• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K16 |OT| This Time With Less Cheese

Smokey

Yea just got back, Im not even going to try and play tonight, just letting it install while I sleep.

Props to them on putting a percentage tracker though, because last year everybody thought the game was broke because it took so long

So it turns out only 19GB/46GB of the game downloaded even though I did the preload days ago.

Great

Tubobutts

Do you have to do something to get the VC and Packs from the pre order? I don't have them in game. I'm playing the digital version if that matters.

smokeyp

Trying to play on PC now. Is it running terribly for anyone else?

I am getting micro-stutters and weird FPS fluxes with a i5-2500k/980Ti setup.

zychi

Banned
Sounds like a broken mess at release, again.

#dontpreorder #skipreleaseday

Will grab a pc key for $20 when someone sells it in the b/t/s thread

CeeSaw

Word of advice if you are in the park tonight be careful going to the store. I have had a few long loading times where it downloads content.

BONDO

Im always a 2K basher..but man I'm loving the improvements to around the basket gameplay. Players move better, control the ball better in the paint.
One of my biggest gripes for a few years now. Thats my biggest standout in the like 3 games in now.

zychi

Banned
Im always a 2K basher..but man I'm loving the improvements to around the basket gameplay. Players move better, control the ball better in the paint.
One of my biggest gripes for a few years now. Thats my biggest standout in the like 3 games in now.
It looks the same, im watching a guy stream who basically only plays 2k. They even left the zig zig cheese in.

He keeps whining a out his guys in the paint not being able to handle passes.

BONDO

It looks the same, im watching a guy stream who basically only plays 2k. They even left the zig zig cheese in.

He keeps whining a out his guys in the paint not being able to handle passes.

I dunno....i play every year and i felt the change down low. Its hard to explain but i noticed cause i play the series a lot.

Bgamer90

Banned
The gameplay feels really sluggish to me this year so far. A lot of of getting trapped in animations. A.I. also seems to not react to potential rebounds well. Kind of feel mixed about it right now. I might just have to play it more though.

cripterion

Quarter highlights are all fucked up and stuttery, replays on foul do not show fouls it shows the players talking reacting after the foul, checking Nvidia Inspector and there's not even a profile up for NBA 2K16.
Athis is all I could detect in the span of 10mns with the game...

Another quality port!!!

pislit

Quarter highlights are all fucked up and stuttery, replays on foul do not show fouls it shows the players talking reacting after the foul, checking Nvidia Inspector and there's not even a profile up for NBA 2K16.

Another quality port!!!

I learned my lesson from the past two NBA 2K on PC. It takes a month for everything to be smooth.

Xando

Another quality port!!!

According to the steam forum the stuttery is because the game tries to run on the oboard GPU and there seems to be a fix for this.
If you're running on an NVIDIA gpu, Go to NVIDIA control panel - > Manage 3d Settings and under Global Settings Change your preferred graphics processor to HIGH PERFOMANCE NVIDIA PROCESSOR.

awesc

Neo Member
I grow tired of 2K changing the controls year after year but I actually like the change to the passing scheme this time. Posting up feels more fluid, the scuff marks on the court are a nice touch and quick stats lookup during timeouts was sorely needed. Playing on Pro difficulty 6 minute quarters for now until I catch my rhythm.

There are bugs like commentators completely cutting off, replays not showing the actual shot/assist, massive stuttering during games and replays (even on beefy PC hardware) and weird collision issues in the paint but man the presentation took a huge leap forward. Kenny looks too real. The menu system isn't as clunky as in years past (but why hide 2KUniversity in the Options/Features menu?) and the music is the best ever in a 2K game hands down.

Oh and that intro... dafuq lol

cripterion

According to the steam forum the stuttery is because the game tries to run on the oboard GPU and there seems to be a fix for this.

I have no problems with no other games, even NBA2K15.

The game will speed up like crazy, stutter during cutscenes (intro of a game, highlights of quarters) and all the replays are fucked, they don't show you the action, just the players after it.
Beyond all these bugs, the game feels fucking slow, I mean the arc of the ball after a jump shot and it bouncing against the rim I felt like it was put to slow motion. Maybe it's another bug but so far it feels like shit. Considering Steam a refund. Should I defnitely gone with G2A on this one for a cheap key instead of paying high price.

How many years in a row is this now that the game has released broken? Especially on PC.

pinkman.gif

I'm not a fan of these story focus My Careers, as they're not really 'My Career' they're the career designed by someone else for me to follow. The fan was always the self made story lines that happen naturally due to missed shots or trades.

ron_bato

I've played 2 games without the patch and one with and here are my impressions:

First about graphics:
- Court graphics look more detailed, and lighting looks much improved. It's better than 2k15 for sure.
- Presentation this year is on point. The 2k game feels like a broadcast of an actual NBA game. They even have one of those player interviews in between quarters (the one where they're interviewed in a room somewhere before a game and then they play the clip)
- The level of detail in this game is crazy. I just shot a free throw with curry, and he has his mouthpiece out while shooting the free throw, then after hitting, he goes down the court with his mouth piece still sticking out, then puts it back in when he's about to play defense. I mean, that level of detail is just crazy.

Gameplay:
- Movement feels different, in a good way. Everything feels weighty, and not all to cartoony and janky. It definitely takes some getting used to, but so far I'm digging it.
- Controls are different, especially the post-game, which I am not yet used to. One thing I'm not liking so far? The quick options on the d-pad. Instead of assigning everything to the D-pad, they attached it to the right stick. Maybe I'm not just used to it yet, but it's not as intuitive, or as responsive as the quick options before.
- Defense this year is no joke, and feels better than previous years 2k games.

Quick stuff I didn't like:
- The quick pick and roll button (now assigned to L1) is a bit janky. I would hold L1 to ask for a pick, but sometimes it would take me multiple attempts to get this to initiate (Pick and roll/pop in general is much improved though and I feel the changes they made were intuitive, also asking the pick setter to choose a side is a great addition).
- The tutorial is bare bones, and you can forget about getting a more detailed tutorial about the changes they made this year. Which even as a veteran of 2k, i felt lost at times because I didn't know what the controls were.
- The commentary took a step back this year, it doesn't feel as organic as last year's. There are some exchanges where it feels good, but for the most part, it feels like Greg Anthony is just reading something off of a piece of paper, and not actually conversing with the other guys.

Stuff I'm still not sure of:
- Blocking. At times it feels right, and I'm getting more blocks in this game than 14 or 15, but sometimes i feel it's too easy. Other times, I feel great. Especially when I play good positional D and deny a weak shot at the rim.
- Rebounding. Need more time to assess this as I'm getting mixed results in the games that I played.
- I feel like I was in more control last year than this year, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm not used to the changes they made in the controls, or it's because of the way movement feels different.

TLDR: There's a lot to like, and this is definitely much better than 2K15. Defense is the one thing that feels much improved this year. Also, I don't play too many other sports games anymore, but I think this has every other game beat in terms of presentation and level of detail.

Amazon UK customers waiting for Early Tip Off Codes

I have checked the information with my leadership team and I would like to inform you that we are waiting for the codes to be provided by the game manufacturer to us.
By the end of the day today, we will fix this and will send you a email with the code

cripterion

All replays are messed up. During half time show it's only showing inbounds ffs.

Beyond that game seems to run better off one card, with G-Sync at 1440p. It's smooth during gameplay but shitty swipes stutter (even though it's still over 60).

I played 2 quarters and like the gameplay but why can't they fucking QA their shit? I remember the replays being fucked a certain year too.

ViciousDS

Banned
All replays are messed up. During half time show it's only showing inbounds ffs.

Beyond that game seems to run better off one card, with G-Sync at 1440p. It's smooth during gameplay but shitty swipes stutter (even though it's still over 60).

I played 2 quarters and like the gameplay but why can't they fucking QA their shit? I remember the replays being fucked a certain year too.

It's to bad none of the reviews will probably reflect this ever. Digital foundry will probably be the only one to mention anything about the PC version. Guess I'll see how the PS4 version is when I get off work later today.....damn it. 10 hours of waiting at work blech.

It's to bad none of the reviews will probably reflect this ever. Digital foundry will probably be the only one to mention anything about the PC version. Guess I'll see how the PS4 version is when I get off work later today.....damn it. 10 hours of waiting at work blech.

I'm going to work now will have time to play tomorrow after work/gym it's all good though just excites me more.

How is my park? I really can't decide if I want a pg that dishes, an all around sf, or a pf that can bang. Depends how the rebounding and defense feel; any impressions?

ron_bato

I like that I can actually contest shots in the paint and block shots, but it's a bit too much. I was able to make three chasedown blocks already today (1 with bogut, 1 with rondo, and 1 with rudy gay). I also had 5 blocks with Demarcus Cousins in the first half. I think this will get nerfed soon, but hopefully not too much that it's damn near impossible to block shots (like NBA 2k15).

The defense of the AI is also really good, I don't know how I feel about it yet, because some guys shadow the man they're defending when they have no business or ability to do so.

For example, I had Dirk on Rudy Gay, and I was setting him up with some size ups, and as I exploded for a cross, Dirk was there with me the whole time, riding me til I had to pick up my dribble. I like the challenge, but it's not representative of real basketball.

Also, I'm not sure what the devs were talking about when they said they rebuilt the post-game 'from the ground up'. Aside from the new controls, it still feels and plays pretty much like previous years post-game. I didn't believe it when I first heard it, but maybe I just need more time with it to learn the new things they implemented.

Anyway, these are very minor gripes, overall I'm very happy with the improvements this year. I'm playing on all-star, sim, but may move up to superstar since I'm shooting way too easily already.

Top Bottom