that are needed to run the Fatal Frame 4 translation are loaded onto the SD card. You just download the files. Follow the instructions. Put files that are needed onto SD card. Go into the SD card channel on the wii and follow on screen prompts and it should work.

xero273 said:
From what I read, the files that are needed to run the Fatal Frame 4 translation are loaded onto the SD card. You just download the files onto the sd card and open the sd card in the wii and follow the instructions from there.

Cool. If they finish Graces I'll import both games.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
xero273 said:
From what I read, the files that are needed to run the Fatal Frame 4 translation are loaded onto the SD card. You just download the files. Follow the instructions. Put files that are needed onto SD card. Go into the SD card channel on the wii and follow on screen prompts and it should work.

Do that meant I have to buy japanese wii in order to run ToG?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
xero273 said:
no, you don't need to.

Alright, how? I have NA Wii but if i decide to order ToG when translation is done. How the heck my NA wii would running the game?

(I know people would say homebrew but I don't think I want to do that)

xero273

IntelliHeath said:
Alright, how? I have NA Wii but if i decide to order ToG when translation is done. How the heck my NA wii would running the game?

(I know people would say homebrew but I don't think I want to do that)

The patch will allow you to play your jpn game on your NA wii.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
xero273 said:
The patch will allow you to play your jpn game on your NA wii.

oh wow.. that's awesome :)

instant buy for me then.

Edited: so do that meant other translation would do same thing for Rebirth and ToD remake? or is it just for wii translation?

This is great news. The group are going to do a fantastic job, and they're also pretty quick. I'll need to keep an eye out for a cheap copy of Graces that I can import now.

xero273

IntelliHeath said:
Edited: so do that meant other translation would do same thing for Rebirth and ToD remake? or is it just for wii translation?

No, the method they are using is for wii only.

Synless

The Alchemist Penguin said:
This is great news. The group are going to do a fantastic job, and they're also pretty quick. I'll need to keep an eye out for a cheap copy of Graces that I can import now.
When you find it, let me know as well.

Graces is supposedly going to PS3 in Japan... Sony fans can get in on the import fun. Still no word on NA/EU release.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/28/new_tales_for_ps3/
Namco Bandai will be bringing Wii's Tales of Graces to PS3. The game will carry the name Tales of Graces F when it arrives this Winter.

PS3 players can expect a number of improvements, including added special attacks for battle, a new outfit for pigtailed heroine Sophie, and the expected visual improvements.

Edit: AND i missed this thread, all about the new Tales news: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402422

Cruceh

Banned
Are there any characters that leave for a prolonged period of time in this game? I usually play as the main character in Tales games, but I want to try something different here. I want someone that's going to stay in the party forever. I'm still at the part where they're still kids, but Richard seems so strong! Sophie is okay, but I don't really like her aerial attacks.

Bebpo

Banned
Well since Kiryogi made such a nice OT for Graces last year, I figure it's best to use it for discussing ToG-F as well instead of making a separate thread.

Got mine today. Installing now. Game requires a full 4.5gig install :X and has a reversible cover:

graces01.jpg

graces02.jpg

The DLC store is up and full of ridiculous stuff. Code Geass costumes are $5+ per character and then you can pay $2+ to unlock costumes normally unlockable in the game already. They're also getting ready to charge for items and SKITS. Wtffffff. There's a free skit up now, but if they start charging for skits they're going off the deep end. But unfortunately, as Vesperia showed, in terms of DLC Tales is the new Id@lmaster. So expect hundreds of dollars of DLC for costumes, accesories, items, skits, whatever.

And this is on top of a game that costs $90 for an upscaled Wii port with extra features :| Over the years with all their prices and milking I feel like I've been single handedly keeping Namco in business :lol

graces03.jpg

Still need to get Vesperia PS3 someday. Was waiting for the price to crash in the used market, but it's still $65+ :(

Anyhow impressions in bit.

kiryogi

Banned
Alright so I got caught out of left field for this. I guess I preordered it awhile back, and forgot about it. And was basically not gonna get it. But ncsx emails me saying I got decline. (As I wasn't prepared for this) However, I guess I'm gonna bite. Might as well ! :/ I just gave NCSX the go ahead to try again. Fuuuuck 95$ D:

My copy's en route, delivering programmed for tuesday, I can't wait. And I will buy, like Vesperia, all the DLC available :lol

And Bebpo, if you want I still have a ToV ps3 untouched with DLC card included if you want :lol Bought two 'cause I wasn't sure I would get the preorder bonuses, and since then I'm stuck with it >_<

Netto-kun

Bebpo said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/graces03.jpg
Wow, that's quite the collection, even the Fandom games and Tempest. I still need to get the Inomata artbook.

I ordered my copy from Amazon and had it shipped to my friends japanese address. Hopefully I'll get the game before Christmas.

Since Bebpo posted his collection, here's my game collection along with some of the official guide and scenario books.

SSL22296.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmm, so yeah the game is a little sharper, the colors are much better (very apparent in the anime fmvs), and less jaggies so the hairlines don't shimmer everywhere. Loading seems about the same as Wii version, maybe a tad bit faster.

otoh, the game is identical. From reading the manual it seems like the new Accel Meter isn't even in the main game and is only part of the future chapter. I wouldn't even be surprised if all the new hi-ougis are in there as well. So it seems like the main chapter is left completely untouched.

Which is a little annoying since you can't play the future chapter until you have a clear save from the main chapter. I'm kind of ranting but P3 FES was essentially the same type of re-release with new chapter and it was done way better. In FES you could start right at the new chapter or if you wanted to replay the main game there were a bunch of new additions to motivate a 2nd playthrough. There's really no motivation to replay Graces besides clearing it as fast as possible to unlock the new chapter. So I'll probably just speed run it, skipping all the cutscenes/skits. The gameplay is still really fun, but no interest in watching all the cutscenes again. The story was fine, but it's been a year and I can still remember it :p Just wish you could have started at the future chapter. The trophies seem pretty bland. Mainly just "collect x amount of titles" for each character, clear the game on every difficulty, and probably a bunch of story progression unlocked ones.

One thing that's kind of nice about replaying Tales games at least is the fact that most of the characters are fun to play as, so you can focus on different characters each time. I mainly just used Asbel in the original, so I'll try using Sophie as my main this time around.

What did seem new to the PS3 version is a challenge mode. You load up your save and different challenges are unlocked depending on your highest character level. The challenge battles pit you against a set group of enemies/bosses and your scored at the end (I'm guessing scored by speed?). You get a set item for clearing a challenge that goes back into your save file for use in the main game and you can compare online leaderboards for highest scores for each battle. Though the leaderboards seem busted. You can only see the top 10 scores and the bottom 10 scores right now....^^; The battles are kind of fun enemy groups though and getting some unique/good items to take back into your game should be cool. Still there's only 27 challenges total and by the end you need a lvl.175 character to unlock the last one, so....

InternHertz said:
My copy's en route, delivering programmed for tuesday, I can't wait. And I will buy, like Vesperia, all the DLC available :lol

And Bebpo, if you want I still have a ToV ps3 untouched with DLC card included if you want :lol Bought two 'cause I wasn't sure I would get the preorder bonuses, and since then I'm stuck with it >_<

I know how you feel. I still have two Xenosaga Episode 2s with one shrinkwrapped :( Not only do I have doubles, but I have doubles of the worst game in the series!

I'll send you a pm about that Vesperia.

Bebpo said:
Well since Kiryogi made such a nice OT for Graces last year, I figure it's best to use it for discussing ToG-F as well instead of making a separate thread.

Got mine today. Installing now. Game requires a full 4.5gig install :X and has a reversible cover:

The DLC store is up and full of ridiculous stuff. Code Geass costumes are $5+ per character and then you can pay $2+ to unlock costumes normally unlockable in the game already. They're also getting ready to charge for items and SKITS. Wtffffff. There's a free skit up now, but if they start charging for skits they're going off the deep end. But unfortunately, as Vesperia showed, in terms of DLC Tales is the new Id@lmaster. So expect hundreds of dollars of DLC for costumes, accesories, items, skits, whatever.

And this is on top of a game that costs $90 for an upscaled Wii port with extra features :| Over the years with all their prices and milking I feel like I've been single handedly keeping Namco in business :lol

Still need to get Vesperia PS3 someday. Was waiting for the price to crash in the used market, but it's still $65+ :(

Anyhow impressions in bit.
Even I own ToV PS3 JP import and you call yourself a Tales fan. I'm just messing with you. ;)

Anyway, very impressive Tales collection. I am disappointed to hear about the install for ToG F. My HDD is almost full and don't really need another install right now (I ordered the Asia version at Play-Asia for under $60 using a coupon).

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, it's a bit annoying everything wants an install these days. To make some room I deleted my GT5 data since I'm not going to play it for a few months until they've patched the thing a bunch.

Top Bottom