• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals Review Thread

Marinlik

Neo Member
I've been playing Rivals all afternoon. There's a very simple litmus test to determine whether you will like it or not.

Did you like Forza Horizon? Y/N

...because it's basically that, in 1080p, with cops.

In other words it's fucking awesome. :-D

How is it compared to most wanted? I never really liked most wanted because of how cars handled and how easy it was to get that crash cut scene. But I have watched a lot of Rivals streams, and it looks really fun. The map looks a lot more fun than Most Wanteds map

oatmeal

Banned
kazHirai_contro_DonMattrick.gif

Holy crap

p3tran

Banned
Need for Speed Rivals |OT| I EAn't afraid of no Ghost

EA-Opens-Ghost.jpg

bingo right there!

@rokker: looks good, and hopefully the powerups play a little more like blur

edit: also i just heard on the stream, that the guy that is talking like a goddamn cop, he does it cause the game listens and sends reinforcements (he plays the cop, so "reinforcements south", "need air support", etc)
heh funny

Padinn

I am loving this game - its so fun. Been mainly playing as a copy, its a lot like playing burnout (but its been years since I played any burnout games). Enjoying the hell out of it.

My PSN name is Padinn if anyone wants to friend me.

I'm digging this on the PS4, even though the 30fps and handling takes some getting used to. Getting involved with other players as either racer or cop is pretty damn exciting.

Stupid question time: How do you quit this game? I don't see the option anywhere. No go back to main menu, no nothing. I've just used the PS button from the garage but that feels a little strange.

As the games practically seem to look the same it'll come to controller preference for me. I'm very excited for the rumble trigger in the Xbox One controller. Any impressions on the One controller in this game?

This game is amazing.

The handling clicked for me after about an hour of play. I did not play Most Wanted, but imagine Hot Pursuit in an open world that, to me, feels more like Burnout Revenge in terms of its handling model. The description of Forza Horizon with cops is apt.

It also looks great. Like, really great. The winding road through snowy mountain tops with the ice glistening on the road is spectacular.

Next gen is here. And it's only going to get prettier.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've got this for launch (29th) is this basically an open world NFS:HP? And can you buy cars or are you forced depending on the Race?

Was playing my brother's PS4 copy. Can someone explain the process in detail, about logging into Origin? We both don't have origin accounts, and it kept saying I needed to be logged into PSN first anyways. So I also might not know how to correctly "log into PSN"

weevles

I've never really been able to get into any of the NFS games, and I'm not entirely convinced this one will change that, but it does sound really good. I'd like to at least give it a try. I haven't received my PS4 yet, but is there a demo in the store specifically for PS4?

chixdiggit

So much fun. I love how you are always doing multiple tasks at the same time. For example my objective was to get from point A to point B in a certain time. While doing that I challenged another racer and also cops were chasing us. Not to mention a couple speed cameras that I wanted to do better on.
So basically I had 4 objectives going on at the same time.

IndustryX

Not sure if I want to go for this or knack. Any form of two player/splitscreen or online? How's the 30 fps look? The lack of coverage on this game had me pretty skeptical.

Got this preordered from Amazon, but they're still saying that I won't see a copy until December 27th. I assume that's a placeholder date, but is anyone else having this problem?

So much fun. I love how you are always doing multiple tasks at the same time. For example my objective was to get from point A to point B in a certain time. While doing that I challenged another racer and also cops were chasing us. Not to mention a couple speed cameras that I wanted to do better on.
So basically I had 4 objectives going on at the same time.

Right? That's my favorite part of this game. Each session is just one long, crazy race.

Not sure if I want to go for this or knack. Any form of two player/splitscreen or online? How's the 30 fps look? The lack of coverage on this game had me pretty skeptical.

This. No splitscreen. It looks great. The lack of coverage was due to the embargo.

prophecy0

I've been playing Rivals all afternoon. There's a very simple litmus test to determine whether you will like it or not.

You just further increased my hype level. I loved Horizon.

Yeah. It's giving me a Forza Horizon vibe too. My only problem with the game is that there is too much to do. I don't know where to begin. I'm not sure what i am supposed to be doing with the other real drivers on the road. It is so much but it's fun.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I don't think its anything like Horizon. Maybe in that you frequently use a map to select your next destination and being a huge driving playground, but to me racers are defined by how the cars handle. In that regard this has more in common with Burnout.

Maybe a great demolition derby type game, definitely not a great racing game. The game was more focused on crashing, drifting and jumping than actual racing. Instant turn off.
So a good old fashioned simulation racer vs arcade racer opinion?

I enjoyed the game. I've only played cops, but I can see why you're not liking it if you want a 'racing game'.

NHale

This easy streaming by anyone on the PS4 is going to kill my wallet. I spent my last 2 hours seeing different people streaming this game and I'm almost convinced to buy it now instead of waiting for a price drop.

While it's becoming clearer that there is a huge disconnect between reviewers and consumers, it's fantastic to be able to see different people playing the game in the same conditions as those that want to buy it. To me it becomes much easier to see if I will probably like it or not and Rivals clearly passed my eye test.

The only worry I have is about the community. Launch game for a new console will never bring huge numbers, especially when it's on current-gen also, and this game seems to be based on a huge community because of Alldrive and leaderboards.

Totally feeling the Horizon's vibe as well. Not surprising since many who worked on that game worked on this this one.

I'm slothmoney69, btw. always looking for other gaf'ers to play with.

Was playing my brother's PS4 copy. Can someone explain the process in detail, about logging into Origin? We both don't have origin accounts, and it kept saying I needed to be logged into PSN first anyways. So I also might not know how to correctly "log into PSN"
So nobdoy's tried online yet?

snack

YESYESYES!!!!

Ok this game will be mine. Please please PLEASE let the PC version be good.

molnizzle

The EGM review made a point of saying the later cars are so fast the engine doesn't always keep up. Were you driving really fast when it happened?

I was going fast, but not that fast. I'm only a few hours in so I wasn't using a super car or anything. You really only notice the pop-in when driving by the mountains -- but it's really noticeable. Mountain range looked like the inside of a damn popcorn machine. It's not a deal breaker, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit dissapointed.

Don't understand the Forza Horizon comparisons. Horizon is smoother, has a much deeper driving model with several layers of assists, manual transmissions and cockpit views.

They're both 30fps, but not all 30fps games achieve the same fluidity. Horizon is a standout, even among 30fps games.

I'm having a lot of fun here, but at least in my mind the two games are worlds apart. Maybe the people who compare them played with full assists and chase cam and maybe forget just how responsive the cars in that game were?

Top Bottom