• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed (2015) - New gameplay, Customization & Tuning

saladine1

Can't wait for dis tO dRop yo!

But seriously, it's been a long time coming since Underground.

Hopefully, the performance customization is on par with the visual customization.

I don't understand the "only night time?" complaints. The game's clearly reaching for a specific atmosphere, aesthetic, and culture. Midday races just don't make sense here. Looks great to me, though I'm biased because nighttime urban environments always look great to me. That streetlight glow <3

nib95

Banned
I don't understand the "only night time?" complaints. The game's clearly reaching for a specific atmosphere, aesthetic, and culture. Midday races just don't make sense here. Looks great to me, though I'm biased because nighttime urban environments always look great to me. That orange glow <3

Because I like diversity and changes in atmosphere? Sunny conditions, sunsets, sunrises etc, these all add their own unique flavour and atmosphere, and add to that they completely change the look of environments, which in itself changes up gameplay (altering one's perception of the tracks).

So no real daylight? What was the point of that real-life/game-comparison shot then?

That was basically concept art to test out the engine. It even said "building the artwork" over the pictures in the article.

"When we know what we want to build we start looking into how we want to build it. The first step is a process called Look Development, where we start prototyping the new feature sets that we want to include. That’s the dust, dirt and damage layering, how we add rain to the cars and even down to the details of what colour and material values should be applied to each part. The image above shows some of our reference photos coupled together with the same scene recreated in the game render engine. I think you’ll agree that we’re pretty close to matching reality – see if you can spot the difference in Presentation Mode."

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/07/creating-the-cars-of-need-for-speed/

zugzug

Listen tell your Producer to set aside some time to actually get borderless windows set and strong in the client. Its really important. Need for speed Most wanted 2012 was terrible in that regard.

All i'm saying it just have you client people nail and lock down a good Borderless windows setting. That does not make the game shit the bed, go wonky and make your computer freeze while it figures out what is happening.

I tried to ask you guys this on twitter and the response was like I'm actually for secret info into your game.

Just make the game client support Borderless windows well. I cannot stress the importance of this.

Because I like diversity and changes in atmosphere? Sunny conditions, sunsets, sunrises etc, these all add their own unique flavour and atmosphere, and add to that, they completely change the look of environments, and with it change up gameplay (perception of tracks).

You're free to pick up Driveclub, and Project Cars, and Forza, and GT, and the last few NFS titles, and they'll all provide you with wonderful 24h day/night cycles and/or daytime racing to your heart's content. None of those games are proper tuner culture nightlife racers though, which is what NFS 2015 looks to be attempting here. Every time there was a new NFS announced in recent years, there's been an almost unanimous "What about Underground though?" Now we're getting a new Underground. I like the idea of them embracing being the nighttime street racer game with a unified tone. Look up videos for the inspiration behind this game and 9 times out of 10 it's nighttime footage.

nib95

Banned
You're free to pick up Driveclub, and Project Cars, and Forza, and GT, and the last few NFS titles, and they'll all provide you with wonderful 24h day/night cycles and/or daytime racing to your heart's content. None of those games are proper tuner culture nightlife racers though, which is what NFS 2015 looks to attempting here. Every time there was a new NFS announced in recent years, there's been an almost unanimous "What about Underground though?" Now we're getting a new Underground. I like the idea of them embracing being the nighttime street racer game with a unified tone. Look up videos for the inspiration behind this game and 9 times out of 10 it's nighttime footage.

Fair enough to the latter, boo to recommending I just buy another game.

Even if they offered day time racing, or just driving, to a limited scope, maybe just driving to and from different garages, or to meet different characters or something, It'd still make a big difference to me. Ultimately I just want to experience the city and the vehicles, in alternative lighting conditions, with a different type of atmosphere and mood, to break away from the aesthetic monotony. The majority of real street racing may take place at night, but some of it doesn't, and ultimately these vehicles can and often are better appreciated in the day. Locking in to just night time seems more like a technical and resource/time saving decision than a gameplay one. Rarely, if ever have dynamic lighting conditions and more diverse content ever hurt a racing game.

Gaz_RB

the game has only nighttime because story runs in one night. simply. (official)

That's kind of cool actually.

Even if they offered day time racing, or just driving, to a limited scope, maybe just driving to and from different garages, or to meet different characters or something, It'd still make a big difference to me. Ultimately I just want to experience the city and the vehicles, in alternative lighting conditions, with a different type of atmosphere and mood, to break away from the aesthetic monotony. The majority of real street racing may take place at night, but some of it doesn't, and ultimately these vehicles can and often are better appreciated in the day. Locking in to just night time seems more like a technical and resource/time saving decision than a gameplay one. Rarely, if ever have dynamic lighting conditions and more diverse content ever hurt a racing game.

Yeah definitely a question of "do we want to release this game in 2015 or holiday 2016?"

