• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA men's basketball 2011-2012 OT: Lockout edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasted $400 to go to Newark for that game.

And then I got lost in the asscrack of Jersey on the drive home.

What a night.

I was on Maui, hammered, at the beach bar, watching the game. Same for the UNC game, used my phone right after the W and booked my tickets for Houston. I still remember Sullinger declaring he was coming back to win this year. I REALLY want to match up with OSU at some point, to beat them again, and see what Sullinger says then.

48-45 michigan is still up with 4 minutes left...I still stand by my 5 point OSU win call at 10 minutes left.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm sorry, but if as a player Valentine starting pulling that overdramatic dog shit, I'm taking the ball and firing it as his head. That shit pisses me off and I'm not even a partisan fan in this game.

This team has no offensive identity, it's so frustrating. You can tell we miss diebler badly. When the double comes down on sully last year we could kick it out for an easy 3. This year no one can hit a 3 with any consistency at all. This teams needs to figure something out and quick.

Pollux

This team has no offensive identity, it's so frustrating. You can tell we miss diebler badly. When the double comes down on sully last year we could kick it out for an easy 3. This year no one can hit a 3 with any consistency at all. This teams needs to figure something out and quick.

That at Sullinger is mildly over rated.

TheNatural

My Member!
OSU is not a perennial basketball powerhouse. And I doubt we ever will be.

I think the fact Michigan hates OSU and vice versa and Michigan also being down lately and OSU being top 5 recently is all it is. I hate the "Super Bowl" type comments because it's a bunch of BS put out to make it seem like your team is only getting the best of other teams and all they do is live to win that one game and that it's an honor to be even playing that team. It's all bullcrap. Fans and teams live to break down high ranked teams, and when you've been down a long time, it's a much, much bigger deal.

I don't think that's true. Since thads arrival he has turned us into a contender every year, and a force in the big 10.

He's been awesome. I don't want to sound overly critical or anything, because he's been an amazing coach.

But I don't think we've exactly set the world on fire, especially in the Big Dance.

That at Sullinger is mildly over rated.

I don't think so, but he is playing out of position. He is a power forward playing center. If we had a good or even playable center he would put up monster numbers, look at trob and ku.

This year he's getting doubled and sometimes tripled team every possession because no one else can hit shots.

Alright, so who are the 1 seeds now?

1-UK
2-Syracuse
3-Missouri/Kansas
4-Missouri/Kansas or UNC/Duke? or Michigan State...?

OSU still has to play at michigan state, so miich st will prolly win the Big10? regular? then again michigan has 4 low teams left...and if mich st loses could they win it?

sruckus

He's been awesome. I don't want to sound overly critical or anything, because he's been an amazing coach.

But I don't think we've exactly set the world on fire, especially in the Big Dance.

We're getting lots of prime time games, coverage on ESPN/CBS (I think it's like 5 games in a row on national tv). WSJ had an article last year also about OSU's rise.

I think it takes time, but it is certainly fristratijg we can't win the big ones when we need to. We were the best last year and couldn't do it. There's the 06 team as well. I don't know what it is.

We're getting lots of prime time games, coverage on ESPN/CBS (I think it's like 5 games in a row on national tv). WSJ had an article last year also about OSU's rise.

I think it takes time, but it is certainly fristratijg we can't win the big ones when we need to. We were the best last year and couldn't do it. There's the 06 team as well. I don't know what it is.

The biggest problem during Matta's tenure is the lack of leadership. When your best players are gone in 1-2 years, it's hard to build a corps of solid veterans.

That's why last year was our best chance. And we fucked it up.

Sigh.

Results for today:

#1 UK - Win against Ole Miss
#3 Missouri - Win against A&M (future SEC matchup!)
#5 Kansas - Win against Texas Tech
#6 OSU - Loss against #19 Michigan
#7 UNC - Win against Clemson
#9 Georgetown - Win against Providence
#10 Baylor - Loses to Kansas State.

#2 Syracuse, #4 Duke, and #8 Michigan State didn't play today.

So two decent 'upsets' really. + the Bracketbusters games! Good basketball day.

The biggest problem during Matta's tenure is the lack of leadership. When your best players are gone in 1-2 years, it's hard to build a corps of solid veterans.

That's why last year was our best chance. And we fucked it up.

Sigh.
Please see: UK and Coach Cal. We lost 5 guys to the NBA draft first round from an Elite 8 squad. The next year? Final Four! 4 guys go to the draft - 2 in the first round, 2 in the second. This year? We're one buzzer 3 loss by a point away from an undefeated season, with an average win margin of almost 20 points.

It's not hard to build a squad between returning kids and 1 and dones (see: Patterson, Liggins, Harrelson, Miller so far as veterans at UK over the last 3 years, + Jones/Lamb if you'd like. + we've got Wiljer staying, Harrow as a Jr. next year, Hood maybe playing...it is possible)

TheNatural

My Member!
The same old tired act from Notre Dame. Hey, I'm Joe Fuckwadd, #20 white boy out of Nowherestown, Bullshitville. Here let me throw some of my whiteness down on you and hit 6 threes all after running 25 seconds off the clock. Good day mate, I'll be back for my homecoming after a 3 year semi pro career in China followed by selling insurance back near my alma mater.

Just fucking go away Notre Dame. FUCK.

EDIT: And they pull another out of their ass. ND is quickly becoming the most annoying team in basketball.

Please see: UK and Coach Cal. We lost 5 guys to the NBA draft first round from an Elite 8 squad. The next year? Final Four! 4 guys go to the draft - 2 in the first round, 2 in the second. This year? We're one buzzer 3 loss by a point away from an undefeated season, with an average win margin of almost 20 points.

It's not hard to build a squad between returning kids and 1 and dones (see: Patterson, Liggins, Harrelson, Miller so far as veterans at UK over the last 3 years, + Jones/Lamb if you'd like. + we've got Wiljer staying, Harrow as a Jr. next year, Hood maybe playing...it is possible)

We're not Kentucky.

Matta does a great job reloading his squads with new recruits, but we can't match the sheer numbers of a school like UK.

In football? Abso-fucking-lutely. In basketball? Not yet.

GAF march madness I'm assuming will be started the weekend of conference tourney's? or when the bracket first hits. either way, I placed my bet at the MGM Grand sports book back on November 3rd - UK to win it all - $250, 4:1 odds, so I'll make $1000 when we cut the nets down.

GL on that bet

TheNatural

My Member!
Also, not saying any UK fans here are like this, but Louisville won a game at DePaul today. West Louisville, made up of mostly African Americans, send a shitload of buses to Chicago each time we play there and it's by far our biggest regular season road contingent.

A nice little thread of thinly veiled racist comments then appears on the finest message board in all the land, The Cats Pause:

"It looks like Ghetto day at that arena."

"Free Crown Royal and King Cobra 40s"

"Was that the girl that played in the movie Precious?"

"Because they couldn't pay for gas with their food stamps."

"Read a CNN report a while back that Chicago has more crack dealers per capita than any other city in the country...

You do the math.

Louisville PD should have drug dogs waiting at the border... could probably fill their arrest quota for the month."

"The truth is there were 3 buses filled with welfare collectors and uavel paid them to go..There ain't 60 busses of Lil Brudder fans in the whole world...What a farce.."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=170803662&mid=170803662&sid=888&style=2

And if people ever ask why I despise almost every UK fan, there's your answer. I really do hope one of these individuals tries to say something to me when in Louisville clothes come NCAA Tourney time and they're playing up here, they'll be dropped on their ass real quick. Racist mother fuckers.

I'm in a Facebook argument with Michigan people on Facebook (they're law school friends of my college roommate). They're now bragging that they're better than us in both football and basketball (though they seem to have forgotten the first basketball matchup in C-Bus).

Michigan fan: As Wisconsin showed Mich. St., the last game counts more. But don't worry. Ohio still has... those tattoos, and those last forever!

Me: Tattoos do indeed last forever. Ed Martin's $600,000, however, did not.

We're not Kentucky.

Matta does a great job reloading his squads with new recruits, but we can't match the sheer numbers of a school like UK.

true. then again, UK doesn't play football.

GL on that bet
I was confident before we played our first game, I'm still confident now.

Also, not saying any UK fans here are like this, but Louisville won a game at DePaul today. West Louisville, made up of mostly African Americans, send a shitload of buses to Chicago each time we play there and it's by far our biggest regular season road contingent.

A nice little thread of thinly veiled racist comments then appears on the finest message board in all the land, The Cats Pause:
*snip*
And if people ever ask why I despise almost every UK fan, there's your answer. I really do hope one of these individuals tries to say something to me when in Louisville clothes come NCAA Tourney time and they're playing up here, they'll be dropped on their ass real quick. Racist mother fuckers.

you despise almost every UK fan because a few on a message board post racist shit, out of what is acknowledged as the largest college basketball fanbase in the nation? Hell, I despise those guys too, but to indict "almost every UK fan"...

TheNatural

My Member!
true. then again, UK doesn't play football.

I was confident before we played our first game, I'm still confident now.

you despise almost every UK fan because a few on a message board post racist shit, out of what is acknowledged as the largest college basketball fanbase in the nation? Hell, I despise those guys too, but to indict "almost every UK fan"...

I didn't say anything about the people in this thread, but yeah, there's a large percentage of these people out there. It's not like it's 1% or anything. Especially not on TCP.

We're not Kentucky.

Well, UK hasn't won diddly poo in a decade+ either.

Apart from UNC, Duke, and Kansas, nobody in CBB is continuously up top. The best you can hope for is to contend for your conference championship every year, make the S16 pretty much every year, and make an occasional run to the final four.

I'd have to double check, but I think OSU under Matta satisfies that profile. I'll tell you this: I wish the Illini had hired him when we had the chance.

At this point, I'm just hoping this team catches fire by the B1G tournament and makes a solid run in the Dance.

I don't see it happening, but anything is possible.

Well, UK hasn't won diddly poo in a decade+ either.

Apart from UNC, Duke, and Kansas, nobody in CBB is continuously up top. The best you can hope for is to contend for your conference championship every year, make the S16 pretty much every year, and make an occasional run to the final four.

I'd have to double check, but I think OSU under Matta satisfies that profile. I'll tell you this: I wish the Illini had hired him when we had the chance.

I just want to be consistently good in the Dance. We've been a dominant team in the conference during the regular season for much of Matta's tenure, but we still can't match Izzo in the tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom