• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed (2015) - New gameplay, Customization & Tuning

Because you need a monster rig to keep 60,fps at 1080p at all times. My pc can't do it with an i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz and a GTX 970.

When I had a GTX780 - which is slightly weaker than a 970 - I could max it at 1080p and constantly get 60FPS. Haven't tested it on my new GPU but I assume it can only be better.

September, we lay all the customization on the table for all to see.

Why not say it now? Cant be that hard to answer this simple question. Im waiting for Neon stuff too. Was a big part for me in Underground.

And can you guys please replace that Burnout like movement and handling? If i want to play a Burnout i will play Burnout.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It would indeed, and most importantly there is no reason whatsoever that it should be artificially locked at 30fps.

Rivals could be unlocked and it plays great, no technical issues or graphical corruptions of any sort from my experience, but 60fps has to be sustained 100% of the time.

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60.0

Ergo is begs the question : why was it locked at 30fps in the first place ? I played 22 hours of Rivals at 60fps without issues.

For an always online connected game, having to guarantee 60fps at all times is a hard bargain, especially for a demanding game.

Frame drops means slow down means desyncs. Personally, I think the solution is to allow arbitrary framerates and don't force always online, but I understand the rational behind their decisions. I hope they don't make that same decision this time though, because not being able to hit 60fps in a racer like this would be an absolute shame.

Why not say it now? Cant be that hard to answer this simple question. Im waiting for Neon stuff too. Was a big part for me in Underground.

Dude, it's not up to him. He works for Ghost Games/EA. They have a PR plan that he has to stick to. I mean, it would be cool if he could tell us the plans, but doing so could get him fired. No need to push him on it.

hawk2025

For an always online connected game, having to guarantee 60fps at all times is a hard bargain, especially for a demanding game.

Frame drops means slow down means desyncs. Personally, I think the solution is to allow arbitrary framerates and don't force always online, but I understand the rational behind their decisions. I hope they don't make that same decision this time though, because not being able to hit 60fps in a racer like this would be an absolute shame.

Dude, it's not up to him. He works for Ghost Games/EA. They have a PR plan that he has to stick to. I mean, it would be cool if he could tell us the plans, but doing so could get him fired. No need to push him on it.

I don't see why?

There are hundreds, thousands of online games with unlocked framerates.

KRaZyAmmo

I agree with everyone saying having online only just because of the social media doesn't justify to have always online. Forza Horizon 2 did it and you don't need always online for that game.

0racle

It seems like its been downgraded judging from the videos....im not nearly impressed as I once was....and this was THE game for me at E3 graphics wise

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't see why?

There are hundreds, thousands of online games with unlocked framerates.

Yes absolutely, but Rivals was not one of them. For one reason or another, Rivals framerate was tied to its gamespeed. For one reason or another, Rivals was also always online. Because of the combination of those two, trying to push 60 as the standard would have likely compromised the online. They had a higher emphasis on online play than 60fps gameplay.

You can disagree with any of their decisions along the way (I disagree with a lot of them) but the rationale can be followed from A to B to C.

Skii

The game is still in development, once we've got things locked down we'll let you know.

Surely having the game perform as well as possible on PC is one of the main things you lock down before you even start development?

It's not like you're working on a fixed platform like Xbox One/PS4. Very discouraging answer.

I'm just hoping this is PR talk.

Buburibon

It must be a CPU thing, then. What were you running?

Yes, it's the 2500K that can't handle it. The 970 is more than fine at even 1440p. In my experience, only overclocked 6/8-core Intel processors can deliver 60fps guaranteed 100% of the time in NFS: Rivals.

I completely agree. It would be a shame to have to pass on this game because of a 30fps lock. Here's hoping everything will work out in mostly everyone's favor once the game is released.

It seems like its been downgraded judging from the videos....im not nearly impressed as I once was....and this was THE game for me at E3 graphics wise

Didn't the developer from Ghost Games mention somewhere here that the current build at their office looks more finer and richer than the old E3 build that you're looking in those gameplay videos?

I know it shouldn't but seeing/hearing "NOS" as a generic descriptor for nitro/nitrous/nitrous oxide irritates me. It's been like 14 years since the first Fast and the Furious movie and I can't let it go.

DirtyLarry

I am a sucker for more arcadey racers.
And this looks amazing visually.
All night time is fine with me.
Always online is also fine with me.
Bring this fucking game on. I am down.

Bodom78

Looks OK so far but always night could be a problem for me after playing Horizon 2 which has awesome day night cycles.

Always online seems so unnecessary and will just hamper the experience when your internet or their servers are having issues.

Will continue to follow with interest but it seems some bad decisions may bring the game down a bit.

drotahorror

Don't care about always night but if it's always city, then I'm out on this one. Cities are just boring, there's no variety to be had.

Peterthumpa

I may be biased but yes, the latest builds do really look spectacular. Big improvement to the graphics, especially the lighting. Team have done a great job on it. Looking forward to showing it off in coming weeks.

Hey Ben, glad about your willingness in answering the questions here.

A small one - why no pedestrians? Sometimes I think that this is the kind of detail lacking in so many racing games and that when correctly implemented (like Driver San Francisco) adds depth to the experience.

Is it related to some rating issue? Taking D: SF as an example again, NPCs are very smart to get out of the way of the cars, so maybe some implementation like that? Besides, night racing is an advantage as there's less people around, meaning less impact on your render time?

