• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA March Madness: Sweet 16 / Elite 8 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
same shit, another year.

reddick chokes
Williams fouls out.
GG Duke.

it wouldn't be so bad if we lost while playing a team that was on fire (like Wake). We just played like shit.

Mrbob

:lol :lol

It's true though. The media does nothing but pimp the east coast and practically ignore the rest of the country. Mainly because ESPN is based out of New York.

Mrbob

BYE BYE ACC!!!

BIG 10>>>>>>>>>>ACC

BIG 10 = 3 TEAMS IN THE ELITE 8

BIG 10 = CHAMPS!

Wooooooooooooooooooo hahahahhahahahahahaha

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mrbob said:
:lol :lol

It's true though. The media does nothing but pimp the east coast and practically ignore the rest of the country. Mainly because ESPN is based out of New York.

they are in bristal, conn

3 Big Ten teams in the Elite 8. Bad year, huh?

Oh, but I know what the response will be. ""Well, Wisconsin had to play 3 double-digit seeds to get in. Michigan State played a bad Duke team (like there ever is a bad Duke team), and Illinois had to play a lowly 12 seed.""

Seth C

Duck of Death said:
3 Big Ten teams in the Elite 8. Bad year, huh?

Oh, but I know what the response will be. ""Well, Wisconsin had to play 3 double-digit seeds to get in. Michigan State played a bad Duke team (like there ever is a bad Duke team), and Illinois had to play a lowly 12 seed.""

Blah, blah, blah...stop the whining. There doesn't need to be a response like that. Based on the regular season (all anyone had to go on) it DID look like a down season in the Big Ten. Hard to argue against that. However, in the tournament all regular season records are tossed out and everyone starts again 0-0. Big Ten is proving itself now, and that's fine.

Hey, I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that there will be people who still criticize the Big 10 the way I described. That's a fact, just watch Around the Horn on monday :lol

Having said all that, I think only 1 big ten team will make it to the final four.

East Coast bias includes Mich. St and other BigTen teams? Well, that's news to me. I always thought that was reserved for ACC/BigEast teams.

Seth C

Sal Paradise Jr said:
East Coast bias includes Mich. St and other BigTen teams? Well, that's news to me. I always thought that was reserved for ACC/BigEast teams.

It doesn't include the other conferences so much as it does the other big teams on the eastern half of the country. You know teams like Michigan State, Kentucky, and Florida get more hype from the media than any of the west coast teams do.

NLB2

Banned
Sal Paradise Jr said:
I love the damage control from the announcers. "The Big Ten is having a bad year. Its only thier best three teams that are good." (paraphrased). I laugh at this bullshit. Big Ten > ACC. We will have confirmation when Illinois beats UNC.

Mrbob

NLB2 said:
I love the damage control from the announcers. "The Big Ten is having a bad year. Its only thier best three teams that are good." (paraphrased). I laugh at this bullshit. Big Ten > ACC. We will have confirmation when Illinois beats UNC.

If UNC can beat NOVA first! :lol If they get by Villinova they gotta face the BIG, BAD BADGERS!

The only reason Michigan State gets a slight hint of air time is because they've done well in the tourney over the years. Otherwise the media pumps up the Big East/ACC and ignores the rest of the country!

marko

Both Nova and UNC played like crap overall and with Nova's best player out, and Ray playing like crap, Nova never had a chance. Nice game by Foy and Lowry for Nova though.

Seth C

And 25% of the Elite Eight is from the little state of Kentucky. Here is hoping we can make it 50% of the Final Four and 100% of the championship game, eh Cards?

marko

Maybe I missed something, announcers made it sound like an obvious travel, but I didn't see it. Either way a tough call to go from making basket with chance to tie to a travel.

marko

As a matter of fact, that was one of the worse calls I've seen, and it was made worse by Raftery(who is usually pretty decent) and Linquist making it worse by saying refs made the right call.

That was a bad call. I'm sorry but with such a close game, that call was THE difference. If karma's a bitch, looks like UNC's got a date with her in the near future.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
That travelling call could not have gone either way.
It was not a travel. And if the refs saw a travel it was due to the foul. I'm UNC fan but the refs robbed Villanova of that win.
I hate seeing crap like that cost teams games.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
good lord. how awful. a great game ruined in the last seconds by a miserable call. ugh.

that super slow-mo zoom replay they showed on gamenight pretty much removes any doubt. not a walk. all three guys on there said it was a bad call too.
if i was nova's AD i would be asking the NCAA for that ref's head.

pxleyes

Banned
As a Florida fan, the game 'Nova played was great for us (except for the rob at the end). It proved we lost to a more than worthy team.

Eminem said:
Michigan State? :lol

You're right, Em... Michigan State beat Duke??! -- THAT'S UNPOSSIBLE

ralph1.JPG

J2 Cool

What a screwjob on Villanova, that's just devestating to the team I imagine. how could they do that? I'd have found a red flag and threw it as quick as I could if I were them. Anyway, my rankings (as far as impressive play, confidence, etc, etc.)

1. Louisville
2. Illinois
3. Arizona
4. West Virginia
5. UNC
6. MSU
7. Kentucky
8. Wisconsin

DJ_Tet

Banned
Tough loss for Duke fans, but we had a good season. We were the ACC Champs and kept the Sweet 16 streak alive. This ends a nice but nondescript career for Daniel Ewing. Like another poster above said, another shit game by Redick in the NCAA Tourny and another Williams foul-out.

We'll be back, Mich St deserved to win.

Fun fact for you superstitious people:

Since 1998, each team who beat Duke in the NCAA Tourny advanced until at least the Finals.

In 98, UK beat Duke in the Elite Eight and won the championship. In 99, Duke lost to UCONN in the Finals. In 2000, Duke lost to eventual runner-up Florida in the sweet 16. In 2001, Duke didn't lose. In 2002, Duke lost to eventual runner-up Indiana in the sweet 16. In 2003, Duke lost to eventual runner-up Kansas in the sweet 16 (blah blah blah heh), and last year Duke lost to eventual Champ UCONN in the Final Four.

Does this mean Mich State will at least make the Finals? We'll see I guess.

Big day today. We start slimming the ranks down to 4 baby.

Predictions:

ALBUQUERQUE REGIONAL
(7)West Virginia vs. (4)Louisville

CHICAGO REGIONAL
(3)Arizona vs. (1)Illinois

It pains me to pick Arizona over Illinois, but I think not being able to put Head on Stoudamire (hamstring) is going to be the slim difference in the game. Man, it's going to be such a game. HOPE THE REFS DON'T FUCK UP THIS ONE.

Nerevar said:
same shit, another year.

reddick chokes
Williams fouls out.
GG Duke.

it wouldn't be so bad if we lost while playing a team that was on fire (like Wake). We just played like shit.

Keep telling yourself that, man. Izzo and Company outplayed and outcoached Duke in every aspect of the game. They got their asses kicked last night.

Seth C

Mudwhistle said:
I'm not sure that WVU is the #5 team left.

Mudwhistle: He works just like his coach. The more he props them up now, the better it looks when they beat them. If they lose, well, he's already told you how good a team they were, so it must be true...right?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Mudwhistle said:
Keep telling yourself that, man. Izzo and Company outplayed and outcoached Duke in every aspect of the game. They got their asses kicked last night.

?

I said Duke played like shit, of course Michigan State "outplayed" them. And what was K supposed to do, magically add someone to his roster who could handle the ball and hit the open 3? Play down low at a decent level? Like I said, it was the same thing as last year - Williams fouls out and you're left with Shavlik Randolph down low. If you don't have Redick to hit the 3 to pick up for the lack of an inside game, we're fucked. There's a reason that this Duke team wasn't supposed to be good at the start of the year. Michigan State wasn't playing anywhere near the level that WVU was playing when they beat Wake - they took advantage of the Duke weaknesses (no good ball handlers, lack of an inside game outside of Shelden, overreliance on 1 shooter). Michigan State was, top to bottom, the better team, and they took advantage of us. I will be happy to "keep telling myself that."

Cubsfan23

Banned
Look at who WVU has beaten this year, and how hot they have been. Not to mention they are the only team that can shoot with us

bare with me, I've been in Cali all week.

I don't have much to add but that I'm shocked WVU had made it so far. I thought the Wake game would have been the end but they sure surprised me. The T-Tech game I was more sure of but I hear they almost lost it at the end.

so, I hope they win against Louisville but I'm not really holding my breath.

Go WVU!
wwh.gif

Cubsfan23 said:
Look at who WVU has beaten this year, and how hot they have been. Not to mention they are the only team that can shoot with us

Maybe so, but they're not the #5 team left in the tourney... and they're certainly not better than UK.

kgHavok23

Bowser said:
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3

You guys will probably think I'm biased, but that looks like a travel to me. Three steps without dribbling the ball.

Ya, I really wanted Nova in that game, but after watchin that replay durin the game I was in agreement that it was a travel. Nice job proving it...I guess....either way I'm surprised the refs were able to make that call, it was hard as hell to see.

I can't believe people still have Illinois ranked 4 in the Elite 8. No respect, sickens me. Ya'll can choke on ur balls when we take out Zona tonight.

Mrbob

Yeah as much as I want to pimp more Big 10 pride I think Arizona and Louisville will win today.

Wisconsin Milwaukee wore Illinois out a couple nights ago with their up and down tempo. Arizona is playing too well right now to lose.

pxleyes

Banned
Bowser said:
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3

You guys will probably think I'm biased, but that looks like a travel to me. Three steps without dribbling the ball.

It all comes down to where you determine his pivot foot to be. I've seen the replay multiple times, and I feeel his pivot foot was his right foot. Thus he only made one step and jumped. Bad call, especially to decide a game on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom