• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

FZZ

Banned
Fuego takes:

KAT is going to be a top 5 player after next season

Lonzo will be top 10 after 2018-2019 season

In 7-8 years 7 of the top 10 players in the league will be from the 2017 Draft class

TTG

I wanted to stay out of it, but I had some grocery shopping to do and podcasts were resorted to so: team Kyrie. But we're gonna have to organize some sort of session with Neil DeGrasse Tyson or something.

5741126c1600002a00f94193.gif
Lebron is a comedic genius man

Boogie was averaging close to 28/11/5 while shooting over 35% from 3 in Sacramento last season. Dude was legit.

Realistically your top 10ish NBA players right now in no specific order are Westbrook Harden Kawhi Durant Boogie Curry Wall Lebron Davis Giannis and Gobert

Pels record will still be bad, they have huge questions at guard/wing and the west is insane.

Top 6, undisputedly - LeBron, Curry, Durant, Kawhi, Harden, Westbrook

Tier of near-superstars that are just below - Wall, Giannis, CP3, Davis

There we go. That's 10.

The only guy in a similar situation to Kyrie was Butler and I'm sure 9/10 people would take Kyrie between those two.

Butler went for a lotto pick, a starting SG, and a second year pg who could possibly turn into something. Kyrie will get more in return. None of those other stars received as big of a return because they had issues (locker room, wanted to leave after the next season). Kyrie doesn't come with that baggage. The Cavs aren't trading him for god damn Greg Monroe.

???????

No way. Butler is only 2 years older, has the same amount of years on his contract. He would still be in his prime by the time he leaves that. Re-signing is a different issue, tbf, but Butler's defense and his status as an elite wing is enough for me.

Hell my top 3 Centers is somethin like

KAT
Marc
Boogie/AD/Rudy

AD is a power forward from now on. I put Gasol at number 1 tbh, he's the only well-balanced center imo.

KAT needs to not be a defensive sieve, you can't fault Boogie for his defense and excuse KAT's, which is worse atm.

LionPride

Banned
AD is a power forward from now on. I put Gasol at number 1 tbh, he's the only well-balanced center imo.

KAT needs to not be a defensive sieve, you can't fault Boogie for his defense and excuse KAT's, which is worse atm.
See I don't personally fault Boogie for his D much like how I believe that being under a coach for more than a year will help KAT tremendously.

But somethin like KAT, Marc, Boogie or Gobert rounds out my top Centers and all of those players are top 20/25

LionPride

Banned
Giannis isn't on the same tier as Wall, CP3, and Davis

I would still take KAT over him
I mean

They the same age and one's been in the league for four years and can play defense while the other can shoot a basketball like a motherfucker

Giannis is also better than John Wall to me anyways so

Is their a case that Davis will be better then KAT? He's still only 24

His defense isn't as good but that series where he dropped 35 and 10 a game on the champion warriors in the playoffs was bonkers.

Looking at the roster when Lebron 1st signed they wouldn't have been anywhere near the cap situation they're currently in if they never completed that Wiggins for Love deal

If you go back to the situation in 2014, the Cavs had to clear space just to sign LeBron. It wasn't difficult to clear that space, but the Cavs were basically able to make about one max signing, that's it.

Anyone feel like the Spurs overpaid for Pau?

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/889601791817416704

That contract is so fucking bad holy shit. Whatever verbal agreement they made to Pau was dumb, they should've just absorbed him for another year and had tons of cap room when next year, Pau, Parker, Manu, and potentially LMA all came off the books

Think a lot of this stems from the fact that they couldn't move LMA. Still no excuse for letting Simmons walk.

Simmons likely could have found a great deal for him to get paid if he was a UFA. He is 27 years old. Likely wanted minutes that the Spurs couldn't guarantee him, and with Orlando he can at least try for another payday when he is 29/30.

Dude doesn't have too many paydays in him. Doubt Spurs wanted a player that would be pissed off at not getting minutes or enough money or anything on their team.

Still, WTF at the Pau deal.

I want you to think real hard how little has been given up in trades for these All-Stars/All-NBA players and tell me that the Bucks trade idea is not possible

All of those teams were in situations where keeping the player also hurt their ability to tank/rebuild, so even if the returns were bad, they had less leverage than the Cavs.

Cavs go from championship contender with Kyrie to championship contender with other pieces. That's their primary focus atm.

