• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Punch-Out!!: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 16th-31st)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So, I arrived at Aran Ryan and I think I can beat him no problem (well, no problem is a relative term, but I've brought him down to the 3rd round without huge difficulties after a few attempts, so he seems very beatable), but I need to know one thing: how can I dodge his grab. After landing a Super Punch he will grab me right away and I need to know if/how to stop him from doing that.

A well timed super punch cancels his grab. It takes practice. Once you get it he is free, just a loop until death.

Next fight... I'm at an hour into it and no pattern memorized :(

CassSept

Whew, I think that's the end of the line for me in regards to speedruns. I know you can get SMM under 20 seconds, hell, world record is under 10 seconds, but I just can't get the timing down to nail the strat and I've already spent waaay too much time doing this challenge.

fxc0NBO.jpg

I think I'll agree with some others, the game is somewhat addicting but not really fun-addicting, it's mostly repetition and trial and error. It's not an outright bad game, but I wouldn't regard it too highly.

#vodka

Psxphile

So, I arrived at Aran Ryan and I think I can beat him no problem (well, no problem is a relative term, but I've brought him down to the 3rd round without huge difficulties after a few attempts, so he seems very beatable), but I need to know one thing: how can I dodge his grab. After landing a Super Punch he will grab me right away and I need to know if/how to stop him from doing that.

His grab can't be dodged. You need to either not give him the opportunity to use it (i.e., no Uppercut/Hook Knockout Punches) or learn the correct timing to punch him as he comes at you (can be a Knockout Punch to the body, and the window to connect is incredibly small + will just make him counter again). Rapid Fire Knockout Punches won't trigger his grab counter so those you can use freely. The only time you should use an Uppercut or Hook is when he's low on health (otherwise he won't go down) or if you can perfect hitting him during his counter.

Jarnet87

This was the first game I tried out when I got the system, and I suck at it. Piston Hurricane keeps wrecking me. Don’t want to look up a guide though.

Thud

This was the first game I tried out when I got the system, and I suck at it. Piston Hurricane keeps wrecking me. Don’t want to look up a guide though.

Piston has many holes in his defense. Alternate between jabs and body blows and you should be good. His hurricane mode can be interrupted with a well timed punch or two.

KayMote

His grab can't be dodged. You need to either not give him the opportunity to use it (i.e., no Uppercut/Hook Knockout Punches) or learn the correct timing to punch him as he comes at you (can be a Knockout Punch to the body, and the window to connect is incredibly small + will just make him counter again). Rapid Fire Knockout Punches won't trigger his grab counter so those you can use freely. The only time you should use an Uppercut or Hook is when he's low on health (otherwise he won't go down) or if you can perfect hitting him during his counter.

Thanks a lot, but that leads me to another question: how do I perform those Rapid Fire Punches? I think so far I have used only the Knockout Punches.

gweemz

You can mimic Zallard and it’s not too bad. On Sunday I was very enthused about this whole blindfold thing. I watched his blindfold speedrun and was able to beat all four fighters in time attack mode with my eyes closed by using his techniques. There’s a certain pattern that you throw the punches that allows you to control the opponents. For Bull I broke it down into discrete chunks and practiced each phase via save state, one at the start of the fight and one after the first two knockdowns. The third knockdown comes off a bull charge which isn’t too bad to do just by hearing with practice. You may find an approach you like more but with Zallard’s method you get very fast knockdowns.

Now that I’m in the midst of the grind of the work week, I’ve lost all desire to do the star goal. Maybe when the weekend hits it will come back. I was thinking about practicing on the drive home from work yesterday and it was a completely unappealing prospect.

Go for it! I thought i was stuck on bald bull but if you can get through the first phase with the fast knockdown, you can pretty much get the other two knockdowns even if you don't follow Zallard1's moves exactly. For example, second phase I did up y, A, up y, up y, A which I think was a little easier than what z1 was doing.

I cannot get past Bald Bull. It feels like the game is unfair. I know it's not the case, but that's how it feels like.

