• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Fifth Generation Awards

Jucksalbe

Banned
No real surprises in the top 25, I guess. But I'm happy The Settlers 2 made it on a list, even if it's just because of basically no competition.

Thanks for putting in all the hard work, AniHawk!

Interesting list. Only like 5 of the top 25 would make it into my personal list

Sometimes I forget how console centric GAF is

There is when FF8 is involved.

Banjo kazooie is objectively one of the worst games ever but it's in the top 10 and I'm not being this much of a turd about it

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
FFIX over VIII? The timeline has been fixed. I remember how people bitched and bitched at IX for the Super Deformed look and the non-futuristic setting back when it came out. Justice.

Tactics is way too low though.

Celine

@Ani

8. Metal Slug (Arcade, PlayStation)
9. Armed Police Batrider (Arcade, Neo Geo CD, Saturn, PlayStation)

Metal Slug of course came out on Neo Geo CD too, also on Saturn.
Armed Police Batrider was never released on Neo Geo CD.

9. Mega Man X4 (PlayStation)
Rock Man X4 came out on Saturn too.

FFIX over VIII? History proven right. I remember how people bitched and bitched at IX for the Super Deformed look and the non-futuristic setting back when it came out. Justice.

9 is a better playing game. Not a fan of 8. Even Tetra Master is better than Triple Triad.

That's me though.

demidar

That is a good-ass list. The only thing it's missing is Mission Impossible :p

Personally I'd like to see Majora's Mask at the top, but Ocarina of Time is plainly the most influential of the entire generation.

Good gen, decent list. Rayman 2 was the only outlier in my vote, I thought it left a bigger impression than that. Dat Virtual Boy ranking.

Caronte

After 16 years people are still butthurt about Final Fantasy VIII. Get over it, people.

Is Baldur's Gate 2 supposed to be 6th gen?

Maybe someday OOT's open world elements will cease to amaze and the game will be recognized for the less effective remix of LTTP that it is.

Crayolan

The most obvious #1 ever.

Still, happy to see Majora's Mask so high and pokemon GSC take the crown over RBY.

Results not too surprising. Not a single one of my top ten made Gaf's top 10.

Diddy Kong Racing robbed again. Still has better music, stage variety, and battle mode variety.

I get picking GSC over RBGY, but for everything GSC added, it lost a lot of the mystery fro m Gen 1. Missingno, rumors about Mew under the truck, etc.

You prefer gen 1 over 2 because of things which didn't exist?

Edit: Well missingno does exist but I think you know what I mean.

purdobol

Browsing through the complete list right now and it's just classic after classic. Little surprised at Half-Life spot (thought it would be higher) but than again so many great titles... can't complain.

Great work AniHawk.

Is Baldur's Gate 2 supposed to be 6th gen?

According to the voting thread rules yes. PC 1994-1999.

jett

D-Member
Maybe someday OOT's open world elements will cease to amaze and the game will be recognized for the less effective remix of LTTP that it is.

Many of these votes are the result of nostalgia. Who in their right mind would actually want to play Goldeneye today. That shit is painful.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
9 is a better playing game. Not a fan of 8. Even Tetra Master is better than Triple Triad.

That's me though.
IX not only plays better, its script isn't total garbage. It only becomes trash during the last boss, really.

Sadly, IX also has horrendously stupid loading times that prevent me from ever replaying it. It's the one PSX-era Square game that is in the most dire need for a re-release in a better performing platform.

trixx

Many of these votes are the result of nostalgia. Who in their right mind would actually want to play Goldeneye today. That shit is painful.
Defitely a great game back then. I'd put it in my top 25 but I'm not sure about it being the best fps of that gen. Although the game plays terribly today, the campaign is still a lot better than many shooters this gen and the 4 player local was pretty revolutionary.

Still I don't know about it being the best fps game

Celine

@Ani

there are two entries for World Driver Championship
206. World Driver Championship - 2
357. World Driver Championship - 0, 1 Honorable Mention

Ikon

Thanks yet again AniHawk for all the work.

Surprised at the relatively low placement of FF7. Still though, mostly great games in the top 25.

Skikkiks

While the usual suspects cleaned up, GSC over RBY makes me a happy boy. Crash 2 so close to Top 25 too.

Also,

30. Crash Team Racing - 26, 5 Honorable Mentions
31. Diddy Kong Racing - 25, 10 Honorable Mentions

amazing

demidar

How can you forget single digit fps?

Perfect Dark was even worse when there was smoke on screen.

Lain

Makes me sad to see so little love for Vagrant Story. I was hoping it would fare much better.
It's still my GOTG though, no matter what any vote says!

Wazzy

Banned
I got quoted for Tactics but not VIII, my favourite and the one I spent most time writing?

Damn you Ani! :,(

Also happy to see VIII place top 20. I think it should have placed over IX but oh well.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
For all the strong RPGs released that gen, the top RPG list isn't as interesting or diverse as I would have expected.

Melchiah

People enjoyed the games at the time, when they played them first. I don't think the point was to vote only those games you'd enjoy today. Outside of RE2, UT and Soul Reaver, I haven't played any of the games I voted in several years, and I don't think I'd enjoy something like Tomb Raider, which was also on my list, as much now as I did back then.

IX not only plays better, its script isn't total garbage. It only becomes trash during the last boss, really.

Sadly, IX also has horrendously stupid loading times that prevent me from ever replaying it. It's the one PSX-era Square game that is in the most dire need for a re-release in a better performing platform.

I agree.
People say Necron is hinted at but, I still don't see it. I love 9 but, I ain't defending that.

It needs some kind of update, even a PC release to fix those awful load times. Something. FF7 and 8 had the pleasure of having PC version when they initially came out so them coming to PC and updated a little was easy for them but, not in the case of 9.

entremet

I knew good taste would prevail.

FF8 is one of the best RPGs that generation.

I never knew FF8 was hated until I came on GAF lol.

For all the strong RPGs released that gen, the top RPG list isn't as interesting or diverse as I would have expected.

Outside of FF and Pokemon, JRPGs were still pretty niche that generation.

FFVII ranked over FFIX and Tactics not even in the top 10, list is a total sham.

Seriously though, that's a pretty damn definitive collection of not only best games of the generation, but many of the best games of all time.

JCX

The most obvious #1 ever.

Still, happy to see Majora's Mask so high and pokemon GSC take the crown over RBY.

You prefer gen 1 over 2 because of things which didn't exist?

Edit: Well missingno does exist but I think you know what I mean.

The speculation (and excitement around it) were real, even if some rumors were true and others weren't. It's precisely because you could use the Missingo trick to get infinite items that people thought Mew could be found under a truck.

RBG had a bit of mystery around them since Pokemon was brand new. It was just before internet culture became mainstream, so a lot of these things still went by word of mouth. Yellow is great because of how closely it matched with the show. Of course GSC have more features/content, but the experience was just not as impactful as Gen 1

Not to mention that RBGY still has the best gym leader and elite 4 themes and overall most iconic music in the series.

I agree.
People say Necron is hinted at but, I still don't see it. I love 9 but, I ain't defending that.

It needs some kind of update, even a PC release to fix those awful load times. Something. FF7 and 8 had the pleasure of having PC version when they initially came out so them coming to PC and updated a little was easy for them but, not in the case of 9.

I felt a lot better about that fight
once I realized that it's all about confronting death
. Works perfectly from a thematic standpoint.

This game would be perfect if the battles were faster.

Legitimately baffled at Super Street Fighter II Turbo being #88 with only one first place vote (from me). I mean god damn, that is the blueprint of fighting games.

Wazzy

Banned
I think this is still a great list but I think my expectations had VII in a better spot, Tactics over FF IX and VIII and IX just shy of top ten. Also Xenogears should be best top 10.

Jigorath

Banned

Playing through Rare Replay, I've noticed a lot of Rare's games fail to stand the test of time. Aside from Banjo and maybe Perfect Dark, most everything else has aged rather poorly. A lot of their franchises could do with a modern update.

I felt a lot better about that fight
once I realized that it's all about confronting death
. Works perfectly from a thematic standpoint.

This game would be perfect if the battles were faster.

Oh I get it on a thematic point of view just it was so hamfisted I thought it was silly.

Battles do need to be sped up for sure.

UrbanRats

Yeah, i mean i played MGS1 the other day and although the pace was brisk and i had fun, if it wasn't for nostalgia i would never have gotten to the end.
The gameplay is utter shit.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Looking at the PC games list and the top 20 I am super confused at the results.
I guess many didn't vote and those that did vote are not PC players.
But, a vote is a vote so no crying at the results from me anymore.

Top Bottom