Giannis isn't on the same tier as Wall, CP3, and Davis

I would still take KAT over him

Defense is a thing. Giannis as it stands, is a much more versatile and well-rounded player, and I trust him and his work ethic to keep improving his jumper (which is definitely is something he is working on and has improved already)

Bucks 99 times out of 100 hang up the phone if Minnesota calls for a trade of Giannis for KAT. Same with Davis for Giannis. Pretty sure either Giannis or Kawhi, not sure which, have the highest trade values in the league. Both are also paid under the max.

Giannis might be a tier below them, but they're all in the "almost superstars" level.

Is their a case that Davis will be better then KAT? He's still only 24

His defense isn't as good but that series where he dropped 35 and 10 a game on the champion warriors in the playoffs was bonkers.

????

I can't tell who you're talking about here. Davis is an elite rim protector and defensive player. The main reason you take KAT over him is injury history. KAT and Davis are both players who could easily go on to score MVPs, so the talent/skill/athleticism/whatever else makes a basketball player "better" isn't really a question, it's just a matter of how their careers go.

AD's defense is much better than KAT's

????

I can't tell who you're talking about here. Davis is an elite rim protector and defensive player. The main reason you take KAT over him is injury history. KAT and Davis are both players who could easily go on to score MVPs, so the talent/skill/athleticism/whatever else makes a basketball player "better" isn't really a question, it's just a matter of how their careers go.

I meant defensive upside because of college, but yeah you're right, Davis is too good.

Granted it's because of injuries but all I hear about is KAT, not much on Davis.

Proelite

If you had to pair the top 10 players in groups of 2s on different teams, who would go together?

Assuming that Durant and Curry is already together.

TTG

Tier of near-superstars that are just below - Wall, Giannis, CP3, Davis

There we go. That's 10.

I move CP3 up and our MVPs down to call it a top 5, but that's a reasonable list. Is Wall really up there? I don't have a better name for you to carry a team, but idk. Moving on to 10-15: Klaystation, Draymond, Kyrie, Jimmy,
Embiid

Looks like Boogie is out of it. Honestly, how much Sacramento Kings basketball are we all watching? I'd rather reserve judgement on a guy than stick him somewhere based on what ESPN thinks of him combined with that one game I saw 6 months ago.

Some of this depends on what you value, it's the classic Lebron vs. Kobe argument. Kobe is never going to drag a team to the conference finals like Lebron, but that's not the only barometer. Case in point, Draymond would be useless by that measure.

I meant defensive upside because of college, but yeah you're right, Davis is too good.

Granted it's because of injuries but all I hear about is KAT.

I remember being incredibly confused about the discussions of KAT > Davis around this time last year. You can have all the superstar potential in the world, but Davis was the first of the younger players to go out and actually become a superstar (although the age difference between him and Kawhi is less than that of him and KAT, so I'm always a little hesitant about grouping Davis in the "younger stars" group)

TTG

I remember being incredibly confused about the discussions of KAT > Davis around this time last year. You can have all the superstar potential in the world, but Davis was the first of the younger players to go out and actually become a superstar (although the age difference between him and Kawhi is less than that of him and KAT, so I'm always a little hesitant about grouping Davis in the "younger stars" group)

Not to go all Mark Cuban on you, but no.

Not to go all Mark Cuban on you, but no.

???

Wanna clarify? I probably take KAT due to having him for more years, and injury history, and him improving again this year (still not better than Davis atm). But if they're both MVP level talents, but Davis has achieved a ton of his potential already, and KAT hasn't yet done that, Davis is better.

mjp2417

Banned

I think there is an argument to be made that KAT has more value because of the injury concerns with Davis + longer team control. Has anyone ever seriously argued that KAT is a better player at this moment in time?

There's more stuff about Melo and Houston, but at this point, I'm wary of posting anything till it happens. Nevertheless, if the stuff that is out there is to be trusted, according to one source, Melo to the Rockets happens tomorrow/today (Tuesday), another source says that it happens at 5:45 PM tomorrow, and another source says Portland is in fact involved.

2nd one sorta called the CP3 trade and other moves around that time. Seems to be friends with Morey. 3rd one seems based in Portland, so if they do indeed have sources, I'm guessing it's within the Blazers org.

It's not sure enough for me, but it's also not stuff from people like Schultz, Isola, Amico, Kennedy, etc. that you can immediately throw out.

I think there is an argument to be made that KAT has more value because of the injury concerns with Davis + longer team control. Has anyone ever seriously argued that KAT is a better player at this moment in time?

I remember seeing it a lot in terms of predictions for 2016-17. People were way too high on the Timberwolves because of Thibs + young players.

