• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NC Gov. Roy Cooper signs fake HB2 Repeal Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/847545768323956736?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hb2-repeal-north-carolina-legislature-votes-overturn-controversial-bathroom-bill-n740546

A deal that North Carolina lawmakers reached to repeal the state's controversial and costly "bathroom bill" passed on Thursday after a contentious debate — but the compromise has left LGBTQ advocates exasperated, with some calling it "shameful" and an "outrageous betrayal."

Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper signed the bill into law just hours after the state's House passed the bill 70-48 on Thursday afternoon after nearly two hours of heated debate.

The state's Senate passed the bill by a 32-16 vote earlier in the day, after a deal was struck late Wednesday between the state's new governor, who campaigned on fully repealing the HB2 bill, and North Carolina's leading Republican lawmakers, who have supported the measure.

aeolist

Banned
-get elected thanks to a massive backlash against bad GOP policy

-promise everyone you'll work to get rid of it

-put together a "compromise" that everyone hates and does nothing

-lose reelection campaign in 4 years

it's the democratic way

-get elected thanks to a massive backlash against bad GOP policy

-promise everyone you'll work to get rid of it

-put together a "compromise" that everyone hates and does nothing

-lose reelection campaign in 4 years

it's the democratic way
I'm more and more convinced that our system is beyond fixing by the day.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I honestly wonder if they just think all these companies are dumb to hear "HB2 REPEALED" and just putting everything back without doing any further digging.

pargonta

everyones opinion is critical of this, but what am i supposed to be upset about?

HB2 has been repealed.

In 2020 local gov can put in place their own laws..

it was never going to be black and white leaning towards either direction, so this is a good thing as compromise. If you really though it was going to be repealed wholesale thats just not feasible

everyones opinion is critical of this, but what am i supposed to be upset about?

HB2 has been repealed.

it was never going to be black and white leaning towards either direction, so this is a good thing as compromise. If you really though it was going to be repealed wholesale thats just not feasible

He campaigned on a full repeal and almost immediately abandoned it. It's garbage.

HB2 has been repealed.

Human rights is not something that should be compromised on.

I honestly wonder if they just think all these companies are dumb to hear "HB2 REPEALED" and just putting everything back without doing any further digging.
Like the optics will just go away. They probably do think that and I kinda hope it backfired and even more companies leave because of it.

He campaigned on a full repeal and almost immediately abandoned it. It's garbage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Republicans still have a supermajority in both houses of the state Legislature (I think I remember it being enough that they could actually pass things without the the governor's approval before the election). So the choices were basically compromise now and hope that the redistricting that has to happen by 2018 leads to being able to pass better laws in 2020, or live with HB2 still being the law of the land until the courts decide to strike in down, maybe in another year or two.

aeolist

Banned

HB2 has been repealed.

the 2020 sunset provision does not cover public bathrooms. no NC government entity other than the state legislature is allowed to set trans bathroom policy one way or the other.

I don't know that there's anything else Cooper could have done, aside from waiting for midterms and/or provoking it to go to the courts.

As an above poster said, there are Republican supermajorities in both houses. His hands were more or less tied.

Doesn't make it right but it's the reality.

aeolist

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Republicans still have a supermajority in both houses of the state Legislature (I think I remember it being enough that they could actually pass things without the the governor's approval before the election). So the choices were basically compromise now and hope that the redistricting that has to happen by 2018 leads to being able to pass better laws in 2020, or live with HB2 still being the law of the land until the courts decide to strike in down, maybe in another year or two.

the real choice is between telling the truth ("HB2 is awful and discriminatory and we can't repeal it unless we take the house, blame this on GOP legislators") and lying ("this is a repeal of HB2, now the NCAA can come back!")

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
the real choice is between telling the truth ("HB2 is awful and discriminatory and we can't repeal it unless we take the house, blame this on GOP legislators") and lying ("this is a repeal of HB2, now the NCAA can come back!")

"This was a civil right victory".

That's pretty much the gist of what I gathered myself. Seems like a pretty big gamble to criticise good in favor of perfect. Until republicans are out of power in the state, what more can he really do?

edit: saw the above replies. Ok, that makes sense. But it still does nothing for the meanwhile.

Ac30

Lying is awful and he should be roasted for that. The democrats taking control of the house or senate is a pipe dream though.

Lying is awful and he should be roasted for that. The democrats taking control of the house or senate is a pipe dream though.

It shouldn't be a pipe dream! But if the party is so inept that they can't turn a nearly universally hated law that's losing the state billions of dollars into a Senate majority then they have more problems than I realized.

Hmmm it's doing what they wanted. Even if the bill isn't really repealed, the news around the country is that it was. That means NC can stop the bleeding of business leaving the state.

aeolist

Banned

it's a pipe dream as long as he keeps this kind of shit up. cooper should compromise and get what he can, absolutely. if this is the biggest concession he can get from the state GOP then take it and keep the pressure up for more. make it clear that there is further work to be done. rally the base and keep them agitated going into 2018.

selling this as an actual victory just to get corporate cash flowing again is reprehensible and will come back to hurt him and the party.

Xe4

Banned
I mean, I get that the bill is a bunch of BS, but I don't know what he could have done, aside from waving his hands about the issue. The NC GOP severely restricted his power, and without legislation, there's not much that can be done.

I hope businesses continue to boycott the state until a full repeal happens, and Cooper needs to continue to apply pressure to get a full repeal.

guek

Banned
It shouldn't be a pipe dream! But if the party is so inept that they can't turn a nearly universally hated law that's losing the state billions of dollars into a Senate majority then they have more problems than I realized.

Unfortunately it aint that easy

Ac30

it's a pipe dream as long as he keeps this kind of shit up. cooper should compromise and get what he can, absolutely. if this is the biggest concession he can get from the state GOP then take it and keep the pressure up for more. make it clear that there is further work to be done. rally the base and keep them agitated going into 2018.

selling this as an actual victory just to get corporate cash flowing again is reprehensible and will come back to hurt him and the party.

We'll see what happens when the next state elections happen. But, Roy Cooper barely won an election versus McRory who is a massive piece of shit. The average NC resident appears to not give a shit whatsoever, so I don't know how the dems are supposed to capitalize on this bill failing. The Democrat won because the Republican was just that fucking terrible.

My God do I hope NC turns blue one day.

muteki

Checked a few local news sites here in Raleigh and the headlines are all advertising it a "repeal".

I'm not sure how any potential business would look at this and come rushing back to NC.

Wallach

What an idiot. He had plenty of leverage to throw this bill in the dumpster, why would you chain this problem to yourself when it was completely pinned on Republicans before.

ryseing

It's a pipe dream because NC is gerrymandered to hell and back. The majority of people in the cities despise HB2, but the average rural resident doesn't care. North Carolina is a microcosm of the current American political state. Our cities are doing reasonably well but the outsourcing of manufacturing killed the smaller towns.

We'll see what happens when the next state elections happen. But, Roy Cooper barely won an election versus McRory who is a massive piece of shit. The average NC resident appears to not give a shit whatsoever, so I don't know how the dems are supposed to capitalize on this bill failing. The Democrat won because the Republican was just that fucking terrible.

My God do I hope NC turns blue one day.

Honest question because I'm not from there: Do people in the state know they're losing billions of dollars because of this? Do they care?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
NCAA needs to take their game out of town. Don't fall into this mess.

I don't know that there's anything else Cooper could have done, aside from waiting for midterms and/or provoking it to go to the courts.

As an above poster said, there are Republican supermajorities in both houses. His hands were more or less tied.

Doesn't make it right but it's the reality.

Progressives say it's not progressive enough. Proceeds to stay home or vote third party next election, is flabbergasted at results of total republican control in 2020. "How did this happen?"

The issue is that it seems like Cooper didn't consult with businesses to make sure this would bring them back. Now he's sold out his LGTBQ constituents for potentially nothing. If businesses reject this for the shallow band-aid that it is then the only thing that's really changed is that he and the Dems now own this awful law just as much as the GOP and can't use it as a line of attack anymore. The restrictions against anti-descrimination ordinances last until 2020 at which point Cooper could easily get ousted by a GOP challenger (especially now that he's pissed off a voting block that helped him win by a very tight margin) giving the GOP the ability to put in more permanent restrictions.

Depending on whether businesses see this as enough or not, Cooper may have made things worse for himself than if he'd done nothing at all.

Ac30

Progressives say it's not progressive enough. Proceeds to stay home or vote third party next election, is flabbergasted at results of total republican control in 2020. "How did this happen?"

FPTP is disgusting and Trudeau dropping the ball in Canada is going to deliver parliament to the nutjob conservatives.

Arttemis

Are the NCAA coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom