• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed: Rivals Review Thread

bodine1231

I've been playing it for the last 2 hours and its fantastic! The driving is great,its beautiful and fun,what more can you ask for a launch game?

sunnz

I knew this would get good reviews (it's basically a prettier open world Hot Pursuit), but I can't stand the gameplay.

The best Need for Speeds are Underground 2 and the original Most Wanted in that order. I hate these Burnout hybrid style NFS.

Agree.

Something about the gameplay in these new ones ( more burnout style gameplay) just isn't appealing.

Artorias

Banned
Great to hear. This is probably the first arcade racer I've paid $60 for and I can't wait to play it. Amazon doesn't have my copy yet so itll be a few days :(

AwShucks

As much as I want a new Burnout and would be willing to pay a full $60 for one, this isn't it. But I still really want it so I'll probably buy when I can get it for $40

bonesquad

It's been awhile since I last played a racing game, probably Burnout Paradise, and so far I'm having a ton of fun with Rivals. Way too early to say if it's that good though. Part of the 'problem' is that I suck. I keep managing to complete all the objectives, but then get busted before I can go collect. Which means despite gaining a level, I get 0 moneys. I'll be level 10 and not be able to afford the cars I need:(

chixdiggit

Rented this for PS4 and am really loving it. Great visuals, superb sound, and a lot of fun. I really like the two separate careers and the online is pretty neat.
Unfortunately the 30fps really hurts it. Not a deal breaker since it's so fun but going to Wait for the PC impressions before I buy.

Rented this for PS4 and am really loving it. Great visuals, superb sound, and a lot of fun. I really like the two separate careers and the online is pretty neat.
Unfortunately the 30fps really hurts it. Not a deal breaker since it's so fun but going to Wait for the PC impressions before I buy.

Gamefly?

NHale

Anyone comparing this to Burnout Paradise should really go back and play Burnout Paradise. It's becoming the norm to compare every game to Burnout Paradise without understanding what made Burnout Paradise so unique even after all this years.

I've done this yesterday right after playing Most Wanted (another game reviewers compared to Burnout Paradise) and the 60fps makes it impossible to compare. The framerate is the first impression you get from the game, it's fluid and it always feel like you are driving fast because it's so smooth. It makes a huge difference in the actually racing part of the game, which is the essential part of the game.

I'm not saying that 30fps racing games are unplayable but if you are going to compare it to Burnout Paradise at least have the same framerate.

VXLbeast

I knew this would get good reviews (it's basically a prettier open world Hot Pursuit), but I can't stand the gameplay.

The best Need for Speeds are Underground 2 and the original Most Wanted in that order. I hate these Burnout hybrid style NFS.

Only messed up the order: Most Wanted is king.

No one will understand how much that..."remake" hurt me.

jaydogg691

This game might hold me back from playing my other PS4. I could have missed this gem if DriveClub wasn't delayed. Great game.

Add me cause I need some NFS friends. Also, let me now that your GAF.

PSN: jaydogg691

Hawk269

Kind of amazing how that rumor snowballed.

It is 60fps on the PC? Shit, I almost got the game today for the PS4, but then read that the AO makes the Xbox One version look a little better, but if they are running the PC version at 60fps, I am getting that one for sure.

ruxtpin

Banned
Cool thanks. Figure I'm downloading Resogun, but I might have some extra credits and could buy the digital version of Rivals.

OrangeOak

Here's my list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77622801&postcount=7566

+ at least on PC there was no way to mute everyone, I had to do it person by person through the terrible menu system which was a pita with new people joining constantly and starting to scream/whine/sing/whatever. That and some instability ruined mp.

And I think the DLC bullshit in MW needs to be mentioned again. And again. And again. It was so bad.

Well different strokes for different folks I guess because from that whole list there is not to much that I can agree with,especially if it comes to a map design(I find it opposite of boring.I loved free roaming through that city with all that crazy jumps) and police(I really liked that you can just hide and turn your engine off,never had any problems to lose them.)

So does this game use the vita as a second screen for local multiplayer, as an earlier thread suggested?

Or is it like it sounded (too good to be true?)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What the fuck. It's sold out everywhere around me. Target, Best Buy, and GameStop. :|

molnizzle

I've been playing Rivals all afternoon. There's a very simple litmus test to determine whether you will like it or not.

Did you like Forza Horizon? Y/N

...because it's basically that, in 1080p, with cops.

In other words it's fucking awesome. :-D

scitek

I think people need to realize it's basically a Criterion developed NFS title, as most of Criterion is now at Ghost Games.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Played for few hours and the game is fantastic.

I will make an OT when im home if there isn't one already.

Go for it.

Since it was sold out in so many areas around me, if I can't find a copy tomorrow, I'm downloading it.

Nethaniah

Dare i ask....wheel support? Good wheel support would make me buy this.

Criterion promised it in the past for HP / MW but they had zero actual support besides recognizing my wheel, The Run on the other hand was great in that department.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone comparing this to Burnout Paradise should really go back and play Burnout Paradise. It's becoming the norm to compare every game to Burnout Paradise without understanding what made Burnout Paradise so unique even after all this years.

I've done this yesterday right after playing Most Wanted (another game reviewers compared to Burnout Paradise) and the 60fps makes it impossible to compare. The framerate is the first impression you get from the game, it's fluid and it always feel like you are driving fast because it's so smooth. It makes a huge difference in the actually racing part of the game, which is the essential part of the game.

I'm not saying that 30fps racing games are unplayable but if you are going to compare it to Burnout Paradise at least have the same framerate.

Is there a city in this? That was my favourite part of paradise, not the racing oddly.

We need OT for this, pronto. And while we wait, a question to those who're already playing it - how bad is the catch-up? Most Wanted bad, or something less annoying?

So Amazon finally shipped me this game. Expected delivery day, via USPS, is....tomorrow, Sunday. The tracking information also shows Sunday delivery.

Huh?

bryanee

So Amazon finally shipped me this game. Expected delivery day, via USPS, is....tomorrow, Sunday. The tracking information also shows Sunday delivery.

Huh?

I read on this site the other day that Amazon is doing Sunday deliveries in some parts of the US. Maybe that's why????

Momentary

Banned
So the PC version ISN'T locked at 30fps? If that's the case then I might purchase this, but the quote from the deveoper has me worried:

"Anything can happen in AllDrive. That's the key innovation with this game. You don't have single-player, co-op or multiplayer. It just happens seamlessly.I could be playing the game, setting a time, and all of a sudden you could come into that world, and you could be carrying AI, I could be carrying AI, and all of a sudden, on that screen, there are a lot of cars. We always have to budget for the worst case scenario.So in this case we've prioritised the gameplay, because we think 30fps is giving a satisfactory experience."

Hopefully it's just pertaining to the the lower end console version.

j-wood

I'm pissed that Amazon still shows out of stock for this after I ordered it for B2G1 free.

It looks like the gamestop near me has this in stock...anyone have any experience with amazon canceling a game before it's shipped? I wonder how that would effect my B2G1 deal? (it didn't just discount one game entirely, it took a % off of all 3 games.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Do you guys have a quote for the OT?

Creating a quick one here.

"Roll further, bitch"

pXyjiFt.png

Top Bottom