• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco teasing Pacman & Galaga 3DS [Up7: Tekken, Soul Calibur, Tales, Ono, Vesperia?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

Sohter.Nura said:
Has this been confirmed? I am _SO_ pumped. Haven't played a tales game since Symphonia 2, and previous to that ToV.

Can't wait D:

That image basically has, now we are just waiting for Namco to step up and give us the official word.

kafka rock opera said:
Dont feel bad! It will help you learn Japanese which will come in handy when namco doesn't bring over other tales games later on!

i'll get over it but only if troy baker voices an important character!

Amir0x said:
Neither does Tales sell on any other platform in the USA. Symphonia was a fluke, a right-time, right-place for the RPG starved Gamecube market. Symphonia II sold like shit.
It was released in Nov 08 and sold over 95k copies through Jan 09 (http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=9513). It's probably around 150k now. That puts it far ahead of any of the Playstation Tales games which had ~1 billion times as much effort put into their development.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Amir0x said:
Well if they're gonna bother translating it i don't see why they shouldn't bring the Wii game in addition to the PS3 game

Neither does Tales sell on any other platform in the USA. Symphonia was a fluke, a right-time, right-place for the RPG starved Gamecube market. Symphonia II sold like shit.
LOL you're so right. I alongside 8 of my friends bought it. It was a good game too but you're right about the timing.

Torillian

Neo Member
nincompoop said:
Fun fact: Tales of Symphonia by itself has sold more than 1.5 times as many copies in the US as every Tales game released on a Sony platform COMBINED.
Leaked NPD numbers:
Symphonia - 465k through Jan 08 Feb 07?
Legendia - 74k through Jan 08
Abyss - 68k through Jan 08
Radiant Mythology - 30k through Jan 08
Destiny - 68,614 through 2005
Destiny II - 56,864 through 2005

Even Vesperia and the god-awful Dawn of the New World sold twice as well as any of the Playstation Tales games. The series just doesn't sell on Sony platforms in the US for whatever reason.

That's one possible conclusion, but personally I would conclude from those numbers that Tales games only start doing really well on platforms that are starved for JRPGs. Which lucky for them means that it should do well on any console this generation

Eteric Rice said:
Because they're Namco Bandai.

The same Namco Bandai that's finally bringing ToGF over! :p

There were some localization credits in ToG Wii's credits so they must've already done some translating on that already.

Amir0x

Banned
nincompoop said:
It was released in Nov 08 and sold over 95k copies through Jan 09 (http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=9513). It's probably around 150k now. That puts it far ahead of any of the Playstation Tales games which had ~1 billion times as much effort put into their development.

so your argument is that the game sells very slightly less shittily on non Sony platforms?

Well, in the realm of incremental shit selling, the conclusion is Tales sells on jRPG starved platforms, which every platform is happily a member of this gen.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'll finally get to learn who Sophie is? And more importantly, get to play a Team Destiny game?!? :eek:

Amir0x said:
so your argument is that the game sells very slightly less shittily on non Sony platforms?

Well, in the realm of incremental shit selling, the conclusion is Tales sells on jRPG starved platforms, which every platform is happily a member of this gen.
I'm not sure how the ToS games selling 5x better on average than the Playstation Tales games equates to selling "slightly less shittilly". Spin it however you want, the only conclusion you can reach is that only releasing the PS3 version of Graces would be a terrible decision (assuming that Namco actually is interested in making money on the series).

Amir0x said:

Also, Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World was also released at a time where the Wii was selling like HOT CAKES, during a Christmas on top of that.

It's been shown with data that the time where 3rd party software was selling the most on the Wii was when it was at its peak, because most of the software for the game was sold at the console purchase... I think I remember Pachter talking about.

So I don't think it sold 'well' because the game was purchased by Tales of fans, but rather because the Wii was selling 500k+ at that time and the game just happened to catch a wind on the sales of the console.

RpgN

Amir0x said:

What have you done?! Now they'll come up with billion excuses how Tales games have less budget and crap on Nintendo systems!

Gravijah

RpgN said:
What have you done?! Now they'll come up with billion excuses how Tales games have less budget and crap on Nintendo systems!

of course they have less budget they're nintendo games jeez

nincompoop said:
Fun fact: Tales of Symphonia by itself has sold more than 1.5 times as many copies in the US as every Tales game released on a Sony platform COMBINED.
Leaked NPD numbers:
Symphonia - 465k through Jan 08 Feb 07?
Legendia - 74k through Jan 08
Abyss - 68k through Jan 08

Radiant Mythology - 30k through Jan 08
Destiny - 68,614 through 2005
Destiny II - 56,864 through 2005

Even Vesperia and the god-awful Dawn of the New World sold twice as well as any of the Playstation Tales games. The series just doesn't sell on Sony platforms in the US for whatever reason.

WHAT!!

Abyss sold LESS than Legendia :O !?

No wonder they think we are not worthy for a Tales game :(

This is madness ;_;

Amir0x

Banned
nincompoop said:
I'm not sure how the ToS games selling 5x better on average than the Playstation Tales games equates to selling "slightly better". Spin it however you want, the only conclusion you can reach is that only releasing the PS3 version of Graces would be a terrible decision (assuming that Namco actually is interested in making money on the series).

Your Symphonia argument has already been thoroughly refuted - that's the argument of long-dead Nintards who were so bitter during the PlayStation gen that they were overlooked for so many Tales games because HEY LOOK GUYS AT HOW SYMPHONIA DID

Symphonia was a right-time, right-place situation. Fact. Symphonia 2 did really fucking bad - only very slightly less shittily than your average Tales game, AND that was on an equal point as the first game: on an RPG starved platform.

Now, I fully expect Graces F to also do bad. But Tales of Graces would do bad on ANY platform.

Torillian

Neo Member
nincompoop said:
I'm not sure how the ToS games selling 5x better on average than the Playstation Tales games equates to selling "slightly less shittilly". Spin it however you want, the only conclusion you can reach is that only releasing the PS3 version of Graces would be a terrible decision (assuming that Namco actually is interested in making money on the series).

But we told you the other possible conclusion was that it sells well on JRPG starved consoles, are you then saying that the PS3 is JRPG heaven? If so please direct me to these games I've been missing because I love me some JRPG and haven't gotten much outside of NISA published in a while.

Rpgmonkey

nincompoop said:

Well ToS has its own slew of reasons for selling the way it did and nothing is looking anywhere near likely of copying that success.

ToS2 only sold around twice as much as the PS2 games and sold around as much as Vesperia. The PS2 games were either not that good or even fewer people managed to give a crap about them than usual for various reasons, so they sold even worse than ToS2 and ToV's already pretty weak numbers.

I'm pretty sure Graces could pull off what those two sold, but anyone thinking the PS3 is going to give it some kind of big boost over those two is probably going to be disappointed.

Amir0x

Banned
And anyway, the important part is not musing about the extreme severity of the failure - and failure it will be on any platform - but on which version is worth playing more.

I'm a gamer, not a sales whore, so my opinion is firmly in the: SUPERIOR EDITION PLZ camp

The Praiseworthy said:
I won't buy a console that I have no interest at all in to play only 1 game...

I suggest resigning yourself to not playing Vesperia, then. It is sort of feasible to build the business case for a release of a never-before-seen game over here; it is not really feasible to bring over a years-late, full-price port of a game that sold < 200,000 copies in the first place. You might as well ask for the PS2 games to get localized.

(If it makes you feel better, I'll give the Wii owners the same advice if/when Graces only gets announced for PS3, or vice versa.)

The Judge

You know, if this comes on the Wii, it actually makes Namco look like fucking geniuses. They could've released last year but there were actually interesting games coming out, but looks like from now on it's a gaming drought.
And then Namco on their white-horse of intelligent market analysis see the potential of releasing the game in 2011! What a twist!

It's a coincidence, they're crazy and use a magic 8-ball as decision taker.

charlequin said:
I suggest resigning yourself to not playing Vesperia, then. It is sort of feasible to build the business case for a release of a never-before-seen game over here; it is not really feasible to bring over a years-late, full-price port of a game that sold < 200,000 copies in the first place. You might as well ask for the PS2 games to get localized.

(If it makes you feel better, I'll give the Wii owners the same advice if/when Graces only gets announced for PS3.)

I gave up on Vesperia for a long time now.... I just need any Tales game to buy because I'm so desperate for Tales on my PS3 :(

So when we might get some news on whats going on in this thread? I'm really on my nerve here waiting for a happy announcement!

nincompoop said:

Wow, this is like some of the the worst sales-aging I have ever seen on GAF. Seriously, that conclusion is so bad.

Torillian said:
That's one possible conclusion, but personally I would conclude from those numbers that Tales games only start doing really well on platforms that are starved for JRPGs.

It also helps when the games receive significant promotional pushes from the platform holder (Symphonia, and to a much lesser degree Vesperia), are released early in the generation when RPGs are thinner on the ground (Symphonia, Vesperia, DotNW), are fully-voice acted including skits (Vesperia, DotNW), receive a significantly better critical reception than previous series entries (Vesperia), etc. (And conversely, it hurts when the game is universally agreed to be terrible like Legendia or has aggressive technical issues that drag it down in every review like Abyss.)

Codeblue

I don't really care what platform it comes on, I'll find a way to play it. I would prefer it released on both platforms, like everyone else.

jeremy1456

charlequin said:

(If it makes you feel better, I'll give the Wii owners the same advice if/when Graces only gets announced for PS3, or vice versa.)

What really shocks me is that some people want the PS3 Vesperia more than a new game (Graces).

I think it has more to do with platform favoritism than legitimately wanting to play the game. It would be more likely (though still incredibly unlikely) for Namco to release the 360 stuff as DLC at this point. Even if that happened (which it won't) I imagine the people begging for the port still wouldn't care just because it's not on PS3.