TTG

???

Wanna clarify? I probably take KAT due to having him for more years, and injury history, and him improving again this year (still not better than Davis atm). But if they're both MVP level talents, but Davis has achieved a ton of his potential already, and KAT hasn't yet done that, Davis is better.

I meant the superstar comment, thus a reference to Mark Cuban. KAT and AD are in the same category as players who put up numbers on bad teams.

Boogs31

It's indisputable that Westbrook is a top 6 player?

I put the top 12 players in two separate tiers.

Tier 1:

1) LeBron
2) Kawhi
3) Durant
4) Curry
5) Harden

Some may argue with the order but I doubt anyone would disagree with that being the top 5. I put them in their own class because I believe if they are a teams top player, that team is going to win at least 50 games. I disagree that Westbrook should be included within that group.

Tier 2 consists of 7 players that are good not great first options but elite second options. If they are a teams best player that team will most likely make the playoffs.

Tier 2:

6) CP3
7) Westbrook
8) Wall
9) Davis
10) PG13
11) Butler
12) Giannis

CP3 is closer to a tier 1 guy than Westbrook is. He's a more efficient offensive player, better defender, better shooter, and has a better assist/turnover ratio.

Dynomutt

Rose, signed to the Cavs on July 24nd from the faltering New York Kicks, said his new squad has been referred to as a “super team” when asked what type of expectations he had for them.

“They’re high,” Rose said to NBA.com. “I mean, with these teams right now, they’re saying us and Golden State are the super teams, and they’re trying not to build that many super teams, and Adam Silver came out with the statement and this and that. … You’ve got Paul (George) who just got traded for one year, he’s got to show why he’s there. I’ve got to show why I’m there. LBJ (Lebron James) has to show why he’s there. Everybody’s trying to prove themselves.”

There is pretty good chance the Cavs may have to bring Kyrie back for the beginning of the season.

They will ask for a kings ransom and nobody will bite.

Nah if you're going to break that core up you need to do it before the season or not at all.

Denver makes a lot of sense after reading Zach Lowe's piece. Some collection of Harris, Murray, Barton, Chandler and Faried. If you're CLE you could even unload some of your bad contracts while collecting youth and role players ready to help a contender now.

Nah if you're going to break that core up you need to do it before the season or not at all.

Denver makes a lot of sense after reading Zach Lowe's piece. Some collection of Harris, Murray, Barton, Chandler and Faried. If you're CLE you could even unload some of your bad contracts while collecting youth and role players ready to help a contender now.

None of them are the blue chip guy the Cavs want and if I am the Nuggets I am not gutting my roster for Kyrie and a bunch of bad salary.

Plus that Jokic/Kyrie dynamic would be too much like the Lebron/Kyrie dynamic for my liking.

I am not taking the Cavs trash only for Kyrie to walk after a couple of years.

I feel like Giannis gets a lot of credit for his potential rather than his actual contributions.

If that was a year ago you would be right but not after this year.

He just led an injury riddled roster to the playoffs while posting one of the most well rounded statistical seasons of anyone. He already a top 10 player in terms of contributions.

None of them are the blue chip guy the Cavs want and if I am the Nuggets I am not gutting my roster for Kyrie and a bunch of bad salary.

Plus that Jokic/Kyrie dynamic would be too much like the Lebron/Kyrie dynamic for my liking.

I am not taking the Cavs trash only for Kyrie to walk after a couple of years.

Millsap would expire the same year as Kyrie and if you think he walks trade him and continue to build around Jokic. Kyrie just wants his own team and he'd have that in DEN a city who's main export isn't crippling depression.

It's not like you would have to worry about him bolting to join a Super Team or head home to any particular team

It's about the closest compromise where Kryie gets his wish, CLE clears cap space while obtaining young pieces when Lebron leaves, Lebron gets a new super team of Love and the Denver Nuggets

Talks about Conor McGregor and Draymond Green.

Draymond is "way too arrogant."

LOL.
Connor is a champ in a 1v1 sport and is about to get 100m due to his shit talking. Draymond literally talks like he's the biggest superstar on the Warriors half the time, and I can't take the amount of cringe. Dude is lucky that someone like Curry doesn't care about any of that noise or he would have been leveled his dumbass a long time ago (or better yet, the last 2 years when it was glaringly evident).

Draymond on the not GOAT attacking team and possibly best team of all time would look like Cousins with elite D and hustle, in terms of looking like a dumbass whose antics aren't doing anything to winning. But he's in an amazing position where he can lose a team a final by being a dumbfuck and they still forgive him.
.....I don't see how the Warriors are motivating this?
Because when you're winning, tension gets put on the back of the bus. When you get humiliated and shit on as a big team, it only enhances issues.

