• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo-nazis are probably ruining the men's undercut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rell

Yeah, I always knew it as the Hitler youth haircut. Since forever. I've never known it as anything else.

That being said, it's just a haircut. It's a fad that'll come and go. The same guys that have this haircut now probably had an emo haircut back in the mid-2000s.
Who gives a shit.

Everyone I know called it the Nazi haircut as well.

I remember when the haircut was really making a comeback I went to the barber, did the "shorten it up" and they gave me the haircut in question, by default.

The cut really used to be everywhere. Not really seeing it much anymore though.

Mr_Moogle

One of the first times I ever felt old was when I was getting a haircut, I asked the hairdresser why all the kids are sporting Hitler haircuts these days? I'm only 30 and I'm already out of touch with today's youth.

Timbuktu

It already seem like quite a while ago when this seemed like a thing in London, around Dalston, Shoreditch and places like that. Then the footballers got into it and now I don't notice it much anymore. Definitely felt like a pre-Brexit thing.

Chumley

Banned
What hair cuts should we be getting instead guys.

LuMWsZl.jpg

Have had this haircut for like 4 years now? The alt right are just low cultured rednecks which is why they are just now jumping onto this very nice and fashionable haircut.

No, it's always been a hitler youth cut.

Davey Cakes

My haircut is kind of like an undercut. Parted on the left, but the sides are at "guard number 3" on the wiffle scale. So it starts out like a nazi cut (or a hipster cut, depending on what bullshit label you want to slap on) and grows into being a more traditional left parted look.

I like the style so I probably won't change it. Funny that I'm REALLY liberal, though.

I've been wearing some version of the undercut since 2010. It's long though at the moment, so my friend started braiding my hair.

It's nice.

Polari

Have had this haircut for like 4 years now? The alt right are just low cultured rednecks which is why they are just now jumping onto this very nice and fashionable haircut.

I don't think so. It's always been a Hitler Youth cut. All the hipster kids were taking photos of Hitler Youth dudes into barbershops 10-12 years ago, probably longer.

I've always found the undercut to look kind of silly. My hairstyle for the past 5 years has basically been whatever you'd call Hugh Jackman's haircut. It's relatively short, but the top is longer and pushed up.

SoundLad

Pretty appalled that some posters here automatically assume that someone is a "nazi", "douchebag" or "alt-right" based on a haircut. Hell, someone even said on the first page that they would punch a dude with this cut. Would love to see those guys' current haircuts. Sounds like insecurity tbh.

I tried it a few times cos my woman said she finds it nice looking. Now I'm keeping it high n tight mostly. Wear your hair whatever way suits your head/skull shape the best.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
The minute you abandon something, whether a haircut or political discourse, to an extreme, and distance yourself from it due to perceived taint, you lose the fight.

So screw that, I will keep my fash cut. And it isn't a fash cut anyway. Lots of dapper British pilots and street-tough GIs sported the same haircut.

Hair aside, I find it worrying that our way of dealing with political discourse these days is routed through the prism of consumerism - whether it's haircuts or buying pink shirts as a political stance. There are bigger things at play than expressing yourself through a consumable object, and we have all become conduits for capitalism, where we express ourselves and define ourselves, and others, through the prism of what we purchase.

Sad.

Mendrox

The minute you abandon something, whether a haircut or political discourse, to an extreme, and distance yourself from it due to perceived taint, you lose the fight.

So screw that, I will keep my fash cut. And it isn't a fash cut anyway. Lots of dapper British pilots and street-tough GIs sported the same haircut.

Hair aside, I find it worrying that our way of dealing with political discourse these days is routed through the prism of consumerism - whether it's haircuts or buying pink shirts as a political stance. There are bigger things at play than expressing yourself through a consumable object, and we have all become conduits for capitalism, where we express ourselves and define ourselves, and others, through the prism of what we purchase.

Sad.

Yes let us all still use Pepe too.

It was a stupid hair cut to begin with.

You fucking kids today with your weird haircuts. In my day when you buzzed your hair you buzzed the whole head

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
There's nothing to be safe from. This opinion has zero social media traction. This random article with literally 2 favorites on twitter is the only article I can find that expresses this bizarre viewpoint. I don't even know how the OP found this article.

You're right! I live in a red state--I'm just blending in so they don't know I'm not down with fascism.

Lkr

I don't even know if I'm rocking an undercut after this last trip to the barber. I had it grown out on top long enough for the high 0 fade on the sides/back would look badass but then he went and took half off the length of the top of my hair off when I asked him to "clean it up"

No shit it's a hitler youth cut, people have been making this joke for 10 years at least. The only thing I don't understand is what makes it hitler youth cut when other western societies had similar hair styles at the same time?

Mendrox

There's nothing to be safe from. This opinion has zero social media traction. This random article with literally 2 favorites on twitter is the only article I can find that expresses this bizarre viewpoint. I don't even know how the OP found this article.

Right, because that's totally the same thing. Can you show me one alt-right person besides Spencer with this haircut?

You know the alt right has taken your precious anime from you already, right big guy?

*sigh* Really? Disqualified.

Yeah you are right it's totally not the same. Pepe was comic and a meme after this and now nobody should use him anymore. The undercut was always the Hitler Youth haircut. Hmm?

Edit: I am also small!!! :mad:

*sigh* Really? Disqualified.

Yeah you are right it's totally not the same. Pepe was comic and a meme after this and now nobody should use him anymore. The undercut was always the Hitler Youth haircut. Hmm?

The undercut started out as a haircut for working class people around the turn of the century.

A haircut is also not the same as a meme. When coopted by Nazis, memes being clearly problematic because of the nature of what memes are supposed to do. The entire point of memes is to spread an idea within a culture (in Pepe's case, Nazi/white supremacist culture).

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Sorry mate, but when the New York Times wrote about the (re)emergence of this haircut back in 2011, it already had the Hitler Youth label attached to it. As far as I'm concerned, Nazis aren't jumping on it now, it was always associated with them to beginn with.

Always been? Or did the Hitler Youth steal it from 30s France?

Mr. Schuman has even worn the hairstyle himself, though he was unaware of the Hitler association. “You pick up a Doisneau book, or any photography book of Paris in the ’30s, and almost all the guys had that cut,” he said.

Lkr

Will we ever reach a point where you can go to the barber and get a hitler mustache? For the rest of us mere mortals, not counting Michael Jordan

Am I the only one who thinks associating a haircut exclusively with a hate group is ridiculous? Not a fan of the cut in general, but individuals should be able to have a benign hipster haircut without being called a nazi. It's like assuming everyone white dude with a shaved head is a skinhead.

WedgeX

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks associating a haircut exclusively with a hate group is ridiculous? Not a fan of the cut in general, but individuals should be able to have a benign hipster haircut without being called a nazi. It's like assuming everyone white dude with a shaved head is a skinhead.

This is common throughout human history. Perhaps most so with Nazis.

I have never seen anyone rock a Charlie Chaplin, for instance.

Gaf hates any man who showers regularly and maintains good hygiene.

Next month we are going to read that Neo-Nazis have ruined showering, grooming, working out, and wearing fitting clothes.

Actually i now remember seeing one of those mentioned in this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom