• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NC Gov. Roy Cooper signs fake HB2 Repeal Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

Banned
The issue is that it seems like Cooper didn't consult with businesses to make sure this would bring them back. Now he's sold out his LGTBQ constituents for potentially nothing. If businesses reject this for the shallow band-aid that it is then the only thing that's really changed is that he and the Dems now own this awful law just as much as the GOP and can't use it as a line of attack anymore. The restrictions against anti-descrimination ordinances last until 2020 at which point Cooper could easily get ousted by a GOP challenger (especially now that he's pissed off a voting block that helped him win by a very tight margin) giving the GOP the ability to put in more permanent restrictions.

Depending on whether businesses see this as enough or not, Cooper may have made things worse for himself than if he'd done nothing at all.

The thing is that when the businesses don't come back that will give Cooper more leverage to get rid of every part of the bill. Baby steps.

Haha. This is why people don't vote. Democrat is just as dumb as the Republican.

This half-measure only exists because of the supermajority of pubs in the state congress.

Why the fuck is Cooper going along with this charade?

Because he knows he has no power to actually remove HB2, but is desperate to get back the money of businesses and groups that have been boycotting. So a solution to get those folks to start coming back without actually improving the situation of the people victimized by HB2 is an outcome he'll accept.

Kthulhu

The thing is that when the businesses don't come back that will give Cooper more leverage to get rid of every part of the bill. Baby steps.

This half-measure only exists because of the supermajority of pubs in the state congress.

First they compromise on economics, now civil rights.

No wonder Trump won when our party is full of spinless losers at every level.

How can you defend this?

Well, yes, but they have no power. A bill that doesn't get the republican supermajorities on board is pointless.

Cooper caved to corporate threats and signed the best compromise he was able to get from the GOP legislature. I don't like it, but this doesn't change the fact that the party has to win more seats to pass progressive legislation.

Steel

Banned

How can you defend this?

This is not the end of this issue, it's the first step. Without this nothing at all would've happened in the forseeable future, NC was not going to go blue in their state congress, period. At least this gives a chance.

Ac30

Cooper caved to corporate threats and signed the best compromise he was able to get from the GOP legislature. I don't like it, but this doesn't change the fact that the party has to win more seats to pass progressive legislation.

I really don't know what I would have done in this situation either. NC will be red for the foreseeable future and this bill at least gives cities the opportunity to enact their own legislation starting in 2020. Cooper shouldn't run with this as a win, though.

This is not the end of this issue, it's the first step. Without this nothing at all would've happened in the forseeable future, NC was not going to go blue in their state congress, period. At least this gives a chance.

Honestly NC should have been stripped of all investments until the law was overturned entirely. Now business may return with this false civil rights win and people can pretend like nothing happened. At the very least Cooper could have spoken out how he didn't want to sign this but was forced to for the well being of the state. Instead he is hailing it as a civil rights victory. Go fuck yourself Cooper.

Steel

Banned
Honestly NC should have been stripped of all investments until the law was overturned entirely. Now business may return with this false civil rights win and people can pretend like nothing happened.

I hope they don't, but that's certainly a possibility.

Haha. This is why people don't vote. Democrat is just as dumb as the Republican.

Not voting is the issue. You want to truly fix this shit, you can't let the wrong side get a super majority. You don't elect one person and get to think, FREE REIGN. That's not how any of this works.

I really don't know what I would have done in this situation either. NC will be red for the foreseeable future and this bill at least gives cities the opportunity to enact their own legislation starting in 2020. Cooper shouldn't run with this as a win, though.

The hope in NC is the same hope for the rest of the country - hope that an enraged public hands the GOP a massive loss in 2018.

Kthulhu

They won't do jack shit. The governor probably sees this as enough and won't push for anything.

I hope you don't live in North Carolina, because I'd be ashamed to sell out my fellow countrymen for literally nothing.

Instro

How can you defend this?

What is the alternative in the current situation? It's either a shitty compromise, or nothing happens at all until voting. Neither strikes me as particularly great for anyone.

kirblar

It shouldn't be a pipe dream! But if the party is so inept that they can't turn a nearly universally hated law that's losing the state billions of dollars into a Senate majority then they have more problems than I realized.
The Dem party can't magically make people stop voting GOP.

Steel

Banned
They won't do jack shit. The governor probably sees this as enough and won't push for anything.

I hope you don't live in North Carolina, because I'd be ashamed to sell out my fellow countrymen for literally nothing.

