• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2016 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kettch

Seems like a fairly poor year for anime overall to me. I didn't watch a whole lot, so I didn't vote, but none of the ones I did see blew me away (Mob, KonoSuba, MHA, Re:Zero, Erased, Euphonium).

Euphonium was probably my favorite of the year and that kinda says a lot what with it being a second season continuation. I'd probably put it a bit above the middle of my all-time KyoAni rankings.

I should check out Rakugo and Haikyuu though, as I tend to unfairly skip over theme series like that.

pbayne

lol isn't One Punch man season two coming this year. ONE going for a three year sweep.

Nice surprise seeing Doukyuusei breaking the top 5 in movies.

Seems like a fairly poor year for anime overall to me. I didn't watch a whole lot, so I didn't vote, but none of the ones I did see blew me away (Mob, KonoSuba, MHA, Re:Zero, Erased, Euphonium).

Euphonium was probably my favorite of the year and that kinda says a lot what with it being a second season continuation. I'd probably put it a bit above the middle of my all-time KyoAni rankings.

I should check out Rakugo and Haikyuu though, as I tend to unfairly skip over theme series like that.

Funny you should say that, since Sound Euphonium S2 was the biggest disappointment of 2016 for me after the first season was my favorite TV anime of 2015. Just a mess from a storytelling perspective. Overall I felt like 2016 was a solid year, though. Mob was a wildly creative showcase, we got well made grounded dramas in Rakugo Shinjuu and Great Passage, Igarashi finally made a good show again, and Kizumonogatari somehow came out. I can't complain about the year as a whole.

Fbh

Man, I somehow didn't see the voting thread.
Still, while it was a pretty bad year for anime, I'm glad that the only 4 shows I enjoyed this year made it to the top 10 (Mob Psycho, Jojo, Thunderbolt Fantasy and to a lesser degree Erased which was really cool early on but fell apart towards the end IMO)

Will have to check out KonoSuba. I only ever saw pics of it and since it looked like a generic harem waifu show I just ignored it. But seeing it so high on the list with people commenting on the humor makes me want to give it a chance

zulux21

Man the middle-ish spot were pretty close! 50 some points aint much!

ac253b517447e662ac1959140df4e4a8.gif

well.. actually if you go by the secondary counts we had...
thunderbolt was only 1 point away from MHA :p

but the order should be right on the list right now at least.

as for my thoughts on the results.
I am sad re:zero didn't do better but I don't care too much as it at least beat kizainver or whatever it was called.

Two different ONE shows dominated two years in a row. Can't wait for OPM season 2 to win next year :p

there is indeed decent odds one punch man season 2 wins this year.

though my hero acidemia season 2 is also going to be awesome.

super heroes taking over japan too :p

CDiggity

Ah boo, there's nothing blatantly wrong with the results imo. I wanted blood.

2017 will certainly be interesting given all the anticipated sequels. Wouldn't be surprised if a voter on the 2017 list make a list of only Spring 2017 shows.

zulux21

Pretty much my only issue with the results. Everything else did about as well as I thought it would.

to be fair at 5 minute episodes and a couple bad episodes to start it shouldn't be surprising saiki didn't end up higher. it's gonna take a while for people to realize it's a good comedy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think this is the first time where I've voted and not one of my choices made it to the top 10. Also, I've only watched one of the top 10 in general. Sad, but oh well.

Really wish there was a Ping Pong-like show to grab my attention again, but I'm at the point where I just watch Gintama and SatoJun shows. lol

Cornbread78

No you dummy, the quality score from votes. The auditors checked and confirmed that Rakugo won the quality ranking. Jeez how bad are you at organizing this "X of the Year" thing. There are standards!

Ok, Ok, I'm sorry, below are some 2016 quality awards for you:

Catgirlboy of the year:
Ferris:
pnx3tWU.png

Ship of the year that broke the Crunchyroll awards and anime fans are now bitter because their waifu got trashed:
Yuri x Victor, YuriYaoi on Ice
Hld4eOa.jpg

OMG, that fu(king hurt moment of the year:
WVG2b8n.png

I'm sorry man, I really am.

Dance of the year:
Tsumugi, Sweetness and Lightning
jXJYXJt.gif

enough said/seen. Dancing with the Stars ain't got nutin' on this wiz kid!

$hitiest show of the year:
Big Order-
uez41dD.jpg

Yeah, remember this scene from the PV? Yup, this never happened in the anime. What's better is who he actually does end up bangin' in the show. Fu(k this trash.

Fu(k you Okada for wasting my time show of the year:
The Lost Village-
XpPjBGD.jpg

Non-Hentai, hentai of the year:
Masou Gakuen HxH-
Epi5iGm.gif

This is all you need to see

DTL Show of the year-
Trickster-
O62903G.jpg

DTL is a man that walks his own path in life. He stands true to his own volition and may have been the only GAFfer to watch this show, but it deserves to be highlighted because of this. Support this stuff!

Show more of you fu(kers should be watching, but don’t because you hated the game:
Tales of Zestiria the X-
BgkaWXT.jpg

This show is just awesome, just pure awesome, not even an ouch of sarcasm here. Truly quality stuff.

Cornbread78

Do you seriously not know what I'm talking about?

TUSR please educate this scrub on voting stats.

I basically cut n' pasted last years' thread and updated the information. I don't have time to do a statistical analysis of votes to see what show got the most "10" votes, etc. Raw data is available using the link in OP in case someone wants to start breaking down the data and creating additional statistical categories that make them happy.

LflhQhC.jpg

Why does 11 start at 1?
Because I used the list function and it made me start at 1, instead of 11..... I tried.

I basically cut n' pasted last years' thread and updated the information. I don't have time to do a statistical analysis of votes to see what show got the most "10" votes, etc. Raw data is available using the link in OP in case someone wants to start breaking down the data and creating additional statistical categories that make them happy.

LflhQhC.jpg

You have the data. Just sort by last column of your spreadsheet.

Just be sure to put Glitter Force Part 2 at the top tyia.

Huh, guess GAF wasn't as into Yuri on Ice as I'd thought. Everywhere else I go, people are head-over-heels for it.

Kinda honoured that my quote got used for jojo, heh. Never saw mob psycho 100 so I dunno how it compares but I'm not surprised and pretty glad DIU ranked that highly.

Nothing majorly disagreeable here. Pretty good list this year, especially when compared to the happenings of Crunchyrolls list

All this tells me is 2016 was a slow year. A show where a guy has the power to steal underwear is rated highly? ugh.

I don't know why that in particular was pointed out, It only happens in 1 episode for a total of maybe 30 seconds between the occurrences. Though the circumstances that lead to it, and immediately after it leave you choking of laughter with a comedy formula that the show has seemingly perfected for itself.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If 'Totally Official Results' was a joke banner by me for my ballot to say they weren't the official results does that mean these having the same name makes these a bad knock-off of the totally official results that is my ballot?

Tizoc

Mob psycho 100 as #1 shows gaf has true class and appreciates quality anime
You all do me proud
Jojo at #2 is fine as well

Andrew J.

Traditionally, I always watch the highest-ranked show that I never saw, which this year is...Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

God dammit.

I hope it's less boring than it looks.

gargles

Glad seeing Kiznaiver in this Top 10. Despite its flaws and what could have been, I really loved that anime. Good to see it here, even if it is at #9.
Top 3 was expected. They're all amazing shows and every single one of them could win AOTY without any commotion. Excellent Top 3, solid Top 10. Yes, this is a good list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom