• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

zedge

I am playing on a 24inch monitor and just played with the new patch. Call me crazy but there looks to be a lot more aliasing on the car etc now.. did not notice this before. Actually played yesterday. Its smoother but I wonder what they cut out to achieve this? they also cranked up the motion blur.

Shitty twitter pic but its noticeable on the car here. Mostly around the lights, when moving I really see it. Not a huge deal but I don't recall this before patch.

BbpfrexIcAA3sZV.jpg:large

burgerdog

I am playing on a 24inch monitor and just played with the new patch. Call me crazy but there looks to be a lot more aliasing on the car etc now.. did not notice this before. Actually played yesterday. Its smoother but I wonder what they cut out to achieve this? they also cranked up the motion blur.

Shitty twitter pic but its noticeable on the car here. Mostly around the lights, when moving I really see it. Not a huge deal but I don't recall this before patch.

BbpfrexIcAA3sZV.jpg:large

The game wasn't dropping frames before, it was a frame pacing issue due to vsync.

Pretty sure you're crazy. This game has never had fantastic anti aliasing. Just browse Digital Foundry's pics.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-05-need-for-speed-rivals-next-gen-comparison-gallery

Yeah, so you definitely can start a race when in a pursuit. I'm on what I believe to be the last racer mission. I tried like three times and kept getting busted so I'm taking a break and will try again later.

I think I'm going to stick with the racer career until I hit level 60 or whatever is for the trophy and then I'll switch over to the cops.

I'm really sure you can start events while in a pursuit - you just can't set waypoints to them in EasyDrive. Might be wrong but I'm pretty positive you can. The cops can still smash into you during the events opening cinematic which sucks.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any of the purple/neon loading textures after the patch, but I only played about 30 minutes.
You can but you are very vulnerable during the event intro sequence , cop cars Will hurt you ( and during the event intor you can't move ) making this ( starting an even while in pursuit ) quite risky .

Yeah, so you definitely can start a race when in a pursuit. I'm on what I believe to be the last racer mission. I tried like three times and kept getting busted so I'm taking a break and will try again later.

I think I'm going to stick with the racer career until I hit level 60 or whatever is for the trophy and then I'll switch over to the cops.

The last race event is quite easy , but one thing VERY important is :
-To have a jammer
- to always use the repair stations ( even if you feel like you don't need it )

Repair station are very important , especially in the last part of the race because at this point you'll be at heat Lv 6 or more and you don't have much place to move in the last part of the race. ( you'll have 2 or more cop cars on your tail , making amunition and car health veyr important )
Do avoid doing this event at night , because the helicopter is trully a pain at night in this game ...

I recommand the shockwave for the 2nd weapon ... because you will need to keep car from coliding with you Lv 4 shockwave is very recommanded, as long as you use the repair places , you'll have enough nitro and ammunition to clear the event

ACH1LL3US

Oh man, oh mommy, what a difference after the patch. Sooo smooth now.

Uh yea... Played it maybe 19hrs pre patch and about an hr and half after the patch.. Night and day difference!!

It also feels like the controller input is more precise/less lag then before.

My fav game this gen, kudos Ghost/Criterion/Craig Sullivan!!

Need some advice please. Got my PS4 today, only have Killzone and AC4 at the moment so I'm looking to pick up one more game, either this or BF4 (would welcome any other suggestions except sports games). From what I've read so far, BF4 seems to be broken so I will hold off buying it till it's fixed.

Still undecided on this one though, I love love love Burnout Takedown and Paradise. Played a bit of Most Wanted (the most recent freeroam one) and enjoyed what little I've played, but it didn't really hooked me in like Burnout did. How does Rivals compare? Worth getting on next-gen?

The last race event is quite easy , but one thing VERY important is :
-To have a jammer
- to always use the repair stations ( even if you feel like you don't need it )

Repair station are very important , especially in the last part of the race because at this point you'll be at heat Lv 6 or more and you don't have much place to move in the last part of the race. ( you'll have 2 or more cop cars on your tail , making amunition and car health veyr important )
Do avoid doing this event at night , because the helicopter is trully a pain at night in this game ...

I recommand the shockwave for the 2nd weapon ... because you will need to keep car from coliding with you Lv 4 shockwave is very recommanded, as long as you use the repair places , you'll have enough nitro and ammunition to clear the event

Wasn't so bad. I used jammer and shockwave and I did fail once at the very end but then did it the next try. Shockwave was really helpful for the end section of the race. Any time anybody got close to me I'd just push them away.

Going back and doing those beginning challenges is so easy with these good cars.

Need some advice please. Got my PS4 today, only have Killzone and AC4 at the moment so I'm looking to pick up one more game, either this or BF4 (would welcome any other suggestions except sports games). From what I've read so far, BF4 seems to be broken so I will hold off buying it till it's fixed.

Still undecided on this one though, I love love love Burnout Takedown and Paradise. Played a bit of Most Wanted (the most recent freeroam one) and enjoyed what little I've played, but it didn't really hooked me in like Burnout did. How does Rivals compare? Worth getting on next-gen?

BF4 isn't as broken as GAF makes it seem. There shouldn't be what problems there are but GAF gonna GAF and make a big deal about it. There are some problems like the person you killed killing you and saves getting messed up (hasn't happened to me) but if you can do without playing conquest (which definitely has crashing problems) then you'll be fine. I play a lot of rush and domination and it never crashes. It's my second most played PS4 game after NFS.

I've really enjoyed playing this game. It has a lot of variety to it. The environment has a lot of different elements to it. The challenges give you multiple ways to play. The pursuit tech is a nice way to mix up just plain racing. You can be a racer or cop although I haven't tried the cop half though. I've been having a lot of fun with it. I'd say it's a good mix of Burnout and Most Wanted. It's beefed up Most Wanted style open world, which looks great, with a more Burnout arcade feel.

Nyx

Most Wanted was in a city which I personally didn't like, Rivals is more in the countryside with long straights and such which is better for racing if you ask me.

Before the update I would have given the game a 7/10, after the update an 8/10 as my biggest annoyance (the slowdown) has been fixed and the game is a lot of fun.

Don't expect a revolutionairy game though, just a good arcade racer.

Zampano

Repair stations should lock out for a few minutes after they've been used. Every time I'm chasing someone online they camp at the repair station, driving up and down the road until someone makes a mistake. Quite annoying.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Got my platinum the other day, of course the patch comes out a day later.

Repair stations should lock out for a few minutes after they've been used. Every time I'm chasing someone online they camp at the repair station, driving up and down the road until someone makes a mistake. Quite annoying.

Some of the racer missions would be so annoying if you couldn't cheese the repair stations.

For anybody else who sucks at this game like me the easiest way to do the Heat level 9 or the massive SP in one go checklists are to go to the repair station in the desert which is surrounded by an extremely long guard rail both north and south of it. The AI is really stupid and will just hang out at the ends of the guard rail so you can sneak in and out with some tech and drive back through the station when only 1 or 2 follow you back.

Thanks for all the tips in this thread guys. I have been switching between Cop and Racer to change things up ever so often. I am a higher level as a cop but as a racer it's exciting to have 100,000 sp with the cops on you hauling tail to the nearest garage.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I recommend you use the ESF and the Shockwave. You don't need the Jammer.

The best car IMO is the last Ferrari. You can crank it up almost as fast as the 2 cars that come after it but its got great durability unlike the last 2 cars.

edit: oh you already did it. grats!

well my tips for anybody else lol

Rainy Dog

Patch is spot on. In fact, after playing for a couple of hours post patch, don't know how I even tolerated it unpatched. Feels so much better now.

Patch is spot on. In fact, after playing for a couple of hours post patch, don't know how I even tolerated it unpatched. Feels so much better now.

I honestly have no idea how some people poured dozens of hours into this game pre-patch. That stuttering was awful, but I guess I realize some people just don't notice such things.

So I started really playing the game last night, and a few races in I hit a barrier at high speed and crashed. It spawned me on the other side of the barrier, and I couldn't get out, and continued crashing over and over as it tried re-spawning me. I had to restart the game to get out of this, so I just turned off my console for the night. Really annoying this sort of thing still happens post patch.

Is this a common bug?

I honestly have no idea how some people poured dozens of hours into this game pre-patch. That stuttering was awful, but I guess I realize some people just don't notice such things.

So I started really playing the game last night, and a few races in I hit a barrier at high speed and crashed. It spawned me on the other side of the barrier, and I couldn't get out, and continued crashing over and over as it tried re-spawning me. I had to restart the game to get out of this, so I just turned off my console for the night. Really annoying this sort of thing still happens post patch.

Is this a common bug?

Happened to me once before where I crashed and spawned in an area where I was trapped. I just restarted the event I was in. Hasn't happened since, though.

Dinosur

Is this a common bug?

Yeah, I had something funny happen like that too. Except once it finally got me respawned on a driveable surface, it decided to be nice and plague all the other AI racers with what happened to me. So I hit the gas and then everybody in front of me floated ten feet in the air and started spinning around and doing backflips lol.

Oneself

Ok, before & after that PS4 patch is like a night & day difference. And wow, that game proves that a steady 30fps with HQ motion blur can be impressive...

I got this yesterday, I enjoyed HP2010 and I am liking this very much.

But I easily get distracted by live racers on the map. It's just fun as hell to chase them, even if I fail to catch them, which I do a lot as I'm low level at the moment.

What pursuit tech do you guys recommend for both cops and racers?

I recommend you use the ESF and the Shockwave. You don't need the Jammer.

The best car IMO is the last Ferrari. You can crank it up almost as fast as the 2 cars that come after it but its got great durability unlike the last 2 cars.

edit: oh you already did it. grats!

well my tips for anybody else lol

Oops. Haha. It worked out at least. I was using the last lambo pretty much fully upgraded. I burned by the most of the way. If they'd try and EMP me, I'd just use the jammer and if they got close I'd just shockwave them away. That pretty much shut them down. They didn't really put up a fight.

The same with the other racers. It pretty much cheats for you to win. If I missed a repair station I'd turn around and drive back to get it. Then when I'd keep going you'd see the racers paused there waiting for me to catch up

Is this a common bug?

Yep common bug, but usually the game will spawn you on the map properly you got the extreme version of this bug.

I'm extremely close to making this the final launch game I dive into (ButtSmasher convinced me somewhat). A few questions:

1) During an event, can you simply pause and restart it or do you have to cancel the race and drive back to the starting point?

2) During an event, is it very clear on where to go or do you constantly have to keep referring to your minimap for which way to turn (I heard that the GPS provides flashing arrows on your screen but I could be wrong).

3) Are the events relatively linear in progression?

4) Is there rubber-banding and if so, is it bad?

5) Is the "pursuit -> escape -> pursuit -> escape" cop spawning thing still present post-patch?

I'm extremely close to making this the final launch game I dive into (ButtSmasher convinced me somewhat). A few questions:

1) During an event, can you simply pause and restart it or do you have to cancel the race and drive back to the starting point? Yes, you can restart instantly.

2) During an event, is it very clear on where to go or do you constantly have to keep referring to your minimap for which way to turn (I heard that the GPS provides flashing arrows on your screen but I could be wrong). There are on-screen prompts, but I frequently look at the minimap to see how sharp turns are.

3) Are the events relatively linear in progression? Nope, not linear AT ALL. You can do any events in any order, and you usually have at least 10 new ones on screen.

4) Is there rubber-banding and if so, is it bad? There is, but it's not terrible. Some races, people in 2nd will fly ahead of me, but I've finished others where I haven't seen the other racers for a few seconds after finishing.

5) Is the "pursuit -> escape -> pursuit -> escape" cop spawning thing still present post-patch?
Can't answer the last one -- haven't played post patch.

1) During an event, can you simply pause and restart it or do you have to cancel the race and drive back to the starting point?

2) During an event, is it very clear on where to go or do you constantly have to keep referring to your minimap for which way to turn (I heard that the GPS provides flashing arrows on your screen but I could be wrong).

3) Are the events relatively linear in progression?

4) Is there rubber-banding and if so, is it bad?

1) if you're a cop you can restart at once, if you're a racer you have to escape first for the restart option appears.
2) You have the mini map and the intersections ( on the road ) have a layers that get green/blue that show you the expected path to take.. you're not forced to look at the minimap
3) No you can do any unlocked event that matches the setlist , in any order and you have 3 setlist to choose from. I really don't think any players did the same path as another
4)Rubberbanding is still In, i'd say it's less annoying than in hotpursuit (2010).
5)Yes, but it's not game breaking, if anything when you have a high level heat, you get more points easily ( and the cops do get more agressive faster ) ..you really have yourself to balance the risk/reward in term of Sp and unlocks.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Yes. Yes! YES! Single complaint I have about this game (other than you respawning facing in the opposite direction it seems like most crashes). Minutes might be a bit too much - I could go for 30 seconds to a minute. However definitely having someone cheese the repair station (drive to one end, flip a bitch drive to the other end and ride through the station) is incredibly annoying.

cause every now and then you and your ilk are fortunate enough to ram me and destroy half an hour's worth of me dusting foos.

Haha...maybe you should be banking those SP's a little more often ;)

I will admit that I welcome the challenge against another human so if one is near me....you can bet on it that I'm going to chase them down and give it my best shot at busting them.

The AI just doesn't give you that warm and fuzzy feeling when you wreck them!!

Haha...maybe you should be banking those SP's a little more often ;)

I will admit that I welcome the challenge against another human so if one is near me....you can bet on it that I'm going to chase them down and give it my best shot at busting them.

The AI just doesn't give you that warm and fuzzy feeling when you wreck them!!

I really should...but dem multipliers.

mreddie

I will say playing as a cop isn't as cheap as HP 2010, that was bullcrap, being a racer, get hit and swarmed by cops and auto busting you when you're on wrecked mode.

I will say playing as a cop isn't as cheap as HP 2010, that was bullcrap, being a racer, get hit and swarmed by cops and auto busting you when you're on wrecked mode.

Pshh. Cause you aint got the moves bro. I be staying clowning the unis. Also seriously...if you master a e brake 180 it is incredibly easy to shake cops off. Human or otherwise.

Loving this game. Haven't even bothered playing as a cop yet, going for level 40 as a racer first.

Anybody on the west coast with a PS4 looking for people to play with, give me a shout.

Jaeger_Dice

Would be cool to play with some people that actually use mics so we can actually race against each other instead of just racing AI on different sides of the map.

Cops also welcome!

been playing so much (PS4 Nick_or_Dawood feel free to add) my hand is cramping. Love it so much. Lost more money than I have banked lol.

But seriously I cant take the soundtrack anymore. Need DLNA support right meow

dEvAnGeL

if the stutter was being caused by the vsync, did the patch removed vsync on the game? because i sure as hell rather have some stutter then screen tearing

mreddie

Pshh. Cause you aint got the moves bro. I be staying clowning the unis. Also seriously...if you master a e brake 180 it is incredibly easy to shake cops off. Human or otherwise.

I'm talking about HP Online.

The ironic part, this didn't bother me at first. When I decided on less on winning and more being the last car standing, I just stayed for away from the insanity. I never actually tried to brake away from the online cops though.

Top Bottom