• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Fifth Generation Awards

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying BK doesn't deserve to place in top 20 but just that I don't think it's top 10 material either.

We're talking about it beating out Paper Mario, Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VIII, Xenogears and Suikoden II.

To be fair to it, It's a little difficult to say something like that when what I just listed are all completely different style of games.

I've never played Xenogears and Suikoden, but I certainly think it is well deserved Banjo beat the other three. Though of course it is also a matter of genre preference. You seem to like RPGs the most, I like platformers the most. To be a bit more fair in regards to genres: It's a shame that FFT beat Tearring Saga!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
BIJ3yxY.png

Party
6. Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt (Nintendo 64)

357. Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt - 0, 1 Honorable Mention

I can't believe I got this shitty game on a list.

Also Anihawk, are we doing affinities or were there not enough ballots/diversity for that? And Gen 4 is coming around September of next year, right? Because I need to knock out more SNES titles before then.

edit: I think you left out my vote for Earthworm Jim on PC. It's nothing big though, since I only put it at #9.

So many better titles existed in Gen 5, a truckload, that deserved spots.
There were only 192 ballots in comparison to Gen 6's 479; blame the people who couldn't be bothered to vote.

entremet

People are surprised about Cross?

Game ages really bad and it gets tons of crap in LTTP threads all the time.

Way too many characters, disjointed narrative, and a weak battle system compared to its prequel.

Best in generation soundtrack, though.

Wazzy

Banned
I've never played Xenogears and Suikoden, but I certainly think it is well deserved Banjo beat the other three. Though of course it is also a matter of genre preference. You seem to like RPGs the most, I like platformers the most. To be a bit more fair in regards to genres: It's a shame that FFT beat Tearring Saga!
Fair enough! We definitely differ on taste preference so it's not something we can fully agree on.

I really need to replay BK because I do miss it.
People are surprised about Cross?

Game ages really bad and it gets tons of crap in LTTP threads all the time.

Way too many characters, disjointed narrative, and a weak battle system compared to its prequel.

Best in generation soundtrack, though.
Eh. For all CC's flaws, there's still many great things going for it. It's a huge game with lot's of content that can leave you playing for hours. There's replay value and the art direction is gorgeous.

It might not be the greatest game ever but it's still good.

Very solid list, especially with IX cracking the top 10. No idea what FF VIII is doing on this list, personally, but other than that it feels like a good representation of some of the best that generation had to offer.

There were only 192 ballots in comparison to Gen 6's 479; blame the people who couldn't be bothered to vote.

I don't think it's just people not being bothered, but also that the farther back in time you go, the fewer people here will have completed enough games in a generation to feel comfortable voting on the best.

Lothar

Banned
Why is Xenogears so low? Anyone who thinks Final Fantasy VIII is better than Xenogears should not be giving opinions.

redcrayon

I don't think it's just people not being bothered, but also that the farther back in time you go, the fewer people here will have completed enough games in a generation to feel comfortable voting on the best.
I think you'd get more votes on an 8-bit or 16-bit poll though, mainly as they tend to be fairly short games that younger gamers can easily have played through even if they weren't around at the time. Fifth generation is where a lot of the 3D titles started becoming really long games in comparison to their 2D forebears, due to less compact levels, more tutorials, more cut scenes etc etc.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty true. Hell, I even need to scramble to get more Gen 4 games under my belt if I want to vote next time...

I still find the poor PC representation a shame though.

u didnt include my votes bcause of that?? lmao..fukn fascist geeks...

Well, now Anihawk won't be able to fix his mistake because you erased your list, soooo...

edit: You're lucky I still had that thread open for my own votes, if Anihawk still wants to include yours.

1. Goldeneye 007
2. Virtua Fighter 2 - Best fighting game ever. Good port to the Saturn..
3. Zelda Ocarina of Time
4. Waverace 64
5. Gran Turismo 2
6. World Driver Championship (underrated imo)
7. Beetle Adventure Racing
8. Colin Mcrae 2.0 (PSX)
9. Road Rash (3DO)
10. Monster Truck Madness 2 (PC) First game I ever went "online" with. fun stuff...

a lot of racing games i know...MGS, Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon II and Mario64 worth mentioning as well

megalowho

Old PC vets clearly didn't care about this list.
I did my part, but it was clear from the voting thread the list would be heavily biased towards console, specifically Nintendo. Don't think it's the best representation of the era because of it, but still an interesting retrospective.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
One of these days I hope to experience what the fuzz is about. I have started the game like 4 times between different versions (64, GC, 3DS) and I just can't get into it. It's not like I hate the Zelda formula, I really like Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Alundra for example. And it's not about nostalgia factor either since I did try it out when it was fresh but there was just nothing for me when I got a chance to sit down with N64 compared to Mario 64 for example or hell, Mario Party.

I just need to force myself to play it entire way through someday. I think the furthest I have gotten is after the mountain dungeon or something.
Ocarina of Time came at a time when the best example of a 3D action aventure game was Tomb Raider. You had to be there.

Personally, I think Majora's Mask is better, but that game is marred by some design decisions that prevent it from enduring in the mainstream's conscience the way Ocarina did.

Tenebrous

Goldeneye...better than Half-Life, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament?

ayy lmao

By todays standards? Not a chance.
By 1990s standards? Not a chance.

It was the Halo of the 90s. Spectacular for the console, average/horrible in comparison to PC offerings.

Still loved it, though!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I am surprised Sin and Punishment got 2nd place in the shooter ranking. I thought the Panzer Dragoons would beat it only because of exposure.

Wazzy

Banned
Why is Xenogears so low? Anyone who thinks Final Fantasy VIII is better than Xenogears should not be giving opinions.
I can list many reasons why I think VIII is better than Xenogears and I'm a huge fan of a Xeno. But man the dismissive attitude and lack of attempt at discussion is pretty shitty.

Ocarina of Time came at a time when the best example of a 3D action aventure game was Tomb Raider. You had to be there.

Personally, I think Majora's Mask is better, but that game is marred by some design decisions that prevent it from enduring in the mainstream's conscience the way Ocarina did.

But I was there, and I love the original TR :(

entremet

Fair enough! We definitely differ on taste preference so it's not something we can fully agree on.

I really need to replay BK because I do miss it.

Eh. For all CC's flaws, there's still many great things going for it. It's a huge game with lot's of content that can leave you playing for hours. There's replay value and the art direction is gorgeous.

It might not be the greatest game ever but it's still good.

It's good, but it's not top 25 of the generation material. That's all.

Ninjimbo

Great top three. So many Japanese games in the top twenty. It makes me realize just how dominant Japan was during that time.

Wensih

That's the reason why I didn't vote. I've gone in and started to fill in my history of the era, but during the era all I was playing was Pokemon RBY, GSC, Stadium, and Snap.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Looking through the top 10, I have played all games, but FFVII and Castlevania. Castlevania is extremely expensive though. Having played and not liked Castlevania IV on SNES all too much, would it still be worth it to check it out? It is the initial Metroid-style Castlevania, right? Are there cheaper options of "almost as good" games that are worth checking out to see if I should play this game? Before I get FFVII (which thankfully isn't too expensive) I'll first have to finish IX, which I like a lot (way more than IV, X, XIII-3 and VIII, but less than Chrono Trigger).

Great work Anihawk. Very happy with the results, the top 25 is flawless.

BTW, according to this list most of GAF thinks N64 > PSX.

Both are great, I don't think one is better than the other having grown up playing both. Though I would say that the N64 had the more revolutionary games like Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and Golden Eye, while the PS1 will be remembered for it's wide range of game variety, practical use of the disk format allowing for games like Final Fantasy VII to be made.

Zalman

Looking through the top 10, I have played all games, but FFVII and Castlevania. Castlevania is extremely expensive though. Having played and not liked Castlevania IV on SNES all too much, would it still be worth it to check it out? It is the initial Metroid-style Castlevania, right? Are there cheaper options of "almost as good" games that are worth checking out to see if I should play this game? Before I get FFVII (which thankfully isn't too expensive) I'll first have to finish IX, which I like a lot (way more than IV, X, XIII-3 and VIII, but less than Chrono Trigger).
Symphony of the Night is the first Metroid-inspired game, yes. Aria of Sorrow on GBA is known for being one of the best in the series as well, and it continues the SotN style. You can probably find that cheaper. The DS games are great too.

Majestad

Banned
That's a pretty fantastic list. Although I'm pretty surprised at the lack of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3. That game was incredible.

GamerJM

Banned
Great work AniHawk! Like I said, I'm still surprised at the RPGs. More their placings than their quantities though. FF7 is often considered in contention for GotG but it was at 5. And like others have said N64 dominated, which surprised me since GAF is more global than a lot of other forums I've been to.

Now to give my opinions on all of the top 25, and see which ones I have/haven't played!

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time-Not my pick for GotG but absolutely, absolutely deserving. I didn't really give this game a good go until its 2011 remake, and the whole time I was incredibly impressed at how this was a game from 1998. In terms of 3D game design it's seemingly so far ahead of everything else at the time. It's the Super Mario Galaxy of Zelda games in how well-designed each dungeon feels.

Super Mario 64-Definitely the most influential game this gen but I've never loved it outside of those terms. As a kid playing this in the early 2000s I saw it as merely good. I feel like I should give it another go, because watching speedruns of this game is a blast. Still, it's good and incredibly influential so I understand it more than other games I've seen rank this high on lists.

Metal Gear Solid-I've never played. I loathe stealth games and any type of stealth mechanic so I have no interest. I'm a little tempted to watch a Let's Play so I can understand how iconic it is.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask-Haven't played. I need to. For the longest time I was afraid to play this game because time limits (even inconsequential ones) deeply hamper my enjoyment of games, but after all the praise this one's gotten in the last 5 years or so it's a must-play game.

Final Fantasy VII-Overrated. Admittedly I still need to finish it but the battle animations and stiff graphics just make this game not hold up well. I think the SNES games and FFX are fantastic, but this didn't give me a good impression of FF on the PS1.

Castlevania:Symphony of the Night-I tried playing this and I didn't enjoy it. However, I rarely like Metroidvanias and I feel like I didn't give this game a fair shake. The art is certainly gorgeous.

Pokemon Gold/Silver-My GotG. Builds upon RGBY with more Pokemon, two regions (and yes, they both have messed up level balancing), an improved battle system, and one of the best soundtracks in any video game, and certainly on the Game Boy. Pushed the GB to its absolute limits. Even if it's not necessarily as good as gens 4-6, at the time it blew me away. To this day Johto/Kanto is still one of my favorite parts of the entire series.

Resident Evil 2-I tried Code Veronica and watched a playthrough of RE1, and I'll be honest, I can't get used to the tank controls. That being said, apparently the N64 version has an optional control scheme without them, so I'll be giving that a try at some point. I can't imagine I'll love it but it's definitely on my list of games to play.

Final Fantasy IX-Definitely on my list of games to play. Seems like the most likely PS1 FF game for me to enjoy.

Banjo-Kazooie-Haven't played, but yeah it's on my list. Will probably doing soon via Rare Replay. I've yet to play a collectathon I love so I wonder if this will do it for me, or if it'll just create more distaste for that kind of platformer on my end.

Goldeneye 007-I think people give it more crap for having aged poorly than it deserves. It's not great FPS but it certainly has its own flavor apart from the modern stuff. It's still probably overrated at number 11, but I'm sure some people who didn't vote for it would call it poorly aged garbage, which isn't completely true IMO.

Pokemon RGBY-A childhood favorite. The first game I fell in love with, and the first I could call my own. It's not as good as any of the games that followed by a longshot but I respect its place here. If you never played any of the follow-ups then this game aged better than people give it credit for (though you're robbing yourself by not playing a modern Pokemon game).

Half-Life-Never played. Not really on my radar since I didn't care much for HL2.

Paper Mario-Solid game. Honestly I dunno if I'd put it around 14, in my head this game is just so overshadowed by tTYD. But it's totally great on its own and holds up.

Suikoden II-Need to play. I've only played the beginning 30 minutes of 1 after downloading both these on PSN, and it was completely great, and gave me slight Dragon Quest vibes, so I have high hopes for these games.

Final Fantasy Tactics-I tried getting into this and couldn't. I should give it another shot. I love the FFTA games though. Actually, how come those games don't get as much love?

Final Fantasy VIII-I will play but tbh I'm not looking forward to it. Everything I've read makes it sound like something I wouldn't like.

Mario Kart 64-Definitely poorly aged, like the other racers I've played this gen honestly. The handling is so much worse than Double Dash and MKDS to me. I get that it was a classic multiplayer staple, but still.

Star Fox 64-I get that this is a classic but I can't get into it. I'm not a rail shooter guy.

Silent Hill-Haven't played. Does this have tank controls in an isometric game? I don't know much about it and it seems generally overshadowed by 2. I have it on PSN I think.

Super Smash Bros- Eclipsed by Melee I actually think this game deserved more credit. At a casual level it still feels totally unique and at a competitive level "zero-to-death: the game," is actually fairly compelling. Though in terms of features and characters and whatnot it's totally dwarfed.

Tekken 3-This game's alright. I never got why people hold it in such high regard to this day. 5 and 6 seem similar but better. And I don't think either of those are great either.

StarCraft-I tried playing this at my friend's house way back in the day and couldn't get into it. RTS games just aren't fun to me.

Planescape Torment-I'm not usually a PC RPG guy but I probably should give this a shot now that I think about it.

Panzer Dragoon Saga-I need to give this a shot. I'm definitely afraid to plop down the money at some point. There's always the possibility that I won't like it, which seems possible and would mean a huge waste of cash.

AniHawk

I got quoted for Tactics but not VIII, my favourite and the one I spent most time writing?

Damn you Ani! :,(

Also happy to see VIII place top 20. I think it should have placed over IX but oh well.

yours was the favorite one of mine i could find for fft. i was hoping others would agree and that some would check out your post. i didn't want to condense it down (which is something i did for some - omitting sentences and ending others earlier)

AniHawk

IAlso Anihawk, are we doing affinities or were there not enough ballots/diversity for that? And Gen 4 is coming around September of next year, right? Because I need to knock out more SNES titles before then.

affinities should be a go sometime tomorrow. it's actually dependent on cheesemeister who has no stake in this thread really and works on it during very small windows of off-time.

edit: I think you left out my vote for Earthworm Jim on PC. It's nothing big though, since I only put it at #9.

weird. i couldn't find examples of it so i left it off. i'll go ahead and throw it on.

AniHawk

I did my part, but it was clear from the voting thread the list would be heavily biased towards console, specifically Nintendo. Don't think it's the best representation of the era because of it, but still an interesting retrospective.

the psx collectors/appreciation thread was reached, and i contacted the other console collection/appreciation threads from that era, and sent out a reminder on the final day to each, too.

Eolz

"fukn fascist geeks" is definitely tag worthy.

But yeah, people complaining should remind people to vote, just as understand that sadly, Gaf is mainly console and mainstream centric.
Of course it was a popularity contest, that's the point.

ohlawd

I can't help it. Even if I don't like OOT I can respect it. What I cannot respect is Mario Kart 64 so far above Crash Team Racing. That is like saying pineapple doesn't belong on pizza or something. Tearing my hair off here.

actually, you're fine. I wasn't referring to you at all. I don't wanna say what I mean outright but when the GotY 2015 result thread gets posted, it'll be apparent the tone in there will be way different than the GotY 2014 thread

well, almost fine

DKR >>>>>> those two :p

AniHawk

I can't help it. Even if I don't like OOT I can respect it. What I cannot respect is Mario Kart 64 so far above Crash Team Racing. That is like saying pineapple doesn't belong on pizza or something. Tearing my hair off here.

i thought the three people would have most issues with are mk64 over gran turismo 2 or dkr, smash bros. over tekken 3, and goldeneye over half-life 2. no one has really taken issue with that second one.

i played ctr for the first time last year - the courses seem fine but they are a chore to get to. unskippable voiced text in my kart racing game? thanks naughty dog, you are so ahead of the curve that i still don't think we're there yet.

JDHarbs

I thought GAF did a great job voting on the Gen 6 thread. I pretty much agreed with the entire list, but this one seems a bit all over the place. I think it might have something to do with a larger amount of games from this gen missing ports to current platforms.

Anyway, what is the next vote supposed to be? Backwards to Gen 4 or are we ready for a Gen 7?

Top Bottom