OKC beating Warriors this year would be hilarious
Almost as funny as x star player going to Lakers but not really happening that happens every year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Servbot24

Banned
Connor is a champ in a 1v1 sport and is about to get 100m due to his shit talking. Draymond literally talks like he's the biggest superstar on the Warriors half the time, and I can't take the amount of cringe. Dude is lucky that someone like Curry doesn't care about any of that noise or he would have been leveled his dumbass a long time ago (or better yet, the last 2 years when it was glaringly evident).

Draymond on the not GOAT attacking team and possibly best team of all time would look like Cousins with elite D and hustle, in terms of looking like a dumbass whose antics aren't doing anything to winning. But he's in an amazing position where he can lose a team a final by being a dumbfuck and they still forgive him.

Cousins with elite defense and hustle would pass up Westbrook and Harden to be a top 5 player

Draymond obvs isn't Cousins though

Cousins with elite defense and hustle would pass up Westbrook and Harden to be a top 5 player

Draymond obvs isn't Cousins though

Yeah I figured that would get misconstrued. Cousins is one of the best off players, and they're different types (one shines in off, other in def). My point is they're both the biggest dumbfucks in the league and due to their attitude they hamper teams, though Cousins is on a tier above Draymond quality wise whose dumbass probably thinks he's top 5-7 in the league despite shooting like Daredevil on wide open shots that he gets every single game.

Connor is an actual superstar in his sport, he's the superstar so when he talks shit I can let it slide. Draymond on the other hand is nowhere near a superstar and talks shit because he has actual superstars in his team, otherwise no one would listen to his dumbass.

EDIT: A lotta yall underrating Cousins, even with him being a cancer and a dumbass of the highest proportion.

Line_HTX

"Melo's rumored Primary Objective..." Yeah, OK sure. Talk to me when there's substantial movement when New York stops being stupid idiots.

Cheebo

Banned
jdstorm no one wants Greg Monroe. No one. Bucks have been shopping him for over a year and a half desperate to get rid of him. Bucks aren't trading Monroe + picks for Kyrie lol.

CD'S BAR

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...w-knicks-could-get-carmelo-anthony-out-of-nyc

The No-Trade Clause Blues: How Knicks Could Get Carmelo Anthony out of NYC

The Deal: Tony Parker and Danny Green to the Knicks; Carmelo Anthony to the Spurs

It would be incredible to watch Anthony play for Gregg Popovich, a coach he'd have to respect. And it's not like the Spurs couldn't use Anthony's firepower, either. They'd miss Parker's leadership and Green's defense, but both areas can be filled.

wut

When is the last time we had a 1 for 1 swap of current all-stars? Ray Allen - Gary Payton Trade?

It wasn't quite 1 to 1 (bunch of scrubs and picks involved) but if the Cavs do a deal like that they are beyond screwed.

Over the hill melo for almost prime Kyrie isn't as awful as prime Ray Allen for 28 games of over the hill Gary Payton but its still pretty bad.

Lebron is still likely good enough to beat Boston as long as he has a halfway decent roster. That team would get swept by GSW though.

Eh, if Rose stays healthy (big "if", I know), that's probably a better lineup than last year. I mean, they're not gonna play any D, but they'll have steady scoring from everywhere but the 5 (and really, TT is just there to get them a second opportunity every now and then).

Melo is kinda interesting to me...I mean, we've seen him actually play D in the olympics, so it could very well be a motivation/effort thing. But at this point, he's also older, so even if he is now willing to do his part, who knows if he still has the capability.

Eh, if Rose stays healthy (big "if", I know), that's probably a better lineup than last year. I mean, they're not gonna play any D, but they'll have steady scoring from everywhere but the 5 (and really, TT is just there to get them a second opportunity every now and then).

Melo is kinda interesting to me...I mean, we've seen him actually play D in the olympics, so it could very well be a motivation/effort thing. But at this point, he's also older, so even if he is now willing to do his part, who knows if he still has the capability.

That lineup isn't better.Upgrading from JR to Melo isn't enough to make up for downgrading massively from Kyrie to whats left of Rose.

Also playing defense in the olympics isn't as demanding as in the NBA.
The point of bringing Melo to a banana boat team is making him have the attitude he had in Team USA and share the rock more. It won't magically make him into a good defender.

Top Bottom