• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals | OT | In Theaters March 14

if the stutter was being caused by the vsync, did the patch removed vsync on the game? because i sure as hell rather have some stutter then screen tearing

Don't listen to the people saying that. There is no screen tearing and there is no stuttering after the patch.

I'm talking about HP Online.

The ironic part, this didn't bother me at first. When I decided on less on winning and more being the last car standing, I just stayed for away from the insanity. I never actually tried to brake away from the online cops though.

Dudes get insanely overzealous as cops. At least that has been my experience. Even when i play as a cop i just try to stay on the road..sooner or later the racers hit some shit and mess up.

mreddie

Dudes get insanely overzealous as cops. At least that has been my experience. Even when i play as a cop i just try to stay on the road..sooner or later the racers hit some shit and mess up.

Meanwhile Rivals has been a smoother experience only because I'm in a Enzo or 918 and could easily defeat cops that weren't prepared for me having a better car.

Lima

Man that soundtrack. So terrible.

Weird because EA usually nails licensed soundtracks in their games pretty much every time.

leng jai

The main issue I have with this game is that even fully upgraded the cars are too weak. It feels like my car is always in critical condition less than 2 minutes after it's repaired (if I'm being chased).

Excellent patch though - eliminated most of the framerate hitches and the mountains in the background no longer flicker.

Rainy Dog

Ok, before & after that PS4 patch is like a night & day difference. And wow, that game proves that a steady 30fps with HQ motion blur can be impressive...

Yep. I played Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted at 60fps on the PC but this patched up Rivals has reminded me that I'm perfectly happy with 30fps as long as it's stable and solid.

Rainy Dog

The main issue I have with this game is that even fully upgraded the cars are too weak. It feels like my car is always in critical condition less than 2 minutes after it's repaired (if I'm being chased).

I'm getting really frustrated by this as a racer too. Cop cars seem to withstand an absolute battering and I'm confident racking up hundreds of thousands of XP before cashing in with those.

But with a level 3 racing car with the durability upgraded to 8+, it's critical in no time after a bit of wrangle with a couple of cops.

Currently stuck on trying to get 75,000 SP in one session but as soon as I'm at level 4 heat, I'm always done for. Can comfortably win a couple of events and rack up over half of that from taking out a couple of other racers and escaping a chase. But even after escaping and pulling away they're back on my trail again within a few seconds.

Do I need to start hiding away on some off-road tracks to let my heat level cool down?

leng jai

I'm getting really frustrated by this as a racer too. Cop cars seem to withstand an absolute battering and I'm confident racking up hundreds of thousands of XP before cashing in with those.

But with a level 3 racing car with the durability upgraded to 8+, it's critical in no time after a bit of wrangle with a couple of cops.

Currently stuck on trying to get 75,000 SP in one session but as soon as I'm at level 4 heat, I'm always done for. Can comfortably win a couple of events and rack up over half of that from taking out a couple of other racers and escaping a chase. But even after escaping and pulling away they're back on my trail again within a few seconds.

Do I need to start hiding away on some off-road tracks to let my heat level cool down?

The heat level cool down is weird. It seems random when as to whether they rediscover you. 90% of the time I can't even tell where they were when it says "pursuit resumed". I'm pretty sure they just appear out of thin air.

Meanwhile Rivals has been a smoother experience only because I'm in a Enzo or 918 and could easily defeat cops that weren't prepared for me having a better car.

Yea its great once you have a decent ride.

I tend to do that. But that's mainly because I'm terrified of playing racer and bumping into cops who are as annoying as I am... Not sure I could handle the loss.

You can do it. You havent lived until you hit a tree 5 feet from the finish and lost a race..then got gangbanged by a squad of cops.

Weird because EA usually nails licensed soundtracks in their games pretty much every time.

i personnaly think the soundtrack is fine , except 2 songs ... problem is that it's so inferior to NFS most wanted or NFS hot pursuit (2010) ...heck it's inferior to Hot hursuit 2 soundtrack too.

i personnaly think the soundtrack is fine , except 2 songs ... problem is that it's so inferior to NFS most wanted or NFS hot pursuit (2010) ...heck it's inferior to Hot hursuit 2 soundtrack too.

I think the devs must have realized the soundtrack was shit because you can barely hear it over the sound FX at default settings

So last night was the first time I truly dug into this game. I had played about an hour when the PS4 launched, but I had to wait for a patch to enjoy myself. So glad it finally arrived though, because the game is pretty damn fun.

It's got that great arcade feel that you'd expect from a racer Criterion worked on. I've only played the racer side so far, and I just reached level 10 last night before quitting. I enjoy the open feel of it all, with the ability to just challenge racers anytime you come across one. The feeling on the racer side of earning money and then deciding to risk it further to earn more, or head back to your hideout is pretty awesome. Really fun to just barely make it back to your hideout, or make it to a repair shop in the nick of time.

I am still a little annoyed at how often the cops get involved in things, and I wish they were just a little less common on the roads. It's particularly annoying when you lose a cop, and then you get what I guess is a bug, and suddenly it says "pursuit resumed" even though you see no cop anywhere near you. One time I even had a cop just instantly appear behind me. I'm surprised, and disappointed they didn't fix this with the most recent patch. It feels like the last blatant bug that needs addressing.

I've got a couple other complaints, and I also have an idea of exactly how both could have been fixed.

Obviously the "story" they've included is rather dumb. Frankly, I have no idea why they even included it. Criterion seemed to understand with all their recent games that racers don't need stories. At best just give the player a fun concept or setting, and let them go have fun. Anyway, it's not a big deal as the cut scenes are short and over with before you know it.

What if you just gave the player a cousin or uncle, or someone who hung out at the hideouts? The overarching story could just be a lighthearted one, like "these friends just love to fuck around with the cops in this crazy open city". Make it a lighthearted thing, rather than this overly serious nonsense. So when you hit a hideout you'd be greeted with a very quick voice over about "how much loot you got this time". Other game have touched on this idea I'm imagining, like GRID 1/2, where you had a "pit crew" dude who talked in you ear pre race. So by introducing this lighthearted friends idea, that would then allow you to have a "buddy" in your ear during races, and the key thing this would provide would fix a complaint I have during races/getaways. It would be great if I had some audio guidance about where the nearest repair shop or hideout was. In the heat of a crazy race I don't have time to look down at that map! But what if I could click the left or right stick, and my buddy would chime in with "the nearest repair shop is a mile up the road on the left side!", or "the nearest safehouse is 3 miles east of you right now".

I think that lighthearted concept would have worked so much better, and this buddy in your ear concept could have worked really well at helping you find what you need when you need it, without looking down at a map during an insanely heated moment.

Anyway, it's a really fun game as is, and I'm glad I bought it. Just wish developers didn't always think that going the fucking serious route is always the best idea. Games like Uncharted are popular for a reason too. Fun characters who don't take themselves too seriously can make for an intense experience as well.

Anyone have the problem of when you use shockwave it helps other cars? I swear half the time it gives them a damn turbo boost in front of me. I only use it to the side now.

Anyone have the problem of when you use shockwave it helps other cars? I swear half the time it gives them a damn turbo boost in front of me. I only use it to the side now.

Shockwave should be used on the side or from the front. if you use shockwave while on the rear ( unless you're in a corner ) , you'll just help the racer..

Tiduz

Eurogaime
wait to get the platinum i need to do the 47km race three times?

FUCK.

i did it once and did not enjoy it at all. love the rest of the game.

Repair stations should lock out for a few minutes after they've been used. Every time I'm chasing someone online they camp at the repair station, driving up and down the road until someone makes a mistake. Quite annoying.

Absolutely agree when it comes to individual players, had someone doing that with me the last time I played online as a cop. Ridiculously cheap and it doesn't help that cops do way more to get in your way than they actually assist in bringing racers down.

I really should...but dem multipliers.

Find a Interceptor that can be done quickly for a good amount of SP and you can build up a 10x multiplier in no time. Panic Attack that I mentioned before is a good one for that.

Agreed, I've never gone to my own music faster with any game as I did this one.

Too bad my Music Unlimited trial ran out the other day. I had been streaming it while playing (game music off). Well that is when it didnt stop playing for no reason Wish they would have an annual MU sale for like 14.99 or allow DLNA soon.

To the people talking about getting to critical damage way too quickly, have you tried different pursuit tech combinations? Good drifting + turbo + shockwave will keep you moving constantly and you should be able to avoid most cop bumps pretty easy.

As to online cops, I would agree that they are assholes... but I have yet to have one catch me ;D

Anyone in EU wants a racing wingman, feel free to add me, PSN: ScarletMyst

EDIT: other regions too... but I may not be able to play with you much

Justin85

So last night was the first time I truly dug into this game. I had played about an hour when the PS4 launched, but I had to wait for a patch to enjoy myself. So glad it finally arrived though, because the game is pretty damn fun.

It's got that great arcade feel that you'd expect from a racer Criterion worked on. I've only played the racer side so far, and I just reached level 10 last night before quitting. I enjoy the open feel of it all, with the ability to just challenge racers anytime you come across one. The feeling on the racer side of earning money and then deciding to risk it further to earn more, or head back to your hideout is pretty awesome. Really fun to just barely make it back to your hideout, or make it to a repair shop in the nick of time.

I am still a little annoyed at how often the cops get involved in things, and I wish they were just a little less common on the roads. It's particularly annoying when you lose a cop, and then you get what I guess is a bug, and suddenly it says "pursuit resumed" even though you see no cop anywhere near you. One time I even had a cop just instantly appear behind me. I'm surprised, and disappointed they didn't fix this with the most recent patch. It feels like the last blatant bug that needs addressing.

I've got a couple other complaints, and I also have an idea of exactly how both could have been fixed.

Obviously the "story" they've included is rather dumb. Frankly, I have no idea why they even included it. Criterion seemed to understand with all their recent games that racers don't need stories. At best just give the player a fun concept or setting, and let them go have fun. Anyway, it's not a big deal as the cut scenes are short and over with before you know it.

What if you just gave the player a cousin or uncle, or someone who hung out at the hideouts? The overarching story could just be a lighthearted one, like "these friends just love to fuck around with the cops in this crazy open city". Make it a lighthearted thing, rather than this overly serious nonsense. So when you hit a hideout you'd be greeted with a very quick voice over about "how much loot you got this time". Other game have touched on this idea I'm imagining, like GRID 1/2, where you had a "pit crew" dude who talked in you ear pre race. So by introducing this lighthearted friends idea, that would then allow you to have a "buddy" in your ear during races, and the key thing this would provide would fix a complaint I have during races/getaways. It would be great if I had some audio guidance about where the nearest repair shop or hideout was. In the heat of a crazy race I don't have time to look down at that map! But what if I could click the left or right stick, and my buddy would chime in with "the nearest repair shop is a mile up the road on the left side!", or "the nearest safehouse is 3 miles east of you right now".

I think that lighthearted concept would have worked so much better, and this buddy in your ear concept could have worked really well at helping you find what you need when you need it, without looking down at a map during an insanely heated moment.

Anyway, it's a really fun game as is, and I'm glad I bought it. Just wish developers didn't always think that going the fucking serious route is always the best idea. Games like Uncharted are popular for a reason too. Fun characters who don't take themselves too seriously can make for an intense experience as well.

Great point and great suggestion.

Anyone else on PS4 having issues getting disconnected and having to migrate hosts? I get so pissed when I have a bunch of SP or I am almost done with an event and it disconnects. I just raged Entered Standby (about as crazy as I get anymore).

Raven77

Is there still no way to race with a friend AND public players??? My friend and I haven't touched this game since realizing that this wasn't possible a few weeks ago.

Such a big mistake on the devs part. It would be like playing Halo online only allowed you to play with friends OR random people...never both.

Is there still no way to race with a friend AND public players??? My friend and I haven't touched this game since realizing that this wasn't possible a few weeks ago.

Such a big mistake on the devs part. It would be like playing Halo online only allowed you to play with friends OR random people...never both.

iirc the game automatically drops you in with friends when you start up (ie. prefers friends over randoms) but only if there is space in the game they are playing in for you to join. Happened to me and mate quite a few times.

Also an addendum to my earlier post: drive through every repair shop you can so you can to avoid going critical too

leng jai

They were better than the shit we have now in Rivals. Man these cutscenes and the dialog were so awful.

I skipped every single one in Rivals. Josie Maran and cheesy cutscenes added a lot to Most Wanted. Did anyone play Undercover? How were the cutscenes in that with Maggie Q?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I encountered this glitch the other night while playing on the cop side, was working towards getting level 60 trophy. And at one point the game stopped adding SP to my total.

I tried selecting a different mission selection. Didn't work.
I tried switching over to Racer side. That didn't work either.

Had to reboot the game until it finally worked again.

Well i had this bug were i had to wreck cops as part of a setlist and ... the number wasn't going up even if i had the screen notification that the police car was wrecked no matter how many cops car i destroyed i had to go back to a garage , restart the entire setlist for it to work again.

Well the game was masively improved by the patch but there are still some small bugs here and there.

Bebpo

Banned
So game looks MUCH better post-patch. I thought it was weird because Hot Pursuit looked great on PS3 at 30fps, but this just looked kind of shitty. At first thought it was because I played Most Wanted 2012 at 1080/60fps/4xAA on PC, but nah, it was just the stutter. Looks good now outside lack of AA causing a jaggy/grainy image; but it's good enough to be fun and feels great now to drive around, so I'm actually getting back into it.

am cry...
just got disconnected while first place on mile 18 of final Hot Pursuit Hard Grand Tour. Fuck
trippy_zps1dab263f.gif

Said the word "Yes!" when I was about to win a Hot Pursuit I hadn't won yet. Kinect reads it as a command, camera spins around the car, I crash and lose. Fuck this shit.

NFS:R post this recent patch on the PS4, is definitely resulting in a very very silky smooth performance, even the overall visual fidelity looks a lot more cleaner and sharper! And no more pink light flickering issues argh!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
1512191_10153641861565440_1077666022_o.jpg

dat glitch, was gone after like 5 secs tho.

anyone wanna help me get the 2 online trophies tomorrow or something?

psn: Tiduz

So i reached rank 60 as a racer ... this wasn't such a bad grind i had a little problem finding a place to do the 300 yard drift ( in one go ) but i managed.

Hopefully the cop campaign ( that i'll start soon ) won't be harder.

Top Bottom