Game is looking absolutely stunning, keep up the awesome work.

benzy

We've got a good balanced list, more to come on that through September.

One button press and it's gone, it's just another camera angle.

E3 build, so relatively old now - at least in dev terms.

I may be biased but yes, the latest builds do really look spectacular. Big improvement to the graphics, especially the lighting. Team have done a great job on it. Looking forward to showing it off in coming weeks.

Is there a reason for no cock-pit view?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Game looks sick. Just texted my friend about how this looks like we're going back to the Underground glory days. He's gonna be so pumped.

Because you need a monster rig to keep 60,fps at 1080p at all times. My pc can't do it with an i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz and a GTX 970.

What?
On my pc rivals never drops from locked vsynced 60 fps at 2715*1527 (downsampling with DSR)
i5 4690k @4ghz and stock clocked gtx 970.

In the races with a bunch of racer cars and cops chasing it still stays locked at 60...
I think I've seen like half a second of framedrop down to 50 or so in 6 hours of playing.
Of all the games I have played so far on my new pc, this and PvZ garden warfare are the only 'modern' (not gona count counter strike go) games that never drop below 60 fps for me (PVZ garden warfare doesn't drop below 100 fps heavily downsampled ), both use frostbite.
I'm really impressed by how smooth and consistent rivals is compared to the most wanted reboot which was a frameskipping abomination.

You know what games do drop under 60 fps ALL the time , even at 1080p?
GTA5
AC unity
project cars
witcher 3

I guess those didn't need to support 60, 75, 85, 120 and 144hz refresh rates then... what a rubbish rubbish argument

So the game play videos clearly show the guy playing cycling through a few view points and I saw a hood cam and a front bumper cam. A concern of mine has been relieved.

willbsn13

Is it always raining?

This x2. Every video i've seen its been constantly raining (mind you I haven't seen a lot of this game). Love the look of the customization in this game - its amazing. Problem though, is the 'tap to drift' criterion handling back? cause if so, thats a major disappointment for me atleast - and gameplay wise it looks as if it is returning.

nib95

Banned
Not been listed in the OP so here's my first NFS video of the latest selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dev4s0IGb-g

Looking forward to testing later builds and delving more into the customisation.

Your videos are the best dude. Big fan. I have a similar race style or preference to you, so it was interesting hearing your take on the points benefits of drifting.

I was holding off on getting the game due to it not having day time racing, and being always online, but that decision is getting harder to follow through with. Really liking what I'm seeing. The handling, the insane visuals, amazing atmosphere, huge amount of cosmetic upgrade options, the handling tweaks, size of the city, characters and narrative elements and so on and so on. Will wait for reviews I guess, but it's getting increasingly difficult for me not to consider a purchase lol.

LCGeek

formerly sane

It's pretty pathetic even if you turn down settings on a 4790k at 4.6 with the same card game will not hold in certain places or situations. The game at 60fps when it works is quite a gem.

I really want this to be good but NFS games are so hit and miss that I'm never optimistic about them. My view of the past few years of NFS games:

Carbon (Great game, completed it on Wii)
Pro Street (Dreadful PC version, had more fun with it on Wii)
Undercover (No need to use the brakes in this game, WTF?)
Shift (Good but not perfect)
Nitro (Good but very basic)
Hot Pursuit (Excellent)
Shift 2 (Better than the first Shift but still not quite great)
The Run (OK I suppose)
Most Wanted (Meh)
Rivals (Meh again)

Bedlam

Fuck the always-online bullshit and especially fuck their laughable justification (attempt) for the always online-bullshit. Not buying and I will spread the words among my friends as much as I can.

I think this is not bad thing. I am always online anyway.
It's absolutely a bad thing because the game forces you to be online for some social crap even though that could easily be optional.

as long as it's just autolog and not always on multiplayer i'm fine with it.. multiplayer should be optional. NFS for me is about the single player experience.
SP is confirmed always-online, too.

Denton

Is there no day racing in this? I saw screens here on gaf comparing it to real photos that took place during daytime.
I hate night-time only games. And no cockpit view either ? Well fuck that. I will be getting Crew in november instead.

Ghost_Ben

Ghost Games
Don't care about always night but if it's always city, then I'm out on this one. Cities are just boring, there's no variety to be had.

Downtown is just one area. There's a number of different areas, including canyon roads.

So the game play videos clearly show the guy playing cycling through a few view points and I saw a hood cam and a front bumper cam. A concern of mine has been relieved.

Yes, bumper and hood are both in.

This is the exact same build we used / showed at E3, your eyes are playing tricks on you :)

Is there no day racing in this? I saw screens here on gaf comparing it to real photos that took place during daytime.
I hate night-time only games. And no cockpit view either ? Well fuck that. I will be getting Crew in november instead.
No day time, no cockpit view; that is correct.

Ghost_Ben

Ghost Games
Looks pretty cool, but all the night time only footage is bugging me. I think it really needs daylight conditions as well, for added diversity.

We have multiple stages of night, it's not just 'dark'. Time ranges from dusk till dawn, various levels of brightness / darkness.

This is one of my most anticipated games. This gen is really delivering in terms of fan service. So much stuff from when I was a kid is coming back in full force. I think the game looks stunning. My only complaint so far is that the areas shown seem a little dead. I hope there's other parts of the city with a lot of neon signs, billboards, and colored lights that capture that more night-life vibe.

Top Bottom