• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF: Create the Official Box Art for the EU Release of BlazBlue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexa

Banned
ARC Euro said:
from junior member Tapio
976781_tapio-blazblue01.jpg

thx!
like it :)

Did a second iteration with the official logo in it by turning the abstract background into a graffiti wall.

It adds a little bit to it, but I'm not sure if it's too distracting or not...
blazbluecover2.jpg

Just finished this one. Not all that happy with it, but I wanted to get the idea out of my system.
brain fart[IMG]

edit: Yeah, not happy with this garbage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
radiantdreamer said:
Just finished this one. Not all that happy with it, but I wanted to get the idea out of my system.
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac301/radiantdreamer/blazbluecover3.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.doodstormer.zoomshare.com/files/over9000ry4.jpg

Just kidding, looks great.

976781_tapio-blazblue01.jpg

Another really nice one.

Not keen on any of this arty stuff, I have to say. For the boxart I mean. It's all very nice in it's own right though.

Katana_Strikes said:
http://www.biggerbids.com/members/images/15877/public/976781_tapio-blazblue01.jpg[IMG]

Another really nice one.

Not keen on any of this arty stuff, I have to say. For the boxart I mean. It's all very nice in it's own right though.[/QUOTE]

yeah, but it seems that that is what Arc Euro was looking for - GAF Collection style cover art.

radiantdreamer said:
Did a second iteration with the official logo in it by turning the abstract background into a graffiti wall.

blazbluecover2.jpg

This is filled with win.

ugh! looking at my last piece again, it needs salvaging...
Toned down all the crazy filters, fixed the eye so it's not SO crazy looking, and fixed the overall proportions. I think this one looks a bit better...

unsalvageable brain fart[IMG]

Actually no, I still don't like it. What a brain fart that was. :lol

Degen

radiantdreamer said:

blazbluecover2.jpg

13_BowingDown.jpg

radiantdreamer said:

blazbluecover2.jpg
SWEET JESUS.

This is amazing.

Darkpen

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
You got a week or so left dude, plenty of time to whip something out.
oh shit, what? I gave up and never came back to the thread until now :lol

Please submit your drawing in .pdf or .jpg format before the end of September.

Did this change or something? :S

edit:
Original due date of end September has passed..
Due to some request of extension of submission, we would like to keep it open until end of next week.
Meanwhile, we will prepare the voting mechanism!
blergh!

Acosta

radiantdreamer said:

blazbluecover2.jpg

It´s really fantastic radiantdreamer, still my favourite. Just some random thoughts in case they can be of any help:

-The black paint would look more natural if it was painted up and down, as it is now (messed up, regular down) looks distracting and unnatural to me at least. Perhaps if the black painting looked messed both sides, it would look better.

-This is a bit crazy, but have you considered two characters there? Looking at it, thought that it would be great if it had two characters with the same style "crossing paths" (Ragna at the same position and Jin at the opposite for example). Probably a silly idea that looks better in my mind, but wanted to comment it.

Wish I had the talent of some people there so I could try stuff for myself. Great job everyone.

AtticusD

Neo Member
radiantdreamer said:

blazbluecover2.jpg

Amazing art. A breath of fresh air. I really really hope the game gets release with this cover.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
if it hasn't been done yet, i dare a talented artist to make an awesome box art in MS Paint, as a nod to those MS Paint threads GAF has had. :D

edit: radiantdreamer's submission is definitely the best so far.

Lackmus

Banned
radiantdreamer said:

blazbluecover2.jpg

This is pure art perfection!

This needs to win!

so1337

so1337 said:
edit: Sorry, guys. Took my submission out (for now). Wasn't quite happy with it.
So here we are. I'm finally finished. And so is my box art.
bazblue.jpg

(Much happier with this animeish rendition of Noel...)

This is the old one in case anyone wonders.
I don't really like it all that much but maybe some of you guys do.
bb2.jpg

(Yes, I forgot her belts.)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Winner [Main sku]:
(Honestly, I really see this one winning as it just looks right as a main sku boxart):

BlazBlue_boxart_20_PS3_low.jpg

BlazBlue_boxart_20_XBOX_low.jpg

~~~~~~~~~

Winner [Limited Edition]:

(Wishful prediction if a Limited/Collector's Ed. were to exist)

976774_k2-blazblue2.jpg

~~~~~~~

(fan)Artbook Cover:

blazblue_v0yce.jpg

Here is an updated version of my submission, hope you guys dig it.

Ragna_Redux_by_BlkCelebration.jpg

Might update with a version containing the logo soon.

Edit: My buddy and GAF member, Cocheese whipped this up to give an indication of how it might look with logo n stuff. Thanks!
dmuselinkblaz1.jpg

zoukka

Radiandreamers dubmission looks ok, but I really think it doesn't portray the feeling of the game at all. DM_Uselink is closer, but it really needs an opposing character too. Create that and win man.

Degen

DM_Uselink's latest is amazing. That's better than a lot of official artwork. They have to use it for something.

Thanks zoukka and Degen, I appreciate the kind words.
I don't know if I will be able to make any more drastic changes to my entry, but I will post if I can.

Of all places, someone on youtube found my work, and pm'd me to ask for a favor to submit his cover art before the deadline because he's not yet authorized to post on GAF. He's emailed it to Arc Euro, but in before just in case they miss it:

BlazBlueEuropeanBoxArtEntry100compl.png

BlazBlueEuropeanCoverArt.png

BlazBlueEuropeanDiscArt.png

radiantdreamer said:

blazbluecover2.jpg

Love it! Would still like to see how it looks as an actual 360/PS3 boxart but this is my clear favourite.

Acidote

radiantdreamer said:

blazbluecover2.jpg

You, sir, have my vote.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I suspect people are joining GAF solely for the chance of winning a free game. Kind of takes the point out of making it a "GAF only" contest imo.

Edit: Sure, it adds to the total number of members, but will these members be active(?), and why not announce the contest somewhere else if anyone can participate?

Anyway, it's almost over anyway so I guess it doesn't matter if we get a few new contributions.

Sword Familiar said:
I suspect people are joining GAF solely for the chance of winning a free game. Kind of takes the point out of making it a "GAF only" contest imo.

Edit: Sure, it adds to the total number of members, but will these members be active(?), and why not announce the contest somewhere else if anyone can participate?

Anyway, it's almost over anyway so I guess it doesn't matter if we get a few new contributions.

Hmmm... now that I think about it, you're absolutely right about that.
It's nice to see new entries, and some of them are pretty sweet, but it does defeat the purpose of it being a gaf only contest.

I thought I was doing someone a harmless favor, and never thought about how it would actually impact the contest. Arc Euro should decide what to do then.

I'm so excited!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
radiantdreamer said:
Hmmm... now that I think about it, you're absolutely right about that.
It's nice to see new entries, and some of them are pretty sweet, but it does defeat the purpose of it being a gaf only contest.

I thought I was doing someone a harmless favor, and never thought about how it would actually impact the contest. Arc Euro should decide what to do then.

I'm so excited!

In any case, I think you have one of the sweetest contributions to this contest. It may not look like a fighting game, but it seriously rocks!

Darkpen

Banned
I'll be honest, modus, I don't like his face. At all. And his hair, too. I like everything else that doesn't suffer uncanny valley, like the hand, and the more graphic-design aspects of it, but the face and hair just sucks. The nature of the shading and how his face and hair is drawn is at complete odds with the rest of his design. If it looked more uniform in terms of "brush strokes," if you will, then I think it would look more slick.

Also, his face reminds me too much of that one Japanese actor who's been in Death Note and Battle Royale. He has a really meh face :/

On a different note, unless this contest gets extended again (lol), I don't think I'll be able to make an entry. Found out about the contest too late, and I can't think of anything awesome that isn't artist brain farting.

Wow, I'm not arty enough to make an entry but everything here looks great!

Its a shame we have to pick one!

Maybe there could be some artbook (Or gallery ingame) with a bunch of the entries.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
OatmealMu said:

Like I said before. Absolutely best piece here, would look stunning on a cover.

Darkpen said:
I'll be honest, modus, I don't like his face. At all. And his hair, too. I like everything else that doesn't suffer uncanny valley, like the hand, and the more graphic-design aspects of it, but the face and hair just sucks. The nature of the shading and how his face and hair is drawn is at complete odds with the rest of his design. If it looked more uniform in terms of "brush strokes," if you will, then I think it would look more slick.

Also, his face reminds me too much of that one Japanese actor who's been in Death Note and Battle Royale. He has a really meh face :/

On a different note, unless this contest gets extended again (lol), I don't think I'll be able to make an entry. Found out about the contest too late, and I can't think of anything awesome that isn't artist brain farting.

A word on harsh criticism, which is what this is:

Youre not "wrong", but you need to work on your delivery. First off, this is not an art forum, so your opinion is something that should be requested and not thrown out there. Modus is not making a game and hes contributing to the forum with his submission, so he doesnt deserve a comment that I would expect to see in a "Wii Fit is killing videogames" thread. I know that this is NeoGAF and that everybody is an asshole, but there are levels.

Second, when you throw words like "suck" and "meh" around in a critique you need to be able to back that up, after seeing your DA page ... I would reconsider using that vernacular in the future. It happens that I agree that this is not Modus' best work, but if he wants my opinion I'll send it to him via PM.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'll start whipping up the voting thread. I'm thinking a weighted top 3 per person would net good results for the best 10 without making things too complicated, but I'm open to suggestions with how to handle the voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom