• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 |OT| 1,000 VC needed to enter thread.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
HOLY CRAP MEGATON

I dont know if this was known or not but its new to me

You can play as All time teams and old teams online, no need to win a bunch of games to unlock them online, its there from the start

This is a first for 2K
96 Bulls comin for that ass yo.

Edit: lol
V

21762283_10100178023561895_1566476113309129042_o.jpg

sigh.

Tried to play MyCareer offline. It basically skipped everything and I went straight to a team. That's kinda lame. I know online requires VC stuff but if the entire experience can't be offline, then that's wack. Skill points are a bigger grind but wtf.

brUwtfy.jpg

I get a feeling that this MyCareer mode is never going to cease finding ways to disappoint me.

The entire purpose of this extended cutscene, which was sandwiched between two unnecessary cutscenes of my doorman trying to tell me jokes, was to talk about how delicious Reese's Puffs cereal is.

Are you serious

Save us EA, SAVE US

Anecdotal but there's over 1100 broadcasts of 2K18 on live with PlayStation while there's only like 40 something for NBA Live 18, so...yeah.

Tried to play MyCareer offline. It basically skipped everything and I went straight to a team. That's kinda lame. I know online requires VC stuff but if the entire experience can't be offline, then that's wack. Skill points are a bigger grind but wtf.

brUwtfy.jpg

I get a feeling that this MyCareer mode is never going to cease finding ways to disappoint me.

The entire purpose of this extended cutscene, which was sandwiched between two unnecessary cutscenes of my doorman trying to tell me jokes, was to talk about how delicious Reese's Puffs cereal is.

Maybe it's a good thing you can't get online for MyCareer.

I think I'm done trying to play this, at least for now. Everything about MyCareer this year is frustrating. Conveniently, I don't think I could have actually finished a single MyCareer match and still have been in the Steam refund time limit due to all the cutscenes and pregame.

Maybe I can spoof myself as offline to avoid all of the extra shit and it won't be as bad.

Feeroper

So what is the deal with VC? Is there a significant portion of the game locked behind VC? I tried to google but only found vague details from prior installments of the series and otherwise a lot of complaints. Is it just cosmetic stuff or is it worse than that?

I don't care for this type of thing unless it is only for cosmetic things.

Maybe it's a good thing you can't get online for MyCareer.

But locking content behind online is kind of crap. I can't experience the entire story unless I'm on wifi kind of sucks.

It doesn't bother me that much since the whole point of MyCareer is to go online but just having the option of experiencing it offline would've been nice.

I guess Switch 2K will be strictly MyLeague on the go.

But locking content behind online is kind of crap. I can't experience the entire story unless I'm on wifi kind of sucks.

It doesn't bother me that much since the whole point of MyCareer is to go online but just having the option of experiencing it offline would've been nice.

I guess Switch 2K will be strictly MyLeague on the go.

I'm thinking not experiencing the story is one of the perks of being offline.

So what is the deal with VC? Is there a significant portion of the game locked behind VC? I tried to google but only found vague details from prior installments of the series and otherwise a lot of complaints. Is it just cosmetic stuff or is it worse than that?

I don't care for this type of thing unless it is only for cosmetic things.

Every upgrade to your player's stats in MyCareer is done via VC. You can accumulate VC through playing and training, both in the gym and the GATORADE EXPERIENCE, but at an absolute snail's pace compared to previous years.

Then of course VC is also used for cosmetic stuff, but the prices are extortionate for a full priced game. A basic, 2k-branded headband--the first item you see in the in-game store--costs 1000 VC, which would take me several in-game days to accumulate.

So, Switch impressions...

- Framerate is going to take some getting used to. I've been playing 2K since 2005 (but only buying/playing every other release since '12) and going from these 60 FPS experiences back down to 30 FPS is pretty hard to adjust to. Just running across the court feels like I have cinderblock shoes.

- Visuals are insane. How they came so close to the other current generation platforms is downright wizardry, especially in handheld mode.

- Audio issues abound. Cracking, popping and desync issues are fairly common.

- VC shit is ridiculous. 2K needs more flak for this.

- Gameplay feels a lot more refined and polished than the last couple of years, they finally nailed the defense game.

- ONLINE ACTUALLY WORKS! IT WORKS, LIKE ACTUALLY FUCKING WORKS!

I'm really enjoying it so far and the port is incredible but the shady VC shit and audio issues need some major tweaks. If you're on the fence about the port though, don't be. It's fantastic.

LOL, you think EA of all companies wouldn't jump in on cross marketing opportunities?

This is a post-Squeenix Final Fantasy cross promoting Cup Noodles world.

Oh they would, but I just want there to be SOME decent competition so NBA 2k doesn't keep filling their game up with all this bullshit. Reese's Puffs is the tip of the iceberg.

Can this be played with a single joycon? Thinking of getting this but it would be nice to play with a friend and not have to carry around an extra controller.

ron_bato

I've played 4 games against the CPU AI, on superstar, 3 online games against a buddy, and spent hours in the freestyle mode of 2ku. Here are my impressions after maybe around 8 hours of gameplay in 2k18, and a week of playing the prelude.

1. The controls this year are the most fluid and responsive they've ever been. It's great that this year they've finally been able to chain all the jab steps, pivots, escape dribbles, and dribble moves off the triple threat/post with excellent fluidity. It's really fun to use elite ball handlers and scorers in triple threat positions to chain together some great moves and replicate some signature combinations in real life.

2. The 5 on 5 gameplay is really good, with both the CPU opponent AI and your own teammate AI being really intelligent in terms of reading situations and reacting. There's one thing I'm noticing on defense though and it's the tendency of 'overhelping' to the point where some players are left wide open (like not even a few feet away from them) in order to pre-help. To counter this, I adjusted the off-ball defense settings manually. Also, one thing I noticed was that the CPU has a tendency to force alleyoops sometimes, leading to some bad turnovers. One other nitpick is how strong a lot of the set actions are, particularly when people get stuck behind multiple screens, this leaves a lot of players wide open for a long time when you fail to chase them down screens - it leaves a lot of work for you to try to manually control just to make sure that you get to the offensive player on time. Other than that, I'm happy with the gameplay, minor clipping issues aside.

3. In my 4 games, I've played the classic kings vs the 01 lakers (sucks that the kings are only 8 deep, with Hedo being a big loss for the team), and 3 games as the nuggets against Boston, OKC, and Houston. Each team played a lot like themselves, particularly Houston, which shot something like close to 30 3s, and was relentless attacking the paint. The pace of the teams feel different (with OKC trying to slow things down) and Boston doing a lot of Brad Stevens sets, with some Iso mixed in for Kyrie. Feels great.

Anyway, game is great. Online so far held up for me (with no input lag) through 3 games that i played yesterday. I'm sure as I get used to the new mechanics, and the new systems that the shine on the game will wear off (and as the community learns what to abuse lol), but this has been great, they've addressed a number of legacy issues in this game.

cripterion

I swear my PS4 pro sounds like it's about to blow off when playing this game, it's turning me off so much about playing it and just makes me wish I had gotten it on pc like usual. What's the deal? The fucking fan even ramp up like crazy during face scan stuff. My console is dying or anyone else in the same case?

Welcome to the horrors of 2K my Nintendo gamers😂

I gave up on career last year and strictly played all star team up after how ridiculous all the loading and taking you out of the game was.

JoeFu

Banned
The docked mode is kind of a blurry mess...

edit: looks better once in your in an actual game. the menus though...

Umbooki

Still tryna figure out how Free Throws are gonna work in MyCareer. Are there drills to raise the value, or is the accuracy tied to the level of our badge? 🤔

shanafan

I am actually finding the MyCareer mode hilarious. Great writing. I never thought I'd laugh playing a basketball game.

"Did he just ask why isn't he the head coach?" haha

I am actually finding the MyCareer mode hilarious. Great writing. I never thought I'd laugh playing a basketball game.

"Did he just ask why isn't he the head coach?" haha

B-Fresh is the fucking BEST. I'm cracking up just thinking of how many people must be getting triggered every time she appears on screen.

U2NUMB

That MyCareer opening is embarrassing. Holy shit.

I am 10 games in and I can not stand the interactions.. it takes so long to go from game to game. The loading still is crazy slow..

I hate NBA 2k so much every year and yet I am dumb enough to keep coming back..

mauaus

Any tips on how to defend? New to the game and having a tough time even on rookie...

Also mostly shooting how can i make my way in for dunks?

Any tips on how to defend? New to the game and having a tough time even on rookie...

Also mostly shooting how can i make my way in for dunks?

Dunking depends on your player, not everyone is going to be able to drive to the basket and dunk.

As for defending, don't constantly try to steal because that will leave you out of position or give away a foul. Best to use the left trigger to shadow the attacker and use the right stick to contest a shot when you think one is coming. Sticking your hands in a shooter's face is the best way to make them miss and is what you should be doing the vast majority of the time. Save blocks for times when you are close to the basket and are 100% sure the shot is coming, or as a last ditch effort after your man has beaten you.

Top Bottom