I certainly don't and I'd be selling out myself in that case. The governor did not see this as enough already:

"In a perfect world with a good General Assembly, we would have repealed House Bill 2 fully today and added full state wide protections for LGBT North Carolinians," he said, adding that Republican lawmakers would not allow him to pass those protections.

"But this is an important goal that I will keep fighting for," he said.

kirblar

People not voting is what gets us this shit. They're passing this awful compromise because they literally can't get anything else through the house.

Only one side was blocking this from repeal, and it sure as hell wasn't the Dems.

Kthulhu

What is the alternative in the current situation? It's either a shitty compromise, or nothing happens at all until voting. Neither strikes me as particularly great for anyone.

What happened to "resisting"? He should've tried to repeal the whole thing and throw it in the GOPs face in the midterms when they shot it down.

Now when NC's economy is still shit the GOP will blame him and keep their majority.

Kusagari

The 2020 thing seems like a joke. Seems like the GOP in NC simply betting on him losing in four years and being able to overturn the ordinance on cities eventually.

Yeah haha can you imagine what might have happened if people actually voted for the Democrat on Nov. 8th? Both sides amirite

But her emails... so I'm gonna not vote for her and check against R every name down because they are doing such a great job at least that's what the ads on tv tell me despite the very same people introducing this shit I don't like when they show it in the news on tv.

Oh I'll stay home then, I believe in the people making the right decision, progressive always wins out in the end....

Wallach

What happened to "resisting"? He should've tried to repeal the whole thing and throw it in the GOPs face in the midterms when they shot it down.

Now when NC's economy is still shit the GOP will blame him and keep their majority.

That's pretty much it. NC was losing billions on HB2 and it was 100% Republican owned. They were only going to defend this dogshit for so long. Money talks unless you interrupt it.

Alchemy

The fake repeal is pretty disgusting, but reading through the NBC article and seeing "Even transgender icon, reality TV star and Olympic gold medalist Caitlyn Jenner ..." made me throw up in my mouth.

FreezeSSC

Lol at the replies to this thread, by not signing this bill businesses continue to flee NC and Republicans will attack him for job loses on his watch even though they're the cause of it.

Where were you in November? The exact same thing you are describing here was done then and the GOP still has a super majority thanks to gerrymandering.

Steel

Banned

He would've been blamed regardless. They would've pointed to the fact that he vetoed a repeal compromise of HB2 and put it on his head, just like republicans blamed dems for not voting for a zika bill that got rid of planned parenthood. They always put themselves in win-win positions politically. If being under McCrory wasn't enough to get the congress there to flip, then nothing is.

kirblar

The 2020 thing seems like a joke. Seems like the GOP in NC simply betting on him losing in four years and being able to overturn the ordinance on cities eventually.
Yup, they're just going to put it back the moment he's gone.

There isn't a "good" option here for him here, he tried to do the best he could, and blaming him instead of the GOP is absolutely ridiculous.

Kthulhu

Where were you in November? The exact same thing you are describing here was done then and the GOP still has a super majority thanks to gerrymandering.

I don't live in NC, I was here in Texas voting Democrat across the board.

I know that's what they did. Does that excuse the governor rolling over and accepting this?

Steel

Banned

I know that's what they did. Does that excuse the governor rolling over and accepting this?

It was this or nothing. At worst this is the same as nothing, at best he manages to win the governorship again next time and it becomes more than nothing.

Yup, they're just going to put it back the moment he's gone.

There isn't a "good" option here for him here, he tried to do the best he could, and blaming him instead of the GOP is absolutely ridiculous.

The GOP are probably relying on the catch-22 progressive politicians in red areas find themselves in. Unable to compromise and get any change, progressive gets voted out for being a lame duck. Compromise = progressive gets voted out because they compromised. Progressive citizens really need to learn the enemy of good is expecting perfection. What progressives should really do is take this a sign that Cooper needs help and vote for a more progressive congress.

Ac30

The hope in NC is the same hope for the rest of the country - hope that an enraged public hands the GOP a massive loss in 2018.

They're staking a lot on this hope. Roy Cooper could well be replaced by a GOP politician soon. This was probably the best deal he could get.

As for the above poster, it's like a tea party of the left. Better policies, same mindset.

Kthulhu

It was this or nothing. At worst this is the same as nothing, at best he manages to win the governorship again next time and it becomes more than nothing.

What's the next step then? Oh right​, nothing. The GOP will keep their majority and take the governorship back.

-get elected thanks to a massive backlash against bad GOP policy

-promise everyone you'll work to get rid of it

-put together a "compromise" that everyone hates and does nothing

-lose reelection campaign in 4 years

it's the democratic way

-elect democrat to head position of government after disastrous Republican administration

-don't turn up or vote in mid terms or elections that can give democrat legislative body that he can reasonably work with.

-complain both parties are the same when democrats are the incumbent party

-don't vote again until republicans are in control and remind everyone how terrible they really are.

Democratic voter's way.

Steel

Banned
What's the next step then? Oh right​, nothing. The GOP will keep their majority and take the governorship back.

That was the most likely scenario no matter what was done. Cooper is far more likely to win the governship a second time then the state congress is to flip. It's a chance, not a great one, but a chance.

Instro

It seems just as likely that not all business returns, and he is able to continue to throw it in the GOPs face while simultaneously pointing out that he is hamstrung. It's all spin until 2018, the GOP could just as easily paint him as obstructionist and job killing by not signing this compromise.

Getting nothing done for two years on this subject sounds equally detrimental to campaign efforts, at least to me anyway.

Kthulhu

-elect democrat to head position of government after disastrous Republican administration

-don't turn up or vote in mid terms or elections that can give democrat legislative body that he can reasonably work with.

-complain both parties are the same when democrats are the incumbent party

-don't vote again until republicans are in control and remind everyone how terrible they really are.

Democratic voter's way.

It's the party's job to get out the vote.

conpfreak

Is this gonna fly with the NCAA? The only reason they acted on this today was because the NCAA literally set a deadline for today to repeal the bill or suffer losing consideration for tournaments for the 2018-22 cycles. If HB2 effectively stays in place until 2020, then the NC government hasn't acted in good faith.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Even if this is the best he could do right now, he should absolutely not pretend that the fight is over. To do so is just to further his own cause at the detriment to those negatively impacted.

For the people whose livelihoods depend on the business that was leaving the state I imagine it does.

Ac30

It's the party's job to get out the vote.

The Republicans never seem to need to. It is your civic duty to vote. Not voting doesn't send a message, it tells the people in power that they can ignore you, because they don't need your vote. It's a self-sustaining cycle.

I encourage everyone to read this:
http://www.economist.com/news/inter...e-continue-shun-ballot-box-millennials-across

It is your fucking job to get out and vote. No one will carry your ass to the voting booth. You want change, vote for it, or get ignored.

The democrats need to figure out some single issue crap as well so people just reflexively tick D.

What about the people who's lives depend on a full repeal that would solve everyone's problems?

They weren't going to get that until 2019 at the earliest. And they still can if people get it through their thick skulls that voting is fucking important.

Even if this is the best he could do right now, he should absolutely not pretend that the fight is over. To do so is just to further his own cause at the detriment to those negatively impacted.

Based on the quote earlier in the thread, he is not pretending that the fight is over.

What about the people who's lives depend on a full repeal that would solve everyone's problems?

A full repeal wasn't on the table at the moment.

He's working with the same people who tried to literally strip him of basically all power before it getting shot down by the courts.

It sucks he can't do more but he's literally doing what he can here. Bringing businesses back and getting the economy moving is really his only chance for re-election and to make legislative gains so that maybe he can put a better bill on the table. It probably won't work but he's doing the best he can do here without any support from sane people.

The Wart

This idiotic fucking attitude is a major reason we have Republican supermajorities in NC legislature.

Nobody is happy with this bill on either the left or right. It is an incremental improvement that leaves the state in a ever-so-slightly less shitty situation. That's how government is supposed to work. The governor is not an activist, he has to actually govern, and the state he is governing has a large conservative population that has lots of political power. Major compromises will be necessary for the foreseeable future.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Based on the quote earlier in the thread, he is not pretending that the fight is over.

Ah, missed that quote.

He should still be hammered on this again and again in the future. As should the Assembly. Nothing has been done here. Freshman Trans kids will have graduated high school by the time they might get the chance to use the right bathroom.

Kthulhu

The Republicans never seem to need to. It is your civic duty to vote. Not voting doesn't send a message, it tells the people in power that they can ignore you, because they don't need your vote. It's a self-sustaining cycle.

I encourage everyone to read this:
http://www.economist.com/news/inter...e-continue-shun-ballot-box-millennials-across

It is your fucking job to get out and vote. No one will carry your ass to the voting booth. You want change, vote for it, or get ignored.

The democrats need to figure out some single issue crap as well so people just reflexively tick D.

Cuz they don't suck at it. I see their efforts every two years. Puts the Dems to fucking shame.

You should have seen the half assed attempt the HERO people did here a few years ago, absolutely pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom