• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCL suspends image sharing in Swap Note and Flipnote [Spot pass Notes disabled]

Are you certain? It seems equally plausible to me that parents have been complaining and Nintendo has been investigating. The fact that this came about shortly after Pokémon's release, itself plausibly the cause of the upsurge in friending, lends credence to this IMO.

Of course, this also comes shortly after the lar financial report. So I suspect that Nintendo is playing in defensive in all fronts it can.

I'm pretty sure adults aren't their core fanbase. Someone please feel free to show me charts indicating the opposite though.

thinking more of the teens to college age.

really curious how well 3ds is doing for actual kiddies. Don't they all rather play candy crush and angry bunnies?

Lunar15

So wait, you guys are telling me that an account system would have been better at preventing this issue than friend codes? Even though friend codes were made specifically for protecting children!?

Impossible.

Parental Controls sadly don't make a difference in this case since most parents are either too lazy or not tech savvy enough to actually look into the shit they buy for their kids.

Miiverse is not a substitute for SwapNote. They are completely different.

They do need to pull their finger out with Miiverse though, it was rumoured to be coming in October. And Miiverse would allow us contact with our 3DS friends that is otherwise impossible now, where it wasn't yesterday.

If I was banned because I sent a dick pic I would be pretty pissed. We all need to be reminded that we can only send stuff to people who have added us. This is the very purpose of the friend codes existence: people having me as a friend know me and know what to expect. If one dislike my messages they can just remove me from their friend list and I won't be able to send them anything.

This is clearly not a case of harassement, as it could be dealt with very simply with the friend codes. No, this is a case of Nintendo stepping in personal correspondence, where people (minors or not, it doesn't matter) enjoy sending and receiving stuff. Nintendo doesn't like what is being exchanged, so Nintendo shut off the service (or ban people, same thing) regardless of the obvious agreement between the two parties.

There are parental restrictions that can be activated on the console, parents should monitor the online activity of their kids regardless, kids should be taught not to add friend codes from the internet or face the dicks consequences. If anything another friend code system could be devised, where codes exchanged over the internet have limited communication capabilities in contrast to code exchanged over local wireless having full communication capabilities.

But switching off the service because people sent stuff Nintendo doesn't like? This is clear admission that Nintendo has been reading personal correspondence under the greatest guise of "protecting the children". I don't like it one bit.

You should see what Angela Merkel sends on SwapNote.

I don't have a 3DS yet :( getting one by BF; but this seriously is a knock against my decision. The community being directly connected through the system instead of forums/websites... made it incredibly appealing. The posts here and elsewhere showing off the fun uses of Swapnote made me jealous/excited to finally jump in and join the group but knowing the community that has grown up around the service has been silenced is pushing me back from picking up a 3DS.

Wasn't there some online viewer that was (going to be) integrated with Swapnote?

Khaz

Are you certain? It seems equally plausible to me that parents have been complaining and Nintendo has been investigating. The fact that this came about shortly after Pokémon's release, itself plausibly the cause of the upsurge in friending, lends credence to this IMO.

No. I actually think Iwata Junior was exchanging friend codes over a Pokemon forum and one of them friends sent a lewd pic. Junior shown daddy the penis asking what it was, Iwata got mad and switch off the service.

If it was random parents complaining to the hotline, the standard book response would have been "don't add people from the internet, delete the one you deem offensive", outraged parents would have been interviewed in the Daily Mail, Kotaku etc. It takes a high authority madness to switch off an entire service like this all of a suden without common early signs such as outcries in the media.

You should see what Angela Merkel sends on SwapNote.

oh lol, ok you got me :D

I don't have a 3DS yet :( getting one by BF; but this seriously is a knock against my decision. The community being directly connected through the system instead of forums/websites... made it incredibly appealing. The posts here and elsewhere showing off the fun uses of Swapnote made me jealous/excited to finally jump in and join the group but knowing the community that has grown up around the service has been silenced is pushing me back from picking up a 3DS.

Wasn't there some online viewer that was (going to be) integrated with Swapnote?

I vaguely remember something about an online viewer, probably went into the trash with Miiverse, especially now.

It was a really fun thing to be a part of, my blue light never switched off in the run up to Animal Crossing, we had some crazy Swapnotes back then.

There is now an application on millions of 3DSs thats sole use is to remind us how crap Nintendo's online strategy is, and how backward their logic has been on the issue.

zigg

So wait, you guys are telling me that an account system would have been better at preventing this issue than friend codes?
If anyone is telling you that, they are an idiot.

No. I actually think Iwata Junior was exchanging friend codes over a Pokemon forum and one of them friends sent a lewd pic. Junior shown daddy the penis asking what it was, Iwata got mad and switch off the service.

If it was random parents complaining to the hotline, the standard book response would have been "don't add people from the internet, delete the one you deem offensive", outraged parents would have been interviewed in the Daily Mail, Kotaku etc. It takes a high authority madness to switch off an entire service like this all of a suden without common early signs such as outcries in the media.
You're assuming an awful lot. But as both of us are speculating, shrug. Your theory sounds pretty dramatically conspiracist to me, but whatever.

but there are parental controls.its not nintendo's responsibility that your kid is chatting up with strangers on 4chan eager to send dick pics.

I'm thinking Nintendo has ran into this before and lost - otherwise I'm sure there's no reason for isolated incidents like this.

OR, they don't want to soil their image as a family friendly brand.

zigg

Or maybe because the ones who do are good parents, and know how to take care of their kids?
I do know how to take care of my kids. I know where the switch is, set it, carefully considered unsetting it, and would set it again if there was trouble. But I also know there's a huge mob of uninformed parents (cf. the recurring tale of a single-digit-aged kid getting GTA V) out there, and they are capable of nothing else if not high indignation.

I'm thinking Nintendo has ran into this before and lost - otherwise I'm sure there's no reason for isolated incidents like this.
They have, in the court of public opinion. Many examples have been posted to GAF. Clueless parents think Nintendo = safe and when they find out otherwise, whoo boy.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I do know how to take care of my kids. I know where the switch is, set it, carefully considered unsetting it, and would set it again if there was trouble. But I also know there's a huge mob of uninformed parents (cf. the recurring tale of a single-digit-aged kid getting GTA V) out there, and they are capable of nothing else if not high indignation.
That's good. Once their kid sees a pic of a dick, maybe they'll learn to inform themselves better. Or at least start giving a damn about what their kids do on the internet and with their consoles.

Ignorance is not a valid excuse, in my opinion. Not caring enough to learn is even worse.

zigg

Ignorance is not a valid excuse, in my opinion. Not caring enough to learn is even worse.
I don't think it is either. It means I have to say "no" a lot, sometimes just because I don't know, but I figure that's my job, to make sure my kids have no fun whatsoever. ;) I wish that standard was shared.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it is either. It means I have to say "no" a lot, sometimes just because I don't know, but I figure that's my job, to make sure my kids have no fun whatsoever. ;) I wish that standard was shared.
You sound like a great parent, and I wish everyone shared that way of thinking too. I can imagine raising kids must be really really hard, but you (not you personally!) can't let everyone else (be it companies, TV, games or whatever) raise them for you. It's your job as a parent (again, not directed to you!)

I don't understand the logic here. This is nothing alike... have you even used Swapnote?

I have used Swapnote. Yes, you can draw and add backgrounds and send photos.

I was speaking specifically as a means fo sending messages and photos. Swapnote was neat little gimmick to have as a bullet point, but it wasn't great by any means.

Obviously, this is my own subjective experience with it.

Miiverse can handle all the swapnote features that can't be replicated on most phones, so when it rolls out all should be fine.

The grainy low res 3DS photos were interesting for about 5 minutes when the 3DS released... but a quality cell phone in 2D will trump it every time.

They should add the cool features from Swapnote to Miiverse and move one... other than the photo sharing part, obviously.

Khaz

You're assuming an awful lot. But as both of us are speculating, shrug. Your theory sounds pretty dramatically conspiracist to me, but whatever.

Yes I am wildly speculating, and I have nothing to back my claims. But this sudden shutdown is sudden, you'd think if the problem was as widespread as they say we would have heard about it?

There's only two way they could have heard about this problem: complaints or network monitoring. The former should be dealt with friend code management, the latter shouldn't even exist with personal correspondence upon initial agreement (aka friend codes). Neither should cause the whole service to be permanently shutdown: this is a massive overreaction.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Now if only they implemented an account system so they could easily track and ban/take appropriate actions against offenders.

OryoN

I understand Nintendo's position and fear here. They receive damaging exposure(and threats of legal action) for things like this. It's very easy to downplay their worries, especially as a company that thrives on a reputation of being a 'kid-friendly' company.

However, I don't think this is the correct response. Once you set a precedent for accepting responsibility for these things, where does it end? When will adults and responsible users ever NOT be punished for the actions of (a few?) minors? Should users always expect limited communication services on Nintendo devices, due to the company's fears? When does it fall on the parents to take proper responsibility for their children?

That said, suspending the service could have been simply to allow Nintendo some time to make both software changes, and changes to the terms of service/user agreement that could better protect themselves, as a company, against any situation that could relate to the misuse of software like swapnote. I'd be very surprised if it's not back up by early January, the latest.

Until swap note is removed from the eshop I wouldn't worry too much. Swap note has been a big hit for them, they'll surely make some changes and bring it back online.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I believe that very soon now, the Wii U NNID system will come to 3DS. This will mean that Nintendo can easily ban users that abuse the system.

Pajamas

Honestly, it makes me worry that Miiverse won't come to the 3DS after all. If they were going to stop the Swapnote service, they'd have done it after Miiverse integration. Now this has them spooked. Also, Swapnote is an optional download whereas the Miiverse would be built into the OS from the get go. I'm probably wrong, but Nintendo does a good job of dashing my hopes quite often.

LordJim

but there are parental controls.its not nintendo's responsibility that your kid is chatting up with strangers on 4chan eager to send dick pics.

4chan is as hurt as everyone else

PE0Y67n.png

Thorakai

I don't understand how a global company can't figure out a solution to a problem that doesn't require a complete shutdown.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Goodnight sweet prince.

Here's some of my cool stuff SwapNoteGAF enjoyed. Sorry they were so vulgar and crude.

4Jznr0Y.png

RXMjEYw.png

bfR6AR9.jpg

Maybe we could start a VineSwapNoteGAF where we post Vines of our stuff.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Aww, that sucks. I will miss all the stupid crap my friends send me.

Granted, I know these guys and gals IRL and we will see each other in Comikaze Expo and Pacific Media Expo this week and next week. Still, such a stupid and rash decision.

Ninty, if you had an account system and a reward/punishment system to report the stupid people, this wouldn't be an issue. Nobody likes having a banned account and system :)

Vibranium

Banned
This is BS. I only used Swapnote sometimes but it's terrible when bad apples ruin it for everyone else. Nintendo should have had a system to counter offensive material in the first place though. With any luck it will return when Miiverse and the account system finally hit.

And poor Nikki has been locked up in The Regginator's cage where he keeps all the content we can never have due to Iwata.

Tybolt

Banned
#SaveSwapnote!

It would be amazing to see some real backlash against Nintendo for this. I like to think us 90s kids had enough of their psuedoparenting when they were ripping anything with religious symbolism and censoring the hell out of anything they could back in the olden days of 16-bit, this is going way too far even by their hamfisted standards.

I know people keep posting that karaoke thing like it's some sort of double standard by Nintendo, but there is a HUUUUUGE difference between the lyrics to a popular song and a person finding kids, befriending them online, and sending them secret dick pics.

Tybolt

Banned
Am I the only one who found it a little odd that Swapnote secretly had a kill switch in it all along just for this purpose? I expected notes to just not send anymore, not to get the whole "it's over, sorry" prompt as soon as I opened it up.

I guess I shouldn't really be surprised given Nintendo's aim to do the bare minimum with online services (remember that Animal Crossing Plaza is only for a year and the numbered days for the Pokemon Global Link!) but I'm surprised nonetheless.

SuperSah

Banned
Am I the only one who found it a little odd that Swapnote secretly had a kill switch in it all along just for this purpose? I expected notes to just not send anymore, not to get the whole "it's over, sorry" prompt as soon as I opened it up.

I guess I shouldn't really be surprised given Nintendo's aim to do the bare minimum with online services (remember that Animal Crossing Plaza is only for a year and the numbered days for the Pokemon Global Link!) but I'm surprised nonetheless.

Yup, I found it odd that it already had "Service is over" messages built in and greyed out options.

It sounds as if they had intention to kill it eventually.

More likely, Miiverse is almost here. If they cancel Miiverse of this, i'm going to be so pissed off.

Aiustis

Awwws. I do have one minor in my friends list who said he had a problem with someone sending inappropriate stuff to him.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Goodnight sweet prince.

Here's some of my cool stuff SwapNoteGAF enjoyed. Sorry they were so vulgar and crude.

Maybe we could start a VineSwapNoteGAF where we post Vines of our stuff.
I loved seeing your drawings, even though we only added each other recently. Those cart pics (the blue ones) were awesome and made me laugh.

Man, I'm gonna miss that. Sad day indeed :(

ffdgh

I may have never used it after having too much unread messages add up but they couldn't find an alternative than outright killing it? a shame...

Top Bottom