This is why we can't have nice things.

The Praiseworthy said:
I gave up on Vesperia for a long time now.... I just need any Tales game to buy because I'm so desperate for Tales on my PS3 :(

Hopefully we'll all be in luck soon! (Well, I'll be in luck like a year from now when I actually have a PS3, lulz.)

Requeim

In my opinion, the PS3 should be prime choice for anything Tales simply because it's region free. That way, us folks in europe could always import and play the US version easily (like many people including me did with Demon's Souls, before they announced that for europe).

If the US gets a Tales game, we probably would as well, but this is Namco Bandai

edit: wii is okay if we get it in europe as well of course

RPGCrazied

Wow, if its F, there is no way those are going to be voiced. Maybe a select few? I'd like some of them to be, but 800 is a lot.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Dawn of the New World was a crappy low budget spinoff that recycled most of the same areas and didn't even have a world map. The fact that it sold as much as Vesperia is pretty telling of where the western Tales fanbase is...

Vesperia was 59.99 and only on Xbox 360, a system I would argue, at the time, probably wasn't resonating in North America with the average jRPG fan for various reasons, the biggest being its high cost.

DotNW was 39.99 (I believe) and on the Wii, the hottest selling system at the time (and cheaper than 360). This was one of the few RPGs period available, too. Also a sequel to the best selling and arguably most popular Tales entry in the series, so demand would be high.

I mean, we could go more in depth about the trends of the jRPG demographic to argue more thoroughly why DotNW probably sold as much as Vesperia, but I honesty am not the least bit surprised at the North American #s.

Edit: If Namco were smart, Tales of Graces F would be heading to 3DS...

Rpgmonkey

Requeim said:
In my opinion, the PS3 should be prime choice for anything Tales simply because it's region free. That way, us folks in europe could always import and play the US version easily (like many people including me did with Demon's Souls, before they announced that for europe).

If the US gets a Tales game, we probably would as well, but this is Namco Bandai

edit: wii is okay if we get it in europe as well of course

Now that they have a European branch they might be less stupid about getting these over there in a timely fashion (or at all).

Bebpo

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Wow, if its F, there is no way those are going to be voiced. Maybe a select few? I'd like some of them to be, but 800 is a lot.

It's probably like 500. I was just giving a range since I have no idea about the number. But it's about the same amount as any other major Tales with a ridiculous amount of skits.

RPGCrazied

Bebpo said:
It's probably like 500. I was just giving a range since I have no idea about the number. But it's about the same amount as any other major Tales with a ridiculous amount of skits.

Oh. Thanks. Well, ToV had a lot or so it seemed. Those were voiced, of course Microsoft was backing them. I wonder if Sony is going to pony up the $$$$.

MechaX

Amir0x said:
Now, I fully expect Graces F to also do bad. But Tales of Graces would do bad on ANY platform.

If Namco can find a cost-effective way to port the Graces F content onto the Wii, then more power too them if they release it on both platforms. Personally, I just think if we're in an either/or console situation, there is a slightly better shot of it doing better on the PS3 at this phase unless the stars and the sun align and the Wii audience takes notice of Graces as the shining star in the Wii's empty schedule.

But when considering Namco's sale expectations at times... Graces would have been doomed no matter when or where it was released.

But hey, if Namco is going to suicide the Tales franchise in the West by this move, I'm glad they're doing it with a newer title (as long as it's the superior version).

Edit: Actually... if it does come out on the PS3, couldn't Namco just pull a Yakuza?

MechaX said:
But hey, if Namco is going to suicide the Tales franchise in the West by this move, I'm glad they're doing it with a newer title (as long as it's the superior version).

I rather for them to wait and try it with Xillia ... because if ToX didn't get localize while others did, it will break my heart and depress me .

MechaX

I dunno. ToX could be fun but it's not like the West has had really good exposure to Team Destiny and its battle systems.

Wonder if Namco-Bandai is seeing how much Graces will sell and then maybe they'll release Xilia?

Than like others previously said, let's all buy 5 copies each!

They're looking for the perfect excuse to not have to release Xilia. Even if Graces F sells 200k copies or debuts in NPD, they'll be like "durr we had a sales estimate of 3MILLION! obviously there's not enough demand for tales join our twitter/facebook pages for hints for a tales game six years from now"

Wonder if Namco-Bandai is seeing how much Graces will sell and then maybe they'll release Xilia?

Than like others previously said, let's all buy 5 copies each!

RPGCrazied

Does anyone have a link that shows how much new content is in F? I'd like to see. I know there is a epilogue or something. How long is that?

Do you guys mean cut content? Well I guess that could happened, but I really wouldn't care. If it's not having an English track, that would also be perfectly fine by me.

Bebpo

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Does anyone have a link that shows how much new content is in F? I'd like to see. I know there is a epilogue or something. How long is that?

10 hour story mode like the 2nd half of Legendia post-story new storyline, but shorter. All new character, new moves, new skits etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom