• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals Review Thread

Seanspeed

Banned
Possible sleeper hit?

Not my type of game, but its nice to see when games without much hype turn out pretty great.

Third party stuff definitely seems to be the main reason to buy a next-gen console at the moment.

Solal

It could be worth to try a steering wheel with this one... it's not supposed to be compatible...but the previous ones were not supposed either...but were (at least with logitech/fanatec wheels).

So, if anyone has the game, a steering wheel and a PS4... please let us know.

p3tran

Banned
Possible sleeper hit?

Not my type of game, but its nice to see when games without much hype turn out pretty great.

Third party stuff definitely seems to be the main reason to buy a next-gen console at the moment.

for ps4 it will sell well i think, given that is the only racer available
handling is still the same, but graphics wise it looks good.

iFootball

Man... so tempted to exchange my unopened Knack at Target to get this (its even available at my store!)... but I wanted to have a Co-op game to play with my kid... and I was set on waiting for Driveclub instead.... UGH... firstworldproblems.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Man... so tempted to exchange my unopened Knack at Target to get this (its even available at my store!)... but I wanted to have a Co-op game to play with my kid... and I was set on waiting for Driveclub instead.... UGH... firstworldproblems.jpg

Do we know if NFS is at Target yet? Had someone mention they weren't having it till Tuesday.

robot

NFS & Target has been a bit of a clusterfuck. It's a mish mash of employees not knowing when the game was released, the game not being on shelves, and their ad.

NFS has been a Clusterfuck for Amazon too. I did the B2G1F at 12:01pm and mine is still back ordered. Its time to do the buy at store X and return the Amazon copy whenever it gets here.

USC-fan

Banned
NFS & Target has been a bit of a clusterfuck. It's a mish mash of employees not knowing when the game was released, the game not being on shelves, and their ad.

NFS has been a Clusterfuck for Amazon too. I did the B2G1F at 12:01pm and mine is still back ordered. Its time to do the buy at store X and return the Amazon copy whenever it gets here.

Yeah Ea fuck up this game launch on PS4. I bet it cost them a lot of $$$.

Target nor amazon seem to even have this game.

j-wood

My amazon copy still hasn't shipped and doesn't have a date to ship. I hit up amazon support about it and all I got was "we are working with the supplier to get more stock and it will ship as soon as we can"

Very frustrating

Xater

Buy Lego Marvel instead. It is already known that it is a great game.

I liked what I played of NFS at Gamescom, but I want to read a few more reviews before I decide about getting it. The Racer progression issues that EGm mentions sound bad.

USC-fan

Banned
Buy Lego Marvel instead. It is already known that it is a great game.

I liked what I played of NFS at Gamescom, but I want to read a few more reviews before I decide about getting it. The Racer progression issues that EGm mentions sound bad.

Yeah im thinking about taking back ghost to get lego marvels

v0yce

Do we know if NFS is at Target yet? Had someone mention they weren't having it till Tuesday.

I had to twist a bunch of arms to get it yesterday as part of the B2G1 deal at Target ("can't sell till Friday" > "there's a memo" > "that game is not listed on the memo" > "PLEEEAASSSEEEE" etc...), but I did. Only a 2 Targets near me had it though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What is the deal with this game's release dates with various retailers? GameStops were selling as of the 12th for next-gen. Target didn't. Toys R Us didn't. Best Buy started yesterday.

Why such staggered shelving?

Flarin

Searched...didn't see a thread, so run me off the road if old.

kazHirai_contro_DonMattrick.gif

NJShadow

Can't wait to play this! Should be coming along with the PS4 shortly. Playing the waiting game ATM. But man, GameSpot's review was superb! Apparently the game does play a lot like Criterion's Hot Pursuit which I loved loved LOVED!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This game is freaking brilliant so far. On the surface it does feel like a mixture of Hot Pursuit (the intensity of the chases and the variety of gadgets, plus the somewhat linear design of the roads) and Most Wanted 2012 (the open-world, the various events and collectibles plus the snazzy car intros), but it's a very different beast.

It feels a lot more open, so to speak. You level up my completing various missions that come in sets, but basically you pick which ones you want. Basically if you want to get to Level 5 by winning 2 races, and bumping 3 opponent cars off the road, well you go do that. Or you can evade a pursuit with Level 3 Heat and wreck a Cop car. It's your choice.

The best part is how the heat system works. It doesn't go away after evading the cops. Ditch'em with a busted up car with a sliver of health left, at Level 8 heat...Guess what? Heat is still there. A player could spawn on top of you and collect all the speed points you were amassing thus far. Every time you leave your garage/safe house, you are putting all on the line. Get busted and everything you gained is gone. To reset the heat/bank your points, you have to get back to one of the multiple hideouts. What's awesome is how you don't have to ditch the cops to get into a safe place. Just get there, and you'll be keeping all your new points.

And yeah, it looks crisp and vibrant as all hell on my 40-inch Bravia. Pretty, pretty game. This is top of the bunch launch material for sure.

scitek

Is there much of a single-player game? Most Wanted was an absolute let-down in that regard, so it was pretty much a pick-up-and-play-when-I'm-bored game instead of something I sunk hours into.

Solal

Fuck... I loved NFS HP and MW... I guess this is gonna cost me 60€ more if it's as good as they say.

I did not see many Takedowns on videos... still there aren't they ?

Online only?

Fuckers. Nice last minute bit of information there.

more:

Inexplicably dropped sessions are a major pain in the ass with Rivals. Sure, host migration happens quickly enough when a connection is lost. But I lost progress two times after the action started back up. One of those instances was during a challenge that required me to rack up 100,000 Speed Points during one session. After about an hour of play, I got up to 50,000 some-odd points before a broken connection killed my progress. After host migration, I was slammed back to a big fat zero.

Why did this happen? Was no part of my data being saved locally? Was a running total not tacked to my profile? Was it lost in host migration? I have no idea and therein lie the perils of an always-online game. While the appeal of AllDrive is apparent, cracks like the one above make me wonder why the developers didn't make the feature something that runs in the background. Even the worst punk in the world doesn't deserve to have their session scuttled by network woes.

Well I just all interest.

Edit: Looks like that wasn't true.

Update: A previous version of this review said that there is no offline mode in Need For Speed Rivals. That was incorrect. It's a better experience with an online connection but can be played without one. We regret the error.

Interest regained :)

derExperte

What was so bad about it in your opinion? Just curious because I loved this game,great fun and one of the best looking games I played.

Here's my list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77622801&postcount=7566

+ at least on PC there was no way to mute everyone, I had to do it person by person through the terrible menu system which was a pita with new people joining constantly and starting to scream/whine/sing/whatever. That and some instability ruined mp.

And I think the DLC bullshit in MW needs to be mentioned again. And again. And again. It was so bad.

newsguy

After most wanted 2012 I'll never buy a criterion game again, what a stinker that was.

It's sad you were soured by that game because this one is awesome. I finally played some online. It's so damn good. I was a cop and the game kept telling me there was a pursuit I needed to join. Turns out it was a human raver and 3 AI cops were chasing the guy. So I integrated myself and hit him with a couple of EMPs. After dying, I saw that the AI cops finished what I started and took him down. It was chaos for like 5 minutes and it was fantastic.

I have no idea what they're talking about; it works fine offline (sans online features obviously)
Yeah, they updated the review:

Update: A previous version of this review said that there is no offline mode in Need For Speed Rivals. That was incorrect. It's a better experience with an online connection but can be played without one. We regret the error.

Top Bottom