It looks just like Rivals' online component, at least there's supposedly dedicated servers this time but can't wait to read about the server problems.

please make NOS much more visible when used

86reUM7.gif

nib95

Banned
the game has only nighttime because story runs in one night. simply. (official)

Are you sure? So you do several hours worth of racing, drifting etc, changing, tuning, unlocking or buying a multitude of different cars, racking up more and more money, meeting a range of different tentpole characters, exploring a city twice the size of the one featured in Rivals, and all the rest, all over a single night?

T.O.P

Banned
Are you sure? So you do several hours worth of racing, drifting etc, changing, tuning, unlocking or buying a multitude of different cars, racking up more and more money, meeting a range of different tentpole characters, exploring a city twice the size of the one featured in Rivals, and all the rest, all over a single night?

One night in Batman AK lasted 21 hours for me

Videogames how do they work

I'm not trying to shut down your argument or anything, all I'm saying is that at some point you have to recognize that a game (or a design design in said game) may not be for you and consider that there are alternatives.

Until I read differently, I'd like to think containing it to dusk --> dawn hours is a tonal and aesthetic decision, especially considering this is a team that has already handled day/night cycles. I understand wanting more variety, but I think having a unified atmosphere and really delving into the culture is more important, especially when there are other games doing what you want, and this one stands out more being THE nighttime tuner racing game. This all comes back to the age old "What you call monotony I call cohesion" discussion. Everything about the decision to focus on tuners and nighttime visuals speaks to me. Who knows if it'll be a good game, but I'm happy they made the choice they did.

Because I like diversity and changes in atmosphere? Sunny conditions, sunsets, sunrises etc, these all add their own unique flavour and atmosphere, and add to that they completely change the look of environments, which in itself changes up gameplay (altering one's perception of the tracks).

The authentic street racing culture they are going for don't really come out to play during daytime. Besides, less traffic to worry about the middle of the night as well.

Also we've had daytime only NFS for nearly 7 years now, its time for a change.

Best wishes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it weird that I bought EA access not for the games in the vault, but as a prefilter to help me avoid buyers remorse after getting bitten on rivals? Going to use it to try this out on Xbox before deciding whether I like the handling and whether the constant night annoys me. If I like it, I'll buy on PC if it works properly on 21:9 monitors or possibly PS4 if not. Likewise with FIFA 16.

I understand your frustration, but sometimes we have to accept that a new and upcoming game in a series is just not meant for us. Just like I have to accept that Final Fantasy XV isn't for me, because I don't like that kind of battle system. It's very frustrating, but there's nothing I can do, since it' she direction they want to take the game in. Maybe next time.

Kezen

Banned
For an always online connected game, having to guarantee 60fps at all times is a hard bargain, especially for a demanding game.

Frame drops means slow down means desyncs. Personally, I think the solution is to allow arbitrary framerates and don't force always online, but I understand the rational behind their decisions. I hope they don't make that same decision this time though, because not being able to hit 60fps in a racer like this would be an absolute shame.

Dude, it's not up to him. He works for Ghost Games/EA. They have a PR plan that he has to stick to. I mean, it would be cool if he could tell us the plans, but doing so could get him fired. No need to push him on it.

There are plenty of online only games supporting 60fps at least. Don't overlook the fact that the game could be played at 60fps with a simple command line. MMOs as far as I know can be played at 60fps or more, same goes for MP only games.

No excuses for NFS 2015 not to support 60fps on PC.

30fps PC only or have I got it wrong?
Not yet confirmed.

Will there be a demo on PSN?

I honestly think that demos completely died with the start of this generation.

We're almost 2 years into the generation and my PSN Store has 19 demos. 4 of them are Lego games, 3 of them are sports games, 1 is PS+ exclusive (Thief) and the rest is pretty random. Destiny is the only AAA game with a demo on my store.

It would really surprise me if EA comes out with a demo for this game.

I honestly think that demos completely died with the start of this generation.

We're almost 2 years into the generation and my PSN Store has 19 demos. 4 of them are Lego games, 3 of them are sports games, 1 is PS+ exclusive (Thief) and the rest is pretty random. Destiny is the only AAA game with a demo on my store.

It would really surprise me if EA comes out with a demo for this game.
Yeah it's horribele.
But watching this demo i figured it would make a litte sense. Actually, i'm just hoping...

scitek

What you want? Big flames? More blur?

Sounds like he wants Burnout.

I think the game looks stunning graphically, but the always-online problem saps any interest I have from it. The focus on social media trash for points or whatever really puts me off, as well. I didn't like Rivals, and was pretty disappointed in how Most Wanted turned out, too, though, so maybe GG's take on NFS just isn't for me.

scitek

There are plenty of online only games supporting 60fps at least. Don't overlook the fact that the game could be played at 60fps with a simple command line. MMOs as far as I know can be played at 60fps or more, same goes for MP only games.

No excuses for NFS 2015 not to support 60fps on PC.

Not yet confirmed.

Well, they said this after Rivals was locked to 30fps on PC:

Running at 30 fps provides a smooth experience when driving in this open world powered by AllDrive.
We are listening and targeting 60 FPS in the future.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Need-for-S...-30-fps-on-PC/m-p/1884967/highlight/true#M750

So if it's still locked, it won't be a good look for them.

Syntsui

Can't wait for the PSN to suffer a DDOS attack the day it launches and absolutely no one be able to play it. I really really hope this happen and they suffer and absurd backlash to the point the need to make it offline.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

You're misunderstanding me. The problem isn't whether the game supports 60fps. I know that, I've played it that way. The problem is that whatever framerate is chosen, the game REQUIRES it, since the framerate is tied to gamespeed. That's why making 60fps the standard for Rivals would have been much tougher, since its always online and if someone is getting framedrops, they're getting slowdown, and they're getting desynced from their opponents. You'd hope they could decouple the framerate from the gamespeed but for one reason or another they didn't. Of course there are online games that support 60fps, but there are few computationally demanding always online games that requires constant 60fps.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
ITT, we get to see just how many people never played Underground or Carbon.

Those games have a few things in common:

1-Nighttime racing only
2-Sold gangbusters
3-Loved by fans worldwide
4-Widely considered some of the top n4s games
5-Modern follow-up constantly requested by fans

In my eyes, Need4Speed 2015 speaks to those fans of Carbon and Underground. Nighttime racing is integral to the feel and appeal of Carbon/Underground. It strikes me that this game is a love letter to those fans.
P.S. Seems like there aren't many Midnight Club fans around here either

rrs

Oh cool you can turn off the drift brake garbage and make the cars, well, drive like cars. I was scared this was going to be like that hot pursuit reboot with all the cars driving like they came out of a bad 90's arcade game

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Oh cool you can turn off the drift brake garbage and make the cars, well, drive like cars. I was scared this was going to be like that hot pursuit reboot with all the cars driving like they came out of a bad 90's arcade game

Yes. Anyone who actually watched the videos would already know you can fully customize the handling of each car. And while that is not a guarantee the gameplay will be enjoyable to all, I still get a chuckle from all this "OMG BURNOUT REDUEX"-talk -_-

rrs

Yes. Anyone who actually watched the videos would already know you can fully customize the handling of each car. And while that is not a guarantee the gameplay will be enjoyable to all, I still get a chuckle from all this "OMG BURNOUT REDUEX"-talk -_-

I just saw the E3 footage until today, was there any other footage out earlier? I was thinking less burnout, more bad outrun2 clone

Oynox

Looks great. Even though I detest those body kits. But luckily one is not forced to use them. Therefore I am really looking forward to that title!

Akai__

Well, Grip Handling works for Race Events, but it reverts back as soon as you enter Drift Events according to the video. It doesn't seem like you can beat the whole game without Drift Handling.

Freiya

I'm surprised more people aren't upset at the fact that the game can be turned off in 3 years and they won't be able to play what they paid for anymore. That really seems unacceptable to me. I'd never pay more than a few dollars for something like that.

Gaz_RB

I can finally live out my Tokyo Drift fantasies in full HD.

1-Nighttime racing only
2-Sold gangbusters

In my eyes, Need4Speed 2015 speaks to those fans of Carbon and Underground. Nighttime racing is integral to the feel and appeal of Carbon/Underground. It strikes me that this game is a love letter to those fans.

100% agree.

And we need a Midnight Club 4: DUB Edition.

1-Nighttime racing only
2-Sold gangbusters

Well put. Hated Rivals and would like the classic cheesefest to return. Let me customize my car. Let me earn it from the bottom up. Make NFS fun again.

kafiend

1-Nighttime racing only
2-Sold gangbusters

I agree with you totally. Unfortunately, I don't like reading love letters while being fucked in the ass by someone curiously called Always Online.

I don't understand the "only night time?" complaints. The game's clearly reaching for a specific atmosphere, aesthetic, and culture. Midday races just don't make sense here. Looks great to me, though I'm biased because nighttime urban environments always look great to me. That streetlight glow <3

People did this with Carbon as well, so it's nothing new.

Xyber

Well, they said this after Rivals was locked to 30fps on PC:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Need-for-S...-30-fps-on-PC/m-p/1884967/highlight/true#M750

So if it's still locked, it won't be a good look for them.

Sigh.. They should not be targeting any framerate with the PC version, be it 30 or 60. Framerate should go as far as the GPU can push it, with the option of locking it down with Vsync. If the game is locked to 60 I won't even bother with this. It's the Frostbite engine, which runs unlocked just fine in Battlefield. Don't fuck this up.

Racing games at 144FPS feels glorious

We've Driveclub for that :)

Top Bottom