• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Wishes - Tales of Graces F (Spoilerific) Import Thread (now with more PS3!)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dear Bebpo and Kir,

Why did you both choose to get the JP version for 95 and not the Asian version for 65?

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Dear Bebpo and Kir,

Why did you both choose to get the JP version for 95 and not the Asian version for 65?

Wanted to make sure I got the pre-order goods; wasn't sure about their availability with the asian version & dlc off the JP PSN will only work with the JP version in case I ever want to get ripped off. A lot of the dlc is on the asian PSN as well, but as duckroll pointed out the Code Geass costumes are missing from the first batch, probably because of licensing issues.

kiryogi

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Dear Bebpo and Kir,

What Bebpo said. Well here's hoping I still get it despite my delay of payment :lol

BoilersFan23 said:
Even I own ToV PS3 JP import and you call yourself a Tales fan. I'm just messing with you. ;)

Anyway, very impressive Tales collection.

He should have his own copy of ToV PS3 JP next week!

Impressive yeah, but I just saw he didn't get Tales of Versus on PSP, or at least it's not on the photo itself.

And I still have one untouched here at my home...yes I bought 2 of them (+3 times the music single for each of the DLC codes, UMD, CD, CD+DVD versions :lol), like Vesperia, just to be sure I got all preorder bonuses. If you're interested, you know where to find me Bebpo :D

And so I didn't get my Tales of Graces F todayn as expected, I hope it's coming tomorrow...and I hope it'll be delivered while I'm still at home, or I'll have to wait another day before I can play :( Well, I can always pass the time by playing WoW Cataclysm >_<

Bebpo

Banned
haha, yeah I passed on Versus. In general, even as a collector, I tend to only buy games I will actually play. Tales of Vs. just didn't look appealing at all to me :X and I didn't pick up ToD2/ToR PSP ports because they didn't really add any substantial content to get me to replay them. Only reason I got ToE PSP was because I still hadn't played my PS1 version at the time and playing it on PSP was more convenient.

Usually if I'm just filling in a collection I wait until the next time I visit Japan and grab them from the bargain bin.

Anyhow regarding ToG-F, I've been reading the gamefaqs thread a bit and one of the sparse changes to the main game is that the difficulty levels have been upgraded. F's 2nd = original hard, F's hard = original evil, F's evil = original chaos, F's chaos = new highest difficulty. Also you unlock the ones post-hard by doing 200 battles on the current highest difficulty (so you don't have to beat the game to unlock them, which is nice).

Bebpo

Banned
kiryogi said:
Live Steam!

http://en.justin.tv/balmung59#/w/623599296

Super neat that ToD2 costumes give the ToD2 battle theme. Really hope I get the preorder bonus. My copy just shipped :D

Edit: I've also updated the OP with specs on Graces F.

Wait, what, I'm watching the video and Richard is in the party? I thought he was only added as playable for the future section of the game. Or am I forgetting a section where you get him in Graces? The stream is only lvl.27. Though I guess the stream guy might be doing the challenge mode and you can use Richard there?

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:
Wait, what, I'm watching the video and Richard is in the party? I thought he was only added as playable for the future section of the game. Or am I forgetting a section where you get him in Graces? The stream is only lvl.27. Though I guess the stream guy might be doing the challenge mode and you can use Richard there?

Yknow. Thinking about it, I don't recall if Richard is playable originally in that section or not. But story wise I know he's definitely supposed to be there. And there was a point where he was playable for a little in the present arc.

And yeah Otaku, I'm feeling the same. Watching this reminds me of how this is like the best Tales LMS to date and is hyping me to replay it. XD Still uneasy about going thru main quest again tho.

jae

My copy of the game had a DL code inside, which I thought was weird. I also got the pre-order bonus, which was the code I used. The extra code is specific to the Asian store, but it should still work fine w/e version of the game you have. If anyone doesn't get a pre-order bonus I can hook them up with the code.

I really enjoyed Graces the first time, same for the replay. I grew fond of Asbel while playing NDX, so I'm actually using him this time.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm reading the new story is <10 hours just like the Leon side of ToDr DC. Hmmmm, not a lot of new content for 8000yen price. If you haven't played the Wii one it's not bad (although the visuals are obviously lacking for a ps3 title), but if you've played through Graces it seems kind of a ripoff.

Should've been a 2000yen DLC chapter like the Disgaea 3 expansion.

At least there's a completely new Tales revealed next week omgomg. Should be another huge 50 hour+ full of content Team Symphonia game (just hopefully with a battle system that can match Graces) :)

TreIII

Bebpo said:
At least there's a completely new Tales revealed next week omgomg. Should be another huge 50 hour+ full of content Team Symphonia game (just hopefully with a battle system that can match Graces) :)

Now THIS is what I've been waiting for. I was willing to sit out Graces F, as even though I'm a PS3 owner, I had no inclination of playing through a game that I had already had a good run with. But this new game could stand to be possibly the new shot in the arm that the series has needed like a crackhead that needs a hit.

It's my hope that it's "Team Symphonia"-style graphics and story-telling, with "Team Destiny" at the helm for battle system. After all, if Tales studio has indeed been suffering cutbacks, wouldn't it be better to just have the teams get together and make one truly awesome game? :D

Vanille

TreIII said:
After all, if Tales studio has indeed been suffering cutbacks, wouldn't it be better to just have the teams get together and make one truly awesome game? :D

They've pretty much been doing that since ToH. Team Symphonia and Team Destiny technically don't exist anymore.

Bebpo

Banned
They don't but they still kind of do. There's a lot of carryover, but I until we play Tales PS3 they're still following the old pattern (I don't count handheld games because they're very unique and feel like neither team's console games).

There are still two very distinct types of console Tales games. One is battle orientated with a shorter stories, smaller worlds, less of a focus on visuals, and usually around 30-40 hours of content (ToD2, Rebirth, ToDr, Graces). One is story focused, with great visuals, huge content 50-80 hour rpg but more simple and weaker battle system (Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia).

It'd be nice if the cross-over of staff since Hearts means that Tales PS3 has the story, visuals, and content of a TS game with the battle system of a TD game. That is indeed my wish. But honestly, I get the feeling this will feel like another TS game complete with a TS battle system that will be a good many steps behind Graces in terms of being fun to play.

We'll see!

Graces almost got everything right. The battle system was awesome, the cast was good, the story was not trash like a lot of TD stories, but the world was really small (only 3-4 cities iirc) and the story was just ok, nothing epic.

What they really need to do is get some good music back into Tales like Legendia. Can you imagine if Tales PS3 has a Go Shiina score? Vesperia+ graphics, Legendia music, Graces battle, Abyss storyline/cast...could be the best Tales ever. You'd think someone at Namco would recognize that Legendia has the best soundtrack in the series by a wide margin.

Proven

Isn't the new game just going to be the PS3 game they said they had started development for months ago but hadn't picked a name for it yet? I remember the thread coming out about it as well as Graces-F and the next PSP game, and one of the mods got pissed off at many people's sadness over lack of localization.

RPGCrazied

trejo said:
It must feel nice to still be able to get excited about a new Tales game announcement. :(

The only one that does these days, are the ones that can read Japanese, or they like to play via faqs semi-translations. I don't find that appealing though, specially if I'm forking over $90+ for the import.

B.K.

Proven said:
Isn't the new game just going to be the PS3 game they said they had started development for months ago but hadn't picked a name for it yet?

It's called Tales of Xilia.

Rpgmonkey

Wow, I thought Tales-GAF died (not like it's that alive either)...

Bebpo said:
You'd think someone at Namco would recognize that Legendia has the best soundtrack in the series by a wide margin.

On the other hand it may have been one of the more expensive soundtracks in the series to produce too. Knowing this series, that'll put a damper on things real quick. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
On the other hand it may have been one of the more expensive soundtracks in the series to produce too. Knowing this series, that'll put a damper on things real quick. :p

I find it hard to imagine Go Shiina costs much more than Sakuraba considering Sakuraba is much more famous.

Plus Namco has Go Shiina do tracks for small games like Mr. Driller. I dunnnoo, just seems like it'd be worth using him on Tales to improve the quality and thus the sales. It's possible he's too busy with God Eater though :(

I guess I'm a little worried that because Legendia was a flop, Namco is afraid to let any of the people involved in it work on another main Tales. Which is too bad because the character designer, composer, and writer were all good.

trejo

Bebpo said:
I guess I'm a little worried that because Legendia was a flop, Namco is afraid to let any of the people involved in it work on another main Tales. Which is too bad because the character designer, composer, and writer were all good.
Eh, only the composer was good. Everything else was more like good enough, at best.

Shouta

trejo said:
Eh, only the composer was good. Everything else was more like good enough, at best.

The writer was pretty good during the Character quests but the main storyline could've used some work. I still think the "Racism!" plot of Legendia was the best handled one of all of those particular ones.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Bebpo said:
Wanted to make sure I got the pre-order goods; wasn't sure about their availability with the asian version & dlc off the JP PSN will only work with the JP version in case I ever want to get ripped off. A lot of the dlc is on the asian PSN as well, but as duckroll pointed out the Code Geass costumes are missing from the first batch, probably because of licensing issues.

Yikes, does it work that way? I used costume DLC from both the JP store and Hong Kong store at the same time on a JP version of Vesperia, but can that not be done on an Asian copy?

Glad I didn't go Asian for this one, then...but deeply miffed I missed out on the ToD2 costumes and Dramatic DVD. Damn you, amiami!

trejo

Shouta said:
I still think the "Racism!" plot of Legendia was the best handled one of all of those particular ones.
That's... not really saying much. It was the least offensive perhaps but, yeah.

Bebpo

Banned
trejo said:

I dunno, I think the main problems with Legendia were all gameplay based and not presentation based. Legendia not being a whole lot of fun was because:

-bad battle system
-terrible long winding linear dungeons
-a 2nd half game that consisted of going back through the same terrible dungeons again!

Those are really what killed Legendia. If the game had kept the art/music/writing with a traditional good tales battle system and good dungeons and no repetition in the 2nd half it'd probably have ended up as a great Tales game.

I'd love to see another Tales attempt by the Legendia team if the gameplay/dungeon/battle designers were all replaced :p

Aokage said:
Yikes, does it work that way? I used costume DLC from both the JP store and Hong Kong store at the same time on a JP version of Vesperia, but can that not be done on an Asian copy?

Glad I didn't go Asian for this one, then...but deeply miffed I missed out on the ToD2 costumes and Dramatic DVD. Damn you, amiami!

They might still work. It's probably game specific. But I know in the past there have been PS3 games where the DLC from another region has been incompatible.

Got my game this morning!

I'm as thrilled as I was while playing the Wii version!

I saw trophies I didn't spot earlier in the list, completing the game on second/hard/evil/chaos. Does someone know if it means from absolute start (when you're asked to change settings) to finish...or if only something like beating the final boss will do? :s I started on normal for my first playthrough but if I had known, I would have started directly on Hard :s

edit : well, I'll continue playing on normal for my first run, then I'll unlock evil and chaos, then I'll beat the game again on full chaos.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Bebpo said:
They might still work. It's probably game specific. But I know in the past there have been PS3 games where the DLC from another region has been incompatible.

True, true. Hey, I wonder if the HK store has the preorder costumes like they did for Vesperia...? That would solve my problem. Time to check!

Bebpo said:

Yeah, most PS3 DLC is region locked. As for your situation Aokage, it could be that if the Asian version is released and there is no US/EU release, the DLC will be compatible with the Japanese version (as that is essentially what the Asian version is). Whereas if the Asian version is based on the US/EU release, the DLC will be locked.

That sounds a lot more confusing typed out than it should be but I hope you get the gist if what I mean :p

TreIII

Bebpo said:

Really?

In my experiences, buying JP-language, Asian-region games has not had any negative effect on me using my JP PSN to get any applicable goods. Because as far as the games are concerned, it's still the "Japanese" version of the game, and it's more relevant what kind of PSN account you have access to.

Datschge

Bebpo said:
I find it hard to imagine Go Shiina costs much more than Sakuraba considering Sakuraba is much more famous.
Legendia got live musicians, even a full orchestra for a couple of tracks (resulting in over 100 credited musicians) as well as several vocalists. Tales games outside of Legendia never got a single live musician (though Sakuraba got to hire Koike Strings for the Abyss Anime, the resulting soundtrack was far better than in all games imo), if there are live instruments used Sakuraba played them himself. Also of interest is that unlike with other works he is contracted instead paid by piece.

Edit: transcribed parts of the PS3 staff. Notable is that some ToS-R staff reappeared, Tsunekazu Baba seems to monopolize scenario works lately, while art director Yasuyuki Sawadaishi and planners Yuji Kanbara and Masahiro Abe are absent (possibly working on ToX?). Other than that it's the same but smaller, not unlike ToV going from Xbox to PS3.

Peff

The localized Wii version, which has been in development for some months, is likely to release in the first half of 2011. The game is set to have all the glitches from the Japanese versions fixed and a slew of new content- most, if not all of the PS3 bonus content.

The HD version of Tales of Graces for the PS3 will not be seeing a US release anytime soon- if at all. Like the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia, it was more expensive to develop and less likely to perform well outside of the east.

Wat.

This I'm wondering; this site seems to be a Yahoo site, and I'm assuming they actually hire people and it's not a place for anyone to register and post any old bullshit (but it does have a comment system).

Surely they have some sort of professionalism where the writers should only post facts?

Last generation they released what is considered one of the greatest RPGs of all-time for the GameCube- Tales of Symphonia. This generation they released one of the most disappointing for the Xbox 360- Tales of Vesperia.

Wait, what?

Y2Kev said:
Dear Bebpo and Kir,

My Asia version of ToG came with the preorder bonus of the DVD/artbook. I felt saving $30 was huge.

Rpgmonkey

Hero of Legend said:
This I'm wondering; this site seems to be a Yahoo site, and I'm assuming they actually hire people and it's not a place for anyone to register and post any old bullshit (but it does have a comment system).

Surely they have some sort of professionalism where the writers should only post facts?

Their next most recent rumor article is about Kingdom Hearts 3 being announced at this year's E3.

So...yeah.

Rpgmonkey said:
Their next most recent rumor article is about Kingdom Hearts 3 being announced at this year's E3.

So...yeah.

Hmm.

Is that possible? Oh I'm sure it COULD happen. Will it happen? Unlikely.

The better question is; has this guy said anything before that turned out to be true?

Why did I come back to this thread. Now my hopes are being raised.
I would be nice if this was true and that Tales of Graces is coming in some form outside of Japan.

Rpgmonkey

Hero of Legend said:
Hmm.

Is that possible? Oh I'm sure it COULD happen. Will it happen? Unlikely.

The better question is; has this guy said anything before that turned out to be true?

No, I mean at the E3 a few months ago. Which obviously didn't happen. :lol

Netto-kun

Well, if Graces is being released outside of Japan. Namco should at least register a domain for the game, like talesofgraces.com...oh wait.

Top Bottom