What's the trick?

gweemz

I cannot get past Bald Bull. It feels like the game is unfair. I know it's not the case, but that's how it feels like.

What's the trick?

Punch him till he falls down.

Actually, if you can get him to do his bull rush move(where he jumps back then charges forward) a well timed punch will knock him down.

Blizzard

Banned
Counter punch is when you do an attack while your opponent does one as well.

Uppercut is a special. When the S bar under in the screen is filled press A while holding dpad up.
I apparently beat 3/4 of the game without using uppercut then.

I did the turbo punch maybe twice but didn't know how I triggered it.

Counter punch is when you do an attack while your opponent does one as well.

Uppercut is a special. When the S bar under in the screen is filled press A while holding dpad up.

Actually, if you can get him to do his bull rush move(where he jumps back then charges forward) a well timed punch will knock him down.

Thanks

I'm at Sandman now. I don't think I like this game, ha. I'll finish it, but it's kind of frustrating.

Once you know the pattern for his Bull Rush, it's an easy knockdown everytime. Just time a regular stomach punch on his third hop towards you (second hop in the third round) and he'll crumple like a house of cards.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks

I'm at Sandman now. I don't think I like this game, ha. I'll finish it, but it's kind of frustrating.
On the bright side I seem to recall you were the one who mentioned Super Mario World was "piss easy", so at least you get some balance here. :p

There are harder opponents than Sandman ahead.

TheExodu5

Banned

I learned to block Piston's hurricane attack. It's a very repeatable pattern:

Up, down, up, down, up, down, up...pause...uppercut.

Then he repeats with a slightly longer variation I think.

I tried punching him out of it, but I can't consistently do it. You need impeccable dodge (duck) timing from what I can tell.

I learned to block Piston's hurricane attack. It's a very repeatable pattern:

Up, down, up, down, up, down, up...pause...uppercut.

Then he repeats with a slightly longer variation I think.

I tried punching him out of it, but I can't consistently do it. You need impeccable dodge (duck) timing from what I can tell.

You don't need to duck. Just a regular body blow will do.

KayMote

Wow, I didn't expected it, but Heike Kageno did go down surprisingly quickly. I think I spent only around 20 minutes on this fight and could move on quickly. This is a first so far in the game! So finally it feels like all this playing payed somewhat off in getting trained in the reflexes necessary for this game.

I feel like Mad Clown might be the end for me though. This seems hard as hell after a few attempts... plus the annoying animation, when you don't hit the right spot... eh -.- This gonna be tedious.

CassSept

I feel like Mad Clown might be the end for me though. This seems hard as hell after a few attempts... plus the annoying animation, when you don't hit the right spot... eh -.- This gonna be tedious.

Focus on landing jabs. He has few rather słów combos, I believe almost all of them consist of two hits. When he begins an attack dodge left-right and go in with few jabs. Imo it's a safe and fairly consistent way of whittling down his stamina. Uppercuts deal a lot of damage too, try knocking him out with a well-timed uppercut.

KayMote

Focus on landing jabs. He has few rather słów combos, I believe almost all of them consist of two hits. When he begins an attack dodge left-right and go in with few jabs. Imo it's a safe and fairly consistent way of whittling down his stamina. Uppercuts deal a lot of damage too, try knocking him out with a well-timed uppercut.

Thanks a lot! I can't believe it: I got the bad mofo clown! :D Even in 1'24! Now it's only one fight that's in my way till the first goal! I feel really relieved right now!

nickerous

Down goes Quarlow! Down goes Quarlow!

Wow, 20 years I’ve waited to beat that chump...then Rick Bruiser beat me 4 times in a row.....I got his health down to halfway....once

randomkid

so i know this series is a little #problematic but i do not recall every seeing a jamaican literally shuck and jive in either the NES or Wii versions ...

this is still really fun and the visuals are fantastic but as a first time player i can't believe how bad the music is. coming from the other two games it's really rough!

Finished the second league, and making my way through the third (Aran Ryan was surprisingly simple to get through, but Heike Kagero is kicking my ass right now). This...is surprisingly harder than I thought it would be.

KayMote

Holy Shit! I just accidentaly found out how to Quick KO Macho Man! :D

Edit: Got him! I guess, I'm finished with this game! It was very hard, but definitely possible if you give yourself enough time to learn all these patterns. I think I have forgotten all the patterns for the previous Circuits though by now :D I guess I'll jump right away into StarFox to already get a feel for this game.

qu3brdcg.jpg

#tko

Mr Rivuz

Beaten the game and got the first place in all time attack charts, that's enough for me.
Playing blindfolded for hours (mostly for bald bull) doesn't sound fun at all to me and trying to get those crazy fast times (less than 10 seconds?!?) you see on youtube with every single opponent would take me too much time and too much savestate abuse. I've already played enough with this after beating Super Mario World.
uv31jVh.jpg

Also playing on a really shitty tv until i buy a new one after my old one died...
#euro #tko #wvba

CassSept

Wow, I didn't expect to finish this one so fast, this game really is about muscle memory first and foremost.

Interesting how all these enemies seem so daunting at first yet once you learn their patterns it gets fairly easy. I'd say Rick Bruiser is the hardest, but learning Hoy Quarlow is the most miserable experience as far as SPO is concerned, simply because while Bruiser brothers hit like a truck (like, seriously, they overtuned them) HQ is really bloody difficult at first. Monstrously so, knocking you down in 10 seconds like it's nothing.

I never played any Star Fox game so the next one will be a fairly interesting challenge too, though Mario Odyssey comes first :D

#wvba

Boke1879

I might literally just do the first challenge for this haha. Already getting frustrated.

Wish I could learn all the patterns, but I just got too many games to play and not enough time.

Why is my ending screen different? Mine is without colors, just yellow/black.

It means you lost along the way, IIRC

I think it matters if it's in Special Cup, I'm not certain. I just made sure not to lose in general.

EDIT: yeah just looked it up, you have to go 4-0 in the Special Circuit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I also am not great at Super Punch-Out but I really appreciate that everyone is going outside their comfort zone and giving this game a college try, and that a few nutcases are actually going for the blindfold run.

88Titan88

Special Circuit beaten!
Interesting how, after a while, even difficult enemies like Heike Kagero become actually easy. This game really is about getting used to adversaries that seem insurmountable at first and having that good feeling when you master them.

Mr Rivuz

I always thought Heike Kagero to be one of the easiest lol, i think i've never lost to him... Only the hair attack is somewhat dangerous but it's easy to dodge his punches.
Hoy Quarlow was probably the hardest for me, took me dozens of fights to understand how to fight him.

P.S. i think i already got the full color ending since my best record is 4-0 in every circuit, probably i just resetted after beating nick bruiser that time ^^

88Titan88

I always thought Heike Kagero to be one of the easiest lol, i think i've never lost to him... Only the hair attack is somewhat dangerous but it's easy to dodge his punches.
Hoy Quarlow was probably the hardest for me, took me dozens of fights to understand how to fight him.

P.S. i think i already got the full color ending since my best record is 4-0 in every circuit, probably i just resetted after beating nick bruiser that time ^^
I was completely crushed by his hair attack few times, because the visual cue for that attack is too similar to his body blows + heavy attack combo. But after some harder stuff in the game it's a piece of cake.

Skyless

Neo Member
Finally beat Dragon Chan on Major Circuit. If I am keeping this pace it will only take me 6-10 hours until I beat the World Circuit. I am not really digging this game but I keep coming back.

jholmes

Fuck it gimme that #vodka

If this is resuming elsewhere, please do let me know. I had a lot of fun and expected to have a lot more.

Damn do the commands even work anymore? And obviously a lot of the commands were never finished for future games... RIP this thread.. Certainly a casualty.

SpikeDaPenguin

Neo Member
If this is resuming elsewhere, please do let me know. I had a lot of fun and expected to have a lot more.

Let me know too please! The SNES Classic Club is a lot of fun and I thank Stumpokapow for the hard work put in to make it a great success! Keep it going Stumpokapow and keep me updated wherever you decide to put the SNES Classic Club next!